IMDb > Sairat (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sairat

Sairat More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Sairat - a story that was finally told - no holds barred

Author: dharmendra from Bangalore
1 May 2016

Saw the show few hours back and it was a sheer delight to watch a Marathi movie done with such elegance and crispness. Having Marathi as my mother tongue helped me understand a lot of context that gets lost in translation for non native viewers.

Story : I won't go into the story as I really wish you watch the movie and be surprised with the freshness of a love story seldom told with such honesty and rooted in reality. It could have easily succumbed to being another Bollywoodish love story; shallow and melodramatic. Kudos to Nagraj Manjule for not bowing to the formulaic templates being dished out now days.

Dialogues : The movies scores very high on the dialogs partly because there is no attempt made to pander to city audiences. The language is kept as close to rural Marathi from Western Maharashtra that city slickers might easily miss the clever one liners that make even an average line an attention grabber. Slang used throughout the movie adds a earthy quality. I wanted to list it here, but IMDb's language recognition treats it as a spelling mistake. :-|

Music & Background score : This has to be the most significant factor to 'bring' the people to the theater. In the absence of known faces, the film depended a lot on the music to get people interested before the release and Ajay-Atul didn't disappoint! The melodies are few of the sweetest ones heard in years and they are served in varying degrees of moods too. From a dreamy melody for Parshya to the melodious fusion of rock to vocals for Archie juxtaposed with the peppy dance number 'Zing Zing Zingat' the music stands out for special mention. I get the feeling of having heard parts of the score before though. Can't pin point exactly.

Recording the symphony in Sony studios, LA has made the songs more enjoyable. Personally, I would rate them very close, if not better, than soundtracks from legends like Nino Rota, Ennio Morricone, Hans Zimmer & James Horner.

Direction : Nagraj Manjule proves once again that movies with a message can be entertaining without being preachy. Especially, with the kind of subject he deals with it becomes very important to make sure it doesn't slip into a rhetoric bordering on a bias. It could be disastrous for a movie to 'hurt sentiments' in India and get away with it. He treads the narrow path with elegance and yet manages to shove a bitter pill down the throat of the audience without them knowing it.

All said and done, for all those who expect it to be a run of the mill love story shall be woken up for sure as the final scene unravels before them. It reminded me of the tracking shot in 'Taxi Driver'.

Camera work : The camera-work is top notch. Beautiful locales and magnificent vistas are captured with an equal bias to the protagonists. The slow mo shots embellish the movie without distracting the audience. In fact the audience erupted in joy to witness such slick work in a Marathi movie.

Acting : It is Archie (Rinku Rajguru) all the way. Her screen presence is without doubt impressive and difficult to believe her debut as well. Her face lends itself to many moments which would test even a seasoned actor. However, she carries all those scenes with a poise and honesty that the character demands. It is difficult to separate the character of Archie from Rinku such is the grasp of Rinku throughout the movie. Her character more of less decides the direction of the movie. Any lesser actor and the film would have been boring at 3hr length.

The rest of the characters are perfectly cast as well (good job by the casting director). Every character seems to essay a real person's sketch such is the honesty in the portrayal of the actors. Especially Parshya and his two partners in crime, Pradeep (aka Langda) & Salya (Salim).

Parshya (Aakash) is good looking and has carried off the somewhat sober Parshya's character with a lot of honesty. He emotes well and looks intimidating where it demands. He can definitely go a long way provided he gets similar roles in the future or he adds another dimension to his acting not demanded by Parshya's character.

Pradeep Bansode (Langdya) is a surprise package who stands by his friend and adds a lot of the comic relief throughout the first half. His eagerness to help out his friend emanates from his own failure, so it seems. He even blushes on his friends behalf!

Salim (Salya) is Parshya's neighbor and equally committed to the friendship. He adds the third angle to the chemistry among the three friends and is the voice of reason too. His acting evokes genuine warmth for Parshya.

Final comments : Nagraj has successfully coated a bitter pill in a sweet first half and sour second half that strikes the right chord as soon as it 'hits' you in the end.

*Watched again a 2nd time; heres the update*: Thank God for not reducing the length of the film. The film was equally enjoyable the second time around as well. Not to forget the masterstroke of a climax literally evoked a standing ovation from me again. Just wondering whether it was re-edited a bit. Either ways an excellent effort.

Beautiful, realistic, spellbinding and mind numbing !!

Author: Nitish Shete from Maidstone, England
2 May 2016

After a huge publicity and long wait, the expectations were already high from movie, and yet this movie delivered on every level.

