IMDb > Adventures in Babysitting (2016) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Adventures in Babysitting

Adventures in Babysitting (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Don't mess with the babysitters

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
24 June 2016

For its 100 made for TV movie the Disney Channel launched its publicity machine for about six weeks. I'm not sure there wasn't one person within the range of a Disney affiliate in the world that did not know that this remake of the 1987 brat pack comedy Adventures In Babysitting. Nothing beats the Disney publicity machine when they want to push one of their products.

Having said that this was an easy to take teen comedy with Sabrina Carpenter and Sofia Carson as rival babysitters who lose one of their charges when she runs off to the big city alone, the big city here being where the film was shot Vancouver. Carpenter and Carson have to team up though they are poles apart in personality. Carpenter is most uptight, especially where heartthrob Kevin Quinn is concerned. Carson is a free spirit who seems to drift not knowing what she wants out of life.

Carpenter, Carson, and Quinn are Disney Channel regulars and young Max Lloyd-Jones who plays a most hunky police officer shows every signs of becoming a Magic Kingdom mainstay. The film borrows quite liberally from the Home Alone franchise where a bunch of McCauley Culkins outwit a pair of singularly inept crooks who want Carson's camera.

Nothing special here, but Adventures In Babysitting Redux is entertaining enough.

One night, two babysitters, five kids and various adventures!

Author: Reno Rangan from Somewhere in the Cosmos
24 June 2016

Now its Maya's (Sabrina Carpenter) turn after Riley's (Rowan Blanchard) 'Invisible Sister'. I'm referring the two best friends from 'Girl Meets World'. This film saw a delayed release and initially it was said to be a sequel to the 80s film of the same name, but now it stated as an official remake. The basic theme was retained and the rest was modified to the present trend. They aimed for G and/or PG, not anything above that, so they had to give up those risky stuffs from the original, hence became a simple one night adventure.

The 100th film under the Disney channel's belt. I neither liked nor disliked it. It's a mixed feeling to me, but if you had loved the original film, which was for all ages, most certainly you won't enjoy this. This film is for those who had not seen the old version and it specially targeted for the little kids and tween audience. The main issue was the film characters doubled with the two babysitters and their two sets of children to be taken care, which means the adventures drastically shrunk.

There's no innovation and those altered scenes didn't do anything to lift the spirit of the narration. Especially the rap song was a disappointment compared to the 'Babysitting Blues' and also weak negative characters let the film down. But the display from the cast was amazing, if only they had refined story upto 60-70% new ideas, it had a good chance to impress the viewers. Overall, as a television film it did fared decently, but only when compared with the original, it goes stumbling.

Almost on par with the original version

Author: Ddey65 from United States
5 September 2016

Some might find it shocking to believe that it's possible to like both the original movie, and the remake. As the days approaching the release of this DCOM were fading away, I read posts by people who thought this was an attack on their childhood memories of the original, as well as those who were against all remakes no matter what. My childhood was long over when this came out, so that didn't bother me, and even if it wasn't I wouldn't have taken any offense to the remake's existence.

Sabrina Carpenter plays the new version of Chris Parker, named Jenny. She and Lola Perez (Sofia Carson), are artistic photographers competing for an apparently exclusive internship. During this interview both girls bump into each other and get their cell phones mixed-up, in a scene right out of "Stuck in the Suburbs." After they're done, Lola gets a parking ticket (one of many), from a rookie traffic cop who she develops a crush on. Desperate for cash to pay for that ticket, she accepts a babysitting job that was supposed to be offered to Jenny. Lola's charges turn out to be roller derby fan AJ Anderson, would-be pre-teen chef Bobby Anderson, and unknowingly teenage would be rebel Trey Anderson.

Former Miranda Cosgrove look-alike Nikki Hahn plays Emily Cooper, a 14-year-old emo girl who is determined to either shave her hair off or dye it green just to be noticed. She's the complete polar opposite of her 7-year-old sister Katy, who makes Quinn Morgendorffer look like the biggest bull dyke in the Bedford Hills Women's Prison. These two end up with Jenny as their babysitter, and when she calls up Lola's kids to check on her phone just as chaos is breaking out there, she drives the Cooper kids to the Anderson house hoping to intervene.

