IMDb > "Sherlock" The Lying Detective (2017) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Sherlock" The Lying Detective (2017)

« Prev | 14 of 15 Episodes | Next »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Bloody Brilliant !! I am truly Sherlocked.

Author: Venkatraman Srinivasan from Chennai
8 January 2017

The Lying Detective - Spoiler FREE Review I woke up at 2.30 AM IST to watch this episode through a screen sharing with my UK friend.

This is bloody brilliant in a non linear screen play! The whole episode is so intense with scenes from two story tracks sandwiched and that adds to the thrill.

For the first time since start of Sherlock, i was so connected and felt convinced for Sherlock's value for inter personal relationship.

Everything about acting, editing, CGI & story were top notch. The villain deserves a special applause for I felt like punching him straight on face. Loved the scenes wherein Sherlock will be explaining his findings to a lady. The CGI coupled with the brilliance will definitely make the viewers say WOW.

There are several moments where an ardent Sherlock fan would get an intense shock! The suspense towards the end of the episode is retained and so everyone will go crazy for sure on Next Sunday !! Don't miss a live episode on Sherlock website on Tuesday.

Verdict: This episode found the perfect balance.

Love for Sherlock from Chennai, India.

I wish the creators and Benedict/Martin do more seasons each year. Though it is far fetched, I would really love to see Benedict living the role of Sherlock. To me, he is SHERLOCK. I am SHERLOCKED forever !

This makes us forgive the previous lazy episode

Author: Amr Ahmed from Gotham aka Cairo
8 January 2017

I have to say after last week episode i was a little angry. We wait more than a year to enjoy a season for two weeks. If our expectations are high it's because that's what we expect from the show's brilliant writers. In this episode the writers got back to their level; making up for last week lazy episode. I like the direction of making Sherlock feels more like a human and not a robot. That is why "The woman" episode will still be my favorite. However, This week's episode brought back my connection to the characters specially the relation between Sherlock & Watson. Martin Freeman angry acting skills are exceptional. Toby Jones adds the needed balance in the show between the Sherlock brothers. Talk about unlimited Ego. The episode holds together and the pace is elevated in the right rate towards the end. Can't wait for next week episode and I wish it makes up for the long wait we will have afterwards till the fifth season which i think will be the final one. Sadly.

Clever! Absolutely Unpredictable

Author: Harley Quinn from London, England
8 January 2017

Brilliantly executed, well written, astonishingly well acted. Cumberbatch's acting was on point, as always, but was given a little bit more opportunity to display it. Toby Jones was as chilling as a Villain could be, leaves Magnussen jealous. A very good addition to the Sherlock Holmes list of villains. It is really quite dark, and at times makes you very uncomfortable, as promised. It left me quite puzzled. Comedic relief was also great, light headed, ironic humour as always. Brilliant lines for all the characters. Really loved the mind palace scenes. Overall clever. I can't complain. I'd say it is up there amongst the top three Sherlock episodes. I really hope the third one isn't a disappointment after this great episode, they've really set the bar high.

My best episode of Sherlock

Author: Shashwat Adhikari from Nepal

>>>>>>>There are no spoilers<<<<<<<

Just the twist. That final reveal in the last two minutes of the episode - that's what made me write this review. I am sure, in the future when someone talks twists in TV series, this episode will be their benchmark. And why not? It has one of the most intriguing twists one can possibly imagine it. There is no way one can anticipate that would happen at the end.

But beside the large twist, the entire episode is a roller coaster ride. We see this episode from within Sherlock's mind, similar to the "Abominable Bride", but this time he is high on drugs. So, we travel along with Sherlock's confused state of mind when we ourselves have to deduce most of the information. The writers wanted to involve the audiences as much as possible here, giving us raw information, and letting us deduce the outcome. It was brilliant.

Hats off to the entire team of Sherlock. I am looking forward to seeing the final episode of this season next week.

Best Sherlock episode?

Author: John Silver from Sea
9 January 2017

This is probably my favorite Sherlock episode, it had a Hannibal Season 2 feel with all the visuals and "what is going on" vibe, we can't really fully understand what is happening but guess until the show reveals it and is amazing.

