IMDb > Underworld: Blood Wars (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Underworld: Blood Wars

Underworld: Blood Wars More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A welcome new addition to the franchise

Author: lest-rj from Brazil
4 December 2016

If you're reading this review, I take it you're actually considering watching the fifth installment of an action-horror vampire/werewolf franchise; so, this is not for those who will be pointing fingers at 'originality' or 'depth' of the script, right? Okay.

Taking the movie as it is, its purpose and audience in mind, I can definitely say it delivers: way better than the last one (Underworld Awakening), Blood Wars is highly entertaining, never boring, extremely fast-paced and the Selene we have here is less robotic and more developed than we've seen her before. That, in itself, is saying something!

It also expands the story a bit; it doesn't feel like a "been there done that" at all. If I hadn't seen the trailers, I would be actually mildly surprised at some of the twists & turns of the movie. That, my friends, is also saying something!

By the end of the movie, I'm sure that fans will be pleased to see that there's still plenty of life left for the franchise. And even if you're going in for the first time - which is unlikely - you're probably going to understand and be able to enjoy the film as a stand-alone adventure. That's saying a lot!

Great action flick

Author: DarkLights95 from Canada
7 January 2017

Me my friends were originally going to see Star Wars Rogue, but got there late, and saw that Underworld was playing, so we're like meh whatever let's see. I seen them all but barely remembered anything except that it was about some vampire vs werewolf war. My friends went in with no info about any Underworld movies.

End result, it was a fun super action packed movie that had some fight moments that will make you go "OHHH SHITT", majority of all the characters were hot as hell, and in the hour and half we weren't bored once as it was just fight scene after fight scene with little moments of dialogue to further the story.

If you're looking for some in depth Oscar worthy movie, this ain't it. If you just want to grab a snack and watch some great fight scenes involving swords, guns and cgi monsters, you'll have a blast.

Better than expected

Author: Klemen
20 December 2016

After the disappointment that was Awakening I didn't go see this movie with high expectations, but I came out surprised. The movie is totally fine. Does it have some poor CGI and bad actions scenes? Absolutely. But it also has some quite brutal and "Whoa" moments. What surprised me the most was the story which actually references a lot of the past movies, expands the lore and ties some loose ends nicely. Critics will absolutely destroy this movie but if you are a fan of the series or just want to throw some popcorn in your face watching a fun movie, you should definitely check it out. Did I mention Kate Beckinsale still kicks ass?

Fun, cool movie

Author: nancy-scuba from United States
7 January 2017

I don't understand why people don't like this movie.

I wonder what they expect when they go in.

It's a great story line:

1. Selene finds out about a few things that are important for her about her story that we all know.

2. A very cool thing happens to her and the movie is interesting and has action from the very moment it starts.

3. No sappy romantic anything.

4. Very entertaining.

5. Keep in mind that this is fantasy and its goal is to keep you entertained.

I can't wait to see what happens next since the end means there have to be other things following. It cannot end just like that.

A must-avoid for all Underworld fans

Author: edudejager from South Africa
7 December 2016

I enjoy (good) vampire movies, dark movies, good screenplays, good production, good screenplay, good cinematography and characters like Selene. This means I really enjoyed the first three Underworld movies, provided we ignore the prequel which was no more than acceptable.

It also means that this movie ruined the franchise for me. Production was poor and clearly quite low budget (reuse of the same footage on a few occasions, etc.), the script was inadequate and, while Anna Foerster has put in some credible performances in TV, this was quite poor. Len Wiseman, or even Mårlind and Stein, could conceivably have turned this into a movie worthy of the franchise.

There is also a hole in the plot worthy of a B-grade horror.

SPOILER ALERT. And here comes the spoiler: The very premise of the movie is that Semira's coven is impregnable and Marius would be foolish to attack it without the blood of Selene's daughter. The werewolves specifically state that they "looked for any weaknesses and there are none". Then, later on in the movie, with no such blood, the werewolves walk in there like they own the place and it is clear that they would have taken the coven has it not been for the arrival of a transformed Selene with significant backup. The entire first 80% of the movie is rendered superfluous in one scene. SPOILER ENDS

And so the great Underworld franchise goes out with a whimper. Neither Kate Beckinsale nor the character of Selene deserved this, some heads should be hung in shame.

Loved it!