The runaway here is not frantic nerdy friend Brenda, but semi-cool rebellious teen Trey, who escapes from his room just as Jenny and her charges arrive, and unlike Penelope Ann Miller's character just wants to score some concert tickets. The girls look at his laptop and find out he was getting them from a pawn shop in the "big bad city," and decide to drive off in the GMC Yukon XL owned by the Anderson matriarch. When they arrive at the pawn shop, they find the owner is dealing with a stolen rare Saphire Ferrett, which Bobby Anderson spooks and accidentally lets loose in the store. Lola loves the commotion and takes pictures of the incident leading to a big chase in the city which is compromised by having that SUV towed away. Most of the chases with the bad guys have been compared to "Home Alone," and justifiably so. When they finally arrive at the pizza restaurant Trey loves, Lola talks him into giving away his tickets so she can scalp it and use the money to get Mrs. Anderson's SUV out of the impound. Emily isn't so happy when she finds that Trey and her friends are all ga-ga over Jenny. From this we can conclude that Trey Anderson is a combination of both Keith Coogan's character and Penelope Ann Miller's. After another chase, Lola tries to scalp the tickets but gets caught by the cops. A.J. Anderson's "Thor" is Roller Derby girl "Jailer Swift," and she meets her idol while her team and their rivals get busted for fighting outside of the rink. When they finally let Lola go, and the two roller derby teams get into another fight, the cops send them outside, right into the hands of the crooked pawn shop employees, and another chase begins.

Instead of stumbling into a blues night club and being forced to sing the blues, Jenny is forced to rap at a night club by a DJ, and Emily encourages Lola to turn it into a rap battle. Despite the fact that they both trash each other on stage (although the trashing is nowhere near as fierce as in "Let it Shine"), they actually bond with each other. Between the two of them Sofia Carson is the better dancer. Is it because she's older, taller, and more developed than Sabrina Carpenter? Maybe... or maybe not. Either way, most of the kids are impressed with both of them, except for Emily, who Jenny tries to cheer up before they finally find a way to get the money for the same towing company (albeit different driver), that towed the Anderson's SUV to the impound in this movie, as the one that towed the Buick Electra Estate Station Wagon through Chicago in 1987.

Fans of the original SHOULD see the remake. They should look for every contemporary version of the original scenes, and not just the rap battle between Carpenter and Carson replacing the Albert Collins-Elizabeth Shue concert. None of the girls are mistaken for playboy models, but horny guys will enjoy Sofia Carson in a one-piece bathing suit to make up for it. Nobody gets stuck on the ledge of a building or gets sidelined to the friend zone at least for that long. There's also no "Lords of Hell," to mess with, or any cheating boyfriends. Likewise, kids who would only know of the remake should see the original, if they haven't already. I almost considered listing scene comparisons and contrasts between the two versions as my review, but I changed my mind. Though it's more adventure than comedy, I got a big kick out of it, and I just think purists who are fans of the original shouldn't be dissuaded to see the new version due to a knee-jerk aversion to remakes and give it a break.

100th Disney Channel Original Movie!

Author: oisinmc from ireland
2 July 2016

Disney is celebrating its 100th Disney Original Movie with its recreation of the 1987 movie "Adventures in Babysitting".

The movie does well in its own right but when compared to the original version of the movie the movie falls a little flat. There are little to no innovative choices made by the production team in this version. They do manage to retain some of the 80's humor without seeming too cheesy, but some parts of the movie such as the "baddies" seem to have been pulled straight from the previous century.

The cast is chosen well with the banter between Disney Veterans Sabrina Carpenter and Sofia Carson providing a great few chuckles throughout the movie. The charming child actors/actresses in the movie do great to cause mischief without seeming too cliché.

despite the mediocre script and the outdated "baddies" the movie performs well as a comedy for a TV Movie thanks to the great performance by the cast. 7/10 - Worth a watch

Disney's Modern Retelling of an 80's Classic!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
26 June 2016

As a kid of the 90's, I grew up with the original Adventures in Babysitting. It has become a cult classic to me and I was kinda skeptical when I first saw the trailer for this new version. I watched it on TV, and I really quite enjoyed it. It'll never beat the original, but I thought it was fun and adorable and a decent movie to itself, but with a few references to the original.

The character of Chris Parker is now Jenny Parker, an up-tight by the books teen with a passion for art. Her world soon collides with Lola Perez, a fun loving rule breaking teen who also shares a love for art and photography. During an interview, they accidentally switch cell phones. Lola gets a call on Jenny's phones and says she'll pay double for a babysitter. While babysitting, the house almost catches on fire and one of the kids sneaks out to go see a concert. When Jenny realizes they switched phones, she shows up and takes control of the situation.

