"Shadowhunters"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments" More at IMDbPro »"Shadowhunters" (original title)

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I had low expectations anyways. Suddenly liking the movie more and more

Author: samibaugh from United States
13 January 2016

If you've read the book there aren't any spoilers. There is nothing specific.

I find it hard to blame the actors for this poorly written script. The most obvious problem is that there were amateur actors playing pretty difficult roles. As a bookworm, I am accustomed to not being happy with movies based on YA books.

"Shadowhunters" is no exception. They did not choose characters well, besides their lack of talent there are certain characters whose personalities are key to character development and the bond that forms between characters and audience is just not here.

Jace was not portrayed well in this show, we don't see any of his "wounded, mysterious, arrogant" self other than people saying he's that way. Once. I've always pictured Jace somewhere between Jamie Campell Bower and Dominic Sherwood. So at least they got a little closer.

I didn't even know Luke was who he was because I was looking for a curly haired, middle aged, dorky guy. Isabel was unbelievably slutty and Alec was barely there. Hodge was a disappointment all around. Almost as disappointing as the Institute was. One of the top five most important parts of the book is that there aren't very many Shadow Hunters left. In the show, they're everywhere.

I think the movie had a better idea by making Clary more relatable. In the show she goes from "I'm so confused" to "Oh it's okay they're just helping" in one scene. We don't ever see her struggling with the idea that her mom lied to her or that she's scared that there are demons everywhere.

I noticed that because of the actor's lack of talent they didn't allow close up shots very often. My favorite part of watching a movie is seeing an actors face shift so that we can literally watch the character's internal struggle. They don't ever do this. They didn't play with shadows or lighting or color. Which doesn't take a lot of money to do. Just skill.

Delivery lacking

Author: Michael Wood from United Kingdom
13 January 2016

After the wife and I saw the movie we were disappointed to find out they weren't going to make the next in the series for the big screen. Our woe was turned to hope when we learned that it would instead be turned into a TV series. Sadly the good news stopped there. The sets look good and the story seems to be staying loyal to the book (for the most part), but the major downfall is both the acting and the special effects. The acting seems like that of your average high school drama class, lines that need pauses between them are blurted out quickly and with sloppy delivery, even the body language is lacking in any real commitment. While some of the fight scenes look good for the most part the entire feel of the acting, fighting and effects can be easily summed up as power rangers. To touch quickly on the effects, while TV shows have much smaller budgets than feature length movies I feel some effects should have been left out in favour of old school tricks rather than cheap looking garbage. By far the worst part was seeing the Shadowhunters tech, mixing high tech gadgets with this magical world feels like Bilbo Baggins texting Gandalf for advice.

If even just the acting improves this show could really impress but for now it's underwhelming to frustrating

just give it a go.

Author: alicia perry
17 February 2016

Give this show a chance. Just do it. People are complaining that the first episode was crap. I hope people realize that for some of the cast this is their major big break. Besides, it gets so much better! I'm sick of all the reviews that were published right after the first episode was released and people are listening to it as they think that is for the entire show when it is not. So, do the people who actually have waited for this show since March and are actually enjoying it, and don't spread negative hate around social media and whatnot because I surely am not the only one to see the show expand and explore. Not saying everyone has to like it, but please don't brainwash other people into thinking it is bad when it's not. Feel free to disagree with me, I only made this account to post this review, ha ha.

The movie sucked and so did the first episodes as well.

Author: Eerien Shieldie from Norway
13 January 2016

Bad acting and even worse choreography, loads of cliché moments. All the cringing i did made me my abs sore. Watch one episode and you'll see what i'm talking about. And those dumb looking "lightsaber" swords, i mean really? REALLY? All of these new shows being vomited out these days... Quality over quantity! Most of you will probably find this "review" very harsh, but i have had enough of these half ass'd shows popping up everywhere. I crave fantasy and adventure, if you're like me i'd recommend finding something else to escape from reality with. Send me a message if you'd like to discover other shows within the same genre, i'd be happy to help anyone out.

I'm out!

Groan

Author: JustGotToSayIt from Canada
13 January 2016

Another adolescent fantasy tripe. Seriously, who keeps thinking it's a good idea to make these. Throw a bunch of teens dressed in tight clothes into a pot, add some demons and superpowers, and then layer it with a bunch of cheesy dialogue to explain what's going on. Sooooo tiresome. At no time will you ever believe they are in any danger, or any emotions they are conveying is real, or that they themselves believe a single word that is coming out of their mouths.

This story of demon hunters protecting normal people (mundanes) as their mission but the whole time they show nothing but contempt for normal humans. It's just bad writing. The story is contrived, the relationships are shallow, and it is just dull, lacking anything that is remotely original. This show should just stay in the shadows and fade away.

People are being too ridiculous and harsh.

