IMDb > Be Somebody (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Be Somebody More at IMDbPro »

Cheesy Young Romance Movie -With Something to Say that Speaks to the Viewer

Author: HansenKid from North Western Canada
10 June 2016

It might just be the mood I'm in, or the fact that I've been up so late tonight, but this movie made me feel something more than the average teen romance movie has in a long time. I chose to watch this movie tonight because it happened to be uploaded onto my preferred streaming site just today, and it looked like something I could watch without really having to focus on it. While it definitely wasn't the kind of movie that required you to watch every minute of it, I still found myself pausing it every time I had to go out of ear shot. Something about this quiet film, with its very straightforward plot and unembellished characters, is just different enough to make it impactful. It reminded me that the best films are ones you don't have any expectations about at all. You don't see them coming. The acting is a little underwhelming, but it isn't a film that really asks for too much from the actors to begin with. It manages to accomplish it's goal of entertaining, without trying to be something more. Because of that, it left me feeling perfectly content. Sometimes, that's all I want from a film.

This film is very awkward, I'd suggest it if you are having trouble sleeping.

Author: nick-27819 from Australia
4 October 2016

Honestly I don't know why this was even made in the first place the two leads have no chemistry whatsoever, the acting was disgraceful, Emily (Sarah Jeffery) didn't seem to bad but she would probably be better in theater, now on to Jordan (Matthew Espinosa) a huge reason this film was probably even made his 'acting' was by far the worst thing in the film it somehow managed to be worse than the dreadful plot I don't know how he stuffed up such a simple character to play but he did he brought down his co-stars performance and everything felt so forced it was honestly hard to watch.

The story line was about as cliché and mediocre as they get, everything was predictable the romance was underwhelming as they did nothing not even a kiss (but honestly the actors would probably have messed that up to) other than that there wasn't really anything that exciting the whole film just seemed like it was a message which overall wasn't to bad it's the delivery of that message which was terrible.

Overall the message was fine I'm more surprised how bad the actors were in such a simple role especially Matthew who wants to be 'one of the greats' which is quite laughable since he is a horrendous actor(which I shouldn't even call him an actor as he's not worthy of the title) the only reason this film is a thing was because of his internet popularity he should stick to the internet and please don't do anymore movies cause if he even gets a glimpse of the real Hollywood they will laugh at his 'acting'

Similar to Starstruck

Author: villalobosmeli
20 October 2016

This movie seemed interesting as I started watching it. It was so predictable because it was identical to the movie Starstruck with Sterling Knight and Danielle Campbell.

I enjoyed it because it demonstrated a life of a typical teenager and the life of a celebrity, but a lot of the scenes we're similar to Starstruck. It took me back to that movie while watching this movie and just seeing the similarities. Other than that it's a great movie for people interested in romance (like me).

Some of the scenes really got me thinking because they were poetic with a really deep meaning.That's what made me more interested in the movie.

Good Escape

Author: d g from United States
4 October 2016

I completely agree with the other review. I picked this movie because it seemed like something whimsy that didn't need all my attention. But, like the other review also states, I found myself pausing it when I needed to step away and would rewind if I missed something. There were a couple of slow parts and I think you notice them because most movies have a lot more action. Whereas this movie just told a story with a really basic message. Even though it's a teen movie I think the message transcends to any age. You need to see the whole thing to understand why it is good, and after you watch it you think about. The movie left me hopeful. Feels weird but I don't hate it.

I took off one star due to a couple awkward scenes that have been over played in all movie plots.

awful acting by Espinoza

Author: simran vim from United Kingdom
22 November 2016

I got 30 minutes into it and i couldn't watch it anymore. Espinoza lacked very much acting wise and often made me cringe when he said things. Although the plot of the story is refreshing the acting wasn't up to par. However, compared to his castmate, Sarah Jeffrey was much better acting wise. Espinoza lacked facial expression and his voice often felt monotonous and boring. Sometimes he would prolong and stretch out some words to make things different but it still made it seem somewhat awkward. And when he did try to add some oomf it often seemed fake and forced or could have been helped with some sound. For example, the scene where Jordan confront Emily's enemy, the sarcasm would have been better with more facial emotion/sarcasm, and could have been helped with some bounce in the background like a 'hopping' tack, that would emphasize sarcasm and make the encounter less awkward and silent , and more funny.

