IMDb > "Mr. Robot" (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mr. Robot"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Mr. Robot" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 39:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Hope it stays the same

Author: Andy Hainrich from Kilkenny, Ireland
27 May 2015

Wow, I started watching first episode and was skeptical. Those type of shows about hackers and conspiracy are not my favorite. But I loved the first episode, it is well done, acting is amazing however it seems to be going too fast. It seems they have too many ideas and only show us a little bit. The first episode had just over an hour, yet so much happened in it that it could easily be split into 2-3 episodes. But at least it is not boring. It also seems real. And they use command tool for hacking, not one of those super spy CIA graphical interface that you just have to press "HACK" and you are hacker .. oh how I hate those. I am not saying this is the way hacking works, but it does seem closer to the real thing more than dumb Hollywood movies. I watch many TV shows and this one really got my attention. Highly recommended.

Quite Possibly the Best Pilot I Have Ever Seen

Author: MichaelALewis from United States
4 June 2015

The pilot episode of this series shows great promise. At the risk of failing to appeal to the modern television viewer who has become accustomed to shows lacking true substance, it will most certainly captivate a core audience of viewers who feel alienated by the typical programming of the modern day. The narrative touches on topics like social and digital revolution through the thoughts of the protagonist as he narrates the episode. The status quo of modern social behavior, consumerism, and corporate greed prevailing by virtue of the complacency amongst the proletariat is a core issue that both the show and protagonist address with great disdain. It ironically begs the question that if our complacency with the quality of consumer items––such as substandard television programming––is so entrenched in our society, when we are finally greeted with an oasis of the kind of talented artistic expression that this show offers devoid of being dumbed-down or hollowed out in effort to appeal to a wider audience, will we be able to transcend our usual tastes, or will the level of real, thought-provoking narratives lead a disinterest among the typical armchair audience and eventually the show's demise?

Much like other successful programs such as "The Big Bang Theory" and "House", that received a large following despite some very technical aspects of the dialogue that tend go over-the-head of the majority of their viewers, Mr. Robot followed suit and still holds true to it's core audience by fact-checking its more technical content and preserving its validity.

Most films or programs with a hacker or computer science theme tend to overplay the "coolness" of what is shown when it comes something as dry as computer code by representing the digital world as it it were a fantasy, in lieu of the more accurate yet bland, plain-text unix coding on a computer screen. I was surprised and also relieved to see the actual computer science portions of the episode be accurate representations of a real-life scenario down the very character. As with other successful programs with story lines derived from complex subject matter (like medicine or theoretical physics), the amount of technical dialogue is not so much that it will bore the majority of the audience who will not understand it, but just enough that it will captivate and perhaps even educate them slightly as they are offered a glimpse into a fascinating world whose power and influence they wouldn't otherwise comprehend.

My hope is that USA––the network on which the show will air––will recognize that they have struck gold, and not run scared if viewership starts off slow. Most shows of this caliber do not take off will a large audience, but rather begin to amass a strong cult following and later become a huge hit.

We saw this kind of skepticism among network executives with Breaking Bad. Much like the idea of a school teacher cooking meth to pay his medical bills, a computer nerd with a social disorder and possible schizophrenia working for a network security firm by day and playing social hacktivist by night is not something that immediately screams "blockbuster".

It's my hope that the timing of this show will prove to be its greatest strength in light of recent events in the hacking and cybersecurity world involving Anonymous, Edward Snowden, Julian Assange, Ross Ulbricht, and Aaron Swartz. Viewers are educated now more than ever when it comes to hacking and the impact that individuals can make on society through their "hacktivist" work.

The protagonist of Mr. Robot is similar in many ways to these individuals, and the plausibility of his disposition is validated by their individual plights. Where they have fallen short of their ultimate goals and failed to elude capture, the audience will root for their new favorite anti-hero since Walter White to incite a social revolution through his hacktivist work. Whether he succeeds or is met with the same demise is up to the writers who have crafted this brilliant first episode.

Novel

Author: Chris Adkins from Sweden
28 May 2015

Going in with low expectation, not knowing anything about this show, the pilot turned out to offer a pleasant surprise. In short, the show is a bit unconventional, like a mix between an audio book and a TV show, but one rather well researched and executed.

