IMDb > Phantasm: Ravager (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Phantasm: Ravager

Phantasm: Ravager More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Great new installment for fans following the whole arc of the series

Author: MichaelJEpstein
2 October 2016

I've now seen it twice and I really loved Ravager. Yes, it was made with modest resources, and that is visible, but it accomplishes all of the important things a film in this series should accomplish. It explores a story about how fear manifests when faced with terribly difficult realities.

I love how the first film is about a young person coping with the deaths of their family, and Ravager is about an aging person coping with the loss of their memories as they face death. I love that full-circle, complementary nature of it. Without spoiling, I love that the Tall Man undergoes a real kind of transformation in it. In fact, it might be the most humanistic film in the whole series.

I just really think the movie was made with real care and understanding of the heart of Phantasm. I'd much rather see a low- budget film that really gets it, than a higher-budget film that doesn't.

So, in summary, Ravager is totally in the spirit of the films and gives tons to think about. If you're watching it and just griping about CGI, you're probably not watching Phantasm for what I consider the right reasons. This is really a film for people who love the first four films, and for us, it is a solid, sentimental payoff.

I really appreciated all four previous films and now I love the fifth as well.

And if you're writing a review that treats the series as literal narrative, and you are complaining that your literal narrative questions were not answered, please back away from the Phantasm movies slowly, because you are likely to trip over your own shoelaces.

So Disappointing.

Author: kbf1123 from United States
15 October 2016

I had such high hopes for this film. Reggie and Angus, as usual, were awesome but even they couldn't carry this stink fest. The story was bad, the graphics horrid and the acting by the newcomers to the show mediocre at best. As for Reggie and the veterans, I don't blame you guys. You did the best you could with what you were given. The director had a real opportunity here to make a masterpiece that would crown an otherwise wonderful series but completely dropped the ball. It seems like he hadn't even watched the previous films and didn't even care. The whole thing made no sense. It was all over the place with no continuity. It tied up no loose ends and left me wondering what the heck I had just seen. Considering this was Angus Scrimms swan song, it's such a shame they blew it so badly. So sad!

a waste

Author: kingramze from United States
4 October 2016

I'm a fan of the series. I had hoped for more insight into the Tall Man, the orbs, their plan, etc. I'd hoped for a resolution to the "fight" or at least more of a progression and a better idea of what we're fighting against. Ultimately, this movie accomplishes nothing. It's not even funny or scary.

It doesn't add any new info to the series or progress any story arc in any way. Imagine if another series like say... Evil Dead had another movie added that did nothing new and had no real resolution. Ultimately boring. At least its predecessor, Phantasm IV, though flawed introduced new information about the villain.

I could (and likely will) dream up a more satisfying story line and adventure for the series than what was presented.

Pointless and horrible. RIP Angus Scrimm.

Author: actorpasct
6 October 2016

Phans (no, that's not spelled wrong) eagerly awaited this apparent last entry to the Phantasm movies for a long time indeed. Phantasm started way back in 1979 with the original cult classic, which was actually remastered recently. They probably waited more than 20 years to get Ravager made if you research it long enough.

Angus who played the villain in every entry up to Ravager, sadly passed away in early 2016. But the wait just wasn't worth it. The effects are okay, and the film actually started off good. While the series is nothing to write home about, the story in the others was rather fun. Ravager on the other hand is just so confusing, and the finale didn't really pay off. Out of nowhere, this little man of a short stature who is a soldier or something just appears and upstages Reggie. Yeah. Some nobody apparently kills off "The Tall Man" in one super-duper head scratching moment, only it's hinted that there's a lot of 'Tall Men' in the universe. Maybe they're his many alien clones. Who knows?

It's just a series of strung together kills, running around, and dream like scenes with Reggie in a hospital talking to another stalwart of the series named Mike. The ending was just so uninspiring. The film answers no questions at all. There's even a pointless cameo from Rocky, the tough chick from Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead who does not even appear until during the end credits, but her showing up served no real purpose and she never evens talk to Reggie, but rather Chunk, who is the little guy I've just told you about. The ending sort of suggests a sequel could happen one day, but as Angus is no longer here, it's unlikely to happen. It sort of has made the story of the series now feel somewhat irrelevant. Was it all just a dream? Who knows? I'm actually shocked that they didn't do more with this movie. Even Phantasm IV: Oblivion was heaps better.

A Disgraceful End to One of the Most Unique Horror Series of the 20th Century

Author: amnesiac12001 from United States
31 December 2016

PHANTASM: RAVAGER is perhaps the most disappointing and horrifically executed follow-up in a film series since TROLL 2, a declaration I only wish was hyperbolic. It almost single-handedly unravels all the value and merit gathered from the previous installments and it does so with almost neolithic incompetence.

While we all knew that RAVAGER was the least-capitalized of the series, it's shocking at how poorly made it is, especially considering what Don Coscarelli was able to do with a comparable budget 37 years earlier. The film has all the production value of a SyFy Channel Asylum monster movie (complete with unprocessed production audio), and with even less narrative cohesion. The script is cringe-inducingly bad, with little-to-no plot or agenda beyond wanting the viewer to question how much of Reggie's reality is real, and the dialogue is almost a parody of bad movies done without irony. The actors, many of whom have had decades of experience under their belt, behave as if they're in their first student film, and every performance looks so horrifically under-rehearsed that it feels like they're reading their lines off of cue cards taped to the other actors' heads.

