IMDb > Red Billabong (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Red Billabong More at IMDbPro »

Really Awful

Author: Billziz
25 August 2016

The idea that "just because an Aussie made it -- It MUST be supported" is rubbish -- this really feels like a university student film with a high school plot - the online PR is promoting that this is Australia's first CGI film... ummm ... so what?!?! Using CGI doesn't equal a good film. In fact the CGI is below average. Everything in this film is clichéd to the point of embarrassing. The story is predictable. The actors are soap calibre. The link to ancient culture is forced & ill-conceived. There is no horror. No thrill. Nothing new. This is naive film-making at it's worst. The whole exercise looks like a marketing survey aimed at the lowest common denominator.

It really is that bad

Author: browchay from Luxembourg
1 September 2016

Absolutely dumbfounded as to how this is getting anything higher than 3 - 3.5 stars

As one of the previous reviewers suggested, it does look like it was made by Uni students during their lunch break. There are a number of painful scenes where the actors really are unsure of what they're supposed to be doing or how they should be acting.

Also, with regards to CGI, if you don't have the budget to do it well, don't do it at all. It was laughable. We didn't really need to see as much as we did, it would have been better leaving more to the imagination.

Wooden acting at best with lackluster direction. The idea and potential could have been great with thorough execution but this just left us all feeling like we wanted 2 hours of our lives back.

The dog was great.

Funny thing with some of the other 10/10 reviews.... check the profiles, one gold coast actor (supporting his friends in the industry) the others all created recently and only reviewing this film ... I smell a rat! ;-)

Good idea. Poor script.

Author: dr_spider_man from Australia
26 August 2016

This film is such a shame. It had everything going for it, decent production values, visually interesting and a unique idea. All of this gets turned into a missed opportunity by a poorly executed script full of cliques, casual misogyny and lazy dialogue.

The main problem is that main characters (the brother) are just boring. The film doesn't give you a single reason to like or care for them. They're not unlikable people but they're far from being interesting or emotionally engaging enough for you go on this journey with them. Nor are they cool or charismatic enough for you to live a power fantasy through them. On top of this, all the minor characters are totally interchangeable and forgettable (which the expectation of the goofy girl).

The main plot (until the monster plot takes over) is about the leads working out whether or not to sell their family farm. Something you don't really want for a film that's touting it self as as 'the biggest Australian action film of 2016'. I'm guessing they didn't catch the absurdly silly 'Gods of Egypt'.

You would think that this plot would just be a mcguffin so a family drama can unfold between the brothers but… nope. And this's the problem. Internally, you have no idea who the two leads or what they really want. Don't get me wrong, characters in these type of films needs to be too deep but they do need some dept. Even Max is the 'light on plot' 'Fury Road' had internal desires and motivations. I.e. testing if he could trust and connect with humans again. These characters are just uninspiring cliques who spurt plot points until the monster turns up.

The first two acts just have too many 'talking head' scenes that could have been edited right down. But in its defense, the third act is pretty good. It's where all the action, CG and set pieces are but by the time it came around, I'd I'd stopped caring.

To be honest, the film really didn't bother me too much. We've all seen bad films. What inspired the review was the Q&A after the film in which the director spend the entire time attempting to humble brag about how great he and his film is. He used every opportunity to mention that it was a "Good, fun action film" It's really not. It's a technically sound, bloated film with a bad script.

It also made it perfectly clear he's an 'independent filmmaker and not Hollywood". I think that was clear to everyone from all the actors from 'Home and Away'.

And he really going to leave his mark on the Australian film industry; not with scripts like this he isn't.

The film fails at it's aspirations of being a light and fun popcorn film. Everyone clearly has talent and were trying there best. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but there are so many other great Australian genre film you really should be watching before this.

Absolute rubbish

Author: Shehan Lena from Sri Lanka
30 December 2016

The acting is really poor here - there are a couple of good scenes but for the most part it just seems to fake and unreal. The plot is just useless - it starts off good and I was hoping for a good movie but as it continues you realise that the script is like something a bunch of kids put together - and that is how it ends. Do not waste your time on this movie. The CGI is third grade/ low budget. Its a B class movie - and they haven't been able to pull it off. The script could do with a much better plot and a more scarier story as opposed to three women needed to complete the cycle - really? I liked the dog the most - really expected better.

Bewildered!

Author: khalid emam
29 December 2016

It was one of the worst things "not just movie" I've ever seen. How this movie has got a rating of 6.5 is beyond me!! I don't want to waste any extra words on this shitty movie but because it is compulsory to write a minimum of 10 lines I would have to apologize for the following.

Awful Awful Awful.

I beg of you if you are reading this review not to waste two hours of your life watching this movie.

