IMDb > I'm Not Ashamed (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
I'm Not Ashamed

I'm Not Ashamed More at IMDbPro »

Well, somebody should be ashamed.

Author: floraposteschild from Vancouver
12 December 2016

A semi-biographical (i.e. mostly made up) film about a girl who finds Jesus, has completely average problems, and sadly dies in a school shooting -- because that's the most important and interesting thing about Columbine. Those other kids, especially that boy who was killed for being black: who cares, really?

Rachel seems to have been a nice enough girl (although she conned her mother into thinking she was "witnessing" at all those drunken parties she attended), but she has been compared, in all seriousness, with Anne Frank. There are just so many parallels between a girl who had to study for physics tests, whose parents were divorced, and suffered absolutely no persecution for her religion or anything else until she died in a random shooting, with a Jewish girl during WW II who died of a horrible disease at the hands of people who hated her very being, after years of fear and suffering. They both wrote journals, dammit! But did Anne share her journal with a hunky homeless man? I think not.

Disgusting. Everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves!

Author: Jose Saenz
11 January 2017

The Columbine High School Massacre was one of the most important impacts of our nation and our school systems for a multitude of reasons. A rather common but nonetheless heartbreaking event, the tragic murders of twelve people left many hearts broken and spirits withered. Families, friends, and all people nationwide watch their TVs in shock and sorrow, as they hear the gunshots and see the tears flowing in young teenager's eyes. Most heartbreaking however was the fact that it wasn't some foreign terrorist attack nor some natural fire, but rather at the helm of two psychologically troubled teenagers who wanted revenge. This in particular led a huge impact in our society, such as a push to more weapons security as well as multiple campaigns on Anti-Bullying and Mental Health counseling. But a lot of these changes were hinged on the biggest question of the time - "why? Why did they do this?" Multiple claims were thrown into discussion but barely any of them were concrete: "It's the videogames!", says one. "It's the bullies!" says another. "Maybe it's that pesky Marilyn Manson!", says that fellow over yonder. Even to this day, these perceptions on the promotion of terrorism lingered as many people desperately wished for an answer to this tragedy.

But then, courtesy of the TV-level hacks of PureFlix, I'm Not Ashamed lunges into the fray and claims to finally have an answer! Centered around the recovered accounts of a diary by one victim Rachel Joy Scott, the film dares cement the fact that the tragic murders of 12 helpless victims were… an attempt to stop Rachel's task of spreading the word of the Lord. No really. That's it. I'm Not Ashamed literally evokes a metaphor saying that the root of terrorism stems from the fact that these people are Anti-God punk-rock losers who want to get revenge on those who believe in God.

OH MY FING GOD!! And that's not even the worst part of the movie.

I'm Not Ashamed is a disgusting dumpster fire of a movie. A terrible, poorly-conceived catastrophe that dares use the last moments of the victims of Columbine as a plot device to halt Rachel Joy Scott's "exodus" without ever respecting or properly representing the truth out of it. It's a pandering, bias-pushing disaster that sinks even below the worst this type of movie offers so far. It's Remember Me bad. It's Little Boy bad!

Masey McLain plays a ditzy, obnoxious, Gossip Girl-esque version of Rachel as she struggles with her last days of high school by supervision of her Christian household. After one harmless night out with her friends, her strict mother suggests the proper penance is to spend the summer in exile with her God-loving cousin in the farm so that she can find her righteous path. After she does, she acts like a saintly, cutesy little button to all her classmates. She helps a douchebag get back on his feet, joins a theatre class, and makes a lovely friend with a mentally disabled kid. DAW, MOVIE! YOU'RE JUST THE SWEETEST THING AREN'T YOU!?

It's not all smiles and sunshine though. At times, she ponders about her faith and her place in the world like any other angst-y, stupid teens back then who never keeps in mind to anything other than themselves. This happens along with her breaking up with friends, arguing with parents and boyfriend, and dealing with stereotypical bullies. But then after some undiscernible reason, she finally finds her place (again?) with God and finally make friends with everyone in the school.