I have to admit I'm not a Sherlock fan, I love the show productions and the actor are great but the story/writing most of the time felt weird and force, this time might not be that different but definitely took the show to a new place.

I found the previous episode kind of regular but now I realize it was necessary to set everything on the table and this one take full exploits of those elements.

Oh My Gosh!

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
9 January 2017

This is one of the finest hour and a half periods I have ever spent watching a screen. After a rather pedestrian beginning last week, I thought that perhaps the madness that was Sherlock may have been derailed. Benedict Cumberbatch is everywhere these days. He has become one of our premier actors. So in my mind I thought perhaps he had to phone this one in. Just the opposite. With Watson grieving and being pulled every which way, Sherlock begins the process of facing off against a criminal named Culverton, who is probably as vicious and ugly as any of the villains I've seen. He sells things, he basically owns a hospital where the employees are terrified of him, and he is seen as a great humanitarian. Somewhere along the line, Holmes realizes that the man is a serial killer. It makes the newspapers and instead of being indignant, Culverton invites Sherlock and Watson to visit the children at the hospital. What transpires is one of the wittiest, most delicately constructed plots I have ever encountered. Every twist and turn is done with care and precision. I can't give away too much, but there is a bonus as well. We are left with something unexpected to propel us into the third episode. Perhaps the best thing on television.

A great episode

Author: Abhyuday Singh from India
9 January 2017

Most of the people were pretty much disappointed by last week's episode and were convinced that 2nd season was the last good season of the show. No promise of goodness was shown in the last episode and it presented itself as wastage of time as they only have 3 episodes per season. But after this episode, it seems that the previous episode was just a clever move to tease the audience as the writers knew that they'd be able to more than make up for it. This epitomizes the Sherlock we all love and wait for. CGI was incredible: the slow motion shots were well placed to represent the scenario appropriately. It was fun to see Sherlock as Quicksilver(I have a feeling that John Smith was somewhere involved in all this). Really, a fabulous use of technology. The acting also was unparalleled. Everybody expects a few deductions here and there, but this episode showed the emotional connect between John and Sherlock. Toby Jones did a good job being despicable. Desperately waiting for the last episode, more because of its name.

Its Brilliant, unless if you compare it with your expectations

Author: shashwatkhanna from India
9 January 2017

Well, let's all admit that waiting for more than two years and being greeted by an episode like the six thatchers, wasn't fair. Well, if you are like me, you probably had your expectations high too. Unfortunately, thinking like that, will always leave you disappointed after each episode.

This episode was brilliant. Stepping up from the previous episode, THE LYING DETECTIVE featured the most famous fictional detective of all time. Sherlock is back with his quick deductions and doesn't fail to entertain you. Just like in the novels, he misses some points which we come to know about in the end, which makes the first Episode (Season 4) even better.

I love how the episodes are linked, and to those people who had questions in the first episode, I'm sure they would be answered till now. However, the mystery still prevails over Moriarty, which I think would be an integral part of the third episode. Considering, this season would be the last one(Which I gather from the rumors), we might expect a thrilling and fulfilling third episode.

Sherlock gets back to basics in exciting and unpredictable ways

Author: ryanjmorris
8 January 2017

Well if any viewers of Sherlock don't suffer whiplash going from last week's episode into tonight's then I'd like to speak to them personally. I try to maintain a level of professionalism and sophistication on this blog, but can you allow me just this one? Please? Okay. YES SHERLOCK. THAT IS HOW YOU DO IT. Okay I'm done. I just... I needed that. Sherlock used to be such a great show and over the last few years it's deteriorated badly. To see it recapture even a hint of its former glory would be satisfying, but to watch as it basically evolves back into the show it once was? That felt good. "The Lying Detective" isn't perfect, and we'll get the gripes out of the way first, but to have an episode this tense and playful and unpredictable and have it not sacrifice any important character work is damn exciting. Steven Moffat doesn't always get it right, but when he does, he makes something special. "The Lying Detective" has a few too many wobbles to sit among his greatest work, but it's by a wide margin the show's strongest episode since "The Reichenbach Fall".

