An inspiring movie for all - not focused on the disease

Author: jenniferpaine from United States
2 November 2015

I was amazed at how the story of John's life held so many principles for how we can all live richer lives. His focus on intentionality of relationships and living in the present was something I needed to hear. It's so easy to get focused on planning for the future and working on the daily demands of home and work and forgetting to richly enjoy the current moment.

I think there is something for everyone in this film. His story is not only compelling but motivating. I was amazed at his transparency and willingness to let the audience into his life for us to learn.

The cinematography of combining interviews with old video and new video really enhanced the experience. The hour flew by!

The only thing the matters

Author: nick-03307
1 November 2015

Rarely in life do you find such wisdom in such a condensed format. This film is a brilliant look at a man who seemingly lost it all only to find out that was really missing everything all along. Once John was "sentenced" to a life of ALS he started to truly experience freedom through a new perspective. You will simultaneously cry and laugh and want to hug everyone in your life that you love. Do yourself a favor and watch this film at least once a year for a real perspective on what we are doing with our lives. It is beautifully produced, thoughtfully written and will have you questioning what you have been doing all along.

Wow! What an amazing testimony and life well lived!

Author: jenron-42275 from Florence, TX
14 November 2016

Wow! This was such an amazing film about John Paine. I'm so inspired in my walk with God by watching this and seeing his amazing attitude about his life with ALS. I loved seeing his family and network of friends that have stood by his side and have been so blessed watching him walk through this trial with so much grace. What an amazing inspiration of a life well lived! He will encourage you to walk closer with God and seek him with all you have. What a beautiful well lived life and the type of legacy I would love to leave! I would highly recommend purchasing this DVD and watching it at least once a year. Thank you for sharing your story and life with those around you. Many will be blessed and spurred on in their walks with the Lord! Thank you!

Amazing story that everyone should hear!

Author: (lessardiris@gmail.com) from Dallas, TX
24 May 2016

I know a fair amount about this debilitating disease, so I was worried that the film may bring on an overwhelming amount of sadness. Although there were some real tear jerk moments, the film perfectly captured the essence of faith, hope, love, and family. The film was incredibly uplifting and inspiring and the producer did a beautiful job of capturing authentic feelings instead of just images. It was incredible how rich of a story was portrayed in just over 60 minutes. I want the world to see this film, as I think John Paine's perspective on life is something that can only bring positive transformation to anyone who is willing to listen.

FANTASTIC movie

Author: Julie Barber from Dallas, TX
6 May 2016

This movie was so well done and it was truly inspiring to see a man look at his life in detail, face a terrible disease and find pure JOY in all things thrown at him.

This doesn't just bring awareness to ALS - it shows a greater purpose for all of us.

Bravo to all involved. My mom and I both agreed that it caused a heart change in both of us.

God bless you John Paine!

Thank you for being someone that anyone can relate to and for allowing us access into the heart and minds of those who loved you as well.

Amazing story of faith and family!

Author: Jyothi Titus
25 November 2015

This was a great film documenting how faith and family can change the focus of a terrible diagnosis. John handled his physical deterioration with such courage and grace. Hearing his story and the realization that life before ALS was like life for many of us, focused on work, family and faith, but not with the intentionality we should have in our relationships with God and family. We let the business of life fill our schedule instead of really living.

That John would embrace ALS for the positive changes that it brought him and call himself lucky was so inspirational and a great reminder of what is truly important in our lives.

Inspirational!

Author: rlphotography from Dallas
25 November 2015

Thanks Paine family for allowing us to be part of your journey! Turning suffering into gratitude is a charge I will take to heart. Excellent documentary. We left inspired, challenged and grateful. Thanks for being vulnerable and exposing yourself to a great audience to share your story. Fotolanthropy, thanks for the hard work you do to bring remarkable stories to us showing true heroes. The Angelika was a wonderful venue. I hope this film is able to continue being shown to more and more audiences, because the message here is timeless and eternal. The film making is lovely. I love that the story spans so many years and shows a progression that takes us from diagnosis to current day.

Best Story of Hope In a Long Time

Author: johnpaine-93442 from Dallas, Texas
9 November 2015

I really enjoyed this movie! It is more than another inspirational film about someone overcoming bad luck. It is about life. I found the way the story is told through a creative mixture of video elements from the past as well as the present very touching. The addition of interview commentary from multiple family members and friends added color to the story that was being told.

It was beyond "inspiring" as it left me with feelings of hope. It was such a gift to receive from the life of this man. I cannot wait to see this film again, and I have many friends who I would like to invite to watch with me. I am looking forward to the opportunity to share the experience with them.

When I think of movies that have stirred me, it has been a long time since I have felt hope like this. The Luckiest Man is a definite "must see" movie.

A Must Watch for the whole family!

Author: triforhim from Texas
4 November 2015

Very rarely do you see a film documentary that so captures the will and determination of one man and his battle. With excellent stories woven throughout, stunning cinematography, and a desire to learn even more about ALS, this film captures the hearts of it viewers right from the very beginning. Not only do you see a man who is giving glory to God in his journey, but you see an entire family who has been led by this amazing father and husband! You will see the struggles of ALS in one man, but you will see even more the victory of what it means to be a family in difficult times. This is a great watch for your entire family, don't miss this one!

Inspirational

Author: Laura Myers from United States
3 November 2015

This movie was so moving and so incredibly inspiring, my words will not do it justice. John Paine was at the top of his game. He had a successful business career, a loving wife, 4 great kids, lots of close friends, a beautiful home, etc. when he received the devastating news that he had ALS. With the life expectancy of people with ALS being 5 years and John Paine now living with this disease for 15 years, God definitely has a much bigger plan for John's life. When most of us would be shaking our fists at God and asking WHY, he does not. Knowing what ALS would do to his body and that his time on earth was now limited, his faith in God and his love for Jesus Christ has only grown. John's greatest love now is to encourage people and direct them back to God, even in the most horrible of times.