IMDb > "Conviction" (2016/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Conviction"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Conviction" More at IMDbPro »

Keeps getting better

Author: Shannon Smith Flowers
7 November 2016

The first episodes was questionable but I decided to give it another chance. Before the end of episode 2 I was love with the show. This show has talent and heart! Atwell is perfect as Hayes and Kinney was perfectly cast. I'm still waiting for a little more from Cahill and Ashmore but I am fan of both and know what they can bring to the table. Franklin and Jackson are my two favorite characters and I would love to see more developed story lines for them. Dungey also plays a dynamic character. This show has the bones for something remarkable. I hope it gets a chance to get there before being tossed away. The content is already becoming more interesting.

Great cast, tired formula.

Author: ThurzdayNext from Washington, D.C.
19 November 2016

Were it not for the excellent cast, I would have rated this series a 5 out of 10. Whose idea was it to cancel the refreshing Agent Carter, and put Hayley Atwell in yet another (unnecessary) crime drama? Conviction is self-satisfied, lazy, and holds no surprises. The cast is lovely and does what it can, but I can't imagine this show being at the top of the list for anyone under the age of 55. It tries too hard to be relevant and doesn't succeed. One has to wonder what the plan is for the show. 2 seasons? 3 seasons? Maybe 4? I'm already exhausted thinking about it.

A show like this should be limited to a run as a miniseries. That way, some success may be achieved. But please, please don't make us wince through hours of uninspired story lines. There's so much better on television these days, and this show does not even compete.

Unrealistic and unoriginal

Author: cjgrad911 from United States
18 October 2016

The concept of the show is intriguing but this show does not deliver.

For one, no one working in a county DA's office, even Manhattan, is sitting in a fancy new office building wearing designer clothes. The courts in New York are old and dumpy, and attorneys start out making like $65K while having tons of debt. The main character doesn't fit at all. I do like all the opposing views and opinions, and people of different backgrounds, which makes it interesting when they argue about cases.

The worst part of this show is that the second episode is an almost exact rip-off of the "Central Park Jogger" case from 1989. It's actually scary how lazy the writers must be, and that's only episode 2. This doesn't look good for the rest of the reason.

AARGH!!! Pitch, Notorious and now Conviction...

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
6 October 2016

I don't know if it is the upcoming U.S. elections to blame but this season is full of new shows with larger-than-life women who are sexy and famous and "the best" on what they do...and...and...

Of course there were many TV series and movies and franchises with strong women in the past, but the "flavor" has seriously changed for the worst.

So, "Conviction" is another show starring "the woman about whom everyone is talking about". She was "the First daughter". And "she is the best" and she is ...busted for possession of cocaine and the District Attorney (who might be also an old boyfriend) ...blackmails her to lead something called "Conviction Integrity Unit".

The premise of C.I.U. is good and potentially interesting (as of Cold Cases Units) for a TV legal drama, but this is pretty much where the good stuff ends.

The pace of the pilot episode is unnecessarily fast. Trying to create a hype as soon as possible, and lots of hasty delivered facts to build the whole show in under 2 minutes, so the team of C.I.U. to be ready to begin its first case. It is obviously a procedural drama from now on.

The dialogues are trite (lots of "I didn't kill her because I loved her" yada-yada) and the situations too unbelievable to tolerate: About the previously mentioned possession, the first daughter is blackmailed ...3 times during the first 10 minutes of the pilot (by the DA, a member of her unit, and the ...mother of the guy who is her first case).

Overall: The writers and the producers of Network TV nowadays are short of ideas (judging by the number of "reboots", "remakes", "based on" etc. especially this season). But the main problem is the way they produced and deliver their shows. They are trying to impress with gimmicks and hype but they fall short in the substance. Conviction might get more interesting if its writers calm down and focus less on the "gossip girl" stuff and more on the material. I'm pretty sure there are many actual cases of wrongfully accused people out there that they can get inspiration of.

A good around show, ignore the haters, and soldier through the premiere.

Author: nick-machnik-foster
23 November 2016

It is interesting to see what some reviewers on here have actually been watching because it most definitely isn't Conviction. The main character of the show is supposed to be a spoilt little rich girl jaded by the experience of being the First Daughter and in a seemingly constant rebellion against her family and society in general, a part that Hayley Atwell plays amazingly, and the cast in general is very sound and yes maybe clichéd in their roles but very good none the less. The actual premise is a brilliant idea a department that investigates the integrity of cases to insure they are are correct, and staffed with flawed characters to if needs be the whole project can be disowned. Get past the premiere and you will find an engaging and really good programme that shouldn't be cancelled because some people just don't get it.

Good show spoiled by propaganda. May contain spoilers.

Author: Kurokami Miki
2 January 2017

This is a good show with highs and lows some good stories some with so many plot holes that would make a grater blush.

The reason I gave it a 3 is because Hayley Atwell if not her it would be a 1 star all the way.

The writers on this show are making it political for some reason, they forgot that good writing attracts quality viewers but no this show has a point to make especially about race and gender, why can't it be a show with a strong female lead (like the Good Wife, Bones, How to Get Away with Murder and a few unmentioned other), why does it need to yet again use the victimization agenda of SJW, no more quality TV.

