IMDb > "Better Call Saul" Nacho (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Better Call Saul" Nacho (2015)

« Prev | 3 of 30 Episodes | Next »

And the training wheels come off

Author: Graham Smith
16 February 2015

While the first two episodes were good, they still had the flavor of a "Breaking Bad spin off" to them. The third episode in this series completely sheds that crutch and stands on its feet very well. There is not an ounce of filler content.

We learn a little about Saul's criminal past. We see Saul begin to work his genius as the Kettleman plot thickens. And an old (or should I say new) friend has their first meaningful interaction with Saul. I really like the little musical pieces they do with the show about once per episode, and this one is no exception. The last 5-7 minutes were superb.

Excelente!

Author: oliverbjerregaard from Denmark
17 February 2015

I think there's few (screenplay)-writers who can pull off so much dialogue, whilst still being highly entertaining; Tarantino, Cohen-Brothers, Kubrick, Woody Allen, and more. - and then there is Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould.

I think the writing of Better Call Saul is absolutely superb. Many of the scenes are so flawlessly constructed that you want them to simply continue. It's so gripping! (I felt the same way with Breaking Bad and True Detective)

Kudos to the team for making this series. I love every bit of it! Give the show a chance and I think you'll love it!

My vote for this episode: 9.5/10.

The Best Episode So Far!

Author: scriptguy64 from United States
17 February 2015

Better Call Saul's first two episodes didn't appeal to some, who claimed it was both boring and slow. Sure, they may have been slow at times, but overall the story was what really made a difference. Every show has a boring moment or two, and Saul's was towards the beginning. But that doesn't matter now, because Episode 3 seems to be pushing the story in a far more exciting direction. Starting off with a flashback - undisclosed when it occurred - we are immediately thrown into Jimmy's world to see some perspective from his eyes. This episode does no wrong. The characters, the writing, the dialog, the camera-work, the acting... If anything, this episode seems as though it could be pulled straight from the books of Breaking Bad. While Saul may have seemed slow when you were watching Episodes 1 and 2, trust anyone when you hear that things just got better... Call Saul.

Another great episode!

Author: PulpPhiction
17 February 2015

The first three episodes of this series have not only met my at first extremely high expectations, but also absolutely exceeded them. I already find myself every Monday after watching an episode, immediately anticipating next week, and what surprises will no doubt be in store for the rest of the series.

Almost everything about 'Nacho' is spot on. Cinematography? Check. The amount of subtly stunning shots in this show just makes it great to look at. Music? Check. The original score as well as the carefully picked songs just add yet another great quality to the show. Acting? Of course, check. We've already established many great characters alongside the main protagonist Jimmy McGill (Bob Odenkirk), who is of course on point as always.

Overall, to wrap it up, this show just keeps getting better, doesn't it? How it keeps me on the edge of my seat throughout all the episodes, and keeps me in strong anticipation for the next episode during the 6 day interval is beyond me. Great job.

Saul is back!

Author: ydnar123
20 February 2015

The third episode of Better Call Saul really got me engaged. Jimmy McGill is starting to show more sign of the character that we love from Breaking Bad. The intro adds more mystery to the character of Jimmy McGill when we see a conversation between Chuck and Jimmy in jail after a supposed assault committed by Jimmy. I'm very interested to see how that will tie in with the rest of the season. I'm loving the inclusion of Jimmy's newfound client Nacho. I think he's going to be a great character and they keep him around for a while. WE also get to see more from Mike, a character that was already beloved by Breaking Bad fans as he takes more of role in the show than he has had in the first two episodes. I'm very interested in how he will develop. This third episode has really drawn me in and it has persuaded me to continue to watch until the end of the season.

Here's Johnny!

Author: AudioFileZ from United States
18 February 2015

With most of the mandatory intro stuff out of the way "Nacho" feels like a proper episode of Better Call Saul. Full of the snappy repartee we expect we see Saul operating on a some of that mystic higher level which makes his character uniquely watchable.

Not surprisingly, MxGill's seemingly mindless blathering has created an event. A possibly bad one where his idea regarding the Kettleman's hidden money is central. Talk about playing both sides! Not only has McGill baited Nacho to take an interest in money, he's now trying to warn the Kettleman family. In a bit of late-night alcohol dialing McGill also tells one of the Kettleman's attorneys (he likes to have phone sex with her) that her clients are possibly in danger. What is McGill doing? Even McGill doesn't seem to know other than he fears he has set in motion an illegal outcome in which he may have a role. All of this crap, pretty much, comes quickly to reality. In between McGill crosses Mike, the parking attendant, which is both funny and serves to begin their relationship outside of the shortage of parking stickers. This sounds messy, but it's all done creatively with those golden nuggets of humor.

