IMDb > Septembers of Shiraz (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Septembers of Shiraz

Septembers of Shiraz More at IMDbPro »

Not a single believable scene or dialogue!

Author: Dimiter Todorov from Sofia, Bulgaria
2 November 2015

The story is about the family of a successful Tehran businessman, being targeted by the revolutionaries in late 70x Iran. He is detained and tortured (but not deprived from bathing and socialising with other prisoners in a hamam), she is abused (but only verbally) and their house and business premises are looted (except from the wine and the most precious diamonds). So, yes, the family are the victims, and the revolutionaries are the villains. But in the end the whole story is about them bribing their way out of the country. The most pathetic car chase in movie history notwithstanding. And the worst deal a Jew has ever made for transport services. What exactly is the moral here?

Mind you, not a single scene or dialogue in the whole movie is remotely believable.

Finally a Tale of Truth in Hollywood

Author: Hooman from Dubai - UAE
28 August 2016

I find this movies exhilarating , emotional and in the mean time extremely sad, as always Adrian Brody hits his target. I am an Iranian so I can make a perfect connection to this story, it is a tale of exile and forced migration, I had to go through a less severe version of exile myself.

After the Islamic Revolution in Iran, the poor and illiterate that were empowered by the Islamists and mullahs have been given a power to loot, abuse and murder those in minorities,wealthy individuals and those who supported the previous regime. the story still continues till today. illiterate,bigoted Muslim thugs with beards still kidnap , murder, blackmail and ransack as they please. Mullahs still hold power in 21st century and Sharia law is the law of the land.

It is very hard for me or any Iranian who lived before the revolution to even imagine the ciaos brought upon us by these Islamic vermin. I even noticed some of the regime apologist have lowered the rating here in IMDb screaming murder and demanding justice.

This film is incredibly close to really, there was no propaganda involved and even today the same is happening in Iran, when country is taken over by a fascist religious ideology these kind of behaviors are normal. What is abnormal are the regime apologists residing in the west and still defending the undeniable.

The story begins when a prosperous Jewish family living in North Tehran faced with horrors, a self-made business man with his family watches as his country being tore apart by fascist religious bigots. being Jewish and wealthy, his business is ransacked by his own employees and he was arrested for being in touch with Royal Family of Iran, His wife and child are being abused and constantly taunted by the notorious IRGC members.on other side his wife and child waiting for hi at home are being faced with a class indifference and illiterate lower class demanding their rights.

Watching this movie is incredibility put you in touch with revolutionary Iran, it worth every second and it is an incredible accurate of what really happened.

Studio 54 in Iran

Author: Takeshi-K from Thailand
18 February 2016

Okay that doesn't accurately sum up the entire film, but it's what I thought during the opening party scene, which begins with a sub par attempt at copying the famous Goodfellas nightclub tracking shot, complete with cliché 70s anthem - Staying Alive by (Aussie Pop kings) The Bee Gees.

I thought at first - Wow how weird. Producer/Actor Salma Hayak is doing a Studio 54 in Iran.

Anyway as the movie wears on it does improve a little in recreating the original novel. Some negatives - The actors in it are noticeably younger than the middle aged intelligentsia that the novel depicts. Thats not a criticism really - film investors want pretty people, preferably pretty young people, but it's worth noting for those that have read the book. Also it was shot with the Bourne Identity shaky cam style that is no longer in vogue. I get the sense that the camera operator was trying to infuse this film with the type of realism that the screenplay failed to inspire.

This is not Iran in the 1970s. It's a Hollywood attempt at depicting Iran in the 1970s. The book was brilliant, this movie was not. The film presented a general overview of what happened in the novel without getting into the nitty gritty the novel depicted so well; a sort of precursory glance, nothing more. The result is yet another "the book was much better" situation. This film removed the New York chapters which gave political and cultural balance to the book. I thought that was a grave error.

