IMDb > "The Odd Couple" (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Odd Couple"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Odd Couple" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Why the Laugh tracks

Author: sonni7 from Australia
27 February 2015

The laugh tracks they always put in comedy shows is so awful , just for that alone I don't want to watch this show. But I do like Perry shame he has another flop on his hands . I think he tries to hard to be funny and it just does not work . I could not even watch the show all the way through the darn laugh track really put me off. I did not laugh at all . So will try again with next episode , but do not hold out much hope . But as usual you have to write more lines for it to be published which is absolutely stupid. Anyway I was sitting her in the dark and right beside me this giant cockroach just crawled up the wall eeek , Well I am use to them so I just swatted him with my fist , so I generally need to go wash my hands now .

I want to like it

Author: drago_85 from Sofia, Bulgaria
27 February 2015

I was actually looking forward to this for two reasons: - it was said to fill the void after 2.5 Men, covering the premise before Ashton - namely the laid-back vs. stiff one (like Charile and Alan). We all know the concept is not new at all but worked in 2.5 Men for the whole first 8 seasons and toward the end I really missed it. On the other hand, Perry was and still is my favorite "friend", I enjoyed his previous TV shows "Mr Sunshine" and "Go On" and I wanted to see him in action again.

After seeing the pilot I feel like listening to the recent work of once a favorite music band of mine - The Prodigy. Man, I want to like it! Here is what I saw:

- there is no chemistry among the cast at all

- jokes, situations, dialogue seem forced (very) and not funny. - acting in the first 12 minutes is of unbelievably low quality, Perry is like some underachiever from mediocre acting class (I could not believe this and I don't wanna get into much detail about the rest of the cast).

It started to pick up by very (and I mean very!)small steps toward the end, prompting me to give another chance to the second episode but after 5 minutes into it nothing really changed. So, this is good-bye from me.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Author: Michael Thompson
13 January 2016

America has managed some superbly crafted TV series. In no order of merit, Hill Street Blues, L.A Law, E.R. and NYPD Blue. So, what happened,,,,,here ?????.

Someone has managed to take the superbly written Odd Couple, by Neil Simon, and turn it into the biggest load of shallow junk I've ever struggled with, I say struggled, because I truly wanted to like it, and I am also amazed that Mathew Perry is involved with the production of this series.?????

I don't need to tell mature film fans, that the original Odd Couple movie is a classic. Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau hit the nail right on the head. Thanks to the genius script writing of Neil Simon.

I honestly cannot understand why Mathew Perry wanted any part of this garbage?????

If American can touch base with superb human drama's as above, why cant they do the same with comedy.???????. Mathew Perry, you are acting your heart out with what amounts to shallow junk......

from a Classic to a Shame

Author: dimbost
3 March 2015

Spoilers!! If the show hasn't been canceled yet, it is only a matter of time.

I was really looking forward to this show, i loved both of the Odd couple film, granted the second wan't any where as good as the original, but compared to the show was still lights years away.

The show's acting is okay at best, i mean 50% of the time it is good and then it is over the top and unbelievable. and then at times it seems like they are not even trying to act but are just saying their lines. And this is coming from me, who actually liked their chemistry in 17 again. Both Thomas Lennon and Mathew Perry seemed like they were best friends, but in the Odd Couple it clearly isn't the case.

The Dialogue is too cheesy, even though i see that they tried keeping original theme in mind, but it just didn't translate in to modern day through the writer of the show.

The Laughter maker, this thing drove me nuts within the first 4 minutes. I mean it didn't stop, as if every line said, every movement, was hilariously funny.

Overall this was a good idea and a great concept, but poorly executed.

Give this 2/10 for the effort and the thought of bringing back great stories and ideas to life.

Lose the Laugh Track

Author: jdthomas1-247-904850 from United States
23 February 2015

The show has potential but it is hard to concentrate on the plot and the acting with that awful and annoying laugh track blasting after every line of dialog is spoken. It is very loud and serves no purpose. I think we know what is, or is not funny and when to laugh. Hearing canned laughter does not make it funnier and does not make me want to laugh.

I am anxious to see how the characters evolve and how Oscar and Felix's relationship grow. So far their relationship seems shallow which leaves the writers with plenty of opportunity to make this the next great sitcom. Please don't blow it. I will be watching for more chemistry to develop between the main characters as well as the supporting cast.

Sitting on the fence

Author: Alexa Tahiraj from Canada
19 February 2015

This show had it's moments and at times I did laugh. I think my biggest problem with the show is that I remember how well Jack Klugman and Tony Randall played Oscar and Felix. They are very big shoes to fill and I am sure I am not the only one who will compare all of them. I also had problems trying to separate Chandler Bing and Oscar Madison. This happens frequently when an actor plays a part for a long time as Matthew did in friends(10 years).

The best part of this show was when Dave Foley and Wendell Pierce were at Oscar's. I was saddened to see that Dave is only in one episode though.

I believe the show has potential and given time they can do well with the show. But sometimes it is better to just remember how great some of the old shows are and make new comedies.

Awful

Author: francesm-14211
20 July 2016

I never wrote any reviews for any shows before in my life but this one I had to and I am sorry but you can not redo a classic especially this one.

I grew up watching the Odd Couple and I was really interested in watching this new version but ugh no I can't.

How can one try to impersonate the great Jack Klugman? Please don't!

Tony Randall and Jack Klugman were hysterical together!! This version...I have no words please if You wanna see the Odd Couple rent the movie better yet watch the old shows!

RIP Gary Marshall this was one classy show! It will be with me for always.

Not bad. I should say lighthearted and enjoyable.

