IMDb > "Supergirl" (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Supergirl"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Supergirl" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Recapturing our youth

Author: Llinos Dafys
7 November 2015

After all the harsh reviews I've seen, I decided to actually sign up for this site just to give a more balanced review.

First, I won't lie. I'm a big time superhero lover. Truth be told, Wonder Woman was my true inspiration when I was younger. I could relate to her and admired her strength and courage. I felt like if she could do anything, so could I. Sure, I was just a kid, but that kind of thing is great for kids.

With that said, I feel like this will bring up a new generation of superhero lovers. Everyone basically keeps saying this show is too tropey. But who started those tropes? The classics, of course. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman. These were our go-to since comics existed. Supergirl was later created so that girls could have a feminine figure to admire as well.

I feel like so many people are missing the point of this show because they think it's too silly, the writing is too immature, or the plot seems too on-the-nose. But look at it from a new perspective: Can parents see themselves watching this with their children? Arrow shows some rather steamy scenes when that sweet lovin' is going on. What are parents doing? "No, sorry kids, can't watch this." But Kara is cute, dorky, and the Everygirl. She wants her boss to be more understanding, she wants to help people, and she always has an encouraging word to say. The most important thing -- she values her friends. What better lesson to teach your kids in a modern age? And for those who are kids at heart, it's still an enjoyable show. There's a great cast with lots of people we recognize (at least I recognize several). It reminds me of my youth and why I loved superheroes to begin with. She's a *clothed* feminine figure who isn't relying on the size of her chest or butt to show how capable she is. Wasn't that the biggest complaint of all scifi and fantasy? Now, anyone who remembers the classic Disney movie, Hercules, and loved it regardless of what age they are, I feel like that's the movie that best describes this show. I was young enough to appreciate it, and I've even re-watched it out of nostalgia a few times. The more I think of a dorky person who didn't know their own abilities, including that inner heroic capability, the more I see a parallel between that movie and Supergirl 2015. Both wanted to be more. Both wanted to find a purpose in life. Both found it by being a hero and saving others.

For people who missed that 90s happy campy nature, I feel like this show brings it back, but without feeling like an entire "camping" trip. Having also seen Arrow, Flash, and Gotham, Supergirl show is worthy of all ages. I just believe people need to give Supergirl a chance. Like any show, it will find that "groove" and improve. We've barley even started.

Rocky start, but has potential :)

Author: crimson_knight_7 from Canada
13 August 2015

Kara Zor-El, or Supergirl, is the daughter of Superman's uncle Zor- El and his wife Alura. Due to the fact that Krypton was dying, Kal El (Superman), and Kara Zor-El, were sent away to Earth where they could thrive and survive. Though both were sent so they could live, Kara was also sent to protect Kal-El; however, just as her pod was leaving Krypton's atmosphere, the planet exploded and the shockwave sent her pod off course into the Phantom Zone, a prison dimension used by Kryptonians. This prison dimension was originally discovered by Jor El, Kal El's father, and used by the Kryptonian Council as a humane prison. Although the zone is a barren wasteland, people trapped in the zone cannot grow old or die. As a result of being trapped in the Phantom Zone, Kara arrived at planet Earth several decades later only to discover that her cousin, Kal El, whom she was supposed to protect, was a full grown adult called Superman. After being adopted by the Danvers family, Kara slowly follows into the footsteps of her younger cousin as both a journalist and a Superhero known to the world as Supergirl.

Unlike other DC television series that have a darker and violent atmosphere that might be unappealing to some, "Supergirl" is a cheerful, action packed series that is both entertaining and amusing. That being said, it would have been nice if Supergirl's look were a little more modernized to match her appearance in the NEW 52. Although there are a few cheesy moments, Kara's innocent, energetic, quirky, playful personality makes "Supergirl" enjoyable to watch. In the end, "Supergirl" is a fun and interesting series that has excellent potential. That being said, the acting needs some improvement as the cheesiness of the show can sometimes come across as fake, or amateurous. Additionally, the writers as well as the researchers need to get there facts straight as a native citizen of the planet Krypton is a Kryptonian and not a "Kryptoniese". As for those of you disliking it from just the pilot episode, you should examine/recognize this shows potential as there are a lot of amazing TV shows that had a rocky start.

Its a Bird, Its a Plane, Its Feminist Propaganda Girl.

Author: aamerkastoff from Portland
1 November 2015

Minor spoilers (just some dialogue and show agenda).

I really wanted to enjoy this show, my daughter really wanted to enjoy this show, my son really wanted to enjoy this show, my wife really wanted to enjoy this show...

The good: Characters had the right names, special effects were pretty good, the actors were all competent.

The bad: Everything else, from the feminist and SJW (social justice warrior) propaganda and agenda constantly invading the story to the text book racist move of replacing a 75+ year beloved white nerdy teen character with a handsome suave 35 year old Black man.