It's also the least consistent with the style of the rest of the series, and the film opens with a recap introduction that was so inept that I thought it was tacked on by an executive producer. And so many stretches of the movie involve the characters wandering around a desert simply to pad time with a free location. To put it another way: I've waited 18 years to see this film and I actually fast-forwarded through certain scenes simply to see if they were going somewhere or to bypass the sheer ineptitude of the filmmaking. That's how bad this film can be. I have seen fan films on YouTube made for pocket change that showed more talent, creativity, and cinematography than this.

I suspect that all this may have been done on purpose to ensure that no one would ask for another film (rendered moot since Angus Scrimm has now passed on), as Coscarelli has expressed a desire to move on from PHANTASM films. It would have been better for all if Coscarelli had simply loaned out the film to screenwriters who wanted to take a whack at it instead of wasting decades until he came up with an idea. As it is, we've now lost so many potential sequels and have to suffer the indignity of this entry as its finale. The lack of any talent on display in this film is almost an insult to fans of what was one of the most unique and beloved horror film series of the century.

RAVAGER is for completists only, and even then...I pity them for what they have to endure.

End Of The Road

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
4 October 2016

Fifth and final film in this series is mostly a showcase for stalwart series star Reggie Bannister as Reggie, former ice cream vendor turned wandering warrior still in pursuit of the evil Tall man(played by the late Angus Scrimm) in his never-ending plan of world domination, which seems to be coming true, though it is equally possible that poor Reggie is suffering from dementia, since he is visited in hospital by an older Mike(A. Michael Baldwin) who thinks it's all in his addled mind, though both realities seem to be converging to a final reckoning point...

A much-delayed, low-budget yet ambitious sequel that was produced sporadically over many years, which explains the patchy and convoluted narrative structure presented here, which is of course the chief problem. Unlike Part I(even II), there is little here that is eerie or original, and expecting any kind of proper closure at this point is ultimately futile, despite the earnest efforts of everyone involved. Still, "Phans" will want to see it regardless, as(for better or worse) this is the end... though you will certainly want to stay through the closing credits!

A disappointment to the fans

Author: cybermonster_8 from Canada
5 October 2016

Phantasm is one of those magical movies that has stood the test of time, unique in its narrative and atmosphere. For many years fans were told a Phantasm 5 would never happen. That it would simply be too expensive and ambitious for the budget they wanted, and I still think they were telling the truth. But in trying to go big, it lost sight of what made Phantasm so great to begin with.

Long gone are the quiet nights filled with emptied graveyards, ruined towns, and looming mausoleums. Replacing it in this last outing is jumbled transitions of walking around in the desert, and behind green screens. None of the questions of the past four films are ever answered. The Tall Man is never defeated, and our heroes are never given any sense of closure. Only put upon another road that this time their will be no end to. This was a movie made for the fans out of love, but I have to wonder why Coscarelli and Hartman would squander such an opportunity to finish the story started back in 1979. As a fan it is truly upsetting to know Angus Scrimm is gone, and we will never again have a new movie to look forward to.

Messy and Unnecessary Fifth Return of the Cult Franchise

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
7 October 2016

Reggie (Reggie Bannister) is wandering through the desert seeking out his friend Mike (A. Michael Baldwin) and the evil The Tall Man ( Angus Scrimm). Along his journey, he is hunted down by the dangerous spheres and stumbles upon the gorgeous Dawn (Dawn Cody). Out of the blue, he finds himself in an institution with Mike explaining that he has dementia and then in another dimension. Where is Mike?

"Phantasm: Ravager" is a messy and unnecessary fifth return of this cult franchise. The story is confused and pointless, for the sorrow of the fans and in the end is hard to know where Mike is indeed, what is daydream and how The Tall Man would be defeated with his powers and his powerful army of spheres. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): Not Available.

Slap Face

Author: thewad-472-906668
7 October 2016

I waited 17 years for this production. Elated and ready to be excited, sad ,happy and scared . None of this happened . I felt the slap to the face for Phans of the Phantasm movies .It was confusing ,without content and just downright "Lets get this done and out of the way" I can see why a few years ago Don Coscarelli said he was done with the Phantasm movies as it is NOT directed by him and it shows . He had only acted as producer and co-writer and very poorly I might add . He did not care to add content only to get his name added for the other Phantasm movies and after you watch this crap fest , you will be as PO'ED as myself if you are honest with YOURSELF .

So many missed opportunities

Author: mercypleaseuk from United States
19 October 2016

I really wanted to love this movie but SPOILERS............

It's Reggie walking about and nothing happens. No atmosphere. No scares. The scene with the man in the car. Pointless. Killing the horse. Pointless. The scenes with the man in the shed. Pointless. Dawn's death? So The Tall Man stood outside all night whilst Reggie slept and then the sphere killed the girl in the morning? And why doesn't Reggie get in his car and drive off instead of wandering about? Four pointless scenes just so we can see another sphere death. Too many sphere deaths! No hearses, no coffins and no explosions. For me it was like someone was having fun doing CGI and totally disregarded any of the other films. No continuity as we have had in the others. Yes I know this is Phantasm and you can really do whatever you want and say 'but did it really happen' but that doesn't excuse a bad script IMO. Mike was wasted in the film and no good lines at all except for when he says "we've got him right where he wants us". No scenes with The Tall Man except at the end in an awful CGI scene. I guess I wanted to see our hero's against The Tall Man. I saw no reason to have Chunk in the film at all except so he could be a pretend dwarf at the end. He was rude to Reggie all along and to The Tall Man – no endearing qualities at all and then he survives just to have some silly scene with Rocky! For me the film was a big disappointment save for the fact that I got to see Angus, Michael and Reggie again but I'll stick with Oblivion.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]