IMDb > Keanu (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Keanu

Keanu More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Hilarious take on traditional action/comedy.

Author: cadillac20 from Culver City, California
22 April 2016

Key and Peele have established themselves with their show as two of the leaders of small screen comedy. Their brand of comedy pokes fun at stereotypes and generic film tropes, with heavy influences from the cinema world. Their skits are often cinematic and ridiculous, but in the best kinds of way. Now, they carry that over to an actual movie and the results are often times hilarious. While not always successful, when they are, Keanu is laugh out loud funny. With huge influences from traditional cinema, ranging from romantic comedy to 80's action, Keanu covers a range of genres, providing that same ridiculous kind of comedy fans are used to.

The film kicks off with a bang, delivering a stylish opening action scene that introduces us to the titular Keanu, a cute-beyond-words kitten that you immediately fall in love with. We're then introduced to our dynamic duo, Rell, a man-child lacking direction in his life who has recently lost his girlfriend, and Clarence, the straight arrow of the two who is happily married, but is so caught up in trying to please everyone else, he never takes time for himself. Once Keanu enters the picture, the two find themselves spiraling downward into a world of gang warfare, crime, and mistaken identity, all in pursuit of retrieving the adorable little Keanu.

If you've seen Key & Peele, the humor here will feel familiar. Working under the show's director, Peter Atencio, and with Peele in the writer's seat, all have a firm grasp of how to craft cinema and then skewer it. Both characters constantly feel out of place while at the same time handling themselves well, and much of the comedy comes from both the familiar fish out of water story and some surprises. What helps is that the film never really feels forced. Our heroes never feel too unnatural in their actions, though it is slightly mystifying that they are continuously believed to be tougher than they actually are. The action is well done too, with it feeling like it wouldn't be out of place in an action movie. And Keanu replacing what would be a person in distress makes for a hilarious spoof on traditional damsel- in-distress type tropes. Our villains also fare well, with one particular hilarious scene seeing Clarence bond with other gangsters over George Michael music.

As stated above, not every joke works, with several falling flat or getting little more than a chuckle, but more often than not the movie knows when to end a joke or just what to do to surprise or make the audience laugh. It also helps to know movies well to catch several of the references or tropes. Where the film could have made many missteps, it makes wise decisions in terms of balancing comedy, action, and drama and knows when it's comedy may be going too far and for too long. I often wondered if Key and Peele would take their comedy to the film world, as they have always clearly loved movies, and now that they've finally done so, they have delivered. Not a perfect comedy, but a very funny one and shows that the two have promise for a future in the cinema world. It's my hope that Keanu is just the beginning for these two.

Cute cat but not much more.

Author: Quietb-1 from United States
21 May 2016

it is always difficult to combine excessive violence and comedy and come out with something that works. Here is another example of why it doesn't work. There is nothing funny about murders and gangs shooting it out.

The cat who never grows past being a kitten is the highlight of the movie. It is watchable when there is a cute cat on screen. Most of the other stuff you have seen before. There's the club, the drugs and the salty redundant language.

There is no need to pay to see this in a theater. It will play just as mediocre on a home platform. A cat might have nine lives. Unless you have time to spare, no need to waste it on this one.

Has its moments but not enough for me.

Author: Chris Ober from United States
1 May 2016

I am a huge fan of Key and Peele. Their show was my whole existence and I still go around doing the "I said biiiitch" skit everywhere I go. So with this, I was expecting a good bit of laughs to come of 'Keanu' but I was left a little disappointed. 'Keanu' was not a total fail, it had its moments, in my opinion, but to me it felt like an overly drawn out K&P skit on their show. Mostly a third season skit at that. Key and Peele themselves were naturally hilarious as usual. Their deliverance is perfect it was just the material was beaten to death to me. Overall, not terrible but not great. Just an average comedy from excellent comedians.... The cat was cute though.

Brilliantly Stupid

Author: Thomas Drufke
29 April 2016

Who hasn't been waiting for Key and Peele to put out a movie together? 'Key and Peele' was one of the best sketch comedy shows of recent memory. Their dynamic on screen is always must watch television and so we were all waiting to see how it would translate to the big screen. For the most part, Keanu works. It does a good job of incorporating the same humor from their show into the film. I just wish they pushed it even further. There are plenty of laugh out loud moments, but the plot of Keanu falls back into clichéd territory far too often.

It's largely a spoof of action films in the same vein as the avidly popular Jump Street films. Instead of going undercover to take down drug dealers, the duo played by Key and Peele, pretend they are drug dealers to win back the kitten that was taken from them. But besides that, the plot unravels exactly as you would expect. You could make the argument that it's not even necessarily a full on spoof, especially with its attempt at drama quite a few times throughout the film.

With that said, when the laughs hit, they hit hard. There's something about the quick witted banter between Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele that it becomes addicting to watch after a while. I just feel they could have taken it a step further. The runtime feels a little long in the tooth too, especially towards the climax.

The supporting cast is okay, with a few surprises here and there, but the real hero here is Keanu the kitten. It isn't named Keanu by accident, and I enjoyed how they played off his name throughout the film. But don't go in expecting Keanu to be the center focus. The kitten only gets like 25 minutes of screen time, but it isn't wasted.

Overall, Keanu features the incredible duo of Key and Peele and fans of the sketch show will no doubt walk away loving this, but there was still some untapped areas to be tackled. Whether it's a sequel to Keanu, a return to TV, or a completely fresh idea, I'm down to watch anything these guys do.

+Incredible duo

+Brilliantly stupid premise

-But it ends up feeling cliché and uninspired

-Uneven

6.8/10

A Comedy Worth Watching

Author: allstarrunner from United States
28 April 2016

This was one of the best comedies that I have seen in some time; that isn't to say you will fall out of your seat laughing - but the laughter was consistent from beginning to end, and that is pretty much the only thing that matters to me when I decide to go see a comedy.

