IMDb > "Chicago Med" (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Chicago Med"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Chicago Med" More at IMDbPro »

I like this Chicago series best

Author: bkm-7 from United States
17 September 2016

I tried watching the Fire and Police ones, but neither of them hold a candle to Chicago Med for me. It's largely due to the delightful performances of Oliver Platt and S Epatha Merkerson - not that they're even featured as frequently as the younger actors. I just really respect and enjoy their performances. Of the younger crowd, Colin Donnell reminds me of a younger Patrick Dempsey, and I really enjoy the story lines with Dr Choi (Brian Tee) and Sarah Reese (Rachel DiPillo). Choi reminds me a bit of the Tim Kang's Kimball Cho from The Mentalist - sharing the same stoic, efficient, pursuit of excellence in their jobs. DiPillo is believable as a young, hesitant med student who is still trying to find her place among the other health care professionals. I like Chicago Med and will continue to watch it as long as it airs.

Chicago Med

Author: racddu from United States
7 April 2016

Most people say that any show about emergency rooms or hospitals in general are boring because it's the same old stuff over and over. From St Elsewhere to Chicago Med each show and each episode provides tense feelings. I love Dr. Daniel Charles, he keeps every one in the right mental state. Some times he has to think about certain situations but he comes to the right conclusion. Sharon Goodwin has the most important but mentally intense job in keeping the ER running smoothly but quickly. She does a great job at her role. All the cast do a great job at their characters. Chicago Med with each episode keeps you drawn to the show until the end. The situations the team go through are intense but everyone does their job to help the injured. I like how the producers bring all the Chicago shows together, it makes it seem more like reality. I hope Chicago Med goes a long way. I don't miss an episode of either of the shows. Chicago Med, Fire and PD are Awesome #1 shows on TV.

Incredible! Entertaining, medically accurate, family of health professionals

Author: hotrina89 from United States
5 May 2016

I am falling in love with this show! i love a TV show that entertains and teaches at the same time. I happen to be a medical student and this show is so accurate! And I love how they show cases of rare or unusual medical cases. This show actually helped me remember some syndromes for my board exams! I love how the doctors, surgeons, nurses, EMTs, lab techs all act like a team and better yet, a family! Other shows might make surgeons talk down to nurses or undermine the doctors. But this show has everyone working together from different departments and specialties with such respect for one another and I absolutely love that! It's only season 1, can't wait to see what else they have in store!

Meh

Author: Not Jim from Brasil
25 February 2016

"Meh" is what defines this show to me. It isn't particularly good nor particularly bad, it's not even memorable, to be honest. The characters were boring at best and hateful at worst, the main story lines are just average and I couldn't be bothered about them, the "subplots" (that's what I'm calling the stories that are limited to one episode) were sometimes interesting, but their development was eventually flawed and not at all spectacular... But it's not remarkably bad either, it's just... plain, flat, dull.

It's simply not remarkable or memorable in any way, so I'm left with very little to say about it. It's a forgettable show and I wouldn't advise anyone to waste their time watching it.

Meh. It's a bit tired.

Author: elizrug from Rome, Italy
16 November 2016

EDIT: Based on others' reviews I decided to check out Code Black, another medical drama.

Why does Code Black have the same story about a hockey player as Chicago Med? I checked the airing dates:

Code Black, season 1, episode 2: Oct. 7, 2015 Chicago Med, season 1, episode 10: Feb. 16, 2016

How has this escaped attention and why is it OK?

§I never knew there were a whole group of shows that were all related. I just started watching this on a whim, and because I generally like medical shows.

This one is so fake it almost seems like a soap opera. The acting is extremely stiff at times, especially Brian Lee, who play's Dr. Choi. It's almost funny.

It also picks up at the start of some episodes as if all viewers are supposed to know what happened before, like in the episode where the firefighter colleague of theirs arrives with a huge mess of people waiting for him, and nothing is even said about that or his recovery. I guess it's necessary to watch Chicago Fire or something to understand that, but it's messy for the viewers if we don't.

I also don't like how the brand names of meds are thrown around. It seems like a pug for the pharmaceutical industry. It's not necessary. The script could call for an actor asking for a sedative with a fake name instead of calling out for Ativan. The doctor could ask the patient if he/she tried any pain reliever instead of saying Tylenol.

This show is OK for background noise while I'm doing something else.

Irresponsible use of actual wrong drugs names.

Author: louann_wallace from Tennessee
9 February 2016

Medical adviser needs to be careful of Psychiatrist telling the wrong drugs for bipolar disorder. The storyline was that lithium was the only drug to help bipolar disorder and when he mentioned other drugs the patient had tried he quoted SSRIs which should not be prescribed to bipolar cause they throw the person into a manic state. If he doesn't know these problems he shouldn't use the drugs names. Get creative and make something up but don't use actual drugs names. I usually really like this show but was disturbed about the misinformation presented. The story lines are excellent and I really like the characters on this show. They aren't afraid to approach some tough issues. There are always great conflicts in hospitals between lawyers and doctors, nurses, and insurance people and this show demonstrates those. They just need to keep it more realistic and accurate.

Blah...

Author: MB from Florida
18 May 2016

I'm really tired of medical dramas that treat one specialty of Doctor like they alone run the hospital and even MORE sick of pathology being ragged on. Without pathology you have no diagnosis or treatment plan. No staging for cancer. No blood transfusions (yeah that's right pathologists run the blood bank). No microbiology. No lab tests. Pathology may not be front and Center in the patients face during all care, but showing only "basement dwelling, autopsy happy, nerds" is not just a slap in the face, it's also disrespectful on so many other levels. Hospitals work based on teamwork. No one department does it all. For once I wish a show actually would show that.

