IMDb > Free Fire (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Free Fire

Free Fire More at IMDbPro »

One hell of a bang at TIFF

Author: GODZILLA_Alpha_Predator from Canada
9 September 2016

Boston, 1973. Members of the IRA and an arms dealer come to an abandoned warehouse to make a deal to buy some machine guns. Everything is supposed to go smoothly until one member from the one group draws out a gun and shoots the other because of a previous incident. And all hell breaks.

Ben Wheatley's previous film, High Rise, I was not a fan of. High Rise felt too disturbing with heavy-handed messaging while lacking a coherent plot. Free Fire is by far a major improvement with hilarious dialogue, fun and well-written characters and non-stop action. I saw the movie at TIFF today and was pleasantly surprised. Wheatley turns this empty warehouse into a war zone with each of these character taking cover behind various objects and firing blindly. Unlike a lot of generic action movies where characters seem to magically dodge bullets, no one is safe and everyone eventually gets scraped or hit by bullets. This leads to some fun sequences of characters crawling on the ground to get from one cover to the next.

Surprisingly the two standouts are Cillian Murphy and Armie Hammer. Both were surprisingly funny in subtle ways. Sharlto Copley once again plays another weird but yet still hilarious and fun character. I also give strong shout-outs to Sam Riley and Jack Reynor. And Brie Larson is bad-ass as she holds her own weight against her male co- stars.

If I can say one negative it's that this isn't a movie with a lot of depth. It's not flat but don't expect this to be too much of a complex film. It is just simply about the these 2 trigger-happy groups trying either to kill or survive. It is more of a black comedy/thriller.

Free Fire is definitely one of the most fun and exciting action movies you will see so it is definitely worth a shot to watch once it releases in theatres.

Exhilarating Mexican stand-off between characters whose aim is worse than that of the stormtroopers

Author: StoneColdSober from Ljubljana, Slovenia
6 December 2016

The first three shots from the rifles echoed throughout the cinema hall, startling everyone on our seats. It was loud. Very loud. A raw sound you don't hear daily, carving its spot behind your eye sockets, making you momentarily close your eyes. Just when the echo died out, another burst of 10 shots followed before we could prepare ourselves for it. It was deafening, exhilarating and it made us starve for more. And the film provided.

At first, keeping track of who was in the right for shooting and who was not, was easy. But the more the characters shot at each other, the worse the situation got and the motives got blurred. Even one of the characters reflected on this in the middle of the film with: "I forgot whose side I'm on!". This intentional chaos is seasoned with occasional black humour and witty exchanges between the characters, which provides comic relief and some time for the viewers to take a breath between the showers of bullets.

"Free Fire" is a 90 minutes long Mexican stand-off between characters whose aim is worse than that of the "Star Wars"' Stormtroopers. However, if all of them had great aim, the film would be over in less than 10 minutes. With its prolonged, intense action, the film makes sure we got what we paid for. Guilty pleasure in watching cheap entertainment.