IMDb > 90 Minutes in Heaven (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Waste of time

Author: kindredsoul363
12 September 2015

If you were thinking of going to the movies to see 90 Minutes in Heaven, don't bother. I went tonight - boring. Time it began was 4:00 with the preview trailers, so must have started around 4:15. Began with a short summary of what happened 2 days before his accident took maybe 10-15 minutes. Then the accident and from there it was all in the hospitals with him in surgery or just laying in bed. There was only 1 minute where we saw a brief moment of his thoughts where it appeared to be a vision of heaven with people saying "Good to see you" to him, but there was no mention by him in the movie about having seen heaven at all. Through the whole movie there was a child talking and clanging his toys on the chairs and floor. Parent didn't do anything about it. I finally gave up and went out to see what time it was - it was already 5:30 and nothing to indicate any story of his 90 minutes in heaven. I asked for and received a refund.

Should have been called 90 Days of Recovery-90 seconds in heaven

Author: SpiritMechanic from United States
18 September 2015

I don't know what it is about some Christian movies. They just don't get it. Just because you have a catchy title and a theme about 'GOD', the producers seem to think it will be a big hit. Im sorry to say, this movie was completely boring to me. The cast and acting were OK i guess. I think the wife in the movie was kind of cold and unemotional considering the events surrounding her. I was OK until i kept waiting and waiting and waiting for something to happen other than this mans' pity party to be over and from his recovery to be over. He says he saw Jesus at one early point in the movie (complaining to himself) and then complains about being alive and alienating his entire friends and family the other 95% of the movie! Really? Who would do this? By the time the movie is almost over he finally talks about his Heaven experience. Its nothing more than we have heard a million times already. A bunch of people he knew before, standing in front of a big light, an open gate, a relative, and an old friend standing there smiling at him. Thats it! And by the way, the people looked the same as they did here on earth! Of course we will look the same in appearance, but to have an old face with wrinkles and still have your dentures? Come on! It breaks my heart to give this review. I really really really HATE giving bad reviews on Christian movies being a Christian myself but i must say the truth in how i feel. Someone has to tell the truth even if it hurts or seems negative. We need to stop giving Christian movies high ratings just because they are Christian movies. Here's my prediction: Hollywood will say, "Wow! There is money to be made with these Christians! Lets make them ourselves!" They will screw them up with their ignorance. My God, have you seen Noah, or Exodus? Don't get me started... If you want a good Christian movie in theaters, GO SEE WAR ROOM.

Boring To Say The Least

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
6 October 2015

I saw this on my birthday on October 3rd. Was really having high hopes for the movie. But still, as I was really anticipating the movie as a Christian myself.

But when I saw it, really it disappointed me due to the fact. Of being boring and slow. And really was just about to put my father to sleep a couple of times.

As even though you feel bad for the Don Piper character played by an unrecognizable Hayden Christensen.

And the struggles that he had to face in 105 days. And his wife, played by Kate Bosworth trying to struggle as a wife and mom. Holding it together.

With the support of his family and friends at church and the school Eve, Don's wife teaches. He must learn to try to live as he feels like he does not. Until Fred Thompson as a mentor of Don's gives him some tough love.

A few parts were good but it was otherwise a boring movie.

Misguided Attempt

Author: znjiraini from Kenya
6 January 2016

The movie at best, tells the events in the book. In the tradition of adaptations, it skims over events with little depth. The essence of the story, was to encourage Christians about heaven. The movie however is a medical drama, that serves to educate viewers on hospital affairs.

The encounter in heaven, is put at the end of the movie as an after thought. The director choosing to dwell in the emotional scenes featuring the family. The movie has bloopers. The scene where Don advises a young man with fixator, did not involve his family in the audience. Because Don was chaperoning a group of teenagers to an auditorium.

The movie did not inspire or show the motivational stories that resulted from Don telling the world his ordeal.It did not even feature a crisis of faith for Don.

Kate Bosworth keeps her figure while scarfing down McDonald's

Author: blanche-2 from United States
2 April 2016

Don't be fooled by the title. There was nothing heavenly about this film. It's a corny, hokey, clichéd, dull, slow, and an inaccurate melodrama about a young minister, Don Piper (Hayden Christensen) who suffered traumatic injury in a car accident. The paramedics who arrive at the scene cannot find a pulse and leave him unattended awaiting a coroner.

Another minister caught in the resulting traffic jam enters the car and starts praying and singing, at which point he returns to life by joining in the hymn. He has been "dead" for 90 minutes. Now, it has happened that people who are being worked on with a defibrillator, etc., have come back after 90 minutes. But this guy was in a car with plastic over him.

Kate Bosworth plays the minister's wife, Eva, as if she had been heavily sedated. On the other hand, the minister is transferred to a hospital that allows him unlimited access to morphine so he is, in fact, heavily sedated. And about halfway through this 121 minutes of hell, you'll wish you were, too.

Unfortunately, Christensen's character is unlikeable as he slides into self-pity. When fireworks are going on outside, he says in his narration, those are the only fireworks left in our marriage now. He's been flat on his back in intractable pain -- I don't know what he expected.

The character is on an IV for 45 days+. He would have had a PIC line by then. Also, he's given no pain medication while they're trying to stimulate bone growth with a fixator, which is incredibly painful.

One other thing - of course the recovery is very expensive so at one point he is moved to a less expensive hospital. And all the staff becomes black. Low, producers, LOW.

The acting is uniformly bad with the exception of Fred Thompson, who comes off like John Barrymore compared to the rest of them. He offers him a milkshake - McDonald's obviously threw some money at this thing. They're everywhere.

