IMDb > "Victoria" (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Victoria"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Victoria" More at IMDbPro »

Rather captivating, I loved it. Every inch a Queen.

Author: Paul Evans from Swansea, United Kingdom
28 August 2016

I have eagerly anticipated this mini series ever since Jenna left Doctor Who and announced she was to play the famous Monarch. Period dramas have been hit and miss of late, we've had Jericho, War and Peace, Doctor Thorne etc, I'll leave you consider which were hits.

I knew from watching her Doctor Who journey that she'd be an actress capable of leading a drama and doing justice to a huge historical figure, I love her portrayal of Victoria, she has some presence and a definite strength of character. Rufus Sewell I thought was exceptional as Lord Melbourne too, the complex relationship the pair had in real life was explained very well.

The settings, costumes, and general production values were first rate, the show felt incredibly plush and lavish, I shudder to think of the budget for this series.

Totally engaging, this was first rate viewing 9/10.

Captivating and Up-to-date Historical Drama

Author: l_rawjalaurence from London
1 September 2016

On the basis of seeing the first episodes of this Masterpiece drama, broadcast in the UK by ITV, I can freely say that I am hooked on to it. Daisy Goodwin's script is both taut and cleverly written, while the performances of the main protagonists are uniformly convincing. I particularly like Jenna Coleman's characterization of the young Queen - so apparently vulnerable yet possessed with an inner strength of will that enables her to resist the repeated blandishments of her self-interest mother the Duchess of Kent (Catherine H. Flemming), who so dearly desires to assume the title of Regent, aided and abetted by her unscrupulous ally Sir John Conroy (Paul Rhys).

This eight-part drama wears its moral scheme on its sleeve by contrasting the hissable villain the Duke of Cumberland (Peter Firth), with the pragmatic yet goodhearted Lord Melbourne (Rufus Sewell), who admires the Queen yet remains convinced that she has to transform herself from an immature girl into suitably monarchical material, and will try his utmost to achieve that transformation. Sometimes he has to be cruel to be kind, but all in a good cause. In between these two extremes stands the Duke of Wellington (Peter Bowles), and Sir Robert Peel (Nigel Lindsay), both members of the Tory Party (and hence implacably opposed to Melbourne's politics), but interested in maintaining the business of government.

As with most television costume dramas, the sets and decor are both opulent and historically accurate, supplemented by useful CGI shots where necessary. I especially liked some of the cinematographic effects (by John Lee) - especially the use of aerial shots to suggest the insignificance of humanity when compared to the greater business of running the country.

And it is this sense of contemporaneity that lifts VICTORIA out of the run-of-the-mill and transforms it into living, breathing drama. We hear a lot about the importance of "duty" - from the Queen as well as her friends and enemies - and we are led to speculate on what that term really signifies. Is it just a catch-all description masking self-interest, or do people really believe in it? In light of recent political upheavals in the United Kingdom, with one Prime Minister resigning (ostensibly out of "duty"), and the opposition party tearing itself asunder with different conceptions of the same term, we wonder just how much VICTORIA is commenting on the present as well as the past, especially in its concern with politics and its relationship to the country's future.

I am definitely hooked, and await the remaining episodes with eager anticipation.

Good, but not that good

Author: emrys-948-238958
23 October 2016

It starts very well. They give a nice insight into an 18yo girl, totally protected and kept from everything except her family, suddenly dropped into the position of Queen of the most powerful country on the planet. Not unexpected, but completely unprepared. The early episodes are very good. Melbourne and Peel are both very well done and the drama does what it should do, it breathes life into history.

The problems start when Albert appears. Tom Hughes is simply dreadful as Albert, completely unconvincing. Albert was an intense, prickly and stubborn man. Hughes plays him as a sulky toy boy. It is awful. But then Hughes tends to play sulky toy boys so it is hardly a surprise. A better casting would have been Daniel Brühl who played Nikki Lauda in Rush, but there it is. I suspect Hughes was included as eye candy for the ladies, and certainly as a man I found Jenna Coleman very nice to look at, so I don't begrudge them that. The difference is Coleman carried her part well, Hughes was all wrong. By contrast, his brother Earnest is excellent.

