IMDb > "Good Behavior" (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Good Behavior"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Good Behavior" More at IMDbPro »

Dark, Seductive, and in the best Film Noir tradition

Author: RockyMtnVideo from Evergreen, CO
16 November 2016

I was not familiar with the books, on which this was based, so I was a bit stunned, early on, when this took a hard, right turn, into territory that you might not typically expect for TNT. I was stunned, not in a bad way, but simply because it was more like something I'd expect to see on HBO, where they can get away with sex, murder, and just about anything goes (all of which seems to be on the menu here, as well).

Suffice it to say that the main characters are a "bit flawed" (understatement, intended), but, of course, that's what makes it all so interesting. It didn't take more than about 10 or 15 minutes for Michelle to shatter her Downton Abbey image, and chart a completely different course in the acting universe, all of which she handles just as smoothly as she did the role that put her on our radar in the first place.

I'm only two episodes in (the two-hour pilot) at this point, so it is hard to fully judge the motive behind some of the character's actions, but at this point, all I know for sure is that I "really want to see more", and find out where this is all going.

Sorry, but in the effort to avoid any spoilers, I'm being intentionally vague, and leaving out any salient plot details. I'll simply say that this program, although having nothing similar in plot, seems to be in the vein of a program such as "Breaking Bad". You know that you ought not to like the main characters, but you just can't help yourself. Bottom line... I'm already hooked.

Good Behavior is more than Good

Author: drjgardner from California
17 November 2016

I'm not sure that another TV series or film about low life psychopaths is really needed. In just the first episode we've seen killing, shooting, stabbing, vomiting, robbery, prostitution, and drug taking. We've got a husband who wants to kill his clueless wife, a mother who lost all visitation rights to her child, a mother who hates her daughter, and a well-meaning but incompetent parole officer. Through it all the self-help tapes of the main character ask her to be all she can be.

Putting aside the dreary and depressing portrait being created here, there are a lot of things to recommend it. The main asset is Michelle Dockery who played Lady Mary Crawley in "Downtown Abbey". She is simply marvelous, playing a host of emotions like she was playing a fiddle. She gets good support from Terry Kinney as her parole officer, Juan Diego Botto as a hit-man, and Lusia Strus as her unforgiving mother.

The photography is excellent as is the direction. The story line is aggressive, bringing us in and out of all kinds of different environments, but it is effective.

This series reminds me a lot of "Rogue" the 2013 TV series about an undercover female detective starring Thandie Newton. It also has character elements of "Saving Grace" (2007-2010) starring Holly Hunter. If you're attracted to these types of series, this one will appeal to you.

I am impressed

Author: Todd1952-SF from San Francisco, California
16 November 2016

SPOILER ALERT – some plot details are mentioned below.

I'd been waiting for quite some time for Good Behavior's premiere last night, and I'm happy to say that I wasn't disappointed. In fact, there were two one-hour episodes that were aired back-to-back, making for a two-hour premiere. I think the second episode really did need to be aired with the first one, because there wasn't a really good stopping point between the two and a goodly amount of suspense was involved. One reason I was waiting with bated breath was Michelle Dockery. I'm an enthusiastic fan of Downton Abbey and I very much liked the character of Lady Mary Crawley as portrayed by Ms. Dockery. I suspected that Michelle Dockery was an extremely good actress from the way she played Lady Mary, and I looked forward to seeing her do something very different from that role. The TV advertisements for Good Behavior promised a very different character for her in the new series, and different it is.

Letty Dobesh is out on parole for good behavior, working at a waitress in a diner or coffee shop for a jerk of a boss when the series begins. At that point, we haven't seen her doing anything wrong, but her boss fires her when she has, in fact, done nothing wrong. We soon learn that she's a brazen thief with sobriety issues. She not only drinks, but uses drugs as well. She's also capable of conning people. And those are all reasons for Michelle Dockery to show us that she can act and then some. Not only does she speak with an American accent, she uses more than one type of American accent. Letty, for example, can affect a southern accent when she's wearing a wig and pretending to be someone other than herself.