Let's talk through some of what didn't work. Once again, this episode's flaws lie with Mary Watson. Mary died last week, and while her initial appearances in the episode work to join the dots between instalments and successfully demonstrates John's deteriorating mental state, "The Lying Detective" eventually leans on this gimmick far too much. By the time the episode reaches its endgame and Sherlock and John are talking in their old flat, Mary's presence feels unnatural. In what should be a moving and emotional scene, Mary circles around the frame like a hawk eyeing up prey. Amanda Abbington plays the part well, as she always does, but Moffat's script writes itself into a bit of a corner with her. When we reach the episode's final scene, we need to come back to the woman from the bus from last week in order for that reveal to land properly, and having John work through that issue just minutes beforehand does the job. It's a case of sacrificing one important scene to make another important scene work more efficiently. Sherlock and John's proper reunion isn't an ideal scene for this sacrifice to land on, and I couldn't help but feel frustrated in the moment, but it at least allows for a strong cliffhanger for the episode to end on.

And that cliffhanger is a big part of what makes this episode of Sherlock so effective. Unpredictability. It's simply impossible to hazard any guess as to which direction "The Lying Detective" is headed in, and that's why it's so exhilarating. At one moment it's entirely possible to believe that Sherlock has succumbed to too much drug use coupled with his depression and imagined everything, and five minutes later it's like watching a completely new story. But it works, When Sherlock can focus on its titular character well enough, as it does here, it can pull us through a bizarre combination of scenes and tones and stories with ease. Benedict Cumberbatch was on top form tonight. He always plays Sherlock well - even in the show's poorest episodes, the performances remain strong - but the range of material he works through in "The Lying Detective" is insane, and yet he succeeds. This iteration of Sherlock Holmes is an unpredictable person. When he can be fully utilised in an unpredictable episode, Cumberbatch is able to fully let loose and explore everything going through his character's mind. His performance here makes a strong claim to be his best work on the show thus far.

While it isn't without its flaws, Moffat's script is largely what keeps this episode moving so efficiently. In this ninety minutes he packs in a wealth of material: there's humour, there's emotion, there's drama, there's twists, there's nice character development, there's fun callbacks to previous episodes that perfectly connect to where the characters are in the present. The best episodes of TV manage to bring in a tonne of stuff and remain focused, and that's exactly what "The Lying Detective" does. Moffat brought his A-game with him to this and, after last week's embarrassment courtesy of Mark Gatiss, I couldn't be more relieved. "The Lying Detective" may stumble occasionally with its handling of a few things, but it's almost all forgiven due to how effective the episode is on the whole. This episode demonstrates just what Sherlock can do when it understands what kind of show it should always be - a detective show that makes use of exciting and unique characters. For the first time since season two, I was gripped for the full ninety minutes. I laughed, I gasped, and by the end of it, I almost wanted to applaud. We don't know for how long but for the time being at least, Sherlock is back. It's about damn time.

Could be the best of Sherlock

Author: Georges DeChatzois from France
8 January 2017

Weren't for the first episode of the 2nd season, I would suggest this for the best one of the series. It's a tie. This is an amazing episode, definitely a lot better than the previous one. Moffat portrays both Sherlock's and John's demons and inner wars in a brilliant way. This is what I expect from Sherlock. To be astonished and surprised at the last moment, when you think that everything is over and suddenly everything is explained in such a magnificent way that you can only ask for more, while you clear your mind from every other thought and simply focus on the screen to enjoy those specific mind- blowing scenes. Toby Jones's performance was also extraordinary, he was the perfect villain for this episode. The tension in his scenes with Sherlock was huge and Jones's expressions were perfectly portraying Smith's lunacy. This episode even managed to fully counter my disappointment of the series not being the detective-focused series that it once was. It was a brilliant add to Sherlock's myth and I can only hope for the final one to even surpass it!! 10/10

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]