IMDb > Neon Bull (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Boi Neon

Neon Bull More at IMDbPro »Boi Neon (original title)

The feeling of discovering a new world

Author: louisekiev from Paris, France
15 September 2015

We all have heard something about Brazil. Carnival, favelas, soccer... One thing that I discovered watching this film is that I truly no nothing about this country and that still being a mystery to me, what is magical by the way. Different from some famous Brazilian movies (like City of God) Boi Neon don't talk about poverty or favelas, actually it's a movie about possibilities and dreams. The story of Iremar, a cowpoke who dreams with glitter and dresses show us a new world of possibilities coming from all Brazil. A truly beautiful way to tell the story of a nation who is constantly changing, full of hope and creativity. Director Gabriel Mascaro films all his character as an observer, someone from outside that don't even wants to move a hand to interfere in such a natural spectacle. At the same time his fascination almost eat the screen and this ferocity can reflect in the audience, completely enrapture. Boi Neon (Neon Bull) is magic, dream, a new way to see a country, a new way to see films. It's definitely not the kind of film we see everyday.

Meandering in an engaging way

Author: euroGary from United Kingdom
15 October 2015

When the programme of 2015's London Film Festival described 'Neon Bull' as containing "scenes of sexual frankness" I didn't expect one of them to feature a man masturbating a horse! But such is the world of South American rodeos as featured in this Brazilian/Uruguayan/Dutch co-production.

The film follows a group who transport unfortunate bulls from rodeo to rodeo. Galega is the driver, mother to annoying young daughter Cacá and occasional dancer for men who like to see women in sparkly costumes and horses-head masks (a niche market, I should think). Those costumes are made by Iremar, who also manhandles the bulls before they're sent into the arena, but who dreams of being instead a tailor in a clothing factory. There's also Zé, a fat buffoon of a man who serves as the film's comedy relief, and Júnior, who like Iremar is not the traditional macho stereotype of the South American male - he hauls bulls with the best of them, but then spends hours in front of the mirror fixing his hair. There's no central plot line as such; instead the film follows the characters through their daily lives, including one or two dramatic set-pieces such as the incident with the horse, and then ends.

This is not a film for prudes: sequences such as the horse incident, and a lengthy sex scene involving a heavily-pregnant woman, ensure that. Nor is it a film for those concerned with animal welfare: there are several distressing shots of the bulls being pulled to the ground as horseriders yank their tails, and the film opens with a shot of the bulls crammed so tightly into their pen that the head of one is being crushed beneath the flanks of another. I very much hope that these scenes were not enacted simply for the film but were filmed at actual rodeos, although that itself would be bad enough: in life as in art, animals should not suffer for human entertainment.

one man's journey on the sea of life

Author: cdcrb from United States
15 April 2016

I don't know if this is allowed but here goes. I see a lot of movies and submit a review for most of them. I really didn't know how to describe neon bull so I didn't review it. I just wanted to say that the review by eurogary (see above) says pretty much what I was thinking but couldn't manage to put down on paper, so to speak. a cowboy's journey through a few days of his life. it is really a very good movie and unusual. one thing I would point out is that even in eastern brazil, where there doesn't seem to be a lot going on, web addresses appear on most of the advertising signs filmed. it is a small world after all. and yes indeed, this is not a movie for prudes.