Jimmy is in deep crap with both sides of the law in this one and we get that fantastic "Saul" tap dancing. McGill flashes some real brilliance amidst the bumbling which is just what we as viewers feed off. In the end quite a bit happens within the brilliant insight McGill seems to pull out of his...you know. Great episode with a nugget of a song, Find Out What's Happening by Bobby Bare,setting up the wonderful final scene.

first time viewing episode 3:'NACHO'>>

Author: jwsanfrancisco from United States
27 February 2016

I am trying to deconstruct this episode($7.99/mo sub),the first 5 minutes I didn't get,as i read these reviews,it was a flash forward teaser scene(?) where he is touching bases w/ his brother(also an attorney)for some help in what looks like he is being held on serious charges(not disclosed?)>>I think this episode far surpassed ep1 & ep2 despite the fact that Tuco does not appear(tried to refresh my memory viewing BB,s1,ep7('A No-Rough-Stuff-Type Deal')& s2,ep1['Seven Thirty-Seven'),which recounts the deaths of No-doz & Gonzo(arm got accidentally decapitated,bled to death),victims of Tuco's wrath(?);also,I finally get the incident w/ the body lying behind the dumpster & the Rolex watch(probably fake?);I assume this is a classic 'we found $50,000 in a paper sack,but we need your help to find the rightful owner' scam(but if Saul's beer drinking pal found that wallet,was that counterfeit money he discovered in it?).Saul planted a fake wallet in the alley?;also where he discovers the Kettlemen's in a tent above the house,& spills the laundry bag filled w/ millions;all in all I rate this a 10 out of 10,right up there in BB territory!

This Really Is Getting Great

Author: Ryan Kerr from Scotland
17 February 2015

OVERVIEW This episode was ridiculously engaging. It's the first time I have felt full-blown nostalgia in relation to Breaking Bad. With Nacho now calling on Jimmy for his help to find the Kettleman's embezzled millions, McGill's conscience comes into play. He decides to warn the Kettleman's about the threat for their lives over the money, only for them to disappear. Nacho has now been picked up as the prime suspect , and asks for McGill for lawyer consultation.

NOTEWORTHY MOMENTS This is when I come to my favourite scene in the episode, Nacho threatening Jimmy. This scene is fantastically done, with Michael Mando capturing the angry and fierce emotion Nacho throws on Jimmy, making him know that if he doesn't help and his private business is exposed because of it, he will kill him. Both actors play it so well, the frail characteristics of Jimmy McGill, the calm and collected ferocity of Nacho and with no score in the background it really makes it that more intense. It is the beginning of Jimmy digging himself a very deep whole, which will eventually, I feel, be his downfall.

With reference to this, the first five minutes worked really well. In the flash-forward scene we jump 5 years in the future (I think from Breaking Bad's time (reference to Albuquerque and 'a long drive')), where Chuck is visiting Saul in order to help him in an assault situation. I think this was done intentionally by the writers to establish that Jimmy will fall, and hard.

Other scenes included the manic and paranoid telephone scene as well as the discovery of the Kettleman's by McGill, along with their millions. It also contained the first serious conversation between Mike and Jimmy, re-kindling my love for the two characters from previous.

PERFORMANCES Bob Odenkirk is just getting better as Jimmy McGill, and he is getting a bit more range to play with. However the stand out for me was Michael Mando for the jail scene. He played it so well and you really felt his sincerity for his actions he was wishing on McGill. Jonathan Banks had more lines also and he delivered them in typical sour-faced and angry Mike fashion. Collectively it was well acted by the cast but the first two stood out to me.

VERDICT This is a short review there's not a lot more to say about this episode other than watch it. It's very slow moving, completely enthralling, and the show is getting better and better from every episode. The minor characters are now starting to become fleshed out and they all have a purpose. We had a couple of good hours of TV, we now have the beginning of a great series.

Score: 9.5/10

Let's talk about money

Author: tombombadil1 from Kanpur, india
16 February 2015

First time in Better Call Saul we see real money. Till now, we had only seen it in bit and scraps. For the first time we get a glimpse of what is there on the offer for Saul Goodman, sorry, Jimmy, Jimmy Mcgill.

This was an important episode in many ways. We get a peek into Mike and how he is a street-smart ex-cop. There is a partnership that is developing between him and Jimmy. Still early days, but there is an admiration that the two seem to be building for each other. We all know where that would lead to. I await the next episode eagerly to see how Jimmy is going to convince the Kettleman's to let him embezzle their money.

And yes, the narrative follows the road of Breaking Bad. Saul appears to be in jail five years after the present. The series will now carve a way to reach there, something BB did splendidly. And I am not the only one who thinks that point to be the beginning of Saul Goodman.

The suspense...

Author: njnya from United States
16 February 2015

The 3rd episode has aired.

While it's not quite as exciting or action-packed as the previous episode, it's still very good.

This episode is more about the suspense and mystery, and showcases more of Saul's problem solving abilities.

It has funny parts as usual, especially one with Mike which I won't spoil.

Also, Mike has a slightly bigger role in this episode other than just managing the parking garage (although we see that too).

Overall, definitely a good one.