I don't normally write reviews but I feel it is my social duty to try and warn as many people as I can from watching this horrid thing.

OMG Just astonishingly bad

Author: christiank7 from Austria
30 December 2016

What are you people in Australia drinking? It can not be the beer because that was usually pretty good unless the Chinese bought the breweries. So I am thinking its some form of kangapiss koolaid because this film is an insult to the intelligence of Roos and a nasty way to use the great old word BILLABONG. Really Australia? Is this what you are like these days. Yikes. Bad acting, terrible script, horrible accent and then there is the story. OK Lets leave the story out of it because what really gets me is that Australia is a bit like Germany. In Germany they can not get away from the NAZI period and in Australia you can not get away from the obligatory ABBO! Using the ABBO in films is a joke and so terribly liberal and so terribly insulting to the Australian Aborigine. So you see I use the term ABBO as it is portrayed in your films and do not intend any negative to the real Australian Aborigine. Sorry Australia but your pathetic guilt complex is just sickening. The music, the bad photography which reminds me of the cheap videos we used to make when we were 16 with our new VHS camera back in the seventies. Come on Australia - get a fracking grip. But the truth is that as long as you allow the Australian Film Commission to be involved and taxpayers money you will never grow up. I suggest that you all leave the film making to the rest of the world and just play footie which at least you are reasonable at.

Flawed - I wish it was better. A few laughs

Author: conan-2 from Sydney, Australia
6 September 2016

There is a reference to Scooby Doo in the movie and sadly much of the movie resembled the reference in terms of depth of character but in many other references. The combi = mystery mobile. The brave dog = Scooby The hammy American trying to buy the land. For all of those in Murica relax, it is an Aussie with a bad accent.

This story needed many, many rewrites to make this thing sing. Sadly the usual Aussie formula of writer/director/producer being the same guy or gal rang true here. Nobody said "hey," this needs to be tighter or this makes no sense.

-----For example ---- Brother had more drugs than Pablo Escobar and he was supposed to be dealing on the side. He seemed quite open to his brother about such a lot of drugs. Considering the drugs - everyone is too cute etc.

The went to the town to buy food for breakfast but did not return until nightfall, all the better for the creepy scenes.

What happened to the tribe? Only the tribal leader appears in the final scene.

This movie is fun but really needed to be a lot tighter.

The acting is fine for the two leads, the rest were clichéd if not hammy.

The CGI was always going to be a problem as it is a monster movie it is hard to make something believable yet not of this world.

An extended action episode of home and away

Author: billy-09432 from Victoria, Australia
3 January 2017

I had high hopes of this flick as Australian creature features of the past such as rogue and razorback were well constructed. This however fell dry and flat with scheduled cliché Aussie songs and slang sayings. The generic character stereotypes were spot on the money for this sort of movie however they were mostly all overacted and generally unbelievable at best. as a fond fan of the horror genre this movie seemed to cross over to the action genre after approximately 50 minutes of boring character building. There were no scare scenes nor shock factor moments. There were no real comedic moments which are usually familiar within Australian films however I did find myself having a giggle at the terrible creature effects and the unrealistic script. The one star for this movie is attributed to the stunning Queensland scenery and most of the outdoor backdrop shots. To conclude, this could have been an extended episode of home and away which may have had a better reception among those viewers.

Don't waste your time!

Author: plangdon-48221 from UK
14 January 2017

Well that must be the slowest film I have ever had to endure. Seriously it is a nightmare. Want to know how slow exactly? I am actually writing this while it's still on so confident am I that I won't miss anything whilst I multitask. Who the hell writes lines like "The evil one is on the move again". (Just happened to overhear that right mow whilst typing). Aboriginal mythology, arguing brothers, one of the party a druggie,a pin up tanned teen swimming in the ominous creek..... Could it get any more clichéd? What I cannot understand is how supposedly imaginative writers cannot come up with anything original these days. Enough with the groups of youngsters partying in haunted houses/asylums or mythical aboriginal creatures PLEASE!

Awesome Australian Movie

Author: tammy151 from Australia
26 August 2016

I came into this movie not knowing what to expect. The cast had assured me this wasn't the typical scary monster film and they were most definitely right!!

This movie showed two brothers in a fun and innocent (mostly) light. And they stayed true to the traditional Aussie spirit, with dialogue and actions. The overviews of the rugged terrain and sweeping farming properties gave the film another level of authenticity.

The monster was probably the best part of the whole film. Tying it into local Indigenous myth and cultures, and the large number of Indigenous actors (from large roles to small roles) was brilliant!

This isn't your typical monster film, and has a level of depth behind many of the plot points you don't normally see in this film genre. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed!!