IMDb > "The Exorcist" (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Exorcist"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Exorcist" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

So I watched the first episode...

Author: Usama Jawad from Lahore, Pakistan
24 September 2016

UPDATE: I've watched three episodes now and my reaction is exactly the same as it was after watching the premiere, great show.

Also, for people worried about IMDb listing only 6 episodes in the show, worry not! Hannah Kasulka (the excellent actress who plays Casey Rance in the show) has told me that they are filming ten episodes for the first season! :D

Original review follows:

OK, so let me start off by saying I'm a huge The Exorcist (1973) fan, and think that it is the best horror movie ever made. Similarly, I also liked The Conjuring 1 and 2, Insidious 1 and 2, The Ring, The Babadook, and The Thing (1982). Talking about TV shows that are usually categorized as horror, I also enjoy The Walking Dead. American Horror Story is meh-ish but Season 1-2 were pretty good. Lastly, Supernatural isn't exactly horror nowadays, but I still enjoy watching it.

I think it's important that you know about my taste in horror, so you can judge and weigh my review. I started watching this episode with a skeptical mind, knowing how this reboot of a TV series of my favorite horror movie could go horribly wrong, likely many other remakes and reboots out there.

So, the episode started off as you might have expected, hints of horror and tension, but nothing really to make you jump out of your seat. However, after around 10-15 minutes, it started to become really interesting. There were scenes of genuine suspense, and no, I'm not talking about strange noises (which are pretty standard in all horror movies), but actually a few attempts at exorcism.

This is where the show really started to shine for me, the special effects used were decent, though I would appreciate a little less close-ups to the face and shaking cameras in future episodes. But generally, it was overall pretty good and reminded me a lot of the movie and the book (yes, I've read it) it's based on. I also liked the references sneaked in (especially the one in the article, and right at the end).

Acting was spot-on. I have seen Ben Daniels in House of Cards, and Geena Davis in Stuart Little, but the rest of the cast were generally unknown to me. That said, all of them really surprised me with excellent acting, especially Alfonso Herrera, Hannah Kasulka, and Brianne Howie. These characters actually felt relate-able and not the usual nincompoops we see in horror movies. I liked how the characters immediately consulted specialists instead of dragging the thing out for two or three episodes.

As this is a spoiler-free review, I'm not going to go into the details, but if I had to rate the following out of 10, this is how I would do it:

Story: 9 ||||| Cast / Acting: 9.5 ||||| Dialog: 8.5 ||||| Horror: 8.5 ||||| Direction / Effects etc: 8.5 ||||| Originality: 9.5

The only thing I found slightly lacking was the amount of horror in it. Sure, there were legit scenes of terror, but I'd really like to see the show go beyond and scare the hell out of me like The Exorcist did. (I couldn't sleep the entire night after I watched that movie almost four years ago, when I was 16).

All in all, if you're bored of the current "horror" shows which are kind of failing at horror *cough* AHS *cough* Supernatural *cough*, this is looking like the show to go to. That said, this is just my reaction after watching one episode, and I could be wrong. However, the preview for the next episode looked really awesome and I really think that this show is going to be great, must watch! ;)

P.S: Also, watch out for that twist at the end of the episode, pretty great! ;)

This Is A Great One!

Author: ksp-58491 from High Point, NC
24 September 2016

Most series don't pilot well. They usually lag out the plot or leave you struggling to follow along. That wasn't the case with The Exorcist. The plot is step-by-step easy to follow, but the show is very forceful--no lag, here. I am VERY impressed with this show.

Horror thrillers that air on television are usually fly-by-night and usually don't fair well among viewers. That wasn't the case with The Exorcist. This is a strong show with a strong plot, and is really well-cast. I had it's reel-you-in hooks and I was at the edge of my seat the whole time. One of my favorite scenes, though not scary, was the dining room scene where Katherine berated her dad's mental capacity, only to be chastised by Father Tomas. I LOVED that scene!

