IMDb > "El ministerio del tiempo" (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"El ministerio del tiempo"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"El ministerio del tiempo" More at IMDbPro »

Charming and pleasant Sci-Fi series including appropriate production design , interesting intrigue and nice interpretations

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
12 March 2015

Enjoyable Sci-Fi/Adventure series developed with emotion , suspense , thrills and noisy action . This is an imaginative , glamorous , strange fantasy based on the wonderful adventures by a group of heroes against ominous enemies who want to modify historical facts . It is a familiar but satisfying and agreeable Sci-Fi yarn . This a fun series starred by a group of time agents at charge of avoiding nasty people to change world history . Long time ago , during Catholic kingdom (XV century) , kings Isabel and Fernando , was discovered some weird doors , they are enough to go other epochs and take them all back . ¨Time Ministry chief¨ (Jaime Blanch) along with his underlings (Juan Gea , Calletana Guillen Cuervo) look for intelligent as well brave applicants throughout time , the candidates are the followings : Julián Martínez (Rodolfo Sancho) , a SAMUR paramedical worker affected for recent death his wife , Amelia Folch (Aura Garrido) , she is a XIX Century valiant and feminist woman and Alonso De Entrerríos (Nacho Fresneda) , a XVI Century captain Alatristre-lookalike . All of them wind up throwing into their past and future world , but they have to stay alive . The protagonist group will have to confront deal of dangers and adventures and will fight heinous characters such as Lola Mendieta (Natalia Millán) , Napoleon's spies and even Himmler ; ending for themselves against marauding spies who attempt to change history . The group must survive in ancient centuries long enough to resolve the missions assigned by the ¨Ministerio Del Tiempo¨ . Our starring friends even involving into love intrigues , as Amelia meets Lope De Vega and , foiling history , they fall in love . Can our loyal agents survive twisted plots , violent battles in world history and make it back to the 21st century alive ? .

Imaginative as well as lush fantasy about some fantastic doors in which our heroes one time enter , they take on several adventures and dangers . This splendid series blends action , historical events , suspense , battles , intrigue and results to be a lot amusing . This is a far-fetching but acceptable story about intrepid agents traveling backward in time to just to discover weird incidents and save the world and they will fight all kinds of risks to get their purports . From start to finish fantasy , action , duels and delightful adventures are interminable . The protagonist group will have to confront deal of dangers and to run the risks of other times . There are great budget , just amusement enough to cover production gaps and some flaws . As an important group of re-enactors and extras were used for soldiers in battle sequences and recreations of historical moments . Fine special effects mostly made by CGI and liking performances by the leads manage to keep this one afloat .

The picture is partially based on historical events such as ¨the defeat of Armada invincible (1588)¨ and with appearance of several famous roles . As in first episode , our starring go back to Spanish Independence War , they have to avoid Napoleon's spies to kill a known Guerrillero : Martin Diaz El Empecinado ; in second episode , our beloved protagonists try to impede Lope De Vega Y Carpio well played by Victor Clavijo aboard a galleon with a fateful destination . There also appears Velazquez (Julian Villagrán) , Salvador Dalí (Enrique Alcides) , El Empecinado (Keuchkerian) and Isabella the Catholic , here Michelle Jenner reprised her role of from the series Isabel (2011) , the cameo was recorded on the same stage sets as Isabel (2011) before they were dismantled , Rodolfo Sancho played Ferdinand The Catholic on the same series . And even Himmler (David Luque) attempting to Francisco Franco to prevent the meeting in Hendaya in which accorded Spanish neutrality in WWII . Pablo Olivares and Javier Olivares were the excellent creators of 8 episodes from this original series . Being realized in memoriam of Pablo Olivares who recently and unfortunately passed away . The chapters were well directed by Abigail Schaaff , Marc Vigil and Jorge Dorado

Exciting, smart, fresh

Author: Yaiza from Denmark
6 April 2015

How accurate these series are, I'm not sure. I'm no expert, but so far all the historical facts seem quite correct, and that is part of the fun. This series is funny, and also smart and exciting. Well written, well acted, decently edited, professionally directed. I'm really enjoying watching it!

Even for those not familiar with Spanish history, many of the characters are fictitious anyway, and those who are not are big names. And in case someone in the audience wouldn't recognise those big names, they are all explained so the plot makes sense for everyone.

So give it a try, you won't regret it!

Super-Entertaining to Watch & Fantastic If You're Learning Spanish

Author: rvf35-1 from United States
5 June 2015

First, about the show itself ... an unusual team is put together to go to the past and ensure that certain things happen the way they should or that certain historical figures survive to live out their destiny. They travel through doors that are time portals, which sounds totally nutty, but the matter-of-fact way the characters travel through time makes it believable. Most important, however, the show is just a ton of fun! Guau ("wow" in Spanish), I almost died laughing during Episode 2, where the team has to save Lope de Vega. The actor's portrayal of Lope as a shameless womanizer was one of the funniest acting jobs I've ever seen. The episodes are intriguing, suspenseful, funny, and so much fun, all at the same time!