Oh, and I should also mention the SHOOTERS OF COLUMBINE!?!?! Yeah, apparently Eric and Dylan's backstories are rushed and haphazardly scattered throughout the movie until the final scene in which they have their way with Rachel and her newly found Christian friends (a scene that, mind you, looks straight out of a sadistic Mel Gibson movie). Because of the insulting rush-job, they're given the most retrograde and insulting character traits that only the most cynical, right-wing filmmakers can come up with. They play violent videogames, argues against God, salutes to Hitler, wears black, gets bullied comically, shoots weapons for revenge instead of sport like the original two shooters, and worships a pho-creationist/fascist "natural selection" belief. These guys sound like they should be fighting against Jack Reacher instead of a classroom!

Even apart from the asinine depiction and the insulting agenda- pushing by PureFlix, I'm Not Ashamed is just bad. The staging and direction is limp and inert. There's no clear motivation or logic in anything going on within character or narrative. None of the acting works. The song cues are obnoxious. The dialogue swings from on-the- nose to just awkward. The drama's plagiarized tenfold from other, better high-school movies. Most damning, there's no way of smart, complex morality at play in a story that DEMANDS it. The bullies stop being bullies because "GOD, YAAS!!" and the shooters have no other trait beyond the "kill all that we hate!". It's insulting and unpleasant.

Now to iterate; I don't hate God or am against any of those who follow a belief. I strongly believe that anyone has a right to follow their beliefs and that I don't have any place to criticize anyone because of that. To all my Christian friends who love these Pureflix films or in general loves the aspect of spreading the word of the Lord, do what you wish and I am glad you do so.

However, as I still stand, this movie is just disgusting. Everyone involved should be ashamed for this movie. I would never criticize any belief or opinion, but for a movie like I'm Not Ashamed to do exactly that implicitly is just horrible. I want to burn this movie. I want to erase it from my subconscious and hope to never utter its name or see its poster again.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

Homage to one of the Columbine victims

Author: Paul Allaer from Cincinnati
22 October 2016

"I'm Not Ashamed" (2016 release; 112 min.) brings the story of 17 yr. old student Rachel Scott, who was the very first victim at the Columbine High School tragedy in 1999. As the movie opens, we get TV footage from those horrifying moments right after the shootings. We then go back in time, when Rachel was 8 years old, and her parents are splitting up, leaving her mom in a financial struggle to raise 5 kids. We then go to "April 1998 - Sophomore Year", with Rachel doing well in school. Rachel is particularly interested in the drama class. At this point we're not even 15 min. into the movie but to tell you more would spoil your viewing experience.

Couple of comments: this movie is marketed as a "christian" film, and plays out like one. If that is going to bother you, please do yourself a favor and catch a different movie for your enjoyment. I really didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised at the maturity, even sophistication, of this movie (the script is based on Rachel's journals, we are reminded at the beginning of the movie). That said, it is also a bit of a missed opportunity, as it focuses mainly on Rachel, and not hardly any time on the 2 shooters. If you have the expectation that this movie might delve into the "why did they do it", this movie will not provide the answer (other than some very general and broad brushes). All that said, the last 15 min. of the movie packs an emotional wallop, for obvious reasons. The movie makers hit the bull's eye when they cast Masey McLain as Rachel, she is absolutely fantastic. Bottom line: this is a fine movie (made on a dime, total budget a mere $1.5 million). But if you want to understand Columbine, this is not the movie for it. (Earlier this year, Sue Klebold, the mother of Dylan, one of the 2 Columbine shooters, issued a devastating memoir called "A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy", which I would readily recommend to anyone, Christian or not.)

The movie opened on a couple of screens this weekend here in Cincinnati. The Saturday matinée screening where I saw this at was attended very nicely, somewhat to my surprise. It sounds like there is a market for well-made Christian films. If, on the other hand, you want to get a look at the promising life of one of the Columbine victims (who this year otherwise would be 34 years old), then I would readily recommend you check this out, be it in the theater, on VOD, or eventually on DVD/Blu-ray.

I Loved This Movie

Author: nt-615-280754 from United States
21 October 2016

"I'm Not Ashamed" is a very inspirational movie that deals with a variety of today's social problems including bullying, helping the homeless, encouraging abused kids, the pain and anger of dealing with divorce, abandonment, not fitting in with the "in crowd", and how making good choices can affect your life......and how one person can make a difference.