The movie made its point

Author: voja-dubai
1 July 2016

I liked the movie. In terms of screenplay, it deserves not more than 6/10. However, the story-line and acting are worth of watching it, and the point is something that every human has to be aware of. In any country, in any religion, on each continent...the social-economical moment creates the sad reality. Religion is a tool in hands of frustrated, who, during the time, have realized its power and now are using it to the fullest. Somebody needs to be blamed for their own socially poor lives, complexes and failed childhood. Unfortunately, not the ones who are to be blamed, mostly their parents, but innocent people that have nothing to do with their lives. My high grade is to make the balance. The movie deserves more that it got so far. Too many religiously colored grades I guess. This movie is not a propaganda. It's reality. People around world still get jailed or executed just for telling their opinion about religions, or abused / murdered based on their nationality / skin color/ religion. This has to stop if we want a good world for our children. Politicians have to start talking what they really think instead of what's the best for their popularity. Intelligent people must not be silent and let only the other ones to speak. Medias must start caring about the ethics instead of profits. People must turn to their families instead of abstractedly and idolatry. Life is not what media or other people tell you. Life is your family. Dedicate to it!

Persecution and Power

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
23 June 2016

Greetings again from the darkness. It's 1979 in Tehran, and the Shah of Iran has recently been overthrown in favor of Ayatollah Khomeini and the shift to fundamentalist Islam. Director Wayne Blair informs us that the Hanna Weg script from Dalia Sofer's bestselling novel is "based on true events". As soon as we realize the story is about a wealthy Jewish family, we are prepared for the sure to be unpleasantness.

Adrien Brody plays Isaac, a self-made man whose jewelry business has profited through his dealings with the previous regime. His wife Farnez is played by Salma Hayek, and their beautiful home is the setting for the going-away party for their son who is headed to the United States to continue his education, leaving behind his parents and younger sister.

Ignoring his own warnings that things are getting bad, Isaac is soon arrested by the Revolutionary Guard. As Farnez tries to see him, while also keeping things together at home, Isaac is being interrogated and later tortured as he is held captive.

As in many revolutions, it comes down to rich versus poor, and those who had power versus those who now wield the big stick. Isaac and Farnez are presented as good people who have helped others … including their housekeeper played by the always interesting Shohreh Aghdashloo (House of Sand and Fog). Her loyalties begin to waver even as her son joins forces with the Guards. Why should she clean toilets while Farnez lives the high life? The scenes with Ms. Hayek and Ms. Aghdashloo are the film's best, but even those aren't strong enough given the material.

The film tries to maintain a neutral stance on religion and politics, though it's clear where the sympathies fall. The ending dedication to "all victims of persecution" gives some idea of the lack of focus here. The over-acting from Adrian Brody does distract some from the manner in which the story ends. The lesson seems to be that one is never free when focused on material things, and yet revolutions always seem to be about the power that comes with money … rather than the issues initially proclaimed. In book form, this is a terrific and personal story about the impact of the revolution. Unfortunately, on the screen, it comes across as all too familiar and lacking in danger and suspense … none of which lessens the true hardships faced by this family.

Good acting in a movie based 'on real events' that is far removed from reality.

Author: Tom Dooley from London, United Kingdom
28 September 2016

This was a film I was looking forward to seeing. It is about a Jewish businessman – Isaac (Adrien Brody) who is a successful jeweller. He is married to the wonderful Farnez – Selma Hayek in late 1970's Iran. We get some scene setting but not a lot about the toppling of the Shah and very little about Ayatollah Khomeini; just that The Revolutionary Guard have taken over .

Then the Guard come calling and Isaac is arrested and their whole World goes south in a very bad way. Now this is not a true story it is based on real events and those events are portrayed in a seemingly black and white way that supporters of the Ayatollah will see as very one sided. There is an attempt to balance the books but it sort of lacks credibility. Some of the scenes too were a bit of a stretch – but to say any of the detail could be a plot reveal – which I do not want to do.

