Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Disappointing and dorky

Author: Rachel Gerstner
4 September 2016

I was pretty disappointed with this movie. My disappointment started off with April needing to download some information from this scientist but she has to follow this other guy to get close enough. Well, she could have just followed behind him nonchalantly, but no, she has to put on this skimpy school girl outfit while walking and pretend to be part of this other group of cheerleaders or something. Well, her pants seem to just magically disappear in one scene to the next. It was pretty pointless and senseless, and it was just a scene to say, hey look how hot she is.. groans. Which brings me to my next point of how terrible Megan Fox's acting is. They just seem to throw her in there for mostly eye candy and nothing else. Why do they keep putting her in movies??? But it doesn't stop there. The entire movie was well, dorky at best. The pace was a bit fast even though the movie was really long. Also, how the hell did Donatello access an alien spaceship and get the name of the leader?? That doesn't even make sense. The language would be completely foreign and, well, too alien to even decipher if it were even able to connect to it somehow. Also, there isn't enough rhino or pig DNA in us to make a pig/man or rhino/man, it's just not possible. Nothing in this movie makes sense. This movie is just too kiddy and cartoony but even the original cartoon series made more sense then this crap.

I decided to give this 5 stars because it has good graphics and is kinda funny sometimes. If all you are looking for is cheap thrills and cool CGI action scenes, then you may enjoy this. But if you like a movie with substance, look somewhere else.

The sequel that nobody asked for...?

Author: Drumavarium from Argentina
4 September 2016

First of all I guess most people didn't ask for a sequel of TMNT, come on. Or at least, no one was excited about another one. But if you decide to produce/direct a new one, why is this a copy/paste from other movies?? Was it necessary?? The sound effects are EXACTLY THE SAME from all Transformers movies. And also they called Jablonsky for the music, which of course is EXACTLY THE SAME from Transformers. And the best and most innovative idea: "a portal". LOL! Looks like the portal must be a cast member from these type of movies. New ideas? Anyone? Michael Bay, I assume you were too involved, stop doing this. Lack of compromise and a bunch of lazy people have produced/directed this movie, which as you see, wasn't necessary.

TMNT 2 Out of the Shadows honors the "cartoon spirit"

Author: Kevin Tan from Philippines
5 June 2016

TMNT 2 is silly and flamboyant enough to work as a live-action cartoon movie. It embraces its crazy plot (the story operates in a world where mutant turtles have been taught martial arts by a mutant rat, 'nuff said). However, the film suffers a lot of what we can call "convenient circumstances" — unaddressed plot holes are deliberately ignored by forgetting events and characters being conveniently placed at locations to advance the plot without explanation whatsoever. Also, it may be nitpicking but there's no attempt to explain how these turtles become experts in crafting CIA-level tech.

The level of humor in this film is clearly catered to a young audience. For adults, you may get a healthy dose of nostalgia if you were once that kid who were really into the cartoons, otherwise you'll find the script stale. The fun interactions between the brothers are still present but what gives them more depth here is when they start to experience teenage anxiety – issues of belonging and identity. I'm keeping it vague so as not to spoil anything, but yes, they actually have a subplot this time! Sadly, things aren't sustained as the film rushes through, ending it in favor of a big climactic action sequence.

Speaking of action sequences, the movie never strays away from the basic Michael Bay blockbuster formula (he's the producer, of course): over-the-top CGI-heavy destruction, one action set piece after another. If the first TMNT movie offers a fun-filled chase down a snowy mountain, the most adrenaline-pumping action sequence here starts with skydiving and ends with a waterfall jump. The film also takes the liberty in ripping-off previous blockbusters – a retrofitted garbage-slash-war truck (Mad Max), a via inter-dimensional sky portal alien invasion (The Avengers) and a police car chase/prisoner escape scene (The Dark Knight and Fast and Furious). And as if to acknowledge the debt, Raphael mutters to himself, "What would Vin Diesel do?"

Remarkably, there is an improvement in the CGI department, more specifically with the look of the ninja turtles – less gritty, more friendly-looking. The voice actors are not to be faulted in giving better distinction to their characters' personalities –the leader (Leo), the muscle (Raph), the brains (Donnie) and the wild one (Mikey). And just to make sure that viewers won't be confused again, they are re-introduced twice in the film (which is odd). Megan Fox, as the main human protagonist, however still fails in-I can't believe I'm about to say this- effectively engaging the audience. She fares better as an anti-hero or villain (Jennifer's Body). Her sex appeal is even pushed to a breaking point during an inexplicable costume change scene to a sexy school-girl outfit to keep the males awake. Will Arnett's character Vern, sidelined as an comic-relief is a good choice for he does little to advance the plot. Stephen Amell obviously got the role of Casey Jones due to his physical work in "Arrow" and the fact that they needed someone equally attractive as Fox. He does his best, especially in action scenes, but him joining forces with the turtles is rushed and poorly done. Shredder, recast with Brian Tee, returns as a human and not some sort of a transformer is still lackluster as a villain. Super-villain Krang who looks hideous and remotely realistic could've better served with a more fleshed-out backstory. Of all the villains, arguably the comical mutant duo, Bebop and Rocksteady, steal the show.