There were some good examples of a variety of problems that everyone needs to become aware of. Many people live in their comfort zones and are not aware of the social problems all around them.

This had to be a great team effort by everyone involved in making it....the chemistry shows on the big screen.

I know that what happens in this movie can happen anywhere to anyone and I'm so glad that this movie is being shown in order to continue Rachel's outreach to encourage and help others.

I highly recommend this movie and encourage everyone to see it.

Maybe the Best Christian Film

Author: bkrauser-81-311064 from United States
27 October 2016

I'm Not Ashamed is based on the life and premature death of Rachel Joy Scott, a student who went to Columbine High School on the fateful day Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris committed, what was at the time the worst school shooting in U.S. history. The film is brought to you by Pure Flix Entertainment, an independent Christian film and television studio which should give you an indication of who this movie is for and what it's trying to accomplish. Given my particular track-record with this production company, I came in fully expecting to hate this film - especially given its uncomfortable subject matter. Yet by the time the film reached its inevitable, heartbreaking conclusion, I must admit, this little Christian title had me a bit misty-eyed.

The film begins with a young Rachel drawing on her wardrobe cabinet with Crayon. We're given a brief tour of her broken home before she's whisked away as a teen to Louisiana for the summer to stay with her aunt (under the pretense of avoiding negative influences). It is in Louisiana she rediscovers Christ, starting her sophomore year at Columbine as a baby born again with a necklace cross to prove it. Yet as she rejoins her friends she soon recognizes the struggle of being disciplined in a school culture dominated by teenage angst, blossoming libidos and weekend partying.

Is I'm Not Ashamed Ham-fisted; yeah, pompous and overbearing; sure, amateurish in its execution; you bet, but the story, partially taken from Rachel's diary has a ring of truth to it. We're put into her head-space and can empathize with her struggles to fit in while staying true to her values, finding humility in ourselves as she stumbles, falls and gets up again learning as she goes. For once I felt like I was watching a movie about a Christian instead of a Christian movie. It never feels like a lecture or a sermon but rather a case for understanding; a peek into a worldview through a coming-of-age tale.

The story is served stupendously by the young Masey McLain who doesn't so much debut as arrives to the medium announcing she's the genuine article. She easily sidesteps the stodgy staging, internalizes the poorly delivered lines of her counterparts and reacts like everything is designed for her. That's no easy feat when you have a movie that has her pulling a manic pixie girl routine for a homeless man (Davies) with poorly designed tribal tattoos and the haircut of a 1960's NASA employee.

Additionally, the very rudimentary direction and cinematography can't help but undercut the film at every turn. There wasn't a single inspired moment. Of course an argument can be made that I'm Not Ashamed purposely eschews the Norman Rockwell sheen of Miracles from Heaven (2016) or Heaven is For Real (2014) to give it a certain authenticity. Yet I'd be more receptive to that idea if it wasn't so obvious they were trying for it. At it's best the film has the poorly executed sweep of a below average music video complete with scenes of the least exciting teenage ragers in history. At its worst I'm Not Ashamed resembles a Valtrex commercial.

A lot can be said about producer David A.R. White and Pure Flix's unabashed cavort towards Christ-ploitation but at least there's little doubt they actually believe what they're selling. I'd be lying if I said I didn't pruriently enjoy the flippant potshots towards groups not attune to the film's values - in this case the silliest analog is Cameron McKendry as a crush who "doesn't want to use labels". At this point, the kind of culture war contrarianism this kind of stuff is known for should be reacted to with a roll of the eyes.

Yet when all is said and done, Rachel's initial message of compassion and kindness shines through the usual muck and noise. While yes, it might be just as shabby looking as your average 7th Heaven (1996- 2007) riff, the familiar wrapping shouldn't necessarily dissuade. For once we're treated to a grown up, Christian worldview that proudly states what it's about instead of quibbling over what it's against. Considering that almost never happens, I'm Not Ashamed is arguably the best Christian film made yet.

