IMDb > Krampus (2015/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Krampus

Krampus More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The next horror cult classic

Author: Thomas Kent from Cambridge, England
1 December 2015

Honestly Universal should be paying me for the amount of hype i've created for this film among my friends and their friends. I was without a doubt super excited for Krampus for two reasons. Firstly it's a horror film that isn't from Blumhouse, honestly with every horror film these days being "from the producers of Paranormal activity, Insidious and The Purge" I was starting to think Jason Blum made a pact with the devil to produce all mainstream horror films. Secondly this was the kind of film I hadn't seen in ages, something along the lines of Gremlins but more horror focused was what I've been wanting for a long time. So after seeing Krampus I was not disappointed at all. Was it a horror masterpiece on par with The Exorcist? No it wasn't but thats not at all what I wanted. I wanted a fun imaginative horror film and one that finally does justice to the long overlooked legend of Krampus. The idea of a Christmas horror film is nothing new but all the well known ones (Black Christmas, Silent Night Deadly Night) are always slasher films with human villains when Christmas had it's own traditional villain with Krampus why has it taken so long to bring him to the big screen?

But anyway Krampus is unlike any film i've really seen before it's both lighthearted and funny but also surprisingly horrifying. I mean it when I say there's some nightmare fuel in this film even if i didn't find it that scary It is still in my opinion a legitimate horror. The Visit proved to me that horror and comedy can mix well. When a horror film is 100% serious thats OK as long as it's warranted. When a horror film takes itself too seriously though it can make it a boring watch. A great comparison is A Nightmare On Elm Street from 1984 and it's remake in 2010 the remake was largely panned because it was too serious while dealing with some ridiculous subject matter whereas the original made it into some morbid humour which worked much better. Krampus does the same although it is obviously more of a comedy than Elm Street.

Krampus himself looks fantastic being made entirely of practical effects and carries a great presence in may opinion he is a classic horror villain in the making. Of course he isn't alone and is accompanied by demonic toys and wicked elves who's sadistic and playful nature makes for some truly horrifying visuals. Oddly enough though this is still a Christmas movie and does manage to bring me those warm holiday feelings. I think this film in it's own right will hold a special place in my heart as a holiday movie with a wickedly twisted side that I just loved so much.

In conclusion Krampus won't win Oscars but I think if you go in wanting to have fun and experience some scares along the way you'll be more than satisfied. Krampus is one hell of a Christmas gift.

Good actual horror.

Author: mavoro from Germany
25 November 2015

Since no one written a review its on me i guess.

I really Enjoyed the Movie so sorry if i don't really have much negative to say.

The Good:

-Scary scenes are actually scary. (suspence build up pretty well, i liked seeing the "Monster" which I usually dislike in other Horror Movies)

-Krampus is pretty accurate. (And Scary)

-Additions to the old myth are either working well or are too funny to not include.

-Brings the world closer to the real old Christmas we "enjoy" in central Europe.

-Funny half of the movie working well.

-Scary half works perfectly fine.

-Overall pretty good contrast to the rest of the commercial holiday.

The Bad:

-Maybe a little slow on the start.

-Maybe overall a bit too harsh for some viewers. (but no blood or overuse of the F Word, but still pretty scary but the closer the end the more serious it gets with less comedy)

The cinema was pretty much enjoying it some people hated it i guess. But i felt it was quite good and had a good evening.

I would say overall if i wanted to watch Krampus in the very beginning, which i didn't intend to, i would be happy with the actual Movie.

It Keeps its Promises and does very well what it intends to do. Don't expect something like Tucker and Dale, Shawn of the Dead or Braindead more a mix of Jeepers Kreepers and and regular Christmas Comedy, but does this much better. (i disliked jeepers creepers and all this Christmas comedy but liked this)

A horror comedy that isn't scary...or funny

Author: d_stack04 from United States
14 December 2015

As a frequent cinema goer I can appreciate when a filmmaker tries something new. I like it when a movie takes a risk. But it is called a risk for a reason. Michael Dougherty took some risks with Krampus and while I admire the effort, I didn't care for the resulting product.

Krampus is that movie that tries just a little too hard. Everything feels forced. The comedy. The "scary" moments. This movie desperately wants to be this generation's Gremlins and it isn't. Not by a long shot.

This movie is not without its positives. The actors in this movie do a very good job and I was very close to caring about their characters' fates. But the good acting is wasted on the movie thanks to its clichéd dialogue. And the exception of this would be Conchatta Farrell. She plays the same loud, brash, sarcastic old broad that she annoyed us with for years on Two and a Half Men. I can't help but think that a better actress who could play the type of character they were aiming for, like a Kathy Bates, would have made the character more sympathetic and the movie a little better.