There is no doubt that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is better in nearly every way than its predecessor. It is turtle-focused and it re-wires the franchise to the right direction. I am not all "Cowabunga!" for this sequel (the plot still rots my brains), but if you're looking for two hours of frothy entertainment and 'Bay'-esque action sequences are your guilty pleasure, bring some pizzas because you're in to a one (s)hell of a ride.

Full review: http://goo.gl/xoNRno

This is not even a movie to watch when sick.

Author: sethtrickshoot from The belly of the beast
8 September 2016

You know the feeling. Fever and ill. You think OK, lets watch some easily digestible movies. I choose the two new Turtle movies. I was pleasantly surprised while watching the first one. It actually was pretty true to the original comic even it it wasn't as dark. Then this one was up. And what an awful followup. i actually regret wasting my time watching this.. and i have the fever! For crying out loud. Why... i mean.. Shredder isn't even a big part of this movie. In the first he is a skilled warrior and in this he is but a legman.

No this isn't OK. i don't want to live in a world where the Twilight saga is a better alternative then the Turtles?

What happened? I was actually going to watch batman vs Superman now, but i cant take any more crap. I don't care how bad ass you are. if you see an alien who wants to strike a deal with you about world domination then first give it more then 2 secs of thinking time. seriously. Was this movie written by an 10 year old?? Oh yeah i guess so. its a Nicolodian jam! Thank you for destroying yet another childhood IP.

Spoiler warning: This movie sucks!

/Seth Out!

fair

Author: WoodBangers Entertainment from United States
24 September 2016

Okay…. So we broke down and watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016), we didn't have high hopes in the beginning as the trailer and of course the previous film; but we did give it a shot.

Now before I begin this, I want to point out that I know it takes a ton of work and a lot of people working to manage this type of films; especially all of the cgi involved as most of this film is in green screen with a ton of outsourcing to do all of the art to save funds; and it shows in the film. Let's begin…

We didn't go to the theaters to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016), for two reasons the first being we were way too busy, and the second it wouldn't have held our attention as upon watching it that was proved true. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016) is not a bad film, it's fair; they just got completely sidetracked trying to piece the real actor scenes in with the created animated work that the glitches show so much it is hard to watch. If I were around the age of 10, this film may have been more enjoyable as it did have that cartoon vibe to it, and of course the Turtle scenes was more like watching the intro videos and cinematic within a video game.

As for the acting, well Megan Fox was put in the Jennifer's Body look again to help keep the eyes on the screen as they spent a lot of time putting her in outfits to keep that going on. Her acting was the same as in every film; so much that you could tell if it were transformers, Jennifer's Body, etc; but she did do well with what was going on. As for the rest of the acting, it was so-so; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016) looks as if all the money went into the art department, Megan Fox; and what was left went into putting the pieces together to make a film.

The story itself, well.. Truthfully they did follow the basic Ninja stories and there isn't quite much that could be done so of course it was up to part; other than the many spots that the story just skips a beat throwing in stuff that didn't belong or well… you'll see if you watch it.

For the hard work that went into the art department we give this film 3 stars

Soul destroying drivel......

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
25 September 2016

It was inevitable that the sequel would be imminent out within a couple of years to keep the memories of the first film fresh in people's minds.

But my memories of that film were of this reboot being a complete waste of time, but with a decent set piece involving snow, and nothing more than a Michael Bay produced cash machine with no soul.

The turtles face a new challenge when Shredder escapes from custody and joins forces with Baxter Stockman, a mad scientist who plans to use a serum to take over the world.

Along for the ride are Bebop and Rocksteady, two dimwitted henchmen who provide plenty of muscle.

Luckily, the turtles have their own allies in April O'Neil, Vernon Fenwick and Casey Jones, a hockey-masked vigilante......

As the pizza-loving heroes prepare for battle, the notorious Krang also emerges to pose an even greater threat.

And this time it's pretty much the same, apart from the fact that there isn't a decent set piece in its ridiculously long running time, in fact, you'd be hard pressed to call this a actual film as it has not coherence, no narrative, it just goes from one place to another, and for a film focusing on giant Ninja Turtles, it's one of the most boring experiences I've had at the cinema this year.

It's a CG nightmare, with soulless, hate worthy characters spouting and idiotic script to lifeless looking CG characters with attitude.

It's as if Bay has just made one long commercial for toys, cars and clothing, and we've had to pay for the pleasure.

But Bay has really outdone himself with this one, it's actually worse than Age Of Exhaustion, and by looking at the box office for this, people are becoming tired of his action movies.

Really, if you were a fan of the Turtles back in the day, seek out Secret Of The Ooze, at least it has Vanilla Ice in it.