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
17 May 2015

When you try to recreate something that some people are considering it a classic, obviously you are going to get bashed. How about when that something tries to recreate two "classics"? So. There is a 1968 American black comedy film written by Neil Simon,and starring Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. AND...a 1970 TV series starring Tony Randall and Jack Klugman! Both are considered as "classics". (Also there was a play back in 1965 and a ...cartoon with the same characters) Haven't seen the movie and I barely remember the series (except the characteristic music theme) so I'm not going to compare them with the 2015 incarnation.

It's about Felix and Oscar. Two divorced men. Felix is neat and tidy while Oscar is sloppy and casual. They share a Manhattan apartment, and their different lifestyles inevitably lead to conflicts and laughs.

Obviously such a premise is not as modern as it might looked half of a century ago but there is still enough material to create some comical situations.

In the 2015 version Thomas Lennon stars as the neat Felix and Matthew Perry as the loose Oscar. I'm now watching the 11th episode and I can say that after a slow start, it is getting better. There is some chemistry between the 2 actors but is Thomas Lennon that holds the show in my opinion. Perry is a great comedian but here is mediocre. As Oscar, the only feeling I get from him is that he cares about Felix. Otherwise the comedic elements are less prominent.

The script in the latest episodes is good. Some of the secondary characters get more plot lines and that benefits the show. Especially Lindsay Sloane who plays Emily a bartender who is in love with Felix.

There is a fake laugh track that I always consider a minus.

Overall: It's OK. Not bad. I'll keep watching. I know there is some hate but IMO don't take it into any account. It's possibly because there is the recreation of 2-5 classics and maybe because Matthew Perry has many haters. For me it is lighthearted and enjoyable.

As much as I wanted to love it for Perry, it's average.

Author: Di Bobi
16 May 2016

Unlike Chandler in Friends, who was incredibly hilarious, charming, swift and energetic with his frantic movements and comedic expressions, Matthew Perry's character in this show barely moves, feels completely emotionless and, to be honest, it's almost as if Perry's acting bad and out of place on purpose. There are many situations where his lack of human facial expressions is cringe-worthy and out of place with what's happening.

I know he can do infinity times better, but he's not trying for some reason. He's my second favorite comedy actor ever, but he's not acting up to his potential, at all. I can't possibly explain why he'd do that. I'm not expecting him to jump around like he did 20 years ago but at least to express himself trough some body language and facial expressions a bit more, like he used to, all that is why we loved him.

The rest of the cast are also charming and good, not much to say there. They seem to be trying hard enough, with good results, unlike Perry, who can crank this show to a top-rated comedy if he tried. Which he isn't. Again, no idea why.

Felix's character is portrayed amazingly by his actor. Perhaps the best performance I've seen in over a decade. The actors who play Danny & Teddy are also fantastic and charming. Emily's character (and actor) are a bit stale, but that might be due to the way the character's written. I think she can get on Felix's crazy level eventually, which would be awesome.

The show was catchy for the first season and I was waiting the second one impatiently, but so far it's going a bit downhill. They drove the narrative that apparently a single middle-aged man is doomed to date old women and it's "oh so bad" if he dates a younger one. You wouldn't see that narrative if he were a female, I bet. That's the first thing that frustrated me this season. Perry has the habit of over-complimenting old, ugly women which is ridiculous and unrealistic and can be seen this season, as well as in his appearance in Courtney Cox's show. It's always frustrating to see someone throwing shallow, over-the-top compliments to an old woman with a wrecked, plastic-surgery face, like Cox.

Back to this show. A middle-aged female love interest was introduced way too early and I didn't have to guess one bit she'd be dropped after a few episodes for a ridiculous reason (considering Oscar had to dump a hot young girl for her), and all that was a full-on waste of time, because it's too early to write a serious love interest for Oscar. In fact, it shouldn't be obligatory to have one. No idea why Perry's rushing this, and again, pathetic chasing of low-tier love interests shouldn't be a show's main plot-driver. As well as moping for not having such. This may come as a shocker, but seeing men portrayed as pathetic, with low self-esteem and putting average-to-unattractive and rude women on pedestals isn't exactly inspiring me to keep on watching and enjoying. Also great role modelling when the young girl Oscar dumped poured a drink on him all privileged and as if that's normal, with him not putting her in her place for that and just being a simp about it. Here's an idea - a little less pandering to women and a little more gender-neutral humor can make this show stand out amid a sea of BS pandering shows. A single guy like Oscar should know how to make the best out of single life, but he's getting written as a pathetic, desperate loser already, after just a few episodes of him being empowered by single life. May I remind you what happened to the Joey show when they went for the pathetic love interest chasing-driven plot? It got canceled.

Don't write those two male characters to be pathetic, keep empowering them and keep the funny vibes. Don't cliché it up just after one season. The show has great potential and I'm hoping it'll get back on track soon. It's literally the only show that can appeal to men for a change, and send out a positive message, so don't turn it in the opposite, because every other show is.

I don't want to see yet another promising Perry show get canceled, so take the advice and go back to the first season's direction, because what you're starting to do has been done countless times and doesn't reflect reality one bit.

Who Cast This?

Author: nicksmusic from Boston
16 April 2015

Sorry but this is nothing like the original , there is no I repeat no chemistry between the actors, Its like spending a million dollars on opening an upscale restaurant on the location and putting a inexperienced cook in the kitchen with awful food. I totally agree with the others as far as the laugh track goes, it needs to go. Even if the writers and producers are relying on a new audience and not comparing anything to the original , its just not funny. How does a show like this even get to the production phase? The previews say its the number one new comedy ,according to who???? I would be surprised if this show makes it 6 months without being canceled.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]