The biggest problem with this movie is it doesn't ever really decide if it's a horror or a comedy. It gets more serious at the end as horror comedies naturally do but by that time you really don't care about these characters. It was a horror movie that didn't make you root for the bad guy per se, but man was I waiting for everyone to die. There are scenes where these people are getting attacked by their toys (yeah, I know. Stupid.) and you can't tell if you're supposed to laugh or be terrified. I laughed at how unterrifying the creatures were but I'm sure that wasn't the filmmaker's intent.

And as for the creatures, once again I appreciate the deviation from the norm and using practical effects, but they are really cheesy and look too puppet-y. First off, we see some toys come to life and attack the family. Sounds like a real scary Christmas scenario. But the toys that come to life are a jack in the box; something that hasn't been under a Christmas tree in about 50 years, a porcelain doll that wouldn't be a suitable gift for ANY of the female characters, and an obviously CGI killer teddy bear. But my biggest complaint is the actual Krampus creature itself. The movie shows you flashes of the villain and even got me excited to see what this thing looks like. Then when they show the Krampus it looks like a prop from a local theater production. At that point, I wish they had never shown him, the mystery would have been way better.

The movie's story is just flat out inconsistent. For a good while you forget about the Krampus completely because of the endless attacks from his minions. You never get any kind of explanation as to where everyone else in this town went to. The grandma character was most frustrating. They used the very annoying foreign language ploy to get more dialogue on the page. As in the character says something in a foreign language, another character asks what they said and yet ANOTHER character translates. See how I just wasted three sentences to explain something that could have been done with one? Yeah, THAT annoying. She also happens to be the living exposition machine. Why is this happening? Grandma will explain after the fact when saying this earlier might have saved a person's life but whatever, I guess. And at the end they kill off about 4 or 5 characters within a matter of seconds. It's as if they realized they had too many survivors at the end and just sloppily had the creature take them out.

The most disappointing aspect of the film is its comedy, or lack thereof. I know how subjective comedy is but you see every joke coming from a mile away like you do this film's jump scares. Maybe it's the Conchatta Farrell thing bothering me still but the jokes feel like they were written by the staff of Two and a Half Men. It's just set up, break, punchline, repeat. They never take advantage of any physical comedy that could come out from a story like this.

Overall, you could see that everyone really tried on this movie but the execution left so much to be desired. I wouldn't recommend seeing this in a theater simply from a financial standpoint. If you're still curious about this one by the time it gets to disc, go ahead and rent it if only to feed your curiosity. No offense but if you're a teenager you might really enjoy this one. I saw plenty of teens enjoying this one and laughing at the jokes I groaned over. So who knows? Maybe I'm just too old for this one.

4 out of 10 stars

Krampus is exactly what we need.

Author: Jgirl2688 from United States
6 December 2015

I first heard of the story of Krampus from a Christmas episode of American Dad!, and I've been surprised that none of the reviews I watched online for this film mentioned that since it's the one of the only times Krampus is mentioned in pop culture. Perhaps now that this movie is out, we will hear more about him. I sure hope so, because this is the perfect Christmas tale for the kids and families out there. It's a story that we could all benefit from, in fact.

The film starts out by showing us the insanity that we all know as Christmas shopping. It's all about how materialism and family strife can wreak havoc on our emotions during holidays. The problems all trickle down to the children, who should really be enjoying and celebrating the season instead of getting caught up in the stress the adult deal with. So, our main character rips up his letter to Santa, and wishes for all of this to be over with.

Krampus, being the evil side of Christmas, grants the wish. The characters are slowly plunged into a horror story. Their Christmas story becomes a story of survival. Will they be able to get along for the sake of surviving Christmas?

There were only a few things that I really had a problem with. That's why it gets an 8 instead of a 9 or 10. The first reason comes from the fact that I am a serious horror fan, and felt disappointed at the lack of blood and gore in the film. That reason may keep some genre fans away, but also makes the film more accessible to the kid and family audience, whom the film is really for. The other problem I had with the film was with the editing during the scenes with Krampus' helpers, because it was quite jumpy and made it hard to see everything going on the entire time.

Again, this is a good movie. I highly recommend it as one of the best new family Christmas movies. Krampus is exactly what we need to balance out the holiday. This will definitely be remembered as more than just another holiday themed horror movie. It will, hopefully, become a staple for Christmas viewing.

A Very Good throwback to 80s horror.