My knowledge of Spanish history isn't good enough to verify the accuracy of the show, but I've read it's quite a bit more faithful to history than "Isabel," although that might not be saying much because "Isabel" gained some notoriety for its dramatic license. What I am sure of is the show accurately reflects the significance and impact of its figures, works, and events from Spanish history. The foreign (that is, non-Spanish) viewer gets a good sense of what Lope de Vega, Lazarillo de Tormes, and El Guernica mean to today's Spaniards.

Finally, I can't recommend this show enough if you're a non-native speaker trying to learn (Castilian) Spanish. First, with Julian (the nurse from 2015), you hear how Spanish is actually spoken today. It's not the Spanish you hear in the classroom, but it is how real, honest-to-goodness, normal Spaniards speak. Then with Amelia (the brilliant university student from the 1880s), you hear perfect formal Spanish - the kind still taught in the classroom. Perhaps the least practical but the most entertaining is the Spanish spoken by Alonso, the 16th Century soldier. Alonso's Spanish is more Siglo de Oro than 21st Century, but it's fun to listen to.

Watch the show because it's massively entertaining. And if you're trying to sharpen your "castellano," you've found a gem in "El Ministerio Del Tiempo." The videos of all eight Season 1 episodes are available on the RTVE website, with captions (but only in Spanish) if you need them.

Good Spanish sci-fi series!!!

Author: Pirer from Barcelona, Spain
24 February 2015

Tonight the Ministery of time has started to work at full capacity and I hope in the future episodes they're able to show us more information and facts about this secret agency and his curious characters. I recommend it for all the sci-fi fans and enthusiasts of the history in general, but there's only one con for non-Spanish people, the original language is Spanish and maybe it's hard to find the video file and the subtitles in the habitual websites.

I wait anxious for the next chapter!!! :)

PD: You can see previous chapters, teaser and promo videos in the official page of the series inside of the TVE website ;)

Probably one of the best series created in Spain in the last 20 years.

Author: Tino - (nova6k0@gmail.com) from Spain
5 March 2015

The series has many strengths. Especially the script that is of great quality.

Many nods and references to other series and movies are made. But the best thing is a more scientific than fantastic series:

Warning: spoiler of the argument!

The series is based on a simple argument regarding understand. The Ministry of Time is an entity "secret" that is based on preventing evil traveling to the past can change something that harms the future (of course, the future of the past is the present). To that does not happen there are a number of people elected from different centuries, they must complete a series of missions, traveling different times.

The characters of the series, they encounter different situations, some funny and some not so. In any case, the mixture is perfect for maintaining the tension in each episode.

The script, as I said, of high quality. The characters, as mentioned in the previous paragraph, another key point and the argument itself, together form a series of high very entertaining and enjoyable to watch quality. Highly recommended.

Great writing ruined by HORRIBLE Spanish ACTING

Author: maymad from Spain
6 April 2016

I'll start with the good aspects: -GREAT WRITING, humor (even self-deprecating humor) -Nice cinematography -Although time travel concept is a very common subject, it's a nice twist that it's a Government Dept.

Now the bad...

EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!

-The music SUCKS!!! (who the hell did the HORRIBLY GENERIC OPENING TITLES music???..a gorilla with a Casio could have been a MUCH BETTER JOB)...well, it's a State TV series, TVE, so , in proper Spanish Fashion, it was probably the son or brother or..somebody close to the producer(s) who did it.

-SPANISH ACTING IS SOOO STIFF AND WOODEN...they apparently haven't figured out the concept of DELIVERING THEIR LINES...I SWEAR, it's like third grade school acting...VERY PAINFUL...and , BTW, isn't it the DIRECTOR who calls the shots??? I could direct an episode and either TEACH these "actors" how to PERFORM SOME REAL ACTING or GET SOME OTHER ONES WHO CAN ACT!!!! ...and I can see some people hating me for saying all of this and the excuse being...well, they are LONG episodes and there isn't enough time...THAT IS NO EXCUSE!!!!

-Cayetana...oooohh Cayetana...of ALL her work I've seen, she has only played one role...and she's doing it again...running the emotional range from A to ...A (the LEAD , Juan Gea is just ....ugh!, and I really would like to like Aura Garrido, but she's also EXTRA stiff...she's very pretty, but pretty don't make an actress , honey)

I HAVE TO ABSTRACT AS HARD AS I CAN THROUGH THE HORRIBLE AMATEURISH ACTING on EVERY EPISODE--

ONE EXCEPTION!!!! Nacho Fresneda does a (EDIT)WONDERFUL job, but it's very limited by his role... (ADDITION: The "Pacino" character is also a good actor, unfortunately, he's gone after a few episodes...he obviously was making the other horrible actors look bad)

I give it a Five because of the writing....if there were some REAL actors involved, it'd be at least an 8.... (ADDITIONAL EDIT: I see that nobody agrees with my opinion-I don't care...I know good acting when I see it and this series is full of "actors"-apologies to REAL actors- who do not enunciate or invest emotionally on their characters...and especially do not know a THING about delivering their lines...the later episodes-season 2- are weak plot-wise...it seems they are running out of budget like a real govt., especially here in Spain where EVERYTHING is done by "who you know or the casting couch")