Author: Lynn Rush from Phoenix, AZ
6 January 2017

I had high hopes for this movie and had been waiting impatiently for it. And it was worth the wait. Got some surprises that had me going, "Holy cow, never saw that coming." I love that in a movie. I really appreciated the review in the beginning. That helped ground me again,even though I watched all of them again in preparation for this one. And probably will again. Kate did a great job as Selene and still kicks butt with the best of them. In Awakenings, I wasn't really into David's character. But in this movie, I think his role grew nicely. More depth and character development made me like him even more. And learning about his past got me more invested in him as well. They rounded his character off nicely, and I'm interested to see where they take it. What intrigues me is that they left a lot of room for future movies. I sure hope Kate signs on for more, because she's pretty much why I watch these.

Loved It

Author: bartellbry from United States
7 January 2017

This Underworld movie was really good. I was anticipating it to be a let down since awakening wasn't that great. I sure was wrong, I loved this movie lots of action. The story line was pretty good Im hoping that the next movie is just as good. The only negative thing I can say about the movie was the last fight between Marious and Selene. I was expecting a really brutal, bloody battle in that cage but that wasn't the case. All in all KB's performance was flawless and Theo James did great as well, his character David is a BEAST in this movie. Cant wait to see what the producers/creators have next, PLEASE DON'T cancel this movie saga. Keep up the good work!

Not as bad as many will make it seem

Author: Davis P from United States
14 January 2017

Underworld: Blood Wars is not as good as underworld evolution, but this doesn't mean it's terrible. I do actually prefer this installment to the first underworld. Kate Beckinsale is still good as seline. And Theo is good as David. The action sequences are well constructed for the most part, pretty much the same as the previous installments, guns galore, bullets flying everywhere, kicking and punching, so the fans of action will certainly not be disappointed. The dialogue is alright, it's not overly cheesy, which is kinda typical in these types of films, but it's also not anything that'll win any major awards. The plot follows up after awakening and I thought the plot was executed pretty well, it keeps your attention all the way through. And there is a remembrance of Michael and his character is alluded to on several times, which I loved because I really liked his character. If you're an underworld fan, you'll enjoy this movie and I certainly did. 7/10.

The Bad Chick in Black is Back

Author: view_and_review from California
8 January 2017

I watch the Underworld movies for pure action, a little bit of story, and seeing a bad chick kicking butt. As far as girl power movies go, the Underworld franchise is one of--if not--my favorite.

Underworld: Blood Wars was, of course, more of Selene (Kate Beckinsale) being the bad B in black. She was still on the lam hiding from both Vampires and Lycans. She had to deal with Marius (Edmure Tully err uh Tobias Menzies) this new and improved Lycan leader and Thomas (Tywin Lannister err uh Charles Dance) an old guard Vampire.

The movie offered me what I was looking for. I'm not some Vampire or Lycan purist. I don't mind their story being retold in different ways or their core attributes being altered as well. Did they get after it? Were there some ooh and aah moments? Yes and yes. I found myself oohing and aahing a few times (or more correctly saying OH and DAM!).

I will say that there was one drawback. The last installment was 2012, five years ago--the one before that was 2009 and the one before that was 2006 and the one before that was 2003. My point being that, whereas Selene does do a narrative recap at the beginning it wasn't nearly enough to totally refresh my memory on who everyone was and why they all hate her. I'd seen all of them but only once and it wasn't like I memorized characters or even the central theme of the four previous episodes. This movie was still able to stand on its own even with the brief synopsis of how she got to the point she was at. It's a solid movie that can be viewed all on its own if one should choose to.

Loved Selene and the Nordic woman

Author: Wonder Woman
7 January 2017

I enjoyed the movie but I do not get how Michael is dead. In awakening they made it seem like he escaped, now we have some dude who murdered him and pilfered his blood? Also agree with a few of the top reviews here. Last I did not like that Selene got her butt kicked a lot, missed long stretches of the movie and the Michael plot hole smh. Also was weird how they talked all that mess about needing eves blood to do this and that but they still did this and that and almost won had selene not showed up with resources. Why did't selene not murder dude that way from the get go and if going to the other world gives that speed they had why didn't the whole coven do it? AND why did selene let the guy catch her at all. Same with the Nordic woman and why do they sit and wait and watch for the lycans to turn when it takes them 5 minutes to shift in which time they can kill. The Nordic woman watch the lycan shift and then almost died. Also, why do they want the blood when the reason for the war has been resolved when Michael was changed. Why do the lycans keep on? Seems if they back off the vampires would stay in their little covens.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]