Author: jonathanmark-77048 from United States
7 December 2015

Plot: A boy who has a bad Christmas ends up accidentally summoning a Christmas demon to his family home.

This was a fun movie to watch, the kind of film I've been wanting to see done with much love and respect to the fans of the genre. Each of the cast does a good job portraying their characters even if the characters are not the friendliest people in the world. The practical effects are terrific and are a huge relief from all the CGI these days. Even though I don't hate CGI, a lot of filmmakers tend to overuse it these days. This film only used CGI when necessary which is something that most filmmakers should learn.

I only have 2 problems hence why I gave this an 8 and that is the ending is kind of weak and not every joke worked for me, but that's it. This film is a really good throwback to the 80s with a really good cast, script, story and great practical effects. Please go see this, these type of films need to be made nowadays, not reboots of movies and TV shows.

'Twas the night Krampus entered my life and surprised me tonight!

Author: The Cinematic Mind (TheCinematicMind) from United Kingdom
6 December 2015

The Cinematic Mind reviews Krampus (Dougherty, USA, 2015) ****/*****

A few days before Christmas, we meet a dysfunctional family who are not getting on very well. A young boy (Emjay Anthony) loses the hope and spirit of Christmas because the holidays aren't the same as they used to be with his family and proceeds to destroys a letter he wrote to Santa Claus triggering the release of a massive blizzard and the summoning of the titular Christmas folklore demon who strikes against the family and it isn't alone.

From 2007's Trick 'r Treat director and screenwriter Michael Dougherty, this is the second holiday themed horror film he has done. This sub- genre is known as the X-MAS Horror! For me, they are very mixed-bag for me! My favourite would easily be Black Christmas (1974) in my life as one of cinema's most underrated slashers of the 1970's with one of the most bone chilling endings in a horror film and Gremlins, enough said. Others include The Nightmare Before Christmas, Christmas Evil and Silent Night Deadly Night (I consider it a little overrated). The potential is huge but also can be a task to handle. However, this is movie besides Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale are the greatest modern X-MAS horror films of recent times considering I was making fun of the title alone and thought it would be TV movie quality. The results altered once the film began.

The setup is a brilliant throwback to the stereotypical mean-spirited family from Christmas Vacation and Home Alone and a great satire on consumerism taking over the holidays with a riot at a Shopping Mall with "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas" by Bing Crosby in the background. Ahh! The lost of being vintage and nostalgic. I call glorious irony.

The acting is surprisingly strong. Adam Scott as the classic overworking father, Toni Collette as the anguish wife and David Koechner as the overbearing mean spirited uncle who provide great conflict in a dysfunctional nightmare at each other. Even the child performances not once cringe me at all! Once the characters start to realise what the following events are taking place and coming to learn lessons about the actual meaning of Christmas, I quote I dropped in awe. A celebration gift to all the memorable horror films and Christmas horror films of the 80's/90's.

From Gremlins, The Evil Dead to Poltergeist, Nightmare Before Christmas and one of my favourite scenes, a homage to Rankin/Bass with a back-story of Krampus presented in animation. The comedy is hilariously quotable. Mainly from the cynical drunk great aunt played by Conchata Ferrell. However, it never ruins the thrills of the suspense and creativity of the creatures the film thrown at us. For my universal acclaim, the production design, the music score by composer Douglas Pipes and the practical effects of Krampus and the minions brings to life the dark corners of Christmas in a way I wanted to experience. From the vintage jingles to the chilling suspense pieces. This is an example of me wanting to check out the art of Krampus and resulting in myself in collapsing all over the designs. They took the budget of $15 million and the crew carry out this stimulating picture given on what they had on their shoulders.

However, why do I did prefer Trick 'r Treat still more? Simple! The execution wasn't fully there. Krampus felt underused at times! When Krampus is in it, my mind is blown away in excitement, I wanted to discover the hellish nightmare of Krampus. There might had been a little too much of the minion/toys more than Krampus. There needed to be more set pieces with the character without this disjointed middle. Also, the ending nearly irritated me as it nearly involved one of my most hated cliques in horror history until the rest of the ending happened, it at least never destroyed the ending with the message of the film and what it turns out to be. I wanted a little more than that because I felt it could had a longer runtime. It breathe a sequel that could happen.

Still, I'll consider this during a time where most expensive Horror films are underwhelming unintentional comedies with ugly third rate CGI, Dougherty and his crew decided to continue the practical dream to us Horror fans and brought us a dark and fun early Christmas gift! In conclusion, 'Twas the night Krampus entered my life and surprised me tonight! Merry Christmas and let's hope the force would awake and rise. Tell me what you think of my review.

