IMDb > The Wild Life (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Robinson Crusoe

The Wild Life More at IMDbPro »Robinson Crusoe (original title)

Near Pixar Quality Animation, Not Pixar Quality Storytelling

Author: tiagodb
16 April 2016

It may not be fair to compare an independent Belgian animation to industry dominators like Pixar, but the film industry is competitive.

This film has excellent animation considering it was made by an independent company. Many vibrant colours are featured, and although the don't burst of the screen like Rio, it does add to the aesthetics of the film. Yet, it does feel like the film is very self contained, but it doesn't impact it in a good way. The setting explored (or not) has a lack of scope and the film clearly suffers from this. But for kids, this will not be a problem.

Despite strong design and animation, the direction is nothing notable. There are a maximum of two slightly interesting ideas (in the form of transitions) but other than that, everything else seems average, with no courageous attempts add to adding anything to the story.

Unfortunately, the film falls flat on the storytelling (particularly through dialogue) which just results in everything being cliché and predictable; it brings nothing new to the table. It appears that the writers just gave up, a shame considering if the dialogue wasn't so forced then the film wouldn't suffer so much. There isn't even an innuendo to keep the adults entertained.

This film is a good way to keep the kids occupied for 90mins, but nothing that adults will obtain any pleasure from (unless you are in awe of the animation which I doubt you will be).

What a pleasant movie for both kids and adults

Author: clj-5 from Copenhagen, Denmark
29 June 2016

I almost missed this movie - that my daughter at 8 and her coisin at 10 wanted to see - after reading the harsh comments here on IMDb. 5/10? come on!... But I decided to give it a go. And what a pleasant surprise it was. The animations are superb, I missed nothing here compared to Pixar and Dreamworks. And the story and screenplay was above average too. I could name dozens of high profiled animation movies with worse stories. I was entertained all the way, and had to stop myself from breaking out in applause at the end. There's something this studio does in its own way, which is not typical the big studios, and thats refreshing. Looking forward to their next piece. Im giving it a solid 8 out 10, and will definitely recommend this film to everyone. A very fine piece of art. Thank you.

Good for the kids but not much for adults

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
2 August 2016

As a family film, 'Robinson Crusoe' is a long way from awful but it misses the mark. It may be good for kids, providing that they don't expect too much, but adults won't find much for them.

Just for the record, this is coming from a huge lifelong animation fan in her early 20s with many animated films being considered favourites, just in case one accuses me (as is so the standard thing on this site these days) of seeing it through adults eyes too much.

The best thing about 'Robinson Crusoe' is the animation, with the exception of stiff human designs and lack of scope for the setting. There is a lot of gorgeous detail, especially the parrot's feathers, rich vibrant colour, good smoothness of movement and the animals look good.

'Robinson Crusoe' also has a groovy and dynamic soundtrack, the story (even if a very, very loose adaptation of the story) is at least coherent and easy to follow and some of the characters have charm, especially Ainsley (though really disliked the rather cheap treatment of him) and the humorous if slightly over-used villainous cats.

On the other hand, while the story is coherent it is also very predictable, too safe and bland, not much to be excited by here, even the climax feels like very watered down Looney Tunes/Tom and Jerry or something. The human characters do lack the colour and charm that went into some of the animals, especially the dull and unsympathetic protagonist, and other characters veer on the annoying. The script is lacking in laughs, emotion or any kind of colour. The voice acting is not too great, there's been worse but it does sound inexperienced with clichéd and obviously false accents.

In conclusion, good for the kids but little for adults. 5/10 Bethany Cox

Definitely not the best animated film I've seen.

Author: subxerogravity from United States
30 September 2016

It was very cute but that was not enough to make it all that good.

The animation was pretty good, and I love the fact that the animation seem to be the focus of the film. So much in fact that no big name stars voiced any of the characters in the movie (Being a very small section of the end credits).

Although this did effect the story greatly. The movie is a retelling of Robinson Crusoe, from the point of view of the animals that help him survive on the uncharted desert isle for so long with most of the focus being on a parrot named mac, but Crusoe calls him Tuesday.

The story is not as good as the animation that is telling it, which is going to cost it from being a classic, but it still a OK animated film to see.

Not a total shipwreck but still needed rescuing

Author: Guy Jeffries from London, Uk
5 May 2016

An animated feature that isn't Dreamworks or Pixar Disney? Instead an independent animation studios based in Brussels by the name of nWave Pictures. Having a small portfolio but boasting the first 3D animation feature 'Fly Me To The Moon' in 2008 and a fairly successful 'House of Magic' (2013) I'm impressed by their ambition.

I have to remind myself that it's a cartoon movie and the target audience would be children as it's based loosely on Daniel Dafoe's pioneering novel, which is much darker involving cannibalism and murder. It's probably more on an ideas of Crusoe as oppose to a movie about the book.

It's very vibrant and the animation is great, crewed by voice actor regulars but unknowns. I do wonder if a bigger voice would have promoted this film more; I'm not saying the acting was bad because it isn't. I suppose the budget wouldn't allow the team to do so.It unfortunately doesn't bring the same level of entertainment or laughs that the big guns like Disney and Dreamworks do, however it doesn't feel rushed and is structured quite nicely; I just doubt there enough going on to keep the attention of viewers, especially the younger ones.

The characters are good but again just falls short of feeling anything towards any of them. I couldn't pick a favourite character and some actually start to be annoyingly clichéd more than anything. Even with a character death, it just hits the deck.

It's a good effort and easy to watch, but there's little else to note about it. But keep up the good work nWave! There's some serious hidden treasure there and this isn't a complete shipwreck.