The acting is fairly good, the narrative style felt novel and fresh, and there's ample room for various subplots and story lines. The setting also felt real, as others have pointed out. Some interesting creative decisions were made, such as blatantly spelling out the antagonist, a company, by giving it an unmistakable name. It also makes subtle jokes and pokes fun of things probably only people in the IT industry would recognize.

Whereas most shows and movies seem to throw all connection to reality straight out the window when it comes to IT related stuff, this show does not. In fact, it seems extraordinarily well researched for an entertainment piece. Being in that industry myself and having had a bit of "fun" as a youth, I'd have to say that overall the portrayal of IT security and hacking in this show is leaps and bounds more accurate than anything that has come before it, even if the attentive viewer would be able to spot some minute factual errors.

Perchance even entertainment execs have realized they can no longer get away with silly and unbelievable things like "magic picture enhance", nerdy super hackers who as through divine insight guess their targets passwords in 1-2 attempts, or with peddling notions of tools that have weeks of artist design effort spent on them, for buttons that once clicked, reveal some information that would logically be impossible to get hold of through the channel used.

It seems as though we finally have a show that doesn't treat its audience as idiots, and where the writers actually spent some time doing their homework. I'm just concerned that the show may be targeting too small an audience, an audience consisting of people who do not switch their brains off when they turn on the tele, and as such it may not be awarded a series contract.

So far, highly recommended to tune into if you're interested in seeing something fresh and aren't allergic to narration (getting inside the mind of a somewhat odd protagonist), as there's quite lot of the latter.

Mr. Robot leaves me excited and full of promise.

Author: redwingsm from United States
30 May 2015

Did USA really just do this? They have managed to give me a combination of the best parts of Swordfish AND Fight Club and managed to make it coherent, suspenseful and a joy to watch. And Christian Slater gives yet another go at TV-Land and may have finally hit the mark!

The premise: A young man working at a security firm by day, and an elite hacker vigilante by night.

Sounds like it would be a bore-fest full of misplaced techno jargon, dry suspense (remember BlackHat?) and poor acting, right? Wrong! Not only was I amazed at how the story was presented, but I fell in love with the main cast with some spot on character development, GOOD use of technological aspects of hacking and a great use of voice over.

Color me impressed! I am a computer geek by trade and they hit the nail on the head with almost every aspect of security and defense without making grievous errors (think The Net & the worst aspects of Swordfish). This is a must see for geeks of all ages and even hits the mark for those not so tech savvy.

While the show is littered with clichés, they are all so well done and accurate that I could not find this an actual fault with the show. Try as I might, I could not find any glaring faults with the dialog, character development or even the subtle "Big Brother" aspects that they were going for.

This is a MUST continue for USA and I will be ecstatic if it gets picked up and more episodes are made (at the time of this review it appears only 1 episode has been made). Kudos for USA for taking a risk!

To sum it up; if you are a tech savvy user of the internet, smart phones or computers this is an absolute MUST see. Even for those of you not so tech savvy please give this a go!

Terrific Pilot Episode . . . and then the plane crashed. Sad.

Author: m_lecarre from United States
27 May 2015

I reviewed the pilot episode and gave it a high ranking. I looked forward to the next episode ... it was so-so. Waited for the next ... oh dear, what a dysfunctional mess. The main character, who 'seemed' so interesting in the pilot, has degenerated into little more than a shallow child and the other characters in the show are little more than window dressing and as undeveloped as the main character. A show with great potential sadly wasted on a clichéd hum-drum who cares anyway story. I am left wondering why, when there are so many interesting and stimulating places to which scriptwriters can take an audience, they choose depressing life-scenarios and self-obsessed pseudo-intellectual ghetto types as their subject of choice. Pointless and boring. Rated at 2 and I'm being kind.