Autistic Reviewers opinion on this movie.

Author: autisticreviewers from Australia
11 December 2015

Wow! Now this is a Horror cult classic! I haven't seen a movie like this in years! It was certainly a great surprise! While people compare this movie to Gremlins I guarantee you it is nothing like Gremlins. This movie is its own movie! The acting was top notch, even when there were elements of cheesiness that occurred they all managed to keep it great! The director also did "Trick Or Treat" which is another Halloween cult classic. But Krampus surpasses "Trick Or Treat" by a long shot. The story was good, and it keeps you really glued to the screen wandering what will happen next. There are also many scenes that are hilarious. Most of the humour came from Aunt Dorothy.

Many people online will complain that the characters/actors were too unbelievable and so unlikeable. This is the whole point of the movie. This is a story of a broken with family with no love, no respect and no desire to love Christmas. And then Krampus comes to town!

The Practical Effects were used so well. I like the fact there was no CGI used for this movie (with the exception of the Ginger Bread Men). It's kept old school, and it never fails to amaze us.

Without spoiling anything...the story does start out quite slow. But as soon as the blizzard hits...you know you're in for the roller-coaster ride. Kramous's minions are awesome and scary, to say the least! When Krampus's appears his face will give you nightmares! The ending was very original and very unexpected. I really hope this becomes a movie (like Home Alone) that comes on TV every year for all of us to appreciate the spirit of Christmas! All in all, it is a cult classic and it was quite a surprise on how good it was. Had no idea this would be a movie I would love so much. Really highly recommended! 4.5/5 stars. -Autistic Jay

Great Horror Film with Some Christmas Comedy

Author: Octavien from United States
4 December 2015

Going into this movie I expected it to be a horror comedy with more comedy than horror. I was wrong.

Like many horror films this film starts out light and then becomes continually darker. The start is a great parody of modern day Christmas and rather funny. The movie gets darker fast and the middle produces a great mixture of light comedy and dark horror. The last third is surprisingly dark. The end you'll either hate or love.

Horror fans will be glad they have a movie to watch every holiday season. Those seeking more comedy will be disappointed but not by much.

The cast is excellent and the performances by Scott and Koechner stand out. Ferrell and Tolman provide great side characters. The rest of the cast provide good performances with none making me wish there was another in their place. Characters are well written and the development is one of the best in a horror film. Characters are supposed to mimic family and much like many Christmas stories the family is more likable as it progresses.

The plot is decent. A warning to commercialism like most Christmas movies and specials these days except much darker. The horror in the film plays like a home invasion. There are pure comedic moments that don't ruin the tone of the movie. There are pure horror moments that sets the tone. There are only a few horror/comedy mix moments allowing a dark tone for the movie without being too outlandish.

The only problems I had was with the lack of subtitles and need for Max/Tom to translate for the German grandma and the ending will give you mixed feelings.

Come for horror and stay because Krampus leaves you with a nice present under the tree.

Krampus (7/10)

Author: skybrick736 from Waconia, Minnesota
10 July 2016

Christmas usually a time of cheerfulness and presents thanks to the jolly Santa is flipped upside down when Krampus comes to town. The events follow an obnoxious family, who are crude in their comedy, and have poor decision making. Funny man Adam Scott and horror vet Toni Collette make a unique couple but are relied upon heavily being the only serious roles written for the film. There is an appropriate blend of comedy and horror, which is seen in the absurdity of characters, evil gingerbread men, and killer toys, not so much the written dialogue. Once Krampus is seen fully his appearance is pretty cool looking like an old decrepit vile Santa. The ending was rather a letdown but overall it was a decent fun horror flick. It would be best to watch Krampus during Christmas time because it does have a great holiday feel to it, worthy of a watch for sure.

Meeehhhh....

Author: 851222 from Lithuania
10 April 2016

Greetings from Lithuania.

"Krampus" (2015) is sometimes kinda pretty creepy, sometimes a little scary, sometimes a little funny movie that eventually gets boring by trying to be different and by doing that, it quickly becomes very average. It is not a bad movie by any means, but it's just so ... average. There is nothing in it that you would like to return for a second viewing and nothing that you would be glued to your screen during first viewing.

Overall, "Krampus" tries to be scary and kinda original Cristmas movie, and sometimes it succeeds, but mostly it doesn't by the end i didn't care what will happen to one or another two dimensional character. It is not a bad movie, but it's a quickly forgettable one.

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]