It also gets increasingly soapy after Albert arrives on the scene, culminating in a final episode that is little more than an extended advert for the 2nd series. It gets quite bad. It is known that Albert was not that keen on Victoria and accepted her proposal because it was his duty to do so. He fell in love her, very much so, but after they were married. That won't do at all for a soap (it would be OK the other way around), so he has to be besotted from the start. It's hard to see the Prince Albert we are given by Hughes falling in love with anyone except himself, so it's all very false.

Was not the life of Victoria compelling enough?

Author: tim whelan from Canada
10 November 2016

Such a disappointment. Beautifully shot and acted - but the scripts? Teenage angst? Mommy and daddy issues? Nobody understands me? Whiney, catty relatives? Was not the life of Victoria compelling enough?

I like Jenna Coleman. She's the reason I bothered. She is playing a woman for whom an age is named. But the individual scripts would not make the cut of Downton Abbey.

And then there is historical accuracy.

In order to gin up some drama they create an entirely fictional love story between Victoria and Lord Melbourne, a man who in fact was 40 years older than the young queen. (The age difference between the actors is 20 years.) The casting of Rufus Sewell is a big part of this canard. The bogus love story is at the heart of the first four episodes. I am troubled by TV/films that take largely historically accurate stories and throw in nonsense. Is not the life of Victoria compelling enough? Maybe the fact that you could walk away believing there was a "thing" between these two historical figures does not trouble the authors. It should.

To make my point, about two other people from roughly the same period: does it matter that we try to get the relationship between Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings right?

At one point, Lord Melbourne tells Victoria that he is thinking of retiring. Its his way of saying, "I'm too old for you." She tells him something like, "You're not old." At 60 he had exceeded life expectancy for men of the period by almost 15 years. Not only his he too old for a teenager, he is lucky to be alive.

Great idea - great performance but...

Author: eddielondongent from London
1 September 2016

As in other reviews I would praise the performance of Jenna Coleman. However, this is a chance missed by ITV. The script rattles along at a good pace but the dialogue is GCSE standard. Scene's opening with lines like "We must discuss my position as Queen Mother" or "can I help, as Queen, could I intervene" are just trite and the script is littered with them. The CGI is a little wonky, but on the whole it is an engaging piece of TV. Not up there with the best historical TV drama, but fair to middling. So It gets a 6 from me. Just PLEASE ITV don't let Daisy script her own ideas anymore. Get someone in to polish that dialogue!

Amazing show.

Author: destinyawest from Australia
18 September 2016

I was so looking forward to watching Victoria and I have not been disappointed. Having a keen interest in English history, especially of the Royal Family, I am obsessed with this series. I has been anxiously awaiting each new episode. Costuming is perfection, and the actors are are superb. I could not think of anyone better to play Queen Victoria. If you love period drama and English history, you will be enthralled by Victoria. I wish there was more shows like this on television. A definite must for fans of this genre. The betrayal of Lord M and Victoria's relationship may be elaborated a bit, but the basis of this show is worth the watch.

Great show

Author: qianqikoh165
10 September 2016

Victoria is an excellent show. Granted, the CGI in the film is rubbish, but the costumes and the set are marvelous. Even though Jenna Coleman does not resemble Queen Victoria at all, I feel that she portrays Queen Victoria beautifully. I love it when she tells others that she will not be pressurized into doing anything she does not want. Her comebacks are amazing when anyone belittles her. Every feminist should watch this. The romance between Queen Victoria and Lord Melbourne, though untrue as there was no evidence suggesting a relationship other than a platonic one, is extremely entertaining. Rufus Sewell, though too handsome to be Lord Melbourne, is so charming and smoldering. Their on screen chemistry is so good that I really do not want Albert to come into the story to ruin things between Queen Vic and Lord M. I say, to hell with historical accuracy!