In the course of her robbing hotel rooms while in cahoots with the front desk clerk, one man returns to his room with another man. Letty hides behind louvered closet doors and overhears a plot involving murder for hire. She does her best to keep the intended murder victim from being murdered – when it comes to crime, she is unwilling to step over the line between herself and killing other people. In the process of trying to prevent the crime, she is discovered by the murderer and ends up becoming his unwilling accomplice in a further murder. People who don't like "bad" language will not appreciate the language used in Good Behavior. Since it's on a cable channel, they use every vulgar word found in American English, though they do blank out all forms of the "f" word from the soundtrack and the closed captions. (It's easy enough to figure out what they've blanked out, since they don't blank out any other "dirty" words, and context provides all you need to know that a certain present participle used as an adjective is what's missing, for example.

So the story line itself is gritty, to say the least, and the character of Letty Dobesh is not wholly admirable – far from it. However, she makes for a very attractive anti-hero. The writing here is very convincing, as to both the story and the dialogue, and the characters are always interesting. The murderous bad guy, Javier, is played by Juan Diego Botto, a handsome Argentine man of slight build who appears to be much younger than his actual 41 years – and he's a perfect foil to the 35-year-old Michelle Dockery. So far, there has been a hint that Javier only undertakes to murder people who deserve it. Add that to his attractive appearance, and it's hard to hate him completely, just as it's hard to like Letty completely. Sill, Javier is on the bad side of the mark, and Letty is doing her best to keep him from doing what he does, though so far, she has managed to fail in two separate incidents.

I note that Letty has a particularly nasty mother who is doing her best to make Letty's life as miserable as she can, primarily by preventing her from seeing her son. Letty's mother is a piece of work herself, a chain-smoking harridan with a low voice my mother would have called a "whiskey tenor".

There is an occasion in the second episode for Michelle Dockery to sing a song, which is not a bad thing. She sings very nicely, with a lovely alto voice that is never shrill. If she came out with an album of vocals, I'd buy it.

I was enrolled in the goings on by the third minute of watching the first episode and, after that, I was riveted to my TV screen. I didn't want to miss a single word of the dialogue, a single frame of the visuals, or a single detail of the plot. Me, I would have liked it a lot less if the story and the dialogue weren't as gritty as they are.

I can see why Michelle Dockery went forward with Good Behavior. I believe she wanted the chance to show an audience what she could do, acting wise, and she certainly is doing that and then some. Here is an actress who is willing to get her hands dirty and her elbows scraped, who must believe that a really practitioner of her profession is one who can take on any role and make the audience forget any past roles she's played.

Great show, not just a good one – and all the better because Michelle Dockery is so convincing as a woman who isn't completely bad, but certainly not what you'd call virtuous. Letty Dobesh wouldn't be half as interesting if she were.

Taut, intense, addicting

Author: alisonmiller-74505 from United States
17 November 2016

This is a rare gem of a show. The premier reminds me of the way I felt the first time I saw an episode of Aaron Sorkin's West Wing or heard the opening number of Hamilton--the feeling of having just witnessed real genius. It's that good.

There is a scene in the first episode of this brilliant new show that is not only exquisitely acted (how can any review do Michelle Dockery's work justice?) but shot and directed with the skill and precision of a feature film. I realized about 8 minutes into this scene that I was so caught up in it, I had stopped moving and stopped breathing. Television can rarely keep my attention, much less pull me all the way in like that.

The whole show is deliciously dangerous and achingly touching. Offering two episodes back to back, the way dealers offer up free crack to the uninitiated, ensured absolutely our coming back for more.

Blown away - I want to be her.

Author: wildsparrow16 from United States
24 November 2016

This show is a roller-coaster ride going back and forth from the real world to the world we choose to hide in at times. Letty is out of prison, but falls in with "bad company", purely by chance. She is trying to make it in the world, but she still struggles with drugs, alcohol, thievery, and an emotionally abusive mother - for starters. She is incredibly likable - smart, tough, and incredibly brave- but can be vulnerable at times. She is deeply troubled with a compassionate heart - it is her heart that gets her into very large messes. All of the characters are incredibly convincing. This show has some humorous moments, but make no mistake - it is a rather intense drama. She wants very much to be "normal", but the people in the dark underworld she finds herself in treat her better than those in the real world. If you don't believe in second chances, this show isn't for you.

