IMDb > Fucking Berlin (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Fucking Berlin More at IMDbPro »

A failure because of lack of creative talent from almost everybody involved

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
6 November 2016

"Fucking Berlin" is a German movie from this year (2016). It is based on the autobiography of Sonia Rossi and it too four people to adapt this one into the screenplay for this movie here. One of the quartet is Florian Gottschick, who is also the director of this 90-minute film. It is actually shocking how many people worked on this film in the writing department and how much of a mess it turned out to be because at least one of them must have recognized how bad it all turned out to be. One of the major problems is lead actress Svenja Jung. She may have nice looks (nothing too special though), but that's really it. The worst thing by far is her voice-over narration delivery that totally hurt the film. Her acting in the scenes when we actually see her is not too convincing either. Maybe it is not that obvious because her fellow cast members are equally underwhelming.

Now about the story: It is obvious that Gottschick had a lot of ambition for this film here. Sadly, the film turns out to be a project where ambition and actual creative craft are far far away from each other. Many scenes were pretty cringeworthy to watch because it became obvious how much Jung and Gottschick wanted it to be a relevant watch, a character study about a young woman who first gets lost in the world of webcam action, later on in the world of prostitution. But it is no such thing. Instead the film eventually goes for cheap thrills and the shots at being very controversial bring nothing but embarrassing sex scenes. Embarrassing for the audience and for the creators as well. The emotional scenes with the main character crying for example rang very false and never felt authentic or even touching. This film lacks authenticity too much that it is not only not the case that you care for the character and her happiness, but that you really don't care for her at all, not just that you don't feel for her. I could mention a couple scenes that were especially bad in terms of acting, execution and writing, but I will not go into detail any further. If you decide to watch the film (and you really should not), then you will know which scenes I meant. In my opinion, this is a definite contender for worst German movie of 2016. Yes it is as bad as the embarrassingly baity title implies and I suggest you stay far far away from this piece of garbage.