Good Teen Movie

Author: destinylives52 from United States
9 October 2016

Better than I expected, "Be Somebody" is about a famous pop singer (played by Matthew Espinosa) who "escapes" his mom/manager and assorted handlers for a few days and lives the life of a regular teenager in a small town. He meets a hardworking, talented, down to earth girl (played by Sarah Jeffery); and despite their lives being complete opposites, they hit it off and become friends quickly. Of course, there is more than a friendly spark between them; but he cannot stay in her world and she cannot be in his world. If a fine balance isn't met, then their budding romance is doomed from the start. "Be Somebody" is not the typical teen movie. Yes, it has a few clichés; but it also leans toward the melodramatic and serious side, and most of the scenes involve just Espinosa and Jeffery. This is a movie older teens will appreciate and find refreshing, I think. My most memorable, movie moment of "Be Somebody" is the scene when Jeffery lets Espinosa in her car so he can avoid a few teen girls who are chasing him. Completely unbelievable, as she has no idea who he is; and therefore is letting a stranger in her car at night. Still, it was a cute scene.

Mannysmemorablemoviemoments

Great!!

Author: Maria Hernandez from Houston
3 October 2016

It was a great movie, really cheered me up and made me laugh a lot. Makes you think about life, if you pay close attention the movie has a meaning behind it so I think the title really fits it. The actors look like they really put their all in it to make the movie more enjoyable for the audience and it really worked. The plot is great honestly, I loved this movie so much I can't out it into words! This is now one of my favorite movie, I love it! It reminded me of "starstruck" BUT THATS MY ONE OF MY FAVES TOO SO THAT MADE ME LOVE IT EVEN MORE!!! but i'm super proud of everyone in it and specially Matthew since it was his first movie, can't wait for more to come!

Nearly a good movie but doesn't go anywhere

Author: emilyjmalbon
13 December 2016

I chose this movie because I wanted to watch a romance that didn't require too much attention...so I knew what I was letting myself in for. The plot is basic but still caught my interest: a pop star meets a normal girl in a small town and they start to have feelings for each other. The trouble is....that literally is it. To me, it never gets going. They do some fun stuff around town together and they keep in touch afterwards, the end. I really wanted the romance to get going but they don't even kiss and they really had no chemistry at all. I think a big part of the problem was the boy who plays the pop star. He is so one dimensional and, in my opinion, simply not good looking enough to play the part of mega star teen heart throb. He looks like someone's little brother - zero sex appeal. BUT I am a 26 year old woman so I don't think this film was aimed at someone like me anyway!! It's a nice enough, innocent film, If you're 13, you will like it.

Read this review, you won't regret it. If you do, tell your friend to read it.

Author: polly-blythe
28 October 2016

Coming from a person who has watched a lot of rom-coms, this is by far the worst I have ever seen. I watched it and subsequently made my friend watch it also, so we could laugh about how bad it was. Our judgment was not only based on the non-existent plot, but also on the extremely poor acting which added the comedy aspect to this neutral film. On top of this, this is simply just a poor attempt at replicating the film Starstruck, which is far far better. If your thinking of watching this film, I'd recommend you just watch Starstruck instead, or bang you head against a brick wall for an hour and 27 minutes, because that would probably be a better experience than watching this dreadful film. However, if you are in the mood to watch this with a friend and make fun of how awful it is, then go ahead because that's what we did and it was quite fun. Don't listen to the people who say it is good because they are deluded, don't waste an hour and 27 minutes of your life watching this when you could spend that time doing something worthwhile, for example baking a cake. In a nutshell, we are teenage girls who love any sort of rom-com, but if this film cannot even be tolerated by us, then I don't know who it can be tolerated by. However, if Zac Efron had played the lead boys role, we would have know complaints. Jordan Jaye's gelled back hair at the end really didn't do it for us - he looked like a tadpole going to a dinner party. The whole time you think you're watching a romance blossom, but at the end you realise you've just been watching a guy who looks like a tadpole and a pizza delivery girl be friends for an hour and 27 minutes. Do seventeen year olds not even kiss anymore? LAUGHINGLY AWFUL.

Amazingly good!

Author: bmthnicolelawson from United Kingdom
14 October 2016

This movie was better than what I expected! They should definitely make a second part! I want to know what happens when he comes off tour and if they get into a relationship or not! Matt did an excellent job at acting and I really think he should start doing it. Very pleased with this movie. 10/10. If they make a second movie I would love to see more about Jordans life and more from his point of view. The movie is basically a fan girls fan fiction come to life and yes I did fan girl a little not going to lie , but I would honestly love to see a second part to this movie. If you haven't watched it , go watch it , you won't be let down! And if you're from the UK and want to watch it , they have put it on Netflix.