IMDb > "Blunt Talk" (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Blunt Talk"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Blunt Talk" More at IMDbPro »

Brilliant

Author: thespiscraeft-84243 from Michigan
22 August 2015

I went into this partially skeptical. I was so pleasantly surprised and immediately addicted. Stewart is brilliant and the casting director equally so. This series is now on our "Do not miss" TV schedule! The writing is chaotically streamlined. What I mean by that is there's a lot going on with the dialogue, but not difficult at all to follow. The acting is... well... Patrick Stewart. He's an actor's idol and all the supporting cast keeps up with him with an energy unsurpassed in almost any other series. That was the fastest half hour I've ever spent and would love to see it expanded to a one-hour show. There was absolutely no moment where I wasn't enthralled.

sit back and have a laugh

Author: bh27976 from North Carolina
9 September 2015

Blunt Talk is so much fun! Not only are the characters lovable yet amusingly flawed, they are articulate, funny and very entertaining. Maybe it's fun to watch them mess-up because we're thinking, "Well, at least I'm not THAT bad!" But forget the analysis, I'm really enjoying watching their antics and can't wait to see what happens next. I like the dialog and the casting very much. I disagree that it's only humorous because Patrick Stewart is playing against type. In my view, his portrayal of Blunt is brilliant, believable and intrinsically funny. I hope Blunt Talk runs a long time; it lightens up my day and puts a smile on my face.

Daily life of Hollywood Patrick Stewart

Author: quincytheodore from Indonesia
6 September 2015

Blunt Talk seems like someone's drunken idea to mix Entourage and Episodes but with Patrick Stewart as the lead. If that's the case, that someone deserves a cookie. It's highly exaggerated, a bit juvenile take on superstar's career and personal life.The series might not hit all the comedic mark and it hinges on the veteran lead, but with enough material packed into thirty minutes episode as well as Stewart's charming performance, it's a respectably enjoyable viewing.

Walter Blunt is a British newscaster who finds an opportunity in Los Angeles, however after years of monotony his show has become stale. Not to mention he has all sort of personal vices that always put him into unsavory situations. Blunt then resorts to silly antics and the help of dubious characters to maintain his talk show.

The show is banking a lot on Patrick Stewart, and with lifetime experience he's fully equipped for even these quirky gags. Script is pretty funny, although it doesn't rise to the level of more polished comedy such as Brooklyn Nine-Nine. This is definitely not an in-depth social commentary about an idol lifestyle, just merry occasionally mindless ride through it. The comedy style works for most part simply because the contrasting nature of the usually composed actors and his exaggerated predicaments here.

It can be a bit crude sometimes, but watching the versatile Patrick Stewart tumbles around the celerity life is a gleeful spectacle.

Well...Patrick Stewart is good, but.....

Author: Rob_Taylor
31 August 2015

... the rest of it...not so much.

The problem with Blunt Talk is that it relies entirely on its humour being the antics of a man whom we wouldn't expect to be doing this sort of thing.

Not that Stewart isn't without comic grace. He manages to be amusing with every scene. However, that really is all the show has in its comedic repertoire - Patrick Stewart clowning around. The lines aren't funny in and of themselves, for the most part. It's only Stewart's delivery, playing against type, that makes them so.

The situations Blunt gets into are ludicrous enough, but that doesn't make them inherently funny. Ask yourself this - if anyone else played Blunt, would this show even raise a smile? I'm not sure that the show has a lot of mileage in it, to be honest. It's been given a two-series order, but honestly, if this is what passes for comedy at the moment, then I think it won't last.

It is nice of Stewart to give this a try, but I'd think a more cerebral comedy would be better suited to his acting ability. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be what people want these days. All we get is bathroom humour, drug and bodily function related jokes and grown adults acting like children.

SUMMARY: Relies too much on Stewart's gravitas for most of the humour. Gets old very quickly. May get better with time.... but I doubt it.

Another Jonathan Ames quality comedy

Author: cornmuffin77 from United States
11 September 2015

I highly recommend this show to anyone who was a fan of Bored to Death on HBO! Jonathan Ames' writing is very apparent, with colorfully troubled characters, awkward over-the-top situations, and the theme of strong friendships all being part of this show, as well.

My favorite character in the series so far is Harry. (Adrian Scarborough should be nominated for an Emmy just from the few episodes I've seen!) I love all the scenes he's in, and the dynamic he has with Walter is great (I feel it's like watching a real life Pooh and Piglet. haha), and totally reminds me of Jason Schwartzman/Ted Danson/Zach Galifianakis'friendship on Bored to Death; despite their extremely flawed personalities/lives they're always there for each other.

I also love that this show features Richard Lewis and Ed Beagley Jr.! Anytime they're on I squeal with joy. haha I also loved the Brent Spiner cameo!! I can't wait to see who else will make an appearance!! :D

And to add to the comment about Blunt Talk being like real life American Dad, it sort of is, but for those who are familiar with Patrick Stewart's character on American Dad (Avery Bullock/Stan's boss), Walter Blunt is a much sweeter/nicer man than Avery. haha He's still got his issues/loves women and substances, but Avery is more harsh and conservative, while Walter is a sensitive blow-hard.