I never understood why lately all the shows are trying to create racial tension I will never understand.

Now to motivate why I say all of the above:

Episode 1. Victim: Female Hispanic (dead); Wrong convict: Male Black (released); Real Convict: Male Hispanic (incarcerated); Theme: Male violence;

Episode 2. Victim: Female Black (alive); Wrong convict: 2 Male White (2 released); Real Convict: Male White (incarcerated); Theme: Teen Male violence;

Episode 3. Victim: Multiple Male Muslim (dead); Wrong convict: Male White (bigot, free speech blogger) (incarcerated); Real Convict: Female Muslim (incarcerated); Theme: Racist White Male, Muslim Woman Justice;

Episode 4. Victim: Autistic Child (dead); Wrong convict: Woman White (released); Main Suspect: White Male Dad Real Convict: Child Female White (not sure); Theme: Moms that suffer with autistic kids;

Episode 5. Victim: White Woman (dead); Wrong convict: (); Real Convict: 2 White Males (not sure); Theme: Gay duo killers;

Episode 6. Victim: White Woman (dead); Wrong convict: Black Woman (released); Real Convict: White Male (not sure); Theme: BLM is not violent the whites are;

Episode 7. Victim: White Male (dead); Wrong convict: White Male Mentally Challenged (released); Real Convict: White Woman (not sure); Theme: Manipulating a Mentally Challenged to do your bidding;

Episode 8. Victim: White Female (alive); Wrong convict: White Male (released); Real Convict: White Male(dead), White Woman (incarcerated); Theme: White Fat Ugly Man are pedophiles and their mom loves them;

Episode 9. Victim: White Male (dead); Wrong convict: White Male (dead); Real Convict: Not sure (not sure); Theme: Political corruption;

Episode 10. Victim: White Male Rapist (dead); Wrong convict: White Woman (alive); Real Convict: Black Woman (not sure); Theme: All white Males are rapist and police does not investigate;

Episode 11. Victim: Multiple Woman (dead); Wrong convict: White Man(dead); Real Convict: White Male (not sure);

Make your own conclusions.

I've only watched 2 episodes but

Author: SumBuddy-3 from San Juan Capistrano, CA
13 October 2016

Starting out by having Hayley Atwell playing a spoiled rich borderline slut, is not going to attract very many Agent Carter Fans. Or really very many Hayley Atwell friends. I think it's miscast as badly as a lead could be. I just don't buy her character. Several of the other characters, Eddie Cahill, and the guy who plays her brother are very good. A couple of her coworkers work, a couple don't. It's a very disjointed cast and sorry to say I don't think it's going to work. I would've thought after all of the accolades Hayley Atwell got from her previous work she would have more choices than this. Phony American accent on top of everything else, what was she thinking? Maybe it was a quick rebound show.

A nice character development show I find similar to Bones, although not quite as scientific.

Author: leopalski from United States
29 November 2016

I loved Hayley Atwell in Agent Carter and love her in this as well! The reasoning for why she got the job is not very believable , but I really think all the actors and their characters are great and interesting to watch. I don't think it would work if they weren't.

I don't know why, but the boss relationship issue seems a little over used, but it doesn't spoil the rest of the show. When all put together, there is plenty of conflicts and issues within the different characters to keep me wanting to see more.

I really like it! Hayley is a great actress and is surrounded by great actors here as well!

Original has run out? Again, failure ahoy!

Author: matthijsalexander from Netherlands
11 October 2016

I just can't stomach it anymore. I was ploughing through the pilot, could not keep my mind focused - did not for 1 second find any of it interesting It is simply repeat repeat repeat of what has been done done done.

Have you noticed all the actors from NCIS-like-series, or law and order, breaking away and become lead actor in series that are miserable?. Another atrocity is Bull (sh*t), another disappointing and utterly boring series based on law & order combined with science that just like this series has no potential whatsoever, because of repetitiveness, flatness and lack of creativeness! What's with the script writers? Recently pilots seem to be excessive information bulletins that tell us everything about everybody and so we are expected to hop on the wagon and get right to it. What happened to developing characters? What happened to backstories? Why do they insist on revealing everything about everybody in the first 15 minutes?

So this show; Lady is smart and slightly arrogant. Lady is independent. Lady is strong and lady has a hate/love relationship with dude that will turn out to be a mentor, lover or whatever. Lady takes on cases, lady is a winner.

B-O-R-I-N-G! Hollywood, please please please find a new cow to milk..... abandon the justice theme for a while, forget about vampires and walking dead people for a while. Find a new grounds, anything! Please!

Awesome show!

Author: steamyprincess
12 November 2016

I first started watching 'Conviction' because of Hayley Atwell and I stayed for the good female characters and LGBTQ+ representation. I really like the story lines, the characters' interactions and themes that the episodes highlight. I think it deals with relevant issues and presents believable characters. I' d like it to maybe explore the other characters' lives and pasts as well, and not just focus on Hayes. I really hope that it will get a chance to prove itself and won't be canceled (like many others on ABC - looking at you 'Agent Carter'). I feel that by canceling it, the message would be that female-led shows don't stand a chance.