Running Time: 6 The Cast: 4 Performance: 8 Direction: 6 Story: 6 Script: 5 Creativity: 5 Soundtrack: 6 Job Description: 5 The Extra Bonus Point: 0

51% 5/10

★★★ - ticks all the boxes

Author: Elliot D. George from United Kingdom
7 May 2016

In an age where animation has endless possibilities, it's nice to see a movie that doesn't get bogged down trying to be unique, current or for all ages. Robinson Crusoe does a very solid job as a simple but fun flick you can stick on for the kids. But nothing more.

Having seen the trailer a dozen times or so, I was expecting to be totally disengaged and bored, but it managed to stay interesting throughout. The animation is surprisingly strong, detailed and textured (especially the parrot's feathers). Though this meant it was nice to look at, a lot of the movement lacked physicality, which doesn't sound like a bit deal but it made some of the slapstick gags less effective.

The main problem is the script. There's nothing disastrous about it, it's just very safe and uninventive. We're quite spoilt with the likes of Pixar in their quirky characters and dialogue, which makes movies like this feel badly written. But it does the job. The pretty amateur voice cast doesn't help either, being dubbed from its original French to English.

Ticks all the boxes, but is in a completely different league to the likes of big budget Pixar and DreamWorks movies. Not worth paying to see, but if it's on TV it'll happily entertain the kids while you do something more interesting.

Not fair

Author: kosmasp
27 September 2016

Is it fair to judge a kids movie on its appeal to adults? On the other hand, with all the good animated movies that came out recently which also appeal to adults/parents and have quality that can be reviewed by "older" people to a better degree, I'd say all is fair. So consider this when seeing the rating and make up your mind, if it's important or what's important in its appeal.

Having said that, there is also the very real thing of having "star" names of German comedy or cinema taking on major roles here. People have made the argument, that there are professional animation dubbers, who know their job. Depending on your liking or disliking for that matter, someone like Schweighöfer will get a reaction from you. Again, as a kid you won't care, but probably also not read this. So it's the parents who if the kids want something new and you want something that they can watch by themselves, there are worse choices than this

Doesn't even qualify for the bargain bin at Roses

Author: Robert Durant from South Carolina
10 September 2016

In all the years I've been watching movies in the theater I've never once found a movie bad enough that I forced myself to get my money back and leave. Had I not had my daughter with me today to see this I would have broken that promise.

I went into this thinking "hey Rio meets Robinson Crusoe" with funny animals. My kid would like it and I'd be entertained. NOPE!!! By the way did anyone else see the trailer for this and think this was Rio 3 but with a red bird? This looked like something that had a lot of potential going into it and that quickly died the moment i started checking my watch.

Somebody must have been scammed out of their money for this to get a theatrical release because it barely qualifies as Netflix only kind of movie. The animation is passable but other than that it's just not worth your time or money. Studio Canal and nWave made a much better a movie a few years ago, "The House of Magic" that by far is a hundred times better than this and I didn't have to pay anything to see that, in fact it's on Netflix RIGHT NOW.

There were no funny jokes, repetitious dialogue, multiple endings that made this thing go on and on and on. Save your money or pay for something much better. If you have to see this wait for Netflix but other than that it's completely avoidable.

Great animation and 3D Stereography, Not for younger Children though

Author: 3D Phil from Wolverhampton, England
10 January 2017

I watched this with an open mind Knowing that this was an independent Belgium film, Why people judge everything against multi million dollar Pixar and Disney films i do not understand it. I thought the film to be very well animated for a film with a fraction of what it would cost in Hollywood, with wonderful set design and landscapes, hair and costumes were very good too, The water effects during the storm and ship wreck were absolutely fantastic, This was one of the best 3D stereoscopic animation films that I have seen, great use of perspective, occasionally the use of wide angle shots gave too much distortion and the stereo window was broken at times, but Wow what a great effort, lots of in and out of the screen stereo effects that really worked well, Some reviewers say it was to cramped in its location, hello, this is called Robinson Crusoe, a man shipwreked and surviving on an island, they did try to expand this by adding the island of bugs but it perhaps was not featured enough. This film is not suitable for younger Children though as there are a few adult themes, namely the death of one of the dogs, and some very scary cats. But apart from these reservations I thoroughly enjoyed the film and the 3d experience and highly recommend anyone who loves good looking animation to give it a look. and just think about what this independent company have managed to achieve, I say well done to them all. I give it 9 out of 10

Terrible terrible movie!

Author: cullenmhobbs
28 November 2016

Holy crap. I feel like I just sat through torture!!! This movie is terrible! There is almost nothing redeeming about this movie!

Pros. Good animation The 2 main characters are good enough. They have some good character development....... Waddaya waiting for! Oh you want more pros well I don't have any more so maybe you should just move along to the cons section! Cons. You know how I said the 2 main characters are good. Yeah well the rest of the characters have NO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT WHATSOEVER! You just don't care about them at all! I also hated how everything was explained to you like your some kinda! I don't know 4 year old! It's that bad! The story Is so cliché and stupid!!! I hate the story It makes no sense and there are some huge plot holes in this movie! I don't mean little holes I mean BIG BULGING HOLES IN THE PLOT BARELY LEAVING ANY PLOT LEFT AT ALL! And the humor in this movie is horrendous! The only type of reaction I got out of the humor was maybe a grin every now and then. A very very very small grin that lasts 2 seconds. So overall The Wild Life is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life I absolutely hate it I definitely don't recommend you watch it ever and It's incredibly bad. The Wild Life gets an F