IMDb > A Man Called Ove (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
En man som heter Ove

A Man Called Ove More at IMDbPro »En man som heter Ove (original title)

Touching, entertaining and deep.

Author: Graggoz
30 January 2016

This movie is about an old man that appears to be grumpy. The story gradually reveals his back-story in a masterful way to explain his behaviour that will probably change your opinion of the main character.

I can honestly say that I have never before felt such a strong connection to a character in a movie. This is an absolute masterpiece.

The directing of the movie is also great. It's easy to understand who is who and when a flashback occurs even if you have not read the book.

The greatness of the movie will be most appreciated if you understand Swedish, but even if you depend on subtitles it will still be a gem that you should not miss out on.

I am very conservative with rating movies 10/10, but this one I think truly deserves it!

pleasant and moving

Author: nneveregret from Seoul, Korea
10 May 2016

one of you guys may wonder why I am writing a review of this movie now. Im in South Korea so this movie didn't came out in cinema yet. nevertheless, I was waiting for this move after I got to know people seemed to love a book. Luckily, I got a preview ticket and could see it last night.

I was kinda expecting this was gonna be good because I checked IMDb reviews for this movie said this was worth to see. I enjoyed this move a lot more than I expected. I like a fan of movie having good story line more than spectacular SF or CG scenes. To be honest, I love watching great nature scenery so it doesn't need to have a good story line.

You can find about this movie's story line easily here and somewhere. so I don't write about movies much. I want to tell you why I loved this move a lot. First of all, Main character "Ove" acting is so excellent and involving. and his wife ensembles his character so adorably. Many scenes of his reminisces are very touching and got my eyes watery.

I had thought to myself how it could be sad to lose a lifetime partner. and how it could be happy to get a woman I truly love. Someone can truly change your life.

Characters and places in this movie were very restricted so it can be boring if you expect a very entertaining movie. If you go for movies that can give you a thought, definitely this will be for you.

Very funny and moving

Author: adam_zeiloth from Stockholm
26 December 2015

I did see the one man show with Johan Rheborg in the theater, so I knew what the story would be about, and Johan did a great job on the stage.

The story itself is very moving and its about Ove try to manage life after his life partners death. He have his patterns and many people around him making these patterns hard to follow. I don't want to spoil the movie by saying to much, but i thing this is enough to get a grip of what the movie is about.

I did have low expectation then many great books try to adapt to cinema and fail, and we have some great actors in Sweden, but many overrated actors also. This was the perfect cast and this movie moved me to many laughers and tears. I would go so far and say this is a top 3 of all the Swedish movies I seen in my 30 years. I could really recommend this movie to all viewers no matter how old you are or what kind of person you are.

Beautiful movie

Author: osonder from Norway
26 December 2015

This is a beautiful movie that I warmly can recommend. Rolf Lassgård is acting great as always. This is a movie that will make you laugh and cry. The film is based on a book. I have not read the book, but my girlfriend had. She said that the movie was very good, and the story was well told. The movie have some actors that I have never seen before, but they all act good, and is lifting Rolf's role very well. I can warmly recommend this movie. I guess the movie will fit for all adult people (from 15 to 100 years old), and the movie make you have some thoughts, when the credits roll over the film at the end. I will not write any spoils here. See it for yourselves.

Feel good movie

Author: Peter Soilander from Sweden
7 January 2016

This movie is one of the better with Rolf Lassgård. To choose write this in English is a bit idiotic, if I choose to retain a bit from the spirit of the film. Everyone should write in Swedish!

You can tell a lot about a movie that does not take up much more than everyday events where most of the accident comes from Ove's life. Somehow Lassgård grasps the classic silence with deep melancholy traits that are often found in our northern latitudes. He uses all his (big) body language to express emotions which makes him to a brilliant actor.

Because children have a special role in the film, there is probably nothing in the world that can make a movie beautiful in itself. Lined up with grief and death the moments sometimes becomes strong. A dark wintry Thursday evening in a crowded movie theater there were many who shed tears.

There is also a clear generational perspective in the film too. The generation born in 1940th's are retiring and leaving earth on natural reasons. Of course it feels bitter. But also the world they left with their differences are a bit odd in our eyes. Who care about car brands today?

The new Swedes that blooms up with immigrants. Also the touch of our sometimes stupid and heavy mentality that smooths out cultural differences.

The beautiful hope that exists in our country.

A humble journey through life from beginning to end

Author: freerider101 from Austria
31 October 2016

Definitely one of the must-watch films of your life!

This movie is definitely in the top 100 must watch films in the entire world. At least, it is for me.

It's a simple story of what life has to bring and how one handles the it. It makes you realize that there is a reason for everything. There is a reason why this person is happy, why that person is grumpy. We all have our stories. A man's true character is not measured by first impressions. It is through opening one's book slowly, reading the story and being a party of it.

There is nothing more I can say than, "Just see for yourself."

evolve your relations

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
1 January 2017

Some of the movies that I find the most interesting are ones that focus on interactions between people from different cultures. "En man som heter Ove" ("A Man Called Ove" in English) is one such movie. The protagonist is a misanthropic, aging man in a neighborhood in Sweden. He spends much of his time telling people if they're breaking the law. But when an Iranian woman and her family move in, this becomes a new opportunity for him.