And yes I did chuckle during the credits when, once again, we were zealously given the number to the film's text campaign.

Fantastic film

Author: cwjohnsonjr from United States
21 October 2016

I'm Not Ashamed is a refreshing brake from the overly sappy Christian films and depressing, pessimistic art house films I have been seeing lately. The acting was fantastic! Kudos to Masey McLain, Ben Davies, Cameron McKendry, David Errigo Jr., Mark Daugherty and all the rest of the cast. The shooters aren't portrayed as soulless killers out to get just Rachel, but as hurting, confused young men who see violence, instead of the love and compassion of Jesus, as the answer to life's injustices. Errigo's performance in that role shines. The lighting was lacking at times, but overall the cinematography and camera work was well done. My biggest beef would be the conversion segment: it seemed rushed and her relatives were more tropes instead of living characters. Of course I was also disappointed that "Shreveport, Louisiana" looked like Colorado, but that's the fault of the folks in Baton Rouge cutting the film tax credit incentives.

Overall, I highly recommend you check this film out this weekend. And for the critics who complain about the film only focusing on Rachel, it does pay homage to the other victims at the end of the film, and no one is complaining about The Diary of Anne Frank being made into a movie when there were so many more victims of the Holocaust.

an inspiring and tragic story, with appeal beyond the Christian community

Author: Dave McClain (dave-mcclain@hotmail.com) from United States
24 October 2016

On April 20, 1999, in Littleton, Colorado, two Columbine High School students, seniors Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, murdered 12 students and 1 teacher at their school and injured 21 others in the deadliest U.S. school shooting to date. The first of the students killed was 17-year-old senior Rachel Scott, who was eating lunch with a fellow student just outside the school. The film "I'm Not Ashamed" (PG-13, 1:52) is Rachel's story. The script by Philipa Booyens, Robin Hanley, Kari Redmond and Bodie Thoene doesn't shy away from the buildup to the shooting, but this isn't primarily a story of tragedy. It's a story of faith.

In most ways, Rachel Joy Scott (Masey McLain) was a typical high school girl. She had supportive friends, but she was insecure. She was attracted to one of her classmates, but lacked the confidence to pursue her crush. She had struggles at home and sometimes did things that got her in trouble with her parents, but she wasn't really a "bad" kid. She had hopes and dreams, but couldn't see what life had in store. And she kept a journal, which forms the basis for the narrative of this film, plus first-hand accounts about Rachel's life and the circumstances surrounding her death… only weeks before she would have graduated. (Note: Rachel isn't the Columbine victim who was the subject of the book "She Said Yes".) As the film opens, Rachel's divorced mother, Beth (Terri Minton), is having trouble supporting herself and her five kids. (Rachel is the middle child.) Beth eventually remarries, but she and her new husband, Larry (John Newberg), have problems steering Rachel toward making positive choices in her young life, as when Rachel sneaks out at night to attend parties with her friends (Victoria Staley, Taylor Kalupa and Emma Elle Roberts). Rachel is being raised in a household of strong Christian faith, but doesn't really embrace that faith until after spending the summer before her senior year with family in Louisiana.

Even when she makes her family's faith her own, she struggles to live according to the Bible. She seems more concerned about pursuing a romantic relationship with Alex (Cameron McKendry), the BMOC in her drama class, and she shies away from discussing her increasing faith with him. Eventually, her commitment to Christ strengthens to the point that it drives a wedge between her and her closest friends. Yet, she still continues seeking, learning, growing in her faith, and finding ways to live out that faith, such as when she determinedly befriends and helps a homeless teen named Nathan (Ben Davies).

As Rachel's story unfolds, two of her classmates, Eric Harris (David Errigo, Jr.) and Dylan Klebold (Cory Chapman) bond over their shared hatred for high school culture and the world in general. With Harris taking the lead, the two teens begin discussing acting out their frustrations through violence and plan what became the Columbine Massacre. As their story careens toward its tragic collision with Rachel's, the focus stays on Rachel's spiritual journey and director Brian Baugh handles Rachel's final moments tastefully and with compassion (although he does take some liberties with a few of the factual details).

