IMDb > The House (2017/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The House

The House More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Terrible, Awful Film...and I am a Will Farrell fan!

Author: TheTruthDoor from Austin, Texas
2 July 2017

Don't believe the positive reviews about "The House", they are bought and paid for reviews.

The House is a god awful, terrible film. It has absolutely nothing going for it. The acting is bad, the plot is terrible.

Nobody laughed during the entire film....nobody.

I am a Will Ferrell fan and I like Amy Poehler, I like them both but I just cannot lie to you about this film.

It is so bad that it may ruin both of their acting careers.....it is that bad.

Whew....it stinks.

This is very bad!

Author: rodrig58
4 July 2017

Will Ferrell is a good actor, he has his own specific original comic charm. But nothing of that can save this film from the disaster. It's so bad that probably you'll leave the cinema hating all those who made the film and there are real chances that you'll never want to see Will Ferrell again, in another movie, with this one he lost a lot of his audience. Amy Poehler probably thinks she's funny, but she's just the opposite, she's just annoying. All the other actors, including Jason Mantzoukas, Ryan Simpkins, Nick Kroll, Allison Tolman, Rob Huebel, are really frustrating. These people don't know at all what entertainment means! Ridiculous!

Broke My Will Farrell Pledge

Author: james_norvell from United States
1 July 2017

I wanted to go to the movies to have a laugh, so I decided to break my pledge to never, ever go see a Will Farrell movie. Bad, bad, bad mistake. There were more laughs in Kramer v Kramer. This was very possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. Gratuitous, nonstop foul language in what had to a parody of bad comedy, no one could make this crap on purpose. I would have left after 20 minutes, but my wife was getting a nice snooze. When she woke up at the credit roll and asked what she had missed, I said "Absolutely nothing." My new pledge is to never, under threat of assisted suicide, go to a Will Farrell OR Amy Poehler movie.

Truly 'A'wful

Author: jase-36 from United Kingdom
5 July 2017

I went in to the cinema expecting to be entertained with a funny and entertaining film. Oh how I was let down. The acting if just plain bad. The humour is almost non-existent, and when there is some, it is dragged out until it is no longer funny. Almost from the beginning I was tempted to walk out of the cinema, but I was hoping that the film would pick up - I wasted the 80 plus minutes of my life.

I do not know when I will be able to risk watching another film with either of the lead (I should use the term 'Actors' here, but I felt that there was nothing that could be referred to as acting in the film from them). Avoid, and save some of your life.

Worst movie I've seen in a long time

Author: davidandmollybaker
30 June 2017

My son and I left the movie thinking we were angry we wasted our money! I didn't laugh once in the movie! I think it's the worst movie I've seen in a VERY long time!! So disappointing! Not a single person in the theatre laughed once! I'm not in a hurry to see a movie with Will Ferrell or Amy Poehler anytime soon!!

Awful........... Just AWFUL!

Author: will-fox17 from ENGLAND BABY
30 June 2017

Lets get one thing straight, Will Ferrell is a comedy genius! However this movie sucked from start to finish. There is no LOL moments. The story was OK i suppose but the actual comedy in the film is lacking BIG TIME. Do not pay to go and see this movie you are wasting your money. Stay home with a big glass of scotch and watch anchorman on DVD. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

A poorly edited unfunny mess that loses Will Ferrell his loyal fans

Author: Supwill (williamduffy) from Cork, Ireland
7 July 2017

This is easily the worst comedy i've seen this year. Almost every aspect possible is poorly executed. Story, Characters, Editing, Directing, Humor, Soundtrack, ETC. I went in with an open mind thinking that i could find this film somewhat entertaining, but i didn't even crack a smile. I sat through 90 minutes of absolute pain and misery.

Will Ferrells films as of late have been garbage, ranging from the absolutely forgettable and bland Get Hard, to the Cliché and obnoxious Daddys Home. After this film, i've officially given up on his films, and it seems that many other Will Ferrell fans have as well. His performance in this film consists of him overacting at seemingly random points, and gets old really fast, but at least he was trying in this film. The rest of the cast were absolute crap. Amy Poehler, Jason Mantzoukas, Nick Kroll, Rob Huebel, and especially Ryan Simpkins, were terrible in this movie, just like the characters they portray. All of the characters are bland clichés and stereotypes that have nothing funny, unique, or interesting about them.

This film is quite possibly the longest 90 minutes i have ever sat through. I literally felt like i was in the theater for hours, only to realize that i had another half hour to go. The pacing is so slow and tedious, there's too much filler and a load of subplots that don't go anywhere (such as the daughter doing drugs), and despite being a film about a home casino, there's barley any fun gambling scenes in the film. There's only one near the beginning (but because of the dreadful pacing i thought it was at the halfway point) but its so poorly shot, rushed, and has an agonizing slow motion effect shoehorned into it.

Speaking of which, this has got to be some of the worst editing I have ever seen in a film. Some scenes are so quick and pointless purely because of the way they are edited. there's this one scene where the casino runs a pool party during the day (even though the casino is supposed to be secret), but there's no jokes, no exposition, no fun to be had in the scene, and it ends on a terribly rushed edit. There's also poorly choreographed fight scenes that have horrible shots, badly placed slow-mo, horrible fake blood, and there isn't even any fun music to make these scenes more entertaining. Its pretty pathetic when the trailer has better editing and soundtrack than the actual movie.