fairly bad

Author: ericozu from Japan
20 December 2016

I can't really emphasize enough how shallow, boring, silly, poorly written and annoying this show is. They can dress up these actors in colorful velvets and gold buttons, and stuff them into lushly carpeted castles all they want, but this will not make up for a lack of vision, message, theme, and perspicacity. Victoria complains a lot, yes she does. She's bored and put upon, annoyed by being pregnant, by her nagging mother, by puppy love, and other such trifles, and dramatic music comes along to make her boring boredom supposedly seem dramatic and important. But nothing important ever really happens. These characters hang about. The days go by. They complain. Politicians drop by to bother them about insubstantial minutia that never resonates or ties together into an interesting plot. Victoria doesn't think or talk about all that much...doesn't DO all that much. She and Albert love each other but it's hard to see why. The actor playing Albert always seems ready to drift into a nap mid-sentence. The actor playing Peel is particularly miscast. Victoria and Melbourne are played well enough but they are hobbled by the shallowness of what is asked of them. Finally, the "B-stories" are a particular slap in the face to the viewer. Taking their cue from Upstairs and Downton the writers made a feeble and slapdash effort to get us interested in a cook and a maid servant - to no avail. They might as well be singing, "la la la, we're here to say something, until the main characters return to the screen... la la la." The main characters are not much better. It's really hard to care about them and it is easy to forget that they supposedly represent such important symbols/figures of an age. They might just be some boring people living in a house if someone didn't take a shot at them once in a while. No spoiler here. We know from history books that Queen V lived to a ripe old age. However, someone should have put this costume clunker out of it's misery.

Basic Theater Expertly Crafted and I'm Also Hooked !

Author: vanapa9 from Ohio-US of A
7 September 2016

What's more entertaining than being transported back into history and being RIGHT THERE with young Queen Victoria, Lord Melvin and all the other super compelling characters in play ?? OK..besides that... and that !! Jenna Coleman must be superb to make this mini-series work. And, yes, as stated..this show WORKS! Let's give it up for Ms. Coleman. And Lord Melvin must also be just as compelling. And indeed, Rufus Sewell is impeccably cast and as always, turns in an outstanding performance. Of course the costumes and cinematography and sets must also be right on, and of course-they are brilliant! The only obstacle in the way of a 10 of 10 rating, is the rather too familiar , basic theater plot and script. However, this seemingly necessary evil is overshadowed by the cast, costumes, sets, cinematography etc. One makes slight notice of the too familiar villains and good guys and intrigues but, still remain steadfast and mesmerized by the unfolding drama. You, me and everyone else..is firmly in little lady Vic's corner!! I can not wait for the next installments. No, I mean I REALLy can not wait! Thus, I'm forming my own ensemble-including Victoria's dog Dash. I must first find a suitable replacement for Ms. Coleman..how about YOU ?? {call me....}

Cute series..

Author: sanjin_9632 from Austria
24 December 2016

Cute is the adjective here. Because I hardly believe that the real Victoria was as cute as J. Coleman. This little birdie of nearly 5 ft. is a real delight (at least they got the height right). The only thing that kinda bugs me is that they just couldn't fix the eyes. The contacts made her eyes look like from another world or dimension. Other than that, superb and actually interesting series handling some history from the era. Some with accuracy, some less accurate. Sewell is one of my favorites. I'm used to him playing the bad guy or some kind of dark character who turns out the be the hero (Dark City), but in this he's superb as the helpful Lord Melbourne.

If one can look past the incest within the royal families from the era as a tool to keep the power within the circle and avoid conflict, than this series is quite entertaining. The supporting cast may be lesser known, but everyone's doing their part.

I like the 'Germans' in this. Predominantly because I live in Austria, near Germany, and it's always interesting hearing Brits speak German. I have to say 'Well done.', for the most part (with the exception of the right pronunciation). Sometimes it bugs me. This time it didn't. The mother (or the manager of the household) is a German actress.

I'm not going into detail (costumes, make-up, setting etc.) because with series like this one that stuff's mostly very well done. Overall very entertaining and I like that there are only 8 episodes. 7.5/10