Author: stevetrowbridge98 from United States
13 January 2016

I enjoyed the pilot, despite the changes I really liked the pilot. So many other people are complaining about changes made to the TV show but guess what? They said ahead that there were going to be changes so many other people should have anticipated these changes. And apparently they did not, even though they claim otherwise. Yes, spoiler alert, they did change Clary's age, Luke's occupation and other minor stuff like that. Plus they have to make changes to appeal to everybody, not just book readers which I am. So really most of the changes are small, it's still following the same storyline so I think people need to chill out and realize that there were going to be changes anyway. And people are also complaining about the acting. Look, I'll be the first to admit that no one is going to win any Oscars or golden globes here but let's remember that about 60% of the cast is not very experienced. They are extremely new actors and it does show but I would not call it horrible, maybe shaky at some parts but overall I thought it was decent and I've seen much worse before believe me. And now for my final complaint: the ignorant people that are comparing this to twilight, calling it another twilight, and someone even saying that it was twilight fan fiction??? First of all TMI is WAY different from twilight, don't know where these certain people are getting that from. Second of all, I believe that TMI is WAY better than freaking Twilight. What, it's similar because it has romance in it and because there are vampires in it? Oh okay so every book, movie, or TV show that has romance and vampires is a twilight ripoff right? Get out of here with that. The vampires here DO NOT sparkle, in fact they burn if the sun touches them, and the romance? It's way more fleshed out and way more organic that the twilight romance, I can tell you that. So really I think people need to calm down and accept the changes. Plus, this is a pilot people, pilots are not always the best, sometimes they aren't very good and even though I thought the pilot was decent that still may have been the case here. Give the show a shot, don't just give up after the first episode because it could very well get better as the actors will have time to grow into their characters and maybe all of the people moaning and complaining will adapt to the changes. Believe me I HATE when I read a book that I really like and the adaption is no where near like the book but I don't feel like they changed so much here to warrant so much complaining.

Don't let negative reviews persuade you

Author: xxteamdamonsxx
16 February 2016

Don't let the negative reviews on this show persuade you not to watch it. May of the people that have watched Shadowhunters and disliked it didn't do their research before the show came out. The directors and creators said many times you had to come to this show with an opened mind. The show is slightly different than the books because they creators wanted it to be fresh and for the book readers not to know everything that is going to happen. I'd recommend reading the first book before you watch the show to freshen your mind or while you watch the show because there are many things that you don't notice in the book that they bring up in the show. I's better for you to see what the show is about yourself then to see it through what others tell you. Stay opened minded, distance yourself from the books, and don't be quick to judge from the first episode, the show gets better after each episode.

Don't give up. This is a great adaptation.

Author: gustafsonlori from United States
17 January 2016

When I saw the previews I was nervous it would be like the deplorable movie. I am a huge fan of the series.It makes sense to keep it a series instead of trying to make movies of all the movies. I will be interested to see how they will follow the books. Will each season be a single book? Will they combine books. Either way, I'm excited to keep watching. The casting in the movie was horrible. Magnus was a joke. The casting for the series is spot on. I'm pretty picky when it comes to casting. I am disappointed with the institute as others have stated. I enjoyed Simon and Jace's humor. I find the use of the different weapons interesting and didn't think the effects were cheesy. Please please remember that it is very difficult to make an adaptation of a book into a movie or series. We were spoiled with Harry Potter and the Hunger Games. I'm definitely going to keep watching.

Cringetown

Author: Nadeera Anwar from Kuala Lumpur
16 January 2016

I'm not exactly the best critic who spots a terrible actor or bad shot from miles away. Usually, I'm quite an unfussy viewer. Or at least I'd like to think so.

Nevertheless, I do get pretty fussy when someone's taking on one of my favourite series of books and after watching the film and the pilot of the show, I just decided that this series just looks way better in a readers head than on screen. That, or it'll take a seriously talented team of people to give justice to every single aspect of this concept.

If you thought the film was bad, then don't even watch the show because it's like a supermarket brand version of your favourite cereal. Horrible. Now I understand you can't 100% keep the books and that's not the problem here. The major issues with Shadowhunters was that its basic foundation, which would be the cast and the writing was utterly horrible. Actors were all stiff, unable to convey the depth the characters had at all. They all mainly looked like Ken and Barbies given wigs. I have no issues with attractive people but they just... didn't feel right for the role. For example, Simon is this geeky mousey sort of character and what we got was basically a hot guy with amazing cheekbones (hello papi) given a pair of 'geeky glasses'. Jace who is that chip on the shoulder guy with sarcasm as a self-defense mechanism trope just... didn't come across. His deliveries were so dry and bland, not in a good way.

The only notable two actors whom I found to be great on screen was the guy who played Luke and Valentine. I know Alan van Sprang who plays Valentine also played King Henry in Reign so we know he can get into the crazy of the character. Other than these two, the rest of the cast is an absolute bummer.

The writing? Don't get me started. You can't even blame the actors when even the script was bad.

Then there was that bit of the headquatres being filled with people like it was the M16... which is collaterally incorrect to the plot. The only reason Valentine wanted the Mortal Cup was so he could make more Shadowhunters out of people. Now why would he bother making more when it looks like they're tons of them in the headquatres? While I can understand and accept changes to the plot, this change just doesn't make sense.

Suddenly, I feel like we should give the movie a lot more credit. It was done a lot more aesthetically pleasing, with better actors, with better writing. In fact, I didn't even hate the movie as a lot of people did. Sure, it didn't came 100% amazing but I was grateful for all the visuals after re-reading City of Bones at least 5 times. As a fan, I'm fine. Even disappointed that it didn't get continued but alas.

So yeah, it's a big no from me -- especially if you're someone who constantly treats oneself with good television and film. You'd notice how terrible it is within the first five minutes.

Do the actors get paid for this?

Author: bans_004 from India
13 January 2016

I had been looking forward to this for a while. After realizing the movie series might not have received a second go.

Unfortunately, it seemed like something that a group of friends with a camera would come up with. Most of the time they would've come up with something better! Cheap props, incoherent background music and miserable acting just ruined the mood of the show. As if it were hard to afford something better than plastic swords and school-goers for actors. The drawbacks are bared specially during the actions or with the effects.

The (only?) positive would be the screen writing for now. Would give it a shot with a few more episodes. Really hope they redeem the show.

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]