Anyway, I just wanted to leave this short review to counteract the negative ones. haha I can see this show not being for everyone, but I do think if you liked Bored to Death, you'll like this show.

P.G. Wodehouse On Meth & Tinder

Author: LouieInLove
9 September 2015

The 1st episode is a little bit hammy, however, by the 2nd this show really starts to grow all over you.

Think P.G.Wodehouse on meth & tinder, that's the best way I can sum-up Blunt Talk. The show clearly borrows (or blatantly thieves) from the classics, but that doesn't hinder, as the theft has been done with tongue-in-cheek perfection.

There are so many boring 9th rate chop-shop plastic-pretty comedy shows pumped out of the US, so it's simply refreshing for something a bit different to be produced. Patrick Stewart gives us his version of Alan Swann & after the 1st episode, I'm sure Peter O'Toole would approve.

Regardless if this is your type of comedy, kudos must be given for Blunt Talk being different,new & old. Nevertheless, Blunt Talk does have its flaws, for one, the obligatory Jewish reference jokes (which are so over-used in US shows that they've become boring, lazy & verging on creepy) & the bed music, which is really annoying once you notice it (but that may just be me as I was self-medicating with a natural weed type medicine whilst watching).

The show is probably an 8. Well done for trying something a wee bit different.

Broken animals with poetic souls

Author: kofila from Czech Republic
16 November 2015

I do like a good Hollywood bad boy. And Walter Blunt despite his advanced age (still got it though) is one bad bad boy. The show balances the dissolute, decadent and nihilistic view on the world with the kind, sensitive and appealing view on love and personal relationships. With emphasis on the fact that everyone is in their own way broken on the inside. You will enjoy Walter's awkward encounters with the real life as well as his drug fueled insane parties. I would say Blunt talk is what Californication's and Bored to death's love child would be like. I do mean that as a compliment being fan of both "parents". Starz, please, do not cancel!

Genius...

Author: (drinkdrunkthedifferenceisu@hotmail.com) from Australia
17 February 2016

For me this is a very rare 10 and an even rarer review. I should disclose to begin with that I have a pretty weighty man-crush on Jonathan Ames, the creator of the show. His memoirs, fiction, and TV work all have the same vibe of sweetly honest strangeness, and I find them all disarming and hilarious. He's a weird guy, but he's not ashamed or proud of it, he just presents it as is, and the result could maybe be described as absurdist realism? There's nothing fantastical about the world or the characters, but everything's just slightly off-kilter so that there's a vague surrealism pervading everything. (A comparison could be made with Miranda July's stuff.) But the human relations and emotions are completely real, and they manage to steer clear of mawkishness even though your heart's always feeling snug and warm by the end of an episode. You haven't laughed at anyone's expense, you've just laughed at humans being humans and trying to connect, and you switch the TV off and go to bed with a smile. This is my favourite of all Jonathan Ames' creations, I think. (Or is it only because I just now finished the first season? Maybe I'll go back and have another look at Bored to Death, just to make sure…)

"South Park" grown up!

Author: Mike Bear from New York, United States of America
19 October 2015

Just watched the 9th episode of the "Blunt Talk" (2015). Well, it is funny, silly and sometimes egoistic, but I like it. It is not a perfect or the funniest thing that I ever watched, but it is well done and contain a lot of sarcasm, satiric.

This TV Show a little bit unusual compare to others, Why?! Firstly, contain a hot news that people discuss right now (transgender people, multicultural marriages, foibles, text communication, even about restrooms that nowadays full of electronics). Secondly, because you will realized (not from beginning) that this TV Show, is "South Park" for our parents. No, seriously for open minded parents (who knew Woodstock, listened Jimmy Hedrick's, watched Jon Stewart) will understand this jokes and would not think "Ugh....what a stupid cartoon"! Finally, in this TV Show they mixed generations. Young and Adult people, so we can see how they acting and how reacting in some situations or dealing with some problems.

In my opinion, it is really good TV Show. I wish/hope that it will became "South Park" for adult and older generation! This TV Show contain amazing, astonishing and enormous potential!

I wish this could find an audience

Author: jdollak from United States
21 December 2016

I remember when I watched the first episode, I thought it was amusing, but sort of confusing. I wasn't entirely sure what kind of show I was watching. Gradually, that feeling goes away, and it's replaced with a strange affinity for these characters.

It's hard to say that each episode is plot driven. There's usually some sort of story going on, but the real charm is in the dialogue and the characters. There is a larger story, one that builds very slowly, but for the most part, these are characters that are self-focused, and their own issues tend to distract them from other things.

But that raises the other, more important point. For all of the peculiarities these characters have, and their broadly inappropriate behavior, there's something sort of beautiful about how they completely accept each other. The characters genuinely like each other. In fact, none of the characters seem to dislike other ones.

This approach makes scenarios that normally would feel like cringe comedy in other hands feel... sort of nice.

It's a shame it's been canceled after two seasons.

But I completely understand. Whenever I've tried to explain the appeal to other people, I find it hard to explain the premise.