Better, but not quite good

Author: Eric Stevenson from United States
30 July 2016

It's weird to think that with something like "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", you might lower your expectations. If something's really popular, shouldn't you make your expectations higher which is why everyone complains about "The Phantom Menace"? Anyway, this movie was just okay, but I will give it props for being an improvement over the original. This is a movie where they just want to put in all the popular characters for the fans. For the most part, it worked out. We got Baxter Stockman, Bebop and Rocksteady, Krang, and Casey Jones. Even though I haven't seen the newer TMNT shows, I still know who all those guys are.

The effects haven't improved much, which is what really weighed this down. A lot of this is stupid action, but the franchise itself was never meant to be that intelligent. Still, the bad seems to outweigh the good as I found the dialogue predictable and it was pretty annoying to hear that tired cliché of people being scared of something they don't understand. The original Ninja Turtles movies just seemed to capture the spirit more. I'll give this movie for once again, having all these characters. They're mostly in character even though Krang should have had more screen time. It's certainly more servicey than a lot of other TMNT media. Maybe I really should get into the newer shows. **1/2

Go Go Technodrome.

Author: thisseatofmars from Canada
14 October 2016

Mindless, superhero, brain candy, zoom. Bad jokes, great effects, explosions go boom.

My neck muscles are tighter than piano wires and I've sweated enough this week to fill a swimming pool. At the end of a long week of mad work, sometimes you just want to sit down and switch off your brain.

So, thank you, turtles. I like it when you hit stuff.

Is this a dumb movie? The obvious answer is yes, of course it's dumb, it's more superhero schlock: kiddie-fare enjoyed by 30-somethings.

But I don't know. Any fight scene with martial arts is a bit like a magician's sleight of hand. It's too fast to follow completely, but if done well we can see sophistication in the movement, and a fight is a bit of a story in itself. There's the setup, escalation of conflict, then boom, resolution. The best parts of this movie are not of the turtles talking but when things go all smashy-smash-smash. Smash.

Smash.

Where the film drags is with its human characters, who have way too much screen time. Casey Jones is a 30-something who talks like a 12-year-old ("Someday, I'm going to be a detective!") and Shredder, regrettably, is mostly without his mask and doesn't throw a single pie. Megan Fox is wearing less makeup this time around, but in "acting," less is more. Baxter Stockman is likable, but doesn't turn into a giant fly.

But it's inoffensive, fun to look at, and a nice thing to shut your brain off to while recovering from a long week of sweaty haste.

Lacking coherence

Author: SpecialNeedsRancor
1 September 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed the first movie in 2014, which this movie was a sequel of. Unfortunately this movie cannot even begin to compete with its original, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1990.

The special effects for Bebop & Rocksteady, the Technodrome, some of the turtles, and Splinter were phenomenal. The actors who played Bebop and Rocksteady were phenomenal. Other than that, this movie dips below any version of the cartoon series, and the 1990 version in terms of writing.

I didn't expect that much out of this Turtles movie, but knew immediately within the opening scenes they were lowering the bar. I came to the conclusion that this series wasn't being made for me anymore.

Casey Jones is this clean-cut homogeneous police officer who doesn't resemble a vigilante whatsoever. Leonardo's changed voice actors, and has essentially given up his leadership position in favor of short weak arguments with the rest of the crew. All the turtle's characterizations are just so slightly off.

In conclusion the turtles are overworked in their visual design, Shredder has zero screen time despite being heavily promoted in this movie, and the turtles just blow away this other worldly force when they couldn't even hang with Shredder's junk in the first movie.

See this if you're a hardcore Turtles fan I guess.

A So-So Popcorn Movie

Author: griffolyon12 from United States
25 June 2016

As a fan of the heroes in a half-shell, I guess I'm just gonna have to accept that this is about as good as this iteration of the Ninja Turtles will get. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is better than its 2014 reboot, but only by a teeny bit.

Out of the Shadows finds the turtles trying to stop the evil Shredder from bringing an alien from another dimension to Earth in order to take over. Along the way, the turtles make a new ally in Casey Jones (played likably by Stephen Amell), go toe-to-toe with two new mutant minions of Shredder (the fan favorite characters Bebop and Rocksteady), and may have run across a mutagen that could potentially turn them into humans.

There is a lot going on here and it's actually a miracle that the movie makes sense for most of its runtime. While there are a few plot holes here and there, there are none quite as gaping as the multiple ones that the first movie had. On top of that, there are some genuinely thrilling action sequences in the movie, with the standout one involving the turtles in their tricked out garbage truck trying to stop Shredder from escaping the 18-wheeler that is transporting him to a different prison.

When it's all said and done, once the original Ninja Turtles theme song plays over the end credits, you realize you actually had fun with Out of the Shadows. While neither of the two movies in this particular iteration match up to the first two Ninja Turtles movies from the Nineties, Out of the Shadows will entertain.

I give Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows a 7 out of 10!

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]