Seeing how this movie was a clear reference to Keanu Reeves "John Wick", at least as far as the marketing is concerned, I thought the movie would be more of a direct spoof of that movie; but it wasn't - it was more so just a general action comedy and I wouldn't even go so far as to call it a "spoof" movie even though they were certainly playing off well known action tropes.

My bottom line: Is this movie worth shelling out the $ to go see in the theater, in my opinion, yes it is. Get some friends and go have some good laughs.

Far From Purrr-fect

Author: Matt Greene from Panama City, Florida, United States
8 May 2016

Comedy is subjective. Trying to explain why something does or doesn't make you laugh is like trying to explain why you think certain foods are delicious; how do you make someone experience your experience? For example, the sketch show "Key & Peele", while often a smart satire on race and sex, was simply and inexplicably hilarious to me. On the other hand, Keanu, a film created and starring the same dudes, has (arguably) nowhere near the laughs. Despite some all-in comedic performances from two of the most talented guys around, it simply isn't very funny. Through a series of unfortunate events, two mild-mannered men go looking for a kitten and find themselves in the midst of a war between competing drug gangs. Key and Peele display the same comedy-in-sync-ness they became famous for, and they deserve a vehicle much better than this to display their skill. Unfortunately the movie itself never quite finds its balance. It's an absurdist comedy that feels both too absurd and not absurd enough. The plot is shoddy at best, and the shallow levels of character give way to whatever joke seems to be funniest at that moment. None of that would matter, of course, if I just found the movie more consistently funny. Not that it's devoid LOL moments; Key and Peele both have a knack for putting a twist on a line or a facial expression to give it an added layer of wit (i.e. how they act when they think they're about to be killed). Unfortunately, they have created such anticipation through years of brilliant TV work, anything less than wall-to-wall guffaws can be a disappointment.

Meh

Author: Brandi M from United States
3 May 2016

A friend recommended this movie to me. I'd seen a few Key and Peele skits (some were funny, some not so much), so I thought I might as well try it.

It wasn't bad, but not great either. The best way I can think of to describe it is "Meh." Some of the jokes were funny, but others fell flat. I often found myself laughing out of pity rather than at the scene itself. My sister described watching it as "second-hand embarrassment," which I think is accurate. It was almost painful to watch.

I feel bad giving such a low rating, but I just couldn't find much to like. The cat was cute, but it didn't salvage the film. The plot was decent but choppy.

I think maybe if I was more of a fan of Key and Peele, I'd have liked this better? I don't know.

Thin and Over-Stretched, This Concept Doesn't Have the Legs for Feature-Length

Author: Sean Lamberger from Bradenton, FL
28 July 2016

Key and Peele, in their first starring vehicle, play a pair of soft suburban dudes who somehow find themselves acting like thuggish, grizzled killers to retrieve a stolen kitten (the titular Keanu). It's a terrible screenplay, but at least the laughs are there for the first act. After that, it falls into endless re-hashes, basically telling the same two or three jokes against a different backdrop for the length of the picture. I loved these guys on TV, but Keanu doesn't do a great job of highlighting their versatility and eventually goes beyond satire to become exactly the type of movie they're lampooning. Would've made a hilarious five-minute fake trailer on the small screen, which may shine a light on the type of growing pains to expect if they continue this transition to feature-length material.

Disappointed

Author: dunnypop from United States
3 June 2016

First off, I love Key & Peele... I was devastated when I realized that the last episode was their series finale. The movie plays as a weird surreal action movie... I guess it's like Ride Along but played with less slap stick. After watching the trailer multiple times, I figured Keanu was going to have a lot more... but the trailer had all the best parts and the best punchlines.

The plot is a bit shallow as the premise is a runaway kitten and then being found and then going to get the kitten back from captures. I guess you can compare this with Pineapple Express which basically is a simple story of stoners running away... but Pineapple Express has a ton of interesting characters and weirdo situations. Keanu had a couple of weird situations and no real interesting characters except one cameo. Watch the trailer and you're good - it pretty much sums up the entire film and all it's jokes.

Watch it for the kitten and stars Peele and Key; otherwise, very violent and offensive in parts

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
3 October 2016

Rell (Jordan Peele) has just lost his girlfriend, her decision. Now he is a couch potato, crying and smoking weed. His pal Clarence (Keegan Michael Key), however, is happily married to a beautiful gal (Nia Long). Meanwhile, a meth lab is raided and all of the cookers are, well, "cooked" and drugs stolen. However, one being makes it out alive. A darling kitten runs frantically away and makes it to Rell's doorway. Wow, this wee cat arrives just at the right moment to heal Rell's heart! Naming the feline Keanu, things are looking up. Its not for long. While Rell is out, the members of a gang raid his house, mistaking his house for his neighbor's, a low level drug dealer. They take Keanu! With Clarence's wife going out of town, Rell convinces his C-pal to help him get back Keanu, even if they have to become "fake gangsters" to infiltrate the network of bad guys and thieves. Can these two basically decent guys truly dive into a dangerous world and act like tough killers? What if one of the gang members, Hi-C, starts to capture Rell's heart? First, this is not my kind of film, being too violent and raunchy. I confess I watched it because a) I was with a pal who suggested it, b) I love cats and c) I like funnymen like Key and Peele. The darling cat and the two stars are the only reasons to watch it, truly. Otherwise, there are shootouts, strip clubs, and bad language in abundance. Therefore, unless you can keep your thumb on fast forward, you might want to skip it. Hopefully, Peele, Key, and Keanu will all make a family film next time out.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]