The acting is also meh... But that could improve. Maybe

Bad, bad, bad, and then bad some more.

Author: Alex Hristova
16 December 2015

After the first episode I knew that it was not going to be. But I decided to watch the others as well, just to give it a fair chance. I stopped the 4th one halfway through.

Some of the story lines that they are presenting, the way the doctors take sides and the sides that they take at that, are just ridiculous. *SPOILER!* Like the case of the girl who gave birth and left her baby in a freaking backpack in the back of an ally, to die. WTF?! Even a bigger WTF is how, the hell, is Melissa (well, sorry, but I don't know her real name) defending her like that, considering that she plays the role of a pregnant woman, whose husband died overseas. In real life, she is NEVER going to defend that girl, NEVER. No one would. Or in the other episode, where a dumbass decides it's a fun prank to go into a theater with a leaf-blower, pretending that it's a gun, people start running for cover, someone gets up and shoots the kid. A woman got trampled to death, while protecting her child from the crowd. The kid is in bad condition, they have to clamp the blood supply to his liver so that he doesn't bleed to death, but of course, that would require a new liver. He isn't getting one, as anyone could imagine. At this point, the doctors plead with the woman's husband, for him to directly donate her liver to the guy responsible for her death. B*tch, please. And he f*cking agrees! Not to mention that the guy who shot "the shooter" was being condemned for doing what any sane person would have done. This is not a case of "oh, look at him, he shoots first, asks questions later". No, it is the case of "if he didn't shoot the little d*ck and it turned out that he was actually carrying a semi-automatic, you would have all been dead. D-E-A-D." It's called "self-preservation", b*tch. *END OF SPOILERS!*

It's just stupid, that's all. Very, extremely unrealistic. If the cases in this show were presented in Grey's anatomy, for example, they would have been handled much better. But then again, they would never do that to themselves, introducing such cases. It's very "shiny", but it sucks. "Code black" is not nearly as "shiny" (if you watch an episode, you'll see what I mean by "shiny"), not at all actually, but it's freaking good. Go watch that, instead of this BS.

Good acting, directing, producing in Chicago Med?

Author: pberry73-792-634486
29 November 2015

Had high hopes for Dick Wolf's latest creation. The bar has been set very high with medical series like Chicago Hope (George Clooney!), E.R., Grey's Anatomy, etc. However, in episode 1 of Chicago Med, not halfway through, Gehlfuss messes up his line and they (director/producers) let it air with the glaring error! Was there no medical technical adviser on set? Or anyone with ears? Viewers have seen enough medical dramas to know that the word is "intercranial", that's in ter cran i al — 5 syllables — but he said "intercranal". Not an auspicious series beginning. Thirteen episodes is all we'll get of this one. Perhaps the New York Times was right, "meh".

Inaccurate portrayal of health care provider roles

Author: jesshammond
16 January 2016

I've been a nurse for more than a couple years and currently work in the Emergency Department. While I understand that this is a TV show and will therefore have a level of inaccuracy, there are a couple problems that people should be aware of. The number of times a nurse has said "Yes doctor" on this show is so disturbing. I have never said "Yes doctor" in my life! Sixty years ago, maybe this was the norm. Nurses stood up for doctors then too. Those days are long over. Times have changed, but unfortunately stereotypes have not! Nurses aren't glorified secretaries as they seem to be on this show. Nurses don't just answer phone calls, usher family members out of the room, and hand physicians charts. There are secretaries to "page the OR." 99 percent of medications, blood products, and IV fluids given in real life are given by nurses, not residents or physicians. Those include life saving medications such as epinephrine during CPR and clot busting medications like TPA given during an acute stroke. In addition, nurses make recommendations for lab work, treatments, and medications to physicians on a daily basis and physicians ask nurses for their opinions, especially in the critical care settings, like the emergency department.

Since there is generally a death on every show, I would like to go over the overall responsibilities of different health care providers during codes. The physician's/medical staff's role in CPR is to run the code (with or without the primary nurse), intubate (insert a breathing tube), decide on the medications to be given, insert chest tubes (if indicated), and insert central/arterial lines. The nurse gives the medications, administers blood, products/IV fluids, defibrillates (shocks) and paces the patient, inserts IVs, draws blood, assists with intubation and line placement, inserts urinary catheters, inserts nasogastric or orogastric tubes, and performs chest compressions. Techs (CNAs - Certified Nursing Assistants) who work in the ER primarily perform chest compressions, insert IVs, draw blood, and grab stuff for people during codes. Some techs can insert urinary catheters and nasogastric tubes as well. Respiratory therapists are there to assist with intubation and draw ABGs (Arterial Blood Gas - blood drawn by puncturing an artery). Some hospitals allow respiratory therapists to intubate. At some hospitals nurses can draw ABGs. In my ED, physicians are generally the one intubating and nurses in the ER do not generally draw ABGs. Once the code is over, the physician, frequently with the primary nurse, will go talk to the family about how the patient is doing. If the code is going on for a while and it looks like the patient won't make it, we will invite the family back while still coding the patient. This is to give the family a chance to see that we are doing everything possible for the patient and to give them once last chance to see their loved one before they are called (dead).

The other inaccuracy I would like to point out is that Sarah Reese is a 4th year med student and therefore cannot be referred to as a Doctor on the show or in cast descriptions on the website. In real life, Sarah would be introduced as "Sarah Reese, a 4th year medical student at XYZ University."