'Sairat' means zeal, passion or ardour. It is not a new story, we have seen similar plots on screen before. What makes this movie so special is 'Beauty in Simplicity'. A guy from lower strata of caste system falls for a rich upper class girl, then there is 'The Great Wall of Indian Caste System' standing between them. It is a story about their love, resistance, struggle and their survival. Every character feels so real and believable that I actually forgot they are just acting in front of camera. Cinematography, screenplay, music, background score, performances, direction.. all top notch !! There is a lot I can say about this movie, but it would spoil the fun for those who want to watch. The first half is totally hilarious and funny, it is like a sweet dream for all 'love birds' out there. The second half is a hell lot of reality, but that is what makes is a masterpiece.

The movie is released with English Subtitles, so doesn't matter whether you are Marathi speaking or not, I recommend you go watch this movie, specially if you want to witness the life of simple yet complex village people. Of course some meaning is always lost in translation, but I am sure you won't be disappointed. Hats Off to Nagraj Sir and the entire team.

If such quality cinema is produced in Marathi industry, then we don't need to go looking for that in Bollywood and Hollywood. Keep'em coming !!

To remember few things before watching Sairat!

Author: nikhilkharat
2 May 2016

This is not a review of this film. It is an attempt to explain few things before you watch this film, so that anyone without a proper knowledge of what exactly the "story" wants to express to viewers will at least get an idea of what the film is all about.

This film is about a boy and a girl who falls in love - a boy is from one caste and a girl from another caste. Problem rises between them because the fusion of different castes is not allowed in India. What exactly caste is? It is nothing but fabricated way of dividing a population into a "caste". The fusion of different castes as I said is not allowed and it is the religion that supports this notion.

To the people who have no idea of how caste system works - be it people who live in India or live outside of India have to remember this only - It is this - Caste System works in two forms – In its preserving form, it makes intermarriage i.e. exogamy impossible and when caste switches to its religious form, it makes Untouchability prevailing in modern times.

Rest, the film will do the talking!

Sairat Zaala Ji !!!!!

Author: ganeshpawar-94 from India
2 May 2016

Nagraj Manjule does it again !!! He proved that he is not a one film wonder kind of filmmaker and he is here to stay .

Marathi cinema is proving its greatness now and then by giving back to back gems like this movie !!!!

I had some doubts about this movie as I felt it was same old love story but thank you Nagraj Manjule for proving me wrong . This is the best movie I've ever seen on this topic .

Sairat is love story of Parshya and Archi. Story though a bit predictable but screenplay is excellent . First half of the movie is funny and entertaining but it's the second half that will hit you hard . Love scenes between the leads are lovable and you can relate to them . You will feel for the pair . Like Fandry , Manjule once again showed mirror to our society .

Music by the great duo Ajay-Atul is great as always , their music adds more to the love story . Music will make you feel the love between the leads .

Acting by the cast needs special mention . Not just the lead pair but whole cast did a great job . Rinku Rajguru got a special mention at prestigious National awards , no more needed to says , she is just awesome . Akshay Thosar is very natural . He makes Parshya look very real .

But the characters of Pradeep and Salim deserves accolades for their performance . Arbaz Shaikh as Salim is a friend in need a friend indeed kind of a friend . He is always there whenever Parshya needs him . Suraj Pawar as prince has brief but significant role , and he is just perfect. But Tanaji Galgunde as Pradeep was my favorite. He got right under the skin of the character . He is lovable and funny .

Camera work was just awesome , every scene is shot so beautifully . Cinematography is one of the best features of the movie . Though movie is quit long but not at all boring . It is very real and raw movie . Second half of the movie is executed perfectly . This is the kind of the movie which will make you think about it even after the movie is over . It will leave you with the feeling which cannot be explained , it's a must watch for sure !!!

A epic movie in the Marathi movie industry

Author: sur1503 from United States
3 May 2016

I was excited, thrilled after watching this movie. I must say this is one of the epic movie in the Marathi cinema industry. Its been quite an awesome experience. The direction, cinematography, and very catchy song numbers with one of the best music ever created by duo Ajay-Atul. Mr Nagraj Manjule once again provided the world with very good movie. All the best to all the team of "Sairat". After giving hits like Pistulya, Fandry, this movie will break all the records and will be one of the biggest hits ever in Marathi Cinema industry. Sairat movie with very well scripted story. Every song is unbeatable with huge fan following everywhere - Zing Zing Zingat, the title song "Sairat", Ata ga baya ka", Yad lagla.

