IMDb > "The Librarians" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Librarians"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Librarians" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Good Show if you Know About the Movies

Author: Noelle Gray from United States
15 December 2014

Okay so I had to make a profile to say this about this show, NO it is not a knock of Warehouse 13, that came out in 2009, the first Librarian movie came out in 2004, the concept was knocked off by Warehouse 13, do your research. Now on to the show!

If you saw the three movies, which I have, you'll already know that this show is spot on with the movies. Same cast, same tone, everything you liked about the movies is there. It's supposed to be cheesy the concept is a library with mythical objects, Flynn is a complete nerd with 20 something degrees, he was a shut in. If you want a damn uninteresting monotone action star who thinks he's acting go watch the hundreds of Crime investigation on the air. But if you want a fun upbeat story with good characters you will like this.

If you liked the movies you'll love the show!

Author: joel-hegeman
19 December 2014

After reading the bad reviews here, I had to chime in. Most of these reviewers have obviously never watched the movies, because the first movie predates all the shows they say the library is ripping off (except Indiana Jones of course).

That being said, if you liked the movies as I did, you'll like the show. The same quirky humor and history lessons are in the show. Noah was in the first 2 episodes before leaving the new Librarians to hold down the fort while he himself takes care of some other business. As for the new characters, If you liked Leverage, you'll like Christian Kane in the Librarians. He brings the same great sense of humor. The other librarians will grow on you by the second or third episode.

Dan from Night Court, does a decent job filling in for Newhart and Rebecca is great!

Reminiscent of "Leverage"

Author: Khoi Nguyen from Atlanta, GA
22 December 2014

Realizing that The Librarians spawned from the same minds that created Leverage, I was not surprised (pleasantly) in seeing the resemblance between the two television shows. I loved Leverage due to its character development past the traditional "task-oriented" crack-team setup. The characters grew close with each other as the show progressed and their antics never stopped coming. I predict that the Librarians will be the same way, and I love that each character in this show has their own quirkiness about them. I also appreciated that the show's creator did not confine the Librarians to the stereotypical nerds plagued with social awkwardness and anxiety issues. These are well thought-out individuals with their own types of personalities.

Too many TV shows nowadays have dark brooding themes and serious drama within them. I appreciate that The Librarians come off as much more light-hearted, friendly, and fun. Enjoy it for its silliness and magical wonders!

Classic story-driven TV

Author: sdemane34 from Boston, MA
5 January 2015

I was intrigued by the promos for this series, but after watching the pilot I was afraid it was a dud. But after a shaky start it quickly gained its footing. The action is cheesy, the characters have yet to dig beneath their surfaces, but in the meantime, this show provides some wonderfully quirky storytelling. To me it's reminiscent of the very early seasons of Buffy or Stargate SG-1. The production value isn't great, but not in a bad way -- it adds to the charm.

On the whole, this show uses a lot of time-worn tropes but always manages to add a fresh twist. I'm afraid it won't last in this world of too-shiny programming, but I sincerely hope that The Librarians continues for many years yet. Possibly my favorite new show of 2014.

Next generation of a family-oriented adventure franchise.

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
15 December 2014

This is the next generation of a family-oriented adventure franchise that started in 2004 and called "The Librarian".

The Librarian is a series of made-for-TV original movies from TNT, starring Noah Wyle as a librarian who protects a secret collection of magical artifacts.

A full decade later Noah Wyle's character is still "The" Librarian but the "library", who got him the job in the first place, "feels" that he needs help to his duties. So despite the objections of "The librarian", "the library" (yes I know too many ...quotes) hires 4 more persons (3 "geniuses" and a "federal" agent played by Rebecca Romijn) for his assistance.

Noah Wyle has a certain presence in his role, but unfortunately he isn't the main protagonist in this. He is more like a recurrent special guest star. That might be a deal breaker for some of the oldest fans of the librarian franchise but maybe you have to wait and see.

The feel of the series (based on the pilot) is over-the-top adventurous and although there are some heavy themes (stabbing by a sword, deaths, brain cancer etc.) the whole atmosphere feels kind of light, maybe even naive.

If you are an adult who is looking for an Indiana Jones-like premise you will be disappointed. If you belong to a younger audience you may find this entertaining.

The production is TV-OK (CGI is mediocre, the constant green screen is too obvious, and the "exotic" places they are visiting are obviously in a studio). The acting is deliberately exaggerated, the dialogs somehow ridiculous and the music more fancy than it should be, but that's common in a series probably made for kids.

Overall: I'm not sure that I will check the next episodes but someone else might find it entertaining.

very entertaining

Author: nemhook from england
13 January 2015

From time to time it seems like a TV show like this has been done before, regardless of a previous movie, people may even start thinking warehouse 13 when they watch this show, aside from the similarity's, this show is fresh and easy to watch and is packed with entertainment.

The downside is the, in my opinion, the casting of "Rebecca Romijn" as eve, she comes off as just too unrealistic for an agent and seems miss informed of her role as Guardian, now you would think guardian would mean, protector/bodyguard for the new librarians, but no, she spends every episode barking orders like she has just been selected to be the new general of the library, as far as i'm concerned the role should be strait forward, they chase up magical artifacts and such and she follows and protects as an equal and not the boss of which the writers seem intent on portraying her, i personally feel her acting style has no place in this show and should be limited to low low budget, but that's just me.

regardless, the librarians is held together by the remaining cast members and i thus very enjoyable addition to your new list of shows.