This is an inspiring and tragic story, with appeal beyond the Christian community. The Columbine Massacre is an event of ongoing interest and relevance, so there's understandable interest in a film set against that backdrop. This movie stays just this side of exploitation, but does indulge in a few brief moments of melodrama. The story of Rachel and her classmates is engagingly and realistically told and generally well acted. However, regardless of your personal religious beliefs (or lack thereof), Rachel's struggles with issues of faith and personal conduct should be relatable to most Movie Fans, and Rachel makes for a very sympathetic character. With built-in drama and universal themes, "I'm Not Ashamed" rises above most faith-based films in both appeal and quality. "B+"

I'm Not Ashamed is a MUST SEE MOVIE

Author: Jesse W Martin from United States
21 October 2016

My perspectives on doing interviews and connecting with Artists, Authors, and Musicians has changed dramatically. Taylor "Gabby" Kalupa said that she found my station from a pop up while surfer Facebook, that suggested she contact Racman Christian Radio. When I learned of this I thought, "I DIDN'T pay for advertising, but thank you God for open doors." This led to having Taylor on my show, led to having an interview with Cameron "Alex" McKindrey, which has led to my next interviews with Masey "Rachel" McClain and director, Brian Baugh! Now, I have just finished watching the inside pre-screening and I am beyond words for the message of the film. This is not a Christian film. This is a movie about a real girl; with real world struggles; whose life was snuffed out because she claimed her faith to the face of cowards who shot her. You must see this film: in theaters; on DVD; however, you can. Thank you to Beth Nimmo for being brave to share your daughter's true life for us to see!

Many movies have been made in response to the Columbine Massacre . . .

Author: Edgar Allan Pooh from The Gutters of Baltimore
27 October 2016

. . . with ELEPHANT, WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN, and THE UN!TED STATES OF LELAND being the three best. Apart from a few major flaws, I'M NOT ASHAMED might be on the short list for fourth place. The most glaring error in logic is placing Rachel's murder on the grass outside Columbine High School, where she's sitting alone with a virtual stranger. All four people within earshot (including the two killers) of her Big Moment are dead or dying within the hour. This seems to be an admission on the part of her family (which has apparently made upwards of $220 million and counting from Rachel's Big Moment, according to the closing credits) that it's merely wishful thinking upon their part (to put a charitable spin on it) that Rachel's Big Moment happened at all. Otherwise, ASHAMED portrays Rachel as a Wannabe, a constant Back-Slider belonging to Columbine High's chain-smoking, boozing, casual-sex, pothead, bullying clique. (Her killer, Dylan Klebold, specifically points out to her earlier that he and the rest of the Trenchcoat Mafia listen politely to HER school project, but when it's THEIR TURN, Rachel nips it in the bud--thanks to her being a Teacher's Pet--for being Politically Incorrect!) Rachel's journals, constantly featured here, are packed with quotes such as "I didn't want to live through the night," and she's shown teetering along a High-rise parapet playing Russian Roulette with her every stumbling step. Her religious sect teaches that "God works in mysterious ways," so it seems that this Rachel-Centric flick is suggesting that their God let Columbine happen largely if not primarily to save Rachel's Family from the Trauma of her impending suicide (or worse, such as a drunken wrong-way highway crash wiping out an Innocent Family of Five). You always hear from this Holier-Than-Though Crowd platitudes such as "Every Cloud has a Silver Lining," but in their case, it seems to be Golden!

Sweet and Touching Story. Inspiring Movie for all Ages.

Author: engelcr from United States
26 October 2016

This movie left me thinking, "Wow, how one life can touch so many people." As Rachel says in the movie, "God uses everything--even the bad." Rachel was an everyday teenager who struggled with the issues common to her age group. Yet in the end, she found faith that saw her through. Highly recommend this wonderful movie. It does not focus on the shooters although they have various cameos.

The acting was wonderful. Great casting. The production values are high. It is refreshing to watch a movie whee the central focus is "What is going on in my heart? Where am I going in life? How can I make a difference?" I drove home from the movie...just in silence....wanting the full effect of the movie to wash over me. I think as Rachel would probably tells us today, "Love never fails."