Excellent Movie By Shri Nagraj Manjule

Author: Nilesh Khairnar from Nashik
2 May 2016

I've watched Sairat on Sunday (1st May). I enjoyed it a lot & I don't have sufficient words for this Movie that how much I appreciated & satisfied!!

Great acting, mind blowing music by my favorite Ajay-Atul. Hats-off to Nagraj Manjule for giving us the Best ever Awesome Marathi movie. Also,

Aakash Thosar (Prashant) have done his acting naturally which became successful. And after experienced about Rinku Rajguru (Archana's) acting, I got known that why she is nominated for the National Award!! Very well act done by this couple. I hope, in future Nagraj Manjule will give us such an awesome movies for us.

I also thinks that there is nothing boring or bad in this movie even for a minute. All 3hours entertained me a lot.

And that's why I'm giving for this movie totally 10 STARS!!

Thanks to SAIRAT team once again!!

‎SAIRAT‬ movie is a nothing but thrilling truth of rural and some of urban society.

Author: abhijeets001 from India
30 April 2016

After a classic like "Fandry", Nagraj Manjule has brought a truly commercial yet true and realistic story of "Sairat". As known to all Sairat is well marketed movie but it delivers what was expected from promos and from director like Nagraj.

Movie starts with village environment which is realistic. Director has shown the real lifestyle of rural Maharashtra which is quite same in all rural areas in India. The execution of story is mind blowing. It holds all your attention throughout the movie.

The way love story of 'Parshya' and 'Archie' blossoms with the entertaining and dreamy surrounding, is awesome. You'll find first part of movie funny and entertaining, It will make you experience of love of rural India. The methods of love expressing are very realistic and people from rural areas can find themselves in movie characters.

Though Interval is delayed, it has reason due to which viewers get locked into movie.

Music from Ajay-Atul is fantastic as always. Songs of this movie has already topped charts. Background score is also nice and effective.

Coming to climax of movie that confused many critics but that is the sole or 'soul' reason of making this movie. Nagraj has presented it as same as it happens in reality, till date, in many areas of India. He has raised very important issue of Honor Killing seriously yet beautifully by means of cinema.

After all, this is the true art work which reflects ignored realities in our society. Hope this movie can change those mindsets.

Do give a watch in theaters!

Hats off to all Nagraj Popatrao Manjule team!

Best movie of 2016

Author: vaibhav-axd from mumbai
2 May 2016

Sairat means fearless, independent, unstoppable and is rightly titled. A movie can't get any better than this, Shows Love and friendship in very realistic and beautiful way. It has the rawness and innocence of love. It sets an example of the kind of friends everyone should have. Climax will leave you speechless. the movie keeps you entertained right throughout. But its not only about love. This movie is more what happens later. Unfortunately sometimes just loving someone is not enough. songs are beautifully pictured. Direction is exceptionally too good. Nagraj Manjule is Simple Best Director India has. Cinematography is great . One of the most interesting thing about this movie is they have not used a single set while making this movie. Thi is the most sensible and entertaining film.

As they say " An Epic Love Story"

Author: nikhil-71178
30 April 2016

Saw the noon show very next day of "Sairat" release day, Movie started with a cricket match in village, Right from the starting you are in different era and you came out as a full of all sort feelings exists.

Not seen any nice movie in last few years with this very simple story, BUT its Cast and Direction and script and editing made it one hell of romantic drama, though cinematography can be better. The Lead Actress who is debut like many actors in movie is fabulous, you can literally feel her innocence, love, anger. Supporting cast especially Pratik and Sallya made their presence.

Romantic movie has redefined yet again by Nagrath Majule the director of movie. He already has made his mark through his debut movie "Fandry". Dialogs and script is winner here. Movie wanders in your mind for long long time after you left seat in cinema hall.

Excellent Movie

Author: Sandeep More from India
3 May 2016

'Sairat' is not just a beautifully woven film; it also has elements of a mass entertainer. The brilliant music from Ajay-Atul, camera work, and a graph that encompasses happiness and sadness, only add to the quality. With a running time of almost three hours, one might think it to be a tedious watch. It could've been slightly crisper but throughout, the film has a powerful grasp on its subject. The viewer doesn't get bored because something or the other keeps happening.

Another strong point of the film is that it doesn't rely on known faces. Akash and Rinku are debutantes but their performance is at par with seasoned actors. The mass identifies with Parshya and Archi and this is one of the prime reasons that the film stand to gain with. Tanaji provides comic relief and he does it well. Nagraj Manjule's cameo is memorable.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]