I won't publish any spoilers, even if I had any. I just wanted to post that I think this could potentially be one of the scariest shows on television. I'm a die-hard horror fan, and I can appreciate watching (in my opinion, anyway)one of the best horror remakes I've seen in a long time... And, at 58 y/o, I've seen a lot of horror! It isn't bloody-gory yet, but for me, that could well be part of its appeal.

Personally, I would've rated it a 10, but I noticed only five episodes listed. I hope that isn't so, as the first episode was really intriguing and five episodes do not equal a fulfilling season--it's more a tasteless tease.

KUDOS to everyone involved in the making of this show. It is very well written, cast, directed and produced. This is truly refreshing. My television screen was getting boring.

Two Enthusiastic "Thumbs Up" for First Episode

Author: John Marcus from Atlanta, GA
24 September 2016

I agree with anyone who believes the Exorcist is the scariest movie ever. In fact, I think it's the scariest by far. The TV show wasn't as scary, but it was creepy enough...for TV. I watched it alone, and that is something I cannot say for the original (even though I've seen it many times.

It was actually a lot better than I dared hope. It was well filmed, smart, stylish, and compelling. It has some great actors playing characters who appear to have at least some layers of depth to be unraveled in the coming weeks. It was good to see Geena Davis. That was a nice surprise. The casting overall seems well thought out, and it works for me.

There's only been one episode at this point, but it was pretty, pretty good (to borrow the Larry David phrase). I've got my fingers crossed that the show can maintain its current level of intrigue.

I may be overstepping a bit, but it has the POTENTIAL to measure up to American Horror Story (season 2) and maybe even...Penny Dreadful (season 2).

We'll soon find out.

Because good storytelling is a worthy addiction.

Author: Janine-The-Barefoot from US
27 September 2016

I'm not going to start with comparisons to either the book or the movie. I read the book, watched the film and did that over 40 years ago. Enough has been said about both in prior reviews that it just doesn't seem necessary for me to go over ground that's already been covered be it good or be it bad. So I'll start as I mean to go on and address THIS story in THIS TIME.

Good storytelling is a rare and beautiful thing. Using effects to define your characters instead of characters to be there while you show off the effects is becoming as rare as really good storytelling. So letting a plot play itself out in it's own time instead of at a breakneck pace designed to please horror/action fans who want action and gore to define a story instead of characters and the events that have shaped them is becoming equally rare. As the implosion of Penny Dreadful made many of us aware, good storytelling, incredible characters & actors, beautiful sets and costumes, combined with action in service of the story still wasn't enough to save it from destruction. One that many of us are still hurting over.

So now we have Fox's The Exorcist... and after only one episode (which is all it took me for PD by the way) I know enough to be willing to commit myself to whatever amount of time has been given to this series in it's freshman season. Because, for me, the bottom line is that it's a really good example of good storytelling and it's nice to come back to worthy TV after running off to the solace of my bookshelves after the great debacle that was S/3 of PD.

I like the priests. I like that we're seeing signs that their backstories are going to be more fleshed out. I was appreciative of the nod made to the movie out of what was clearly respect and I especially like that the family involved is both diverse and will also have stories of their own to tell. So, in short, it already appears to me that The Exorcist plans to be an actual STORY; played out over a season and that it takes itself, it's characters and it's audience seriously.

Right now, that's more than enough for me. In point of fact, it's enough to guarantee that I'm going to be there throughout it's freshman season hoping against hope that it too has started as it means to go on.

Awesome series!

Author: rwfanj from United States
15 October 2016

This is a GRITTY and teeth clenching series that will make you think and feel that terror inside. Better than the latest big screen prequels BY FAR...and it doesn't shy away from incredible religious aspects that make some uncomfortable...yet doesn't promote religion. It is not shy about wryly criticizing the politics within the church while focusing on the good individual men, women, priests, nuns, etc who aren't afraid to defy said church (under threat of serious personal and spiritual consequence). I think it frames the truth of demonic possession along with everyday lives of normal people fairly well. Call it science fiction, horror or whatever you want....the show is certainly not afraid to push the boundaries of individual, societal and religious beliefs while providing an incredibly complex story line that is as good as any suspense thriller! Just one thing FOX Network....move the show to a better night than Friday!

