IMDb > "Taboo" (2017) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Taboo"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Taboo" More at IMDbPro »

Oops!

Author: Ian Cunningham from United Kingdom
8 January 2017

The first episode was superb.I can't wait for the next episode. Fantastic filmography, acting, makeup and costumes. Technically perfect. Vancouver was referenced several times both verbally and through the map. I am definitely not a pedant - in fact I have a very low threshold for attention to detail. However the City of Vancouver which was named after the brilliant and tragic English adventurer, explorer and diplomat George Vancouver, was not incorporated (or named) in his honour until 1886 and as this episode is placed firmly in the year of 1814 it would seem that the main character James Delaney besides being broody, moody and in touch with the supernatural is in fact also a remarkable soothsayer.

Cracking start!

Author: michaelstuckey29 from Somerset, UK
8 January 2017

What a superb start to the series! The acting was top-notch, especially the powerful performance from Tom Hardy (would you expect anything else), and the look of early 19th century London certainly seemed to be spot on for a layman like myself. One point to note, though, in reply to Ian Cunningham's review, is that it was Vancouver Island that was referenced and not the city. The island was given that name some 20-odd years before the events of the show, so no soothsaying was required! Anyway, I'm looking forward to the rest of the series and just hope it manages to maintain the standard throughout, especially considering how high the bar has been set!

Masterclass

Author: wayne robb from United Kingdom
8 January 2017

After the first episode im already hooked.a great starter to set the scene on whats to come. Tom hardy plays an absolutely ruthless nutter who seems very unafraid of anything or one dead or alive.the thing is this is really well made,well acted and visually stunning.in this day and age we are lucky to have such a great actor in tom hardy. Enjoy it was worth the wait. Great to watch on the bbc too(no adverts)! This will surely be the greatest mini series of 2017. There's a tension and raw talent cast and when mixed with a brilliant story you cant really go wrong. MASTERCLASS. After the first episode i can only see the next 7 getting more exciting

Epic new period drama for 2017

Author: DVD_Connoisseur from England
8 January 2017

Taboo is one of the most powerful period dramas I've ever had the pleasure of viewing.

Set in 1913, it's a brooding, dark tale from the minds of Tom Hardy and his father, Edward "Chips" Hardy. Tom Hardy plays the central role, the enigmatic James Delaney, who has returned to England after a decade in Africa, to attend his father's funeral.

Pitch perfect, the excellent script is backed with strong performances from many familiar faces including Jonathan Pryce, the beautiful Oona (Game of Thrones) Chaplin, Franka (The Bourne Identity) Potente and Jason (Being Human) Watkins.

For Saturday evening viewing in the UK, this is far from comfortable subject matter. The first episode alone contained nods to the occult, incest, untold atrocities in far away territories, and the most graphic threats from Delaney to those who would be foolish enough to cross him. It's all gripping good fun.

10 out of 10. I've been waiting a long time for this series and it doesn't disappoint.

Seen episode 1 and it's excellent.

Author: james_r_webster from Lincolnshire, England
7 January 2017

I wouldn't usually review anything on IMDb, but this show based on the first episode is extremely well done and I only wish it was on Netflix so I could just binge watch it all in one go! I felt it captured the gritty nature of 19th century London brilliantly (I assume as I've actually never been to 19th century London). The only caveat for me is that it appears it has a supernatural theme that I can only assume will become more relevant as the story unfolds. I'm not a huge fan of supernatural stuff, but so far it's been done very tastefully so I'm not too concerned. There are a few recognizable actors throughout, but Tom Hardy as per usual steals the show.

Just a shame that I have to wait another week for an episode. :(

Cinematic

Author: michael-phipps from United States
10 January 2017

Cinematography pallet of an 1800's portrait painting. Acting talent featuring world class character actors. Drama driven story with ..Tom Hardy...Oona Chaplin. Oh my! Executive producer Ridley Scott had me immediately engaged. What will keep me watching is seriously amazing period drama with hints of the Pre Columbian and African occult, multinational / continental plot aspects, and established talent portraying the characters.

This is a show that will help continue to redefine television, and how it should be made in the current era of broadcast streaming and high def video screens in everyone's home.

Tom Hardy, the best actor of our generation.

Author: Javier Negrón
11 January 2017

That's it. I don't need ten lines to describe the beauty of this show and we're only starting to see the magnificent performances of Hardy (hope he will have a long career). The tempo, the music, the setting, and that marvelous face of Hardy make this show easily a 10/10 without knowing the plot and with only one chapter in the books. I'm fan of Hardy, probably the best performer these days along with DiCaprio, and I'm sure we are capable of see a future masterpiece, the only thing to reproach is that first season is only 8 chapters long, that's a shame, the same way the producers do with the superb TV show, The Peaky Blinders. Ladies and gentlemen, we're witness of the future now...

Excellent series premier!

Author: neil joesph from Canada
12 January 2017

So...I just watched episode one of taboo on fx, and I am extremely excited too see where this show goes.... So far, it is excellent. I read a lot of reviews commenting that it " was slow" or " starts off very boring", but I cannot disagree more. This series is very clearly a very complex and detailed story. I can't say enough good things about Tom Harry's performance. Tom hardy is one of the very best actors of the decade, hands down. His acting is extraordinary. There are very few shows that hold The viewers attention the way that taboo does, and this is, after only one episode. Can't wait to see what happens next! This is a great start to 2017 for television, and I can only hope that more shows come out this year that are the caliber of Taboo.

Superb!

Author: killer1h from United States
15 January 2017

So I stumbled upon this series in my search for another good English show. Let me tell you this one is amazing, Tom Hardy just kills it! And he's not alone, everyone involved seems to know exactly how to drill down and play the core of the kind of people and thinking that was going on back in the 1800's.

Now onto the story, there's a family by the name of Delany, the father and mother are thought to have been insane, the father built up quite a bit of debt in his insanity. Meanwhile the son went off into the military and has thought to have died in Africa. When the father died, the son returned which came not only as a shock to everyone but also as it turns out as some very unwelcome news as he was the sole beneficiary to his fathers holdings. There is also a sister married to what I can only conclude so far is a ladder climber, as he keeps trying everything in his power to get his hands on the Delany estate. And then there's the East India trading company, who's perpetually trying to kill the Son.

What does this all add up to? 10/10 a very interesting show with tons of twists and turns. If dark and gritty is your type of show this is not one to miss.

Intriguing

Author: Josiah Jubilee from California
13 January 2017

This is an intriguing start, a little slow, but not the bad kind of slow. The good kind of slow, like a slow kiss with someone who knows how. It's the slow of a cast and crew who know what dynamics are, and timing. It's the slow of a cast and crew who know that there is much more to come and it wouldn't do to rush into it. A few elements that really stand out are:

Atmosphere, of course, no surprises there, anyone could see that coming from the posters, but it doesn't drop the ball on that promise at all, fleshing out each scene with a beautiful backdrop and a gritty but beautiful portrayal of early 19th century London.

It handles the supernatural elements shockingly well, something that is dear to my heart, having been so severely disappointed by show after show trying to do it right and not even coming close. Example, see the show that literally calls itself Supernatural. Taboo was a breath of fresh air.

Delighted to find out what happens next, and that, above all, is what i look for in the first episode in a show.