Just enough Grit

Author: TheLimeyCritic from United States
29 May 2015

Though Christian Slater's previous tech-geared TV drama flopped without notice, this new effort has just enough grit to keep people interested. The main character, not Christian Slater, could be one reason for a positive shift. Elliot, played by Rami Malik, pulls off the beady eyed grayhat fairly well, and riffs of "Fight Club", "The Matrix", and "Hackers" all coexist to compose a decent melody of scenes. For me, it appealed to the cyberpunk bookworm and anime watcher of old who spent decades in a barely fed genre.

Yes, the technical aspect of hacking is dumbed down quite a bit, but you won't see giant pacmans eating pixels on the screen or progress bars labeled "VIRUS" either. Social engineering is given equal weight as well, which is a welcome area of focus. Hopefully the writing team and creative directors develop plots and characters in a non-linear fashion, and don't begin to rinse and repeat the show into yet another formula driven cash-cow.

I look forward to the future of this series, with fingers crossed.

Bravo

Author: sandowl from in the ether
29 May 2015

I wanted to write a 2 sentence review; 'Bravo! More please...' However IMDb doesn't allow for that and neither does it let me place the spacing as I would like, between my lines of commentary and review, which is rather frustrating IMDb.

This looks really promising. It's intelligent (thank the Gods. Yes!), absorbing, interesting and different to the usual garbage trotted out by the truck load to invade our space every minute of the day. (How many times can you watch a person cook food, or 'be themselves' on a 'reality' show, or renovate a dwelling/building? It's inane and mind-numbing stuff).

The main character, Elliot, reminds me of a couple of Aspie friends I have. I'm not sure if the writers were going for that in any way, yet it's the closest portrayal of a person with such idiosyncrasies I have seen on television. The young man playing Elliot is fantastic in the role. Very subtle and natural which lends to believability in the character.

There's a television in my lounge-room which spends its time gathering dust. This is one reason to use it.

exciting

Author: wimvdwerf from Netherlands
29 May 2015

This is a show worthwhile watching. A series about hacking, but not the usual whiz kids. That helps a lot. The first period was already an eye opener and the characters are as real as they can get. The protagonist has personality problems, which makes him the more acceptable. He knows his way computer systems and is able to dig up all kind of information on others. And how is does is very believable.

I won't go into details in order not to spoil it for other viewers, but I can really recommend it and suggest you lean back and pay very good attention.

It is certainly not your run of the mill sitcom and requires your attention from the beginning till the end.

From really good to really stupid

Author: masonikryt
12 July 2015

***This contains spoilers*** ***look away now of you don't want spoilers***

The pilot was really good. Built interesting characters with a "requiem for a dream" feel , but for tech geeks. The 2nd episode was OK, still seemed legit , some of the characters had broken a bit but there was still a lot to work with . 3rd episode .. seriously .. what the hell. A complete break down of rationality got me thinking if the screen writers were snarfing morphine themselves. Mr robot turns out to be such a cheese. As for the explicit explicit scenes .. my god , just why?!?! From a tech head based story into the dribble of hedonism , self loathing crap where you just not sure which character you dislike the most. There are so many holes in the story that is literally seems like the people who wrote the pilot are not working on this anymore. As for how a senior at a security tech firm gets flawed by one of the most basic hacks is completely beyond me. Are they not using all safe on their personal computers? Good enough for the the "evil" company but not them. What does he even do at the company?!?! Its been a long time were i have actually gotten so frustrated watching a show. I was so keen for this series as well .

Heavy-handed, laughable, derivative crap

Author: MorganRand from USA
12 July 2015

The creator seems to have ripped off huge chunks of ideas from the plots of The Matrix and Fight Club (with the Marxist BS cranked up to 11), smushed them together, and populated the world with nothing but cardboard characters and scene after scene of clichés.

This show has the sensibilities of a comic book; smirking young hipsters rule the world. Everyone over 30 is an idiot and plot holes abound in the pilot alone. Among other things, I learned that if you ever want to know where a taxi is going, just call the cab company and say you left your keys in it. They'll totally tell you the car's next destination with no questions asked (as if that would help you get your keys). It's great for stalking and plot convenience.

The buzz on this is empty hype. This is an utterly insipid show.

Oh, and the main character's pupils are always gigantic. He looks like he's tripping balls.

Page 1 of 39:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]