In addition to showing Ove's relationship with this new family, the movie uses flashbacks to establish what kind of a person Ove is. And believe me, there are some shocking things that happened in this man's life. I had never heard of the director or cast members before watching the movie, but I'm impressed with their work (including the cat). The movie has some clever scenes, but also makes sure to emphasize the characters' relationships with each other. I hope that Hannes Holm continues to make this sort of movie, and I hope to see Rolf Lassgård in more movies. Bra gjort!

A warm movie, but not the best of its kind

Author: blumdeluxe
9 December 2016

I do have to say that I expected a bit more of this movie. It tells us the story of a rather grumpy old man that is isolated within his neighborhood and plans to bring his life to an end but is stopped by his own pedantry and a new set of people that bring a necessary chaos into his ritualized life.

While the plot itself surely has potential, at the same time it is not something you have never heard or seen before. Movies love to show the warm heart in otherwise cold characters and elder people are always a good target for that because they already have more stories to be told to explain how their bitterness appeared.

In this case, everything seems just a bit over the top. How every time he attempts to commit suicide something happens out of the blue is probably supposed to be of comical value but somehow just appears to be unrealistic. At the same time many of the characters seem a bit stereotypical or at least one-dimensional.

It is a warm film though, with a warm message and it is never wrong to have some more of those. I did feel sympathy for this old man with his cat and his wife, and I did feel touched by their accident and so it surely makes some things wright. That it teaches tolerance, among cultures as well as along sexual orientations, is also a very positive point.

All in all it is a warm film that doesn't harm anyone but the cold-hearted, but there are better similar ones existing.

"There comes a time in your life when you decide who you want to be."

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
4 November 2016

I can credit a mini-vacation to visit a friend for the good fortune of catching this film at a Richmond, Virginia art house, as I'm almost one hundred percent certain it would never appear in the area where I live. Because he (my friend) and his wife had read the book on which the story was based, the natural question was how closely did the film follow the original story, and with minor exceptions, it captured the essence well enough to deter any disappointment.

The picture almost immediately calls to mind Clint Eastwood's 2008 movie "Gran Torino" and the similarities are many. The principal character Ove (Rolf Lassgard) is a recently retired senior citizen who's wife has recently passed away, and his severe conservative code of ethics is displayed in the way he attempts to enforce the administrative codes of his neighborhood block association. Told in a non-linear fashion, the story takes us back to Ove's childhood and young adult life, with a tender and touching story of how he met his wife Sonja (Ida Engvoll), and how they both managed to persevere through an unfortunate accident that left her crippled but determined to live a normal life.

What could have been a morose story is emphatically brought to life when a new set of neighbors arrives next door to Ove, and he finds his ideas of immigrants consistently challenged. One gets the sense that Ove at no time wants to be bothered with other people, but at the same time finds it impossible not to reach out and help someone in a time of trouble or crisis. Having decided that he wants to join his beloved wife on the other side, Ove is constantly thwarted in his attempt to take his own life. In that respect, the film calls to mind another picture, this one from 1971, called "Harold and Maude". The difference however, is that the character Harold fakes suicide repeatedly to get a rise out of his family, whereas Ove seeks a real outcome. Or does he? The viewer must draw one's own conclusion, particularly after Ove declares that "Killing oneself isn't all that easy."

Because this is a Swedish film, the only one I've ever seen at this point, one rather major disconnect for me occurred when the Willie Nelson song "You Were Always on My Mind" popped up in the soundtrack. In a way, it did fit the occasion because it had to do with Ove's memory of his wife, but it just seemed odd and out of context. The other concession to American film making that I'm sensitive to because I've seen it so many times now, was a product placement for Coca Cola, which shouldn't amaze me so much in a global economy, but it was just too striking not to mention it.

Filmed in Swedish with English sub-titles, this is a competent film that one ought to catch if it should come your way. Along with the heartbreak of Ove's personal story, there are many moments of warmth and humor, and you'll catch yourself chuckling in spots that are both touching and ironic. Not necessarily a feel good movie in the traditional sense, though the picture has a way of working it's magic in a profound way.

Even the grumpy have a soft side

Author: ccorral419 from United States
21 September 2016

Sweden has chosen "En man som hater Ove" (A Man Called Ove) - English Subtitled, based on the Fredrik Backman's 2012 novel (I really need to start reading more) as their official Oscar Foreign Language entry. Ove (Rolf Lassagard - already a Seattle and Guldbagge Festival Best Actor winner for "Ove) is a grumpy old man who has lost his title of property manager to an old friend and his wife to an accident. Taking his misfortunes out on anyone and anything that gets in his way, neighbors and friends do their best to stay clear of his presence. Enter a young mixed race couple Parvaneh (Bahar Pars) and Patrik (Tobias Almbord) and their two young girls, who move across from Ove and painstakingly force him out of his doom and gloom existence. With a running time of almost 2 hours, the film tends to go on as it unravels Ove's hidden backstory. Luckily, director Hannes Holms and writer Backman have provided a unique environment to marvel at, and a cast of quirky lovable characters (especially Bahar Pars) to sustain one's interest. Foreign films are great, for many reason, a few of which are that we are introduced to unfamiliar actors and locations.