Michelle Dockery has won me over

Author: phd_travel from United States
27 November 2016

Not since Breaking Bad has a series caught my attention from the beginning. It's amazing how scary and tense and funny it has been in 3 episodes. The story is unpredictable and original and the lead character gets sympathy from the outset.

Michelle Dockery plays and ex con kleptomaniac on parole who gets caught up in an Argentinian assassin's schemes. It's a totally different role to Lady Mary on Downton Abbey. She displays a wide range of acting skills and emotions with different disguises. At first I didn't think her porcelain white skin and slim figure could be convincing in North Carolina but she is just so good it doesn't matter.

This is the best new drama of 2016 period.

Surprised by how good this show is!

Author: cerberusbaby from London
3 December 2016

I have been waiting to see a thriller like this on TV for a long time. Quite bored with most of the things shown today, I was pleasantly surprised when I watched the 1st episode by chance. The characters are so real, emotionally. I found myself waiting for the next episode with anticipation, and watching the previous ones again, which I never do. Rarely with movies as well. Both of the characters are so flawed and instead of hiding and making them tough, you can see the hurt and damage. And the obvious chemistry between them is very rarely seen on TV. The directing is amazing in the scenes where the two of them are together. Every moment when they are near each other evokes sparks! Good job guys!

One of the best new series on TV

Author: juliaflem-56871 from Texas
3 January 2017

Love Michelle in this. Impressive as Lady Mary in Downton Abbey, even more impressive in the role of a drug and alcohol addicted thief and loving mother. Love her as the chameleon who changes character depending on the wig she wears. Great sense of comedic and she shines when pitted against the lovely Javier, possibly the sexiest contract killer EVER, Just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this cast and the premise that keeps you on your toes. There is no second guessing the writers. Kudos guys. Keep up the good writing, well never be able to outguess you. Also love Mom. Great casting! The boyfriend is a bit predictable, but hey! You can't be perfect. Hoping you can keep it up for another several years - at least.

First class new series

Author: gradyharp from United States
30 December 2016

Chad Hodge and Blake Crouch have created what is becoming one of the finest series on television. Exceptional sensitivity to good vs. evil and attempting to define which is which, and the manner in which two bright and talented people who have tainted pasts work out their lives in crime is unnervingly well acted by a brilliant cast.

Letty Raines (Michelle Dockery) is a thief and con artist whose life is always one wrong turn, one bad decision, from implosion. Which is just how she likes it. Fresh out of prison, she's attempting to stay afloat. But when she overhears Javier, a hit man (Juan Diego Botto) being hired to kill a man's wife, she sets out to derail the job, sending her on a wild collision course with the charming killer, and entangling them in a dangerous, seductive relationship. Add to this Letty's need to see her son Jacob (Nyles Steele) who is being held by Letty's sot of a mother (Lusia Strus) and her live-in boyfriend (Joey Kern), Letty's parole officer Christian (Terry Kinney), and a host of other fascinating characters and the ensemble casting is excellent.

This is one of the finest series new to television this year. Hopefully it will be continued into next year.

Defies the norm

Author: jonmccann from United Kingdom
7 December 2016

We have an enormous amount of choice, especially the last 5 or so years, we have goodies, baddies, bikers, zombies, serial killers, drug manufacturers/sellers, Kings, Queens, Vikings....Oh my the list goes on...So writers finding a part of the spectrum not exhausted is getting tougher...(in the voice of Jeremy Clarkson) Until now!

It is hard to describe this show, it is gritty, it is a bit wooahhh when you least expect, it turns from slow moving to racy in an instant, and turns normal scenarios to shocking as quick, I suppose it is similar to Weeds as a TV show, but it has it. The acting, aside from the odd moment, is extremely good, the story line is understandable, but sometimes slightly misleading/confusing till a turn reveals all, it has drugs, alcohol, the demons of and sex, a little too much sex at times, but then, I can live with that! Most importantly, it has a new twist on the story telling, with the viewer left with an urge for the next episode. That's not easy these days, we have our faves, breaking into that mould is quite tough...But Good Behaviour might just do it!

Well worth a watch, albeit be prepared for it being not what you expect, in a good way!