The show also was rampant with misandry and sexism aimed at men. My daughter and wife were offended by the show constantly shoving feminist lies down the viewers throats. Men who did not love/worship Supergirl were constantly downing women. My daughter flat out said she had never heard anyone ever say to her or another girl at school "You can't because your just a girl" or any thing remotely like it, let alone this gem from the show "Women bow to men" that's a direct line from one of the men on the show. My young son wondered why all the men were bad guys except for the two main male characters who basically worship the main character (serious feminist feminist wish fulfillment).

The show broke men down in to two categories: 1.) Men who worship the female (Supergirl) are good (jimmy Olsen and Supergirl's work friend) 2.) Men who did not worship the female were psychotic killers or violent military men. There are no other types on the show. It reeks of the uber feminist CBS Entertainment Chairman Nina Tassler's feminist ideology which makes since, the show is her baby.

Its hard to enjoy a show that is openly racist, sexist, and has an obvious political agenda all while sending the message "If you don't agree with us YOUR the racist, sexist problem," apparently CBS thinks its OK to be racist to white people and sexist towards men because their feminist Chairmen says so. Whats worse is this show is aimed at young adults, teens and kids, meaning your kids are purposely being fed an hour of pure propaganda in the guise of a Superhero show.

Supergirl has a lot of potential and a lot of promise, but that's all it has.

Author: Andrew Gold from United States
23 April 2016

For what it's trying to be, Supergirl is a great show. It's family-friendly and PC in every possible way (to the point of shoving it down our throats) and it's actually a lot of fun... sometimes. In between the cheesy dialogue and grating pop singles, there are some very cool moments in Supergirl. There's a potentially great antihero in Maxwell Lord, a promising cast altogether, oh, and J'onn freakin' J'onzz - far and away the best thing about the show. There is clever dialogue sprinkled around and a few character beats do pay off in the finale, but the best episodes are the oddballs. The White Martian versus The Green Martian, The Flash crossover (I do hope they do more because their chemistry was phenomenal), creepy freak-of-the-weeks like Toyman, threatening villains like Non - that's the kind of badass comic book hero stuff I want to see. Not awkward banter between a love triangle (or rectangle) or them degrading Superman in every possible respect (it's funny when they instant message but literally every other reference to Clark puts him in a negative light).

It's a show with potential, and if it is to continue, some things need to go. Tone down the overtly PC writing, get rid of the pop songs, give the effects department a bigger budget, overall more action, less talking, and this could be a winner. But as of right now, Supergirl has all the potential in the world. And that's all it has.

James Olsen.... really?

Author: jimsboatworks from United States
26 October 2015

OK... I gave this show a fair chance. The casting is poorly executed and lazy. Supervisor is not blonde, but I can overlook that... I'm sorry, but JIMMY Olsen is supposed to be red haired, freckled and geeky. Several stories in the comics were based on this. Now we zoom into the future, regardless of his color, suddenly Jimmy Olsen turns into a physically cut confident manly man that insists on being called James. This is just too big of departure from the roots of the story. Making characters another race is expected in this age of TV diversity, but you need to keep their essence. They didn't and ruined the story for me. I can't take this adaptation serious.... Jimmy Olsen is a geek and us comic fans are geeks, he is one of our own, not a cut gym rat. It gets a 1 star in my book. Killing a story in a poor attempt to be diverse.

awkward awkward awkward...

Author: ochakor
19 October 2015

out of all the superhero TV shows lately, this one has got to be the cheapest. And i don't necessarily mean that in terms of budget, but in terms of effects, screenplay, dialogue, and acting... i guess a lot of us were expecting something in the continuity of Arrow and The Flash, and even if these TV shows also have major flaws (like bad guys shooting assault rifles with stormtrooper accuracy for example),and though Supergirl predicted a more light-hearted feel to it, it could have been entertaining. But it's not. It's painful. It looks like someone slapped up this show in the 90s, and it's just coming out now. The effects are poor, the story is just rushed with no explanation or development. Things just happen really fast and with sometimes borderline acting (Supergirl has these weird grimaces... is it voluntary?), and people just do what they do, and we're supposed to be like "oh, OK, no time to explain". Like "SPOILERS!!!!!!

This dude who we find out is her best friend, to whom she tells her secret just like that BAAM! and who's also in love with her who also just hacks into police surveillance for her and also makes her a suit with "polymer" blabla high tech stuff although he's just a normal office worker like her. And all that in about 2 minutes. Convenient much?

SPOILER ENDS HERE

AND STEREOTYPES!! so many stereotypes that have been going on since EVERY TV SHOW EVER! Even Smallville delivered better content then this. You'd think they would move on to new things. It just makes you cringe, you know? It's possible you might like this show... if you don't ask questions and just pretend everything makes sense, or if you think the actress is cute, but don't go looking for a "good" TV show. Just try to get past the pilot if you can! But with so many "fails" in one episode, it's too disappointing to carry on.

