IMDb > Arsenal (2017) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Arsenal

Arsenal More at IMDbPro »

By the numbers DTV effort with a terrible lead and good supporting actors.

Author: nathan_kugan from Malaysia
7 January 2017

Not sure who thought Adrian Grenier was a good lead in an actioner but he kinda seemed out of place in his role. Not to say he is a bad actor but he didn't fit the role here. The best role and acting in the movie belongs to Johnathon Schaech. He might have played a supporting role but his character had the character development and emotional layers to it. They could have just focused the story on his and Nicolas Cage's character. And coming to Nicolas Cage, say what u want about the man but he still really do a great job in whatever role he takes up. This movie may not be up to his standards as an actor but he played the role the second time in the best way possible. Of course,when he did this role the 1st time,he had more screen time and more craziness to his character. Here,it's toned down a little. I would say that's a mistake on the director and screen writer's part because Nicolas Cage is easily the selling factor of the movie and why would you limit his screen time and the amount of crazy acting he could deliver? Still,Nicolas Cage did a great job and the movie is easily worth watching for him but i do wish he takes less roles like this and returns to serious,award worthy roles and movies. He has the talent and would be such a waste to be a regular in movies like this. The movie itself wasn't a terrible one and at the same time,isn't anything to rush out and watch. Too average and doesn't have any factor that puts it different from other DTV movies except for the presence of Nicolas Cage. It's nice to watch once but that's it.

enjoyable...not taxing on the brain..adrenaline pumping

Author: bcheng93 from ny ny
7 January 2017

john cusack shares top billing but is not in the film that much, he's in about 1/5 of the movie...popping in and out. nick cage is way too over the top, that initially turned me off a little bit but no big deal. adrien grenier is getting older and his acting tho not great is improving. this movie is ultra-violent and gory.

there's a lot of little things wrong about this film but in all honesty it was still quite enjoyable. did i mention that nick cage is way way too much over the top???

not taxing on the brain and it should get most viewers adrenaline pumping. action was good...acting was fairly good all around and the time flew by watching this movie. fairly basic plot but who cares, i totally enjoyed it. fans of crime action thrillers should like it.

surprised at the 4 rating here, i didn't try to boost it up and gave it an honest rating of 6...in my opinion its somewhere in high 5s to a 6 but will not make it pass 6. the 4 is undeserving and i really enjoy these type of films every once in a while.

no one actor(ress) stood out but everybody was competent. did i mention that nick cage was way way over the top already...hahaha...enjoy the movie for what it is, don't try to pick it apart. decent crime revenge film, in no way did i feel cheated watching this movie and i've felt cheated many times before.

Hyper-Violent Trash Masquerading as a Noir Thriller

Author: Leftbanker from Spain
8 January 2017

¡¡¡Spoiler Alert!!! One Star means awful and that's exactly what this is. I couldn't have put it better.

You can never say that Nicolas Cage has hit rock bottom because just when you think this is true he burrows down deeper making his last rock bottom look like the top of Mount Everest. How many direct-to-DVD bombs can he make before they retire him for good? Lots of blood and many very poorly choreographed fight scenes do not make an action thriller. This was a completely forgettable story and yet another script thought up by a person or people who watch too many movies. There was absolutely nothing about this film I could recommend to anyone.

Not really sure just exactly John Cusak was doing in this

Really bad Nicholas Cage time

Author: jcm800 from United States
7 January 2017

Let Me start by saying that I like good shoot em up violent crime movies, but this was not one of them by any stretch. It's going to be hard to comment on anything other than how BAD Nicholas Cage was in this movie. I will start with the false nose. I had trouble figuring out if I was watching Pinocchio or Cyrano De Bergerac or Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. And to make matters worse, the wig He was wearing was almost as bad. You would think that the costumer could have at least TRIED to make it work. I don't know if his moustache is fake or not, but it looked dumb also and don't even get me started on that bad accent. The acting was really horrible as well, I mean this guy won an Oscar for keerists sake! And a well deserved Oscar it was too. This makes the second terrible film I have seen Cage in over a couple of months. The other movie was Dog Eat Dog with another actor I used to really like Willem Dafoe. I turned that one off before it was over also. I went back and finished this one just to see if it could get any worse. I like John Cusack quite a bit too, but he is a non starter in this one and we don't see much of him in it anyway. He looks kind of silly saying F bombs like he is some kind of tough guy. I'm all for foul language used appropriately, which in this movie it is NOT. The movie sound was pretty good, if the movie was not involved and I liked some of the slo-mo gunshots and carnage. Finally, the two brothers can't throw a baseball for shiite :-) Bad Movie, Bad Nicholas Cage, BAD!

A enjoying crime film

Author: Paul Wycherley from paisley
11 January 2017

Arsenal or southern fury is a surprising adrenaline crime and betrayal film that is much better than you think.

Mickey and his brother JP have not had the best start in life but along the way the 2 brothers picked different paths with JP becoming a successful construction owner and Mikey a life of drugs and quick buck.

Despite their differences a brothers love is unbreakable with JP always looking out for his troubled older brother Mikey, throw in a erratic local mobster (Nicholas Cage) and detective and family friend (John Cusack) and you have the ingredients of a great film.

Gotta say the plot as basic as it is it's put together really well with some brutal scenes and a story that's told between the characters Arsenal is a great film, with great acting from JP (Adrian Grenier) and (Johnathan schaech) who plays Mikey, with a great supporting role from Nicholas Cage and John Cusack. yes you did read that right Cage and Cusack are great in this film.

Another bloody thriller from Steven C. Miller

Author: Savanna from Mississippi
6 January 2017

Full of blood and violence, Arsenal has clear story line and shows another side of South Mississippi. Mikey(Johnathon Schaech)and JP (Adrian Grenier) are two brothers that grew up having opposite lifestyles. After several drug deals, Mikey gets kidnapped by mobster, Eddie King (Nicolas Cage) until JP pays off his brothers debt. Due to a budget cut, Nicolas Cage's mobster get-up is the only thing that's lacking. Steven C. Miller has a unique style to his directing, which makes for an interesting film. Aside from all the harsh critics, Arsenal is a bloody thriller that accomplished what it set out to do. Not to mention, this film may give the South more filming opportunities and is better than the previous years, Precious Cargo, starring Bruce Willis.