IMDb > "The Royals" (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Royals"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Royals" More at IMDbPro »

love it; brilliant

Author: mkhyde from Canada
26 March 2015

As Canadians, we love to hate the British monarch. I've watched 2 episodes of The Royals and found the writing to be brilliant. Yes, it's a cheesy, campy satire that pokes fun of everything we hate about the monarchy which makes the show loads of fun. So far, the show 'captures' all of the gossip, innuendos and life events of the real royals. My mother was a devout royal watcher so I'm aware of the similarities between the show and the real royal family. If you weren't so aware of these events/gossip, the show wouldn't have as much meaning. The actors are spot on to their ''real life' counterparts AND I can't believe they found an actress to play Eliz. Hurley's daughter who looks exactly like her! I'm holding out giving the show 9 stars as I wait and see if they can keep going with the brilliant writing (they certainly have enough 'real life' royal debauchery situations to write about).

love

Author: skyewashburn
27 April 2015

this show is the cherry on top of my weekend after a long week. Absolutely love the over the top writing. Sometimes there is a need to escape the reality of carpools,sports,bedtime stories etc and consume yourself with some good "not so" old fashioned fun. With so much violence and negative/repetitive 24/7 news, this show is refreshing. Too much political correctness these days. Hoping for a season 2 with just as much scandalous antics and drug and sex fueled episodes that are far from the royal reality. My four children know that mom is not to be interrupted for one hour on Sunday evenings. At the end of the show I come back to the real world and kiss my children goodnight. If The Royals does not get picked up for a second season, well, FML. ha

Humorous - brats with money and power

Author: jamesrcunliffe
31 March 2015

I've enjoyed every minute thus far. The writing is witty and while at times predictable, it's a real laugh to watch the kids get even or get back at those that cross them.

The acting is good and I think believable. I especially like the fresh faces (William Moseley, Alexandra Park) and the choice of Elizabeth Hurley as Her Majesty.

The show thrives on the conflict between family, royalty, responsibility and the vagaries of youth and mischievousness.

If you've seen The Tudors, it has that feeling with a modern day twist.

This does not represent the real Royal Family in any way but it is still fun to watch.

Elizabeth Hurley should be listed first in 'Stars', not Joan Collins.

Oddly amusing; total kitsch.

Author: sweety_pi from United States
21 March 2015

It's kind of painful to watch with the pop music underscore. I wonder if it's more painful to watch for a British citizen or an American? I wouldn't write it off just yet. There are some subtle actions and dialog that make it interesting. Can people be so on/off with their feelings and behavior? How can I get ten lines out of this? Of course the settings are beautiful. Almost there. I wonder if the writers will handle the question of funding the ongoing Royal lifestyle versus the private wealth that they hold. All sorts of other interesting aristocrats to add to the mix. Can they make the commoners interesting? They can also handle royal privilege versus duty versus common privilege and duty.

Actually quite funny but let down by English actors speaking American

Author: rickforbes-59441 from England
15 April 2015

I'm finding this quite amusing as a deliberately trashy spoof.

The actors play their characters well but are let down by screen writing giving them phrases they would never use. E.g. Queen: "Where were you raised" (brought up) Guy on motorbike: "Do you need a ride" (lift)

.... as well as a multitude of basic mistakes using lines we never use here.

It seems unlikely that the large cast of English actors didn't point these out but I suppose they were ignored.

It will be interesting to see if the characters start "reaching out" to each other, saying "like" every few words or go the whole hog and turn into Bill and Ted. Awesome Dudes!

Unusual take for a fictional modern Royal Family drama

Author: cho_chang_ph
18 March 2015

When the first time I heard about The Royals, I was thinking of the Tudor-type drama but it turned out to be a modern day Royal Family arrangement, with significant relations that we knew today.

I was very intrigued on the TV Trailers and to know more on the main characters in general perspective. Likely they put it more in twist so that it would not look like the real Royal Family. So when I first watched the pilot episode, there are so many twist and turns that the mystery would be unfold for the later episodes. And in the end you will want more of it.

I was admired on Elizabeth Hurley's portrayal of Queen Helena - something that I never saw her like that on TV. And also London playing the character city in order to embrace the essence of the story.

I would give this TV series a chance to show it what it made of, and to prove that it is not cheesy enough to watch it in the first place.

Most promising show ever I LOVE IT

Author: katiaatsss from Europe
31 March 2015

THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

totally obsessed with it!it is one of the shows that drag you within the first minute!!love the actors (besides the Queen-thought that her role on Gossip Girl was much better but anyways i like her cold-blood side)...every episode makes me more and more of a fan and i am sure that we will experience great time with this show!love the harmony that comes with the face and the presence of the King (really nice choice of an actor),the purity of the King-to-be,love the intrigue, the plot ,the fight between Queen and Princess ,the weird cousins, the desperate-for-attention uncle (the anarchy in the monarchy) but mostly the thing between Jasper and Princess Eleanor i am sure she will fall for him at the end...i am saying this with my hand on my heart each second of the 45 minutes IS TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!MUST SEE

Not your typical royal family instead it's life of wild times, sex and blunt and provocative ways!

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
24 April 2015

Been watching this new series the very first one ever made for the E! network and I must say "The Royals" does deliver! True this probably is not how the typical royal family acts in England, but still this series is feel good feel free fun! The series no matter how good is fiction and it has plenty of family drama as it follows the times of this British royal family not just thru London, but thru the world of their travels! And even though this family tries to keep tradition they have plenty of their own vices from heavy drinking to having a lot of sex! True keeping the price of fame is a royal job all together while facing public scrutiny! Anyway the real eye candy treat is seeing the still hot and beautiful Elizabeth Hurley play the cougar type Queen Helena! Mrs. Hurley anytime I see her it's such an eye candy treat as she is the wings and shoulders of this series! So check out "The Royals" it's a feel good time and it's good to see Mrs. Elizabeth in a series.

Footballer's Wives!

Author: smd_89 from London, England
5 April 2015

This show reminds me of a show that was on a few years ago called Footballer's Wives because there's lots of bitchiness, the characters are very rich, there's a lot of glitz and glamour, it's very sexy and debauched and there's lots of getting drunk, taking drugs and scheming. It's funny at times and I just cannot take it seriously! It's very very British, obviously, being about a 'pretend' British monarchy. It's ridiculous and as I was watching I was thinking none of this would ever happen. It's complete and utter trash but I just couldn't stop watching! So basically pretty much exactly how I felt about Footballer's Wives at the time it was out, but it was dangerously addictive and so is The Royals! You just have to keep watching to find out what crazy stuff is going to happen next! It's ultimate guilty pleasure viewing, I don't think you're supposed to take it seriously because the show itself doesn't take itself seriously either! Well that's what Footballer's Wives was like anyway and The Royals seems to be similar too in that way. The acting is pretty dire especially Elizabeth Hurley, awful!

..definitely benefits from multiple episode viewing

Author: bjarias from United States
5 August 2015

This might be for many a tough one to get into right out of the box. But once you wade through a couple-three episodes you know pretty much what you're getting yourself into... and it actually gets somewhat better as time goes by. And possibly by the end of S1, you just might find yourself surprisingly looking forward to S2. The casting job is top notch.. as are the performances of most all the actors. There is a flavor here for most everyone, and the ones worth looking at.. are really worth looking at (notably Poppy Corby-Tuech.. she's just absolutely gorgeous)! Is it well over the top.. undoubtedly.. and that's exactly the point. Actually, looking at what they are trying to accomplish is nowhere near easy.. and yet they pull the majority of it off pretty darn well. Doesn't always pay off, but sometimes hanging in there gives just reward.