The acting is all very good, but there is some unfortunate CGI, blue screen and the period detail is all wrong. They do not have a single Hillman Hunter on the street shots and at the time 90% of all cars were Hunters, they even assembled them there. The action is also very lame and the actions of some of the players lacked all credulity, it was almost sanitised as I remember all too well the carnage that was shown on our screens at the time. It would have been nice to have had a better portrayal of what actually took place to a country that was at a cross roads in its history and some could say is still paying the price today.

Absolutely terrible - do not waste your time

Author: Nadia Marques de Carvalho from UK
6 January 2017

I am actually shocked at how bad the acting is in this film - I can't figure if it's the screenplay or the actual acting that slows the pace down considerably. I have read the book, which was an exhilarating read but nothing special, and being Iranian I could relate and understand the story within the context.

My main issues with the film is that it comes across very insincere because it is spoken in English, phrases which would sound beautiful and more powerful in the native Persian, sound dramatic and silly, which detract from the film's earnestness. I understand if the director wants to reach an English - speaking audience, but as a British - Iranian watching non - Iranian actors speak with such a horrific Iranian accents that metamorphosis into Russian for some reason, is horrific. It is simply not credible.

Naturally, Shohreh Aghdashloo's acting is impeccable as always - if anything she should have been chosen for the lead role instead of Salma.

I would recommend the film 'The Stoning of Soraya M' if you'd like to better understand the social context following the Iranian Revolution of 1979.

Ignoring the Reviews didn't pay off this time..

Author: acbuxton from California
15 October 2016

This movie, to me, was extremely non believable considering that it is a true story based on the 1979 Iranian Revolution. Opening, we are introduced to our location, Tehran, Iran with a gathering of people at a party. From that moment, the first thought was that the selection on actors i.e. Selma Hayek and most others, were not cast correctly as Iranian descent/Middle Eastern actors. The set, background, was so fake, I felt like I was watching, and this is very difficult to describe, a clip on "how to make a film set look real: The beginning stages." From that moment on, not one set of dialogue, as a reviewer said before me, made any sense. Nothing was played out, and the movie lacked a true plot. This is a truly discouraging and disappointing experience while watching a movie based on the true events of the Jewish/Muslim conflict during the Iranian Revolution of the time. I would not watch this movie if you are familiar with the history, a true movie buff and critic, or put off by or offended by cultural/ethnicity casting. I believe what was done here was offensive. I do also think that many will find that this is a good movie and enjoyable, however, I hope that by picking certain actors in this movie was not the CSA or Directors idea of getting it attention, as this was a real and horrifying time in history for many.

Septembers of Shiraz, what a great movie.

Author: Constait90 from Sweden
26 June 2016

This film expertly captures what it must be like to have your life suddenly turned around into total chaos, the hopelessness, the helplessness, and the despair..." Based on true events of the 1979 Iranian Revolution.

Adrien Brody is notorious for diving deep into the most harrowing aspects of the human condition and his role as Isaac in Septembers of Shiraz is no different. , Isaac is tested physically, emotionally and spiritually; how far would you go to save your family? How would you react?

Great emotional movie.

a real story & a good movie

Author: aalpersahin from Ankara Turkey
14 December 2016

When the revolution happened I was only 8 years old and living in the neighbor country Turkey. But i actually remember the terrible things in Iran. I also point out that shah and the royalty made the country poorer and poorer.It was the truth. As for the movie, I liked it very much. Mr. A. Broedy is a great actor and S. Hayek is a playing a good role. But i don't like the truth that these kind of all screenplays and productions are coming through the Jewish society. So i think Jewish film makers always make bad criticize and try to show the things worse then itself. I don't know is it a kind of way demonstrate the hatred in themselves against Islam? Anyway, i think this movie is good and deserves more contribution and feed backs than this. Finally Welldone work and i suggest you to watch it