Trash trash, trash, trash

Author: Manuel Suazo
16 April 2016

First of all i would like to say that i have watched 19 episodes of this show and i am entitled to my opinion (unlike people who saw the pilot and left it) and i have to say that this show is just not good.Are there episodes that are sort of good? Of course,but it says something that your best episode is a collaboration with another studio. to keep in that mindset the biggest problem with the show is its writing. the dialogue is so bad with quips and one liners that are cringeworthy, a story that is propaganda in on itself (which i will touch later), characters that i just don't care about, and love triangles that are just unnecessary.

this show is a mess starting with a big plot that involves "saving the world because of global warming, and the fact we don't care for the environment". GIVE ME A BREAK. why do you think this story is interesting? the market is so filled with propaganda about saving the world that this just does not help, what it does is it uses a stupid pretext of a story in a show that is already filled with feminist propaganda. As i said the writing on this show is just terrible.

so yes you have a show with a female lead, do you need to push all this feminist trash on us every chance you get? like "if god existed SHE would not let this happen", like it genuinely pains me that the show tries so hard to push this bullshit to us, and does not focus on being a having a good story or good characters or at least decent action.

to finish, the thing that bothers me the most is how much potential a female superman has to a good story, but all of that is wasted with stupid lines and stupid propaganda that all it does is bring down the show. so, would i recommend you watch it? NO.

Improving!

Author: Liam_1 from Ireland
29 November 2015

Where to begin? First of all, I think it's important to say that the pilot did not introduce this show well at all. The tone was set badly and hasn't really been followed through with on the rest of the episodes.

Initially, I would have been ready to vote this one star, just like so many others here; I thought it was trashy. But episodes four and five have completely redeemed it, and given us a glimpse of what this show could be.

There has been some mishandling in general here. Thanks to the incredibly iffy pilot, a lot of the live audience has already been lost. I would say that this can be regained, if the right cards are played. There is a huge disparity between the quality of the more recent episodes and the first few, which suggested a vapid show that didn't seem to be about anything at all. No central focus, Supergirl appearing out of nowhere suddenly, villains getting thrown in and tossed off one by one etc, random conversations that seemed to go nowhere.

All that's gone now. We have great dialogue, a cast that's working well together. Melissa is fantastic, getting better as the show goes on. Supergirl as a character hasn't been presented this strongly before. The 1984 version certainly had some good moments, but this show is really outdoing it now.

Helen Slater is great. The rest of the cast is working well too, and Peter Facinelli is being built up to be a great villain. The growing dynamic between Cat and Supergirl is surprising, intelligently written and interesting. Again, what once seemed simple and insipid, has expanded quickly into new dimensions.

Note to CBS: Pick an arc with a few strong episodes (similar in quality to 4 and 5) and market the heck out of them. There's a chance to turn it around. It's unfortunate at the moment, because given the high quality of the last few episodes, with good management, this could have easily and effortlessly gone for four or five, even six seasons.

I also commend the network for pulling the episode 'how does she do it' in the wake of the Paris attacks, as it was a particularly strong show.

First two episodes I would score 1 or 2 out of ten. Since then, this show is a solid 9. I'm voting ten, because I would actually like to see more of this character. She's great!

Ridiculous PC drivel - Gidget wants to be a super hero

Author: vpassenheim-425-965723
9 November 2015

I'm being generous with a 3/10 score.

So this show is like an ongoing "the power of feminism" lecture. She's a 20-something executive assistant with the emotional constitution of a pre-pubescent girl. Her school girl crush on "James" Olsen is, rather than "adorable" actually quite laughable. No chemistry between any of the characters and her colleagues who are supposed to be grown- ass professional men behave like submissive cheerleaders. Politically correct subtext throughout. Uninteresting and easily predictable story lines. I'd be SHOCKED if this show got picked up. I gave it a chance - 3 episodes. Really, it's just the same garbage recycled week after week.

Fun, Quirky, and very Refreshing.

Author: anthony-davidson from Ontario
18 November 2015

Melissa Benoist who plays Supergirl is very likable. She plays an amazing Kara Danvers. Reminds me of the way Christopher Reeves use to do Clarke Kent; Those same nerdy overtones. All in all the show is a lot like the old Lois & Clarke from the early 90s (fitting that Dean Cain should make an appearance as the stepfather). It's quirky and light without taking itself too seriously. For some reason directors want to make all the new superhero shows/ movies dark and very serious. There is a time and place for serious, but sometimes in the process you lose the fun factor. I think once and awhile Hollywood needs to be reminded that these Superhero's began in comic books. A lot of us grew up with these comics, and they began as innocent fun. This show is definitely a step in the right direction. Not quite back to the Pow, Bang, Batman, but a breath of fresh air none the less.

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]