Popcorn TV aimed at teens

Author: Graham Smith
24 December 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect firing up the Librarians. It's got some elements of Dr. Who (sci fi), Indiana Jones(adventure), and Harry Potter in it (magic). Sound ambitious? Well not really. The show is extremely light hearted to a point it hurts the shows potential.

I guess the best thing you can say about The Librarians is it knows what it wants to be. A family show aimed at younger teens but with witty enough writing adults will get a few kicks out of it as well. There are some educational tidbits thrown in regarding science and mythology. Also not one sexually charged joke or innuendo yet regarding its attractive female cast. Gotta give it points for that.

No show starts out great. The Librarians has laid a foundation to be pretty good if it can explain its story lines a little clearer, and show more human side to these characters than just the adventure side. Right now I'll give it a generous 7/10 rating.

Lets just be honest.

Author: luis-ea-bastos from Portugal
14 December 2014

Well after reading the plot and seeing a few ads i thought, "This could be entertaining. Artifacts, mythology,some magic and a group of "protectors"." But sadly, after watching the first 10 mnts, expectations dropped quite fast. Just so much unnecessary BS. I mean, 20 mnts in, we got terrorists setting a nuclear bomb, an artifact really well hidden under some SS blankets(sarcasm), ninjas and cowboys, a really weak attempt at a "good will hunting" janitor/genius character, some dude playing the next-gen "that dude in a tube from power rangers", and some Asian kid robbing a museum with a smart phone. At this point i would be laughing like crazy, if that was the show direction, but no, its all actually somewhat "serious".

Alright putting aside the lack of logic and any direction from the first impact, lets take a look at the artifacts and lore a bit. Excalibur for no good reason is portrayed as some sort of dog, happily playing with its "owner"? Meanwhile we got the spear of destiny just decorating the entrance. But whatever floats your boat, and they decided on the myth of King Arthur.And that would be fine even with the dog-sword, but the writers decided King Arthur wasn't cool enough, so now Arthur is a roman. Arthurius perhaps?

The characters: Well this one is a complete mess. We have a genius girl working as janitor that also sees equations all around her, so evolution from "Good Will Hunting" to "A beautiful mind", and very bad attempt of portraying all the social ineptitude high IQ individuals usually show. I mean, if you wanna rip-off other writers stuff at least do it properly.Also your genius shouldn't dabble on ancient language.As Enochian is not a mathematical ancient Greek language.Enochian was revealed by John Dee in the 16th century a writer from the UK.Next we have this art history/language cowboy expert?(gotta admit, sounds kind of Tarantino cool), too bad this guy is just as much of an expert at it as i am at twerking. Claiming carmine dye showed up in the 1500s is false, as it was used in Ancient Egypt.Also at the Stonehenge when he looks at a drawing of a circle in a triangle, "astrological symbology and Latin". What the...there's 0 Latin there period, also a genius relying on a pseudo-science? 190 IQ really? Step aside Einstein!

The Counter terrorist. Well i'm just like any other guy. I love a pretty girl.But only hire them if they can actually act. Like come on, her acting is insipid and dull.Zero emotion. Also, notice her fighting skills, the way she guards her face with her hands in her waist completely relaxed. Thats hardcore, its just like saying to your opponent. "Come on!hit me!" Also she seems to possess the power to expel energy from her blows as everyone seems to be falling down 50cm away from her punches. Give me a break!Just let her really hit people cause she swings so wide and slow that will feel like a gentle breeze anyway.

The Librarian. I actually don't hate this one. He has charisma unlike his female guardian, but much like the show he is all over the place. The wound scene however is (as 90% of the show) ludicrous. Considering a male of his constitution would die after losing 2.24 lts of blood, seems pretty impressive that they somehow managed to fly from Oregon to UK (average 7hours). Also pretty impressive that he suffers no effects from blood loss (elevated heart rate, cold, paleness, and shock).Rambo has nothing on our dear librarian.When he was dying (finally), i screamed "oh god, please die, and kill your partners before you perish." This show needs a recast as bad as new writers.

Im gonna stop here as i feel there is way too much to be said.Just leaving a few questions:

1-What kind of terrorists would start a nuclear bomb in a scenario where they cannot escape?? Is this that yolo thing kids keep talking about?

2- Ninjas? really?? And what kind of cultivated traditional assassins (they were like 6) get their asses kicked by a cowboy? Maybe its some sort of new ghetto crew the Nin-Jayz, and not real ninjas.

Well honestly i will give the next episodes a look as i don't think it can get any worse. So far all i can see is some really untalented writers that cant even do some basic research on the stuff they are using. I guess its easier to replace the known "lore" of things with poop.

Great family show

Author: Jason Neil from Sydney
8 December 2014

Having watched both of the opening episodes, and the original movies this show spun off from, I can say that this show will be a perfect alternative for families looking to escape reality TV.

Each episode has a unique twist on the stories we all know.

There is enough action to keep things moving but not so much that it would be inappropriate for kids.

If you enjoyed the movies, give this a look.

Bob Newhart plays his role perfectly. It is disappointing that Noah Wiley is only in a few episodes, but the rest of the actors involved have experience playing similar roles.

Librarian is a great show

Author: novachevy2 from United States
24 January 2015

I really enjoy the non fiction light hearted detective shows. This is a great example. While the first 2 shows were a bit rocky I have really enjoyed the season but it was so short! I actually had not heard of the librarian movie prior to reading the post. I have a lot of professional friends in their 40's who also enjoy this show. Maybe it's because there is a bit of creativity and problem solving but after a hard day at the office it's an easy and fun way to unwind. I hope it returns for many more seasons that will be an actual season.

Also wish it wasn't the last season of Falling skies. That is another favorite!!

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]