As far as learning anything about the character's NDE, you won't, except for the last minutes of the film. Maybe heaven is worth the wait, but getting to this part of the film is not since you had to go through hell to get there. It's too little, too late.

Epicly awful....

Author: Richard Davis from United Kingdom
23 November 2015

In a short sentence - don't bother.

I viewed this online, and as soon as the credits starting rolling, where it shows that the film was made by a religious film-making organisation, about a man of faith's accident and recovery, and as soon as you hear the religious prayer music on the car radio inside the first minute or so of the film, you just know that this is going to be some Christian-based propaganda in film format.

Don't get me wrong, I AM a Christian, but this film is awful nonsense.

In a nutshell, a deeply religious man suffers a serious car accident, recovers and is pretty damn miserable during all of the recovery. Most of the film is based in the hospital recovery rooms and is mostly conversation based.

The acting is dull and unengaging. I only bothered to watch it at all because of the two leading cast members - I wished I hadn't been sucked in by this.

Apparently the budget was £5m for this? Where did this go? Apparently the Director is Bosworth's husband - did she milk the production fees with the approval of her husband? Is Hayden really proper "box office" enough to swipe most of the production costs in fees? You look at this film, and it really does feel like very average TV movie. In fact, I've seen much better TV movies.

There are a couple of actors that you've seen before in other films like Fred Dalton Thompson and Gregory Allan Williams - but it's not nearly enough to even come close to save this old tat.

Forget it - it's a yawner, and not a good yawner at that. Why, oh why, oh why can't victims of serious accidents and incidents give themselves (and the medical staff that treat them) some credit for having the inner will to live through terrible events and survive?

Mainly a recovery from injury medical drama

Author: phd_travel from United States
29 October 2016

Given that the movie was inspired by a massive best seller, and the cast is fairly watchable, it was rather strange that this movie turned out to be what it was. Makes you wonder if they adapted only part of the book.

A preacher gets injured in a car accident and has a long painful recovery ahead. There isn't much about the afterlife - just a few minutes where he describes seeing relatives in heaven. But it didn't seem to make him deal with his ordeal any better. The main part of the movie seems to be his painful recovery and the awful things they had to do to his leg and arm. Also the financial problems are shown. It's more like a Lifetime drama. Many people criticze Hayden Christensen's acting but I think he was okay here. Wasn't much to go wrong with. Kate Bosworth looks very groomed throughout the ordeal.

not what i thought it would be

Author: missjenniferd from United States
28 August 2016

i'm a very devout Christian, so i like Christian movies. I did not like this one. firstly, i thought it would be about his 90 minutes in heaven.... it wasn't. secondly, there wasn't anything in it about Christianity at all, it was weak, without a message, and didn't reveal anything about heaven, other than he saw people he recognize and that they weren't in any pain..... those of us who are christians have already gathered as much when we read the bible, so i didn't care for this movie at all. it wasn't about heaven, and the storyline was boring. Christian movies that were really good were flywheel, facing the giants, passion of the Christ, god's not dead, jonathan sperry, but this one... i really wanted to like it, but no.

A Dull Movie based on True Events.

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
10 August 2016

A man involved in a horrific car crash is pronounced dead, only to come back to life an hour and a half later, claiming to have seen Heaven. 90 Minutes in Heaven suffers from dull drama the film throws the lines like it's some SNL show there's no emotion there is once in a while but it's not strong enough and except Kate Bosworth who at least tries a lot Hayden Christensen is not the right guy to tell this story he did some research with the movements after the crash so that was good but overall the lines and the story felt forced he isn't as bad as he was in Attack of the Clones but still not great i give it a 6 out of 10 easily the worst from this kind of films Miracles From Heaven is still the best Christian movie so far.

Boring throughout! 3/10

Author: leonblackwood from United Kingdom
15 May 2016

Review: I wasn't really impressed with this movie, because the subject matter was a bit weird and it seemed like it was made for TV. The acting was mediocre from the whole cast but the fact that it was based on true events, made it slightly interesting. Don Piper (Hayden   Christensen) is a happily married family man with 2 small boys, a young girl and a loving wife, Eva (Kate Bosworth), who is a kindergarten teacher. The whole family is heavily into the church and Don is looking to invest in building a new church in the community. While Don is looking for investors to help him in his new adventure, he ends up in a car crash which, temporarily kills him. After being pronounced dead on the spot, a pastor prays over his body and starts to sing to him, and to his surprise, Don starts to sing along with him. Weird but true! Anyway, he finally gets pulled out of the car and is rushed to the hospital were the doctors battle to save his life. With his family by his side Don goes through some gruesome rehabilitation, which questions his faith and makes him wonder, why he was chosen to stay alive after being dead for 90 Minutes. I must admit, I did get quite bored of the whole storyline after a while and I found it slightly creepy. All of the real footage of the family, made the movie feel like a documentary, which I didn't find entertaining. At the end of the day, it's just another bad movie from Hayden Christensen, who has struggled to make a decent movie since playing Darth Vader in Star Wars. Disappointing!

Round-Up: This movie was lucky to break even at the box office, because there are so many people who believe in different religions, who will find this film quite offensive. With that aside, Hayden Christensen and Kate Bosworth could have shown more emotion under those weird circumstances and the ending was pretty poor. Anyway, this film was directed by Michael Polish, 45, who also brought you Twin Falls Idaho, Jackpot, Northfork, the Astronaut Farmer, the Smell of Success, Stay Cool, For Lovers Only, Big Sur, and Unconscious. I personally haven't seen any of his movies before, and if there are anything like this movie, I don't think that I'm missing anything.

Budget: $5million Worldwide Gross: $5million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their dramatic movies starring Hayden Christensen, Kate Bosworth, Michael Harding and Cynthia Barrett. 3/10

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]