IMDb > Marguerite & Julien (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Marguerite et Julien

Marguerite & Julien More at IMDbPro »Marguerite et Julien (original title)

A French version of Romeo and Juliet and doomed love.

Author: cembalo-91031 from Edmonton, Canada
27 August 2016

This is a beautifully directed movie with excellent acting. I link the anomalous intrusive details like helicopters in a seventeenth century setting with the relative values presented, which are that while incest is not generally speaking a good idea, there can be exceptions. However, executions and beheadings, generally and in this case and similar cases in particular, are simply ugly and insane. Within the context of the movie Marguerite's and Julien's relationship is universally condemned, but even that is to some extent tempered with a kind of faith in the power of love and destiny. The movie's style is romantic, perhaps a little repetitive like a long ballad with refrains, but is certainly in keeping with the subject matter. It could be done another way, of course, but that would be another movie.

A beautiful film though its execution may not be acceptable to everyone

Author: hitomi69 from Hong Kong
25 July 2016

I was so touched by the film, especially by the final 15 minutes when the pair was led off on horseback, riding back to back, to the execution ground for beheading. When their fingers locked, I could not stop my flow of tears. Marguerite was spared the agony of actually being beheaded as she was dead(of heart-break) before that and they only cut off her head as a procedure. But all the same, this show how cruel the world could be against others who did not share their so-called "moral values" though they really did not hurt others.

The DVD I bought had only French subtitles and fortunately, these are easily understandable enough. It would be so much better if they can also give option to select English sub-titles.

Anais Demoustier is superb!

A beautiful and very strange movie

Author: GUENOT PHILIPPE (philippe.guenot@dbmail.com) from France
5 December 2015

First, I don't know where and when exactly the story takes place. It looks like the sixteenth or seventeenth century but, in the same time, we see helicopters and cars. So... The offbeat, curious and authentic case of two lovers, brother and sister, who are deeply attached to each other since their childhood and who have nearly every one against them. Solid acting here with the likes of Anaïs Demoustier and her so cute face, but also with Catherine Mouchet in a supporting role as the house maid so close to the lovers; their only allies. I repeat, that's a true story, that seems taking place - according to the ending credits - in 1603. But I still don't know why the hell we see helicopters...A guy after the show told me this feature was also a tribute to Jacques Demy's PEAU D'ANE. But I warn you, that's a most depressing and downbeat film.

approach with an open mind

Author: kristaz from Phoenix, AZ
19 September 2016

I don't understand why this story is being told to a bunch of young children?! Perhaps in France, stories about a sordid love affair between siblings is completely suitable as a bedtime tale. As an adult, however, I think this (true) story is engaging (pun?). The movie is filmed exquisitely and the actors are convincing in their affections. I did actually enjoy the occasional intrusion of modern devices, such as a 17th century gentleman driving a vehicle filled with hookers when you least expected it. It was neat to see the 17th century juxtaposed with the 21st, and I rather appreciated it as something unique and different. It takes guts to insert creativity that the viewing audience might rebuke, so kudos to the director who went for it. It is not like this movie was tackling the most conventional topic to begin with, so I say, go for it.