Great start

Author: rikuriku-87175
25 September 2016

Just finished watching the first episode, and now I'm eager to watch the next one which is not due until 30th Sept. The atmosphere was great, the script was great, and plenty of 'actions', which I didn't expect for a show like this in the first episode. The story was straight forward and the acting was good, especially with Father Marcus. On the other hand with Father Tomas, I probably need to watch a few more episodes and understand his background more before I can judge, his character seemed to lack patience and short tempered, which may not be a good thing for the leading character.

Let's hope the next few episodes can keep up to the first.

Keep your crucifix handy

Author: Rushail N
25 September 2016

When they remake a movie it generally sucks, even more so when they try to televise probably the most loved horror movie of all time. Fox finally got it right, I'm a huge fan of horror and have seen pretty much every single title that has anything remotely scary in it. Special mentions to the original exorcist, the exorcism of Emily rose and the conjuring the unholy trinity of horror movies in my book.

Just like the Omen which has now been made into a series i was worried for the exorcist but I was pleasantly surprised. The casting is excellent the conflicted priest, the exorcist whose having a crisis of faith. I won't give away the twist but it is quite entertaining.

They haven't let us down so far in my opinion the pilot gives you just enough to make you definitely come back for another episode and hey what more can you ask for from a pilot, i enjoyed it so much it became my first ever review on IMDb.

A pleasant surprise in the form of a compelling story and its breakout star

Author: Matthew Damian Gabriel
24 September 2016

This new FOX entry to Fall 2016's television lineup makes a great companion to FX's "American Horror Story." As a lifelong fan of the original 1973 classic, I fully expected to be disappointed by this offering. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the 9/23/16 pilot episode. While it's great to see Geena Davis back on TV, the two main reasons I highly recommend this series are (1) a compelling story, especially for horror fans and believers in the supernatural -- including a clever twist in the first episode which I will not spoil, and (2) the affable lead actor, Alfonso Herrera, a Mexican telenovela star who shines in this major network English-speaking breakout role. Herrera portrays Father Tomas with such authentic emotion, he proves that he's got genuine acting chops to accompany his smoldering good looks.

Very good and needs patience and time to grow on

Author: moviesvideoman from United States
29 September 2016

First you need to know something about the films and book to understand the nuance of the series. But it's only the first episode so have some patience and open your minds. Stop with the religious aspects and enjoy the acting and story lines. It's much more than the run of the mill fright flicks. I thought the Pilot was excellent and twisty. Looking forward to the next episodes. Series does not use the same characters and names as with previous films. This is refreshing. The special effects are surprisingly very good and delivers the goods. Very happy that FOX took a chance on this series as well as Lethal Weapon which I feel was a success to open things up.

SO FAR SO GOOD. may contain spoiler.

Author: tonyt-24599 from New jersey
24 September 2016

When I heard that Fox was going to create this show I was a little hesitant to watch. Usually remaking great movies into T.V. series don't work but the success of Hannibal changed my mind. Hannibal was one of the greatest T.V. series on a regular network I have ever seen. Some people never seen the movie but I was a teen when I seen the Exorcist in a movie theater. I had read the news about this scary movie and how people were fainting so me and my friends had to see it. See it we did with an ambulance parked outside the theater and later watching women in tears leaving the theater in the middle of the movie. Back than we were able to bring a sub sandwich in the theater to eat but well that never happened. Not during this movie. Watching the movie you never moved. I will never forget the feeling I had after the movie was over I was literally numb but my knees were shaking. There was a eerie silence in the theater that I will never forget. I had seen Psycho when I was really young in my home which shook me up but this movie took it beyond that.

So the challenge was o.k. lets see and so far the show has potential. I like the actors and Geena Davis as the mother is encouraging and for the first episode it was scary especially the scene in the attic. But since I seen the movie what put chills in my spine is the music by Mike Oldfield which I acquired this movie score back in 1972. I will be watching and hopefully being able to sleep. If anyone hasn't seen the movie don't watch until you see this classic either somewhere where they may show older movies or in the safety of your home. Shut the light but have someone to lean on because you are going to need it.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]