Instead of a Playboy with notes about stolen car parts, the kids are soon chased by bad guys because they took a picture of them with a rare Ferret that they stole. The bad guys are really dumbed down, like in the later Home Alone sequels. They chase them all night, which leads into the most iconic scene from the original film (Nobody leaves this place without singing the Blues) However, in this version, it has been upgraded to a babysitting rap battle between Jenny and Lola. Something I always love in movies is when two people start out on the odds with each other, then they slowly become friends as the movie progresses. This one does that pretty well.

If you're expecting it to be a scene-by-scene remake with all the character names as the original, you'll be disappointed, but if you're open minded, you might enjoy it. I would definitely recommend ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING!!!

I've got the babysitting blues...

Author: Toby Richard
21 October 2016

I expected this one to be horrible but still decided to watch it because the original 'Adventures in Babysitting' starring Elisabeth Shue has been one of my favorite '80s comedies for many years. Surprisingly, this new take on the story is not too bad for a Disney Channel remake.

The lead actresses Sabrina Carpenter and Sofia Carson have great on- screen presence and they did try to make something original and not just copy from the classic movie. The filmmakers modernized the story and changed a lot of things like adding new characters and sub-plots, which can be a good thing but is not always a good thing in the case of this movie. Admittedly, a mere remake of the original movie probably wouldn't work today. It just has that certain '80s charm that couldn't be recaptured nowadays. It's a time capsule. So changes and updates were necessary.

Even though this remake tries to be different and modern, it doesn't always succeed. For instance, the fun blues number from the original was replaced with a rather ridiculous hip hop song. I certainly would have preferred to hear the "Babysitting Blues" instead, which was done by blues man Albert Collins in the original movie with Elisabeth Shue singing lead. Sabrina Carpenter certainly has enough charisma to deliver a performance as charming as Elisabeth Shue's. Maybe they could have gotten a contemporary blues rock musician like Jack White to take on Albert Collin's role. That would have been something! Oh well, the blues is probably considered to old-fashioned for the young audience Disney is aiming at.

Being original with a remake is always commendable but they overdid it a bit with 'Adventures in Babysitting.' They shouldn't have dropped or changed some of the most memorable scenes from the original movie that are its heart and soul. They made the movie the classic it is today. This remake can't capture the greatness of the original because you don't even recognize it anymore. Too much was changed. It is still worth a watch, though.

Not as fun as they intend to be

Author: Andrés Rubio
24 August 2016

A typical remake nobody asked for, but in this case doubled up, because in order to make it different, we don't have one babysitter but two of them. But that doesn't mean the movie was going to be twice as funny, actually this version is half as funny as the 1987's Chris Columbus release (no wonder the original one has 77% in Rotten Tomatoes), but even letting aside the original, this is not as watchable as other Disney movies like Descendants or Cloud Nine. But the most awkward thing Disney did to promote this movie was to take poor Sofia Carson and make her wear an impressive one piece swimsuit showing the best legs in Disney Channel's history, when there was absolutely no reason for that. Let's face it: that's the only one good reason to watch this movie. But when Disney tried to recreate one of the highlights of the 1987's version, only achieved to stage the most shameful rap performance ever seen on TV ("We're not quitters / we're the babysitters"). For these reasons, I don't think this remake should have a positive review. But I would like to see more from Sofia in the future, maybe not in Disney but, you know, if have it show it.

Underwhelmed

Author: teenactorfan-539-546159
27 June 2016

I have to admit that I didn't hold real high expectations of this movie from the first time I saw they had done it. I rarely enjoy re-makes of movies. While this movie did give it a new spin kind of, I thought that the script itself really wasn't very good. I gave this movie a 6 out of 10 mostly because the actors in the film did a good job, they just unfortunately didn't have a good script.

I also have to admit that I had to watch the original movie after watching this one, because there were a few things that were in the new one that I didn't remember were in the old one.

I don't like to make negative remarks about stuff, but this movie just wasn't that great. The original was definitely better in my opinion.

nice adventure

Author: rajatshanu64 from India
8 July 2016

that is so so nice movie full of adventure here you will gonna see how the babysitting is difficult maybe that's not gonna happen in real life but movie is about babysitting and that is so good way to show this whole mess with big trouble but every safe. i love this one and really enjoyed so much. that is present by Disney and we all know how popular Disney's stuff. IMDb rating 6.3 i thought this movie belong to 8 rating but that's is user's rating averages so that is OK maybe it will increase. in movie you can seen how jeen ( baby sitter) handling kids he got exchange her phone with another girl so she got in trouble but that is good they do a really good adventure a i love them how they got in trouble and they pass whole thing.