Overall, The House is a terrible summer film that only succeeds in Losing Will Ferrell his fans, and because his next film is Daddys Home 2, it doesn't look like he's going to be winning them back anytime soon.

Whoever wins, the audience loses

Author: dbcint from New Zealand
29 June 2017

Every so often, a movie comes along that exceeds all expectations, and revitalises a genre that had been looking a little tired. There were several movies that did it for horror last year, and the results have been amazing. Can the comedy genre please get one of those movies? Look, it's not all doom and gloom. We had a couple of hits earlier in the year with Pork Pie and Going In Style, and even Baywatch had a few laughs. But with Rough Night and now The House, we've hit a downward trajectory. I'd say we can only go up from here, but I'm honestly terrified that might not actually be the case. The premise of this garbage is that Scott and Kate (Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler) are terrible parents. More specifically, it's that they can't afford to send their daughter Alex (Ryan Simpkins) to college, because the scholarship they'd been relying on has been discontinued. (Why? Because the councilman in charge of said scholarship has been spending that money on his mistress.) So here's my first question. If your daughter nay, your only child is getting good enough grades throughout her school years that getting accepted into her choice of college looks like it's actually going to be feasible for her, why aren't you saving any money towards that? Everything I've ever seen that's been about college in the U.S. has emphasized how expensive it is. Come on you live in a nice house, and have always had the option of bringing in more money, as evidenced by the fact that Kate looks into going back to work when she discovers how much money they're going to need. Why didn't you look into going back to work before now? I understand that a lot of parents want to stay home and spend time with their children, but Alex appears to be an intelligent and capable girl. She is in no way dependant or reliant on having her mother home all the time, and if my understanding of teenagers is correct, most of them would be mortified with having their mother home all the time. Kate's not the only one to blame, though, as Scott is simply terrible with numbers. Alright, so math isn't a strong suit for a lot of people, but as the family's only breadwinner, Scott should have taken some responsibility for this problem a long time ago. At the very least, he could have hired an accountant or financial consultant to help him understand what's happening with his family's money. The answer to Scott and Kate's money problems comes in the form of Frank (Jason Mantzoukas), a clearly unstable lunatic who suggests turning his house into an illegal casino. It doesn't take long before things get out of control, and everything goes belly-up in exactly the ways you'd expect. The biggest example of this is when the three catch someone cheating, and end up cutting his finger off with an axe. This earns Scott the nickname of "The Butcher", and Kate somehow winds up as "The Burner". Frank well, he was clearly a psychopath already. The first thing to note here is that the effects are terrible. I've seen intermediate school productions that would handle a severed finger and spurting blood more realistically. As for the attempt to re- attach the finger, that has to be seen to be believed. (Then again, I did see it, and I'm not sure I can believe it.) Scott, Kate, and Frank quickly adopt their new personas, and only Frank manages to pull off anything remotely close to "threatening". Not even a glorified cameo from Jeremy Renner as a mob boss can save this story although the bloopers at least show he seemed to have fun filming it. Yay for him. Then there are the side characters in this monstrosity. The best thing about the movie is when the casino holds an impromptu "fight night", and that's only because it's so damn satisfying to see these idiots beat the tar out of each other. Not a single character is at all endearing, and the only one you have any reason to care about is the one going up against Martha. You thought the (now infamous) "Martha" scene from Batman v Superman was bad? This is worse. Much, much worse. At this point, you might be questioning where the police are in all this. Well, it would appear the town of Fox Meadow has only one police officer, and the only person in the world more inept at their job is currently in the Oval Office. To be fair, Officer Chandler (Rob Huebel) does have his hands somewhat tied by Councilman Bob (Nick Kroll), the most corrupt politician since the one currently residing in the Oval Office. And how does this all end? Yeah, I'm going to spoil it, because this is so bad that I don't recommend anyone see this, and the ending is one of the worst parts. Scott and Kate wind up in the clear (despite having run an illegal casino, chopped a man's finger off, been implicit in burning down a house and in doing so, likely killing a mob boss), Frank gets his wife back (who has been holding the moral high ground all movie, then promptly suggests she and Frank commit insurance fraud), and the councilman's mistress goes back to her husband, while said councilman suffers no other consequence, despite his embezzling. The lesson, then? Do whatever the hell you want, as life has no consequences. At one point, Kate does tell Scott that one of them needs to be the adult, but it's quite clear maturity was not a factor in any of this.

Horrendous

Author: JDono from Des Moines, Iowa
10 July 2017

This is truly the worst movie I've paid to see since "The Ice Pirates" back in the '80s. Will and Amy are two of my favorite comedians, so I can't imagine how they agreed to do a script that had so few laughs in it. A comedy can get away with being implausible if it's also hilarious, but implausible and unfunny is a deadly combination--and the perfect description of "The House."

I Love Will Ferrell- But not THIS!!

Author: Megan Jones from Cardiff
5 July 2017

This was possibly the worst film I have seen in a very long time. Not only were the jokes absolutely terrible the characters were so immature you genuinely didn't know whether they were the parents or the children. Will Ferrell played his typical childlike male figure which is amazing for films like Elf or Step-Brothers but when you need to be acting like a parent? No good. It seemed like Amy Poehler felt the need to then act exactly the same as Ferrell and to be quite frank she was awful! But, I can't blame the actors for all of this god awful movie. It just felt like no one knows how to produce, direct and act in films anymore.

Please don't waste your time.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]