IMDb > "Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll" (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll" More at IMDbPro »

Best TV show I've seen in years

Author: Frederique14 from Netherlands
8 August 2015

Halfway the first season of Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll, I can say I am absolutely in love with this show. I love how the series is a hilarious, cynical comedy about the music industry, but also a funny and heart warming family comedy.

On top of that there's this great music that makes this show extra special. I have had Liz Gillies' songs from this show, like 'Animal' and 'New York 2015' on repeat for days now.

The cast is excellent. Everyone has great chemistry together. The fact that they had lots of room for improv gave them the chance to show just how talented they all are.

The shows mix of comedy, drama and music is a perfect fit for Liz Gillies. She has an amazing talent for all and for me is the star of SDRR.

The only downside I can find is that the episodes are so short. I would love to see longer episodes in a next season, so we can enjoy more of this great show.

The show that brings real music back

Author: Avan McGillz from London
19 July 2015

After watching the first episodes of Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll I can say that this show has stolen my heart. The series is a comedy mixed with drama and music that at first looks like to be about an old rock band trying to get together but basically is most about the relations between the band members.

The casting is very well done, the chemistry is between the actors is great. Elizabeth Gillies who plays Gigi, makes the most impression in both acting and singing. She is a true talent and a great find by producer and actor Denis Leary.

The music part of the series is what makes it stand out from all other shows about bands and fame. All music was recorded live and this you see back in the episodes: it makes it look like you're watching a live concert. The live music makes it so much more believable and brings us back to a time where we had real music instead of auto tune. Gillies voice is phenomenal and shows that real music still is possible.

Hilarious Send-Up Of the State of Popular Music

Author: Jason Daniel Baker from Toronto, Canada
30 July 2015

Denis Leary plays Johnny Rock - a manipulative, egomaniacal, Washed-up, womanizing, drug-addict rock legend who is loathed by other musicians and particularly his former band-mates. He continually attempts to revive his career and vents about the excesses of the music industry that are holding him back.

Formerly the front-man of the Heathens - a much loved late 1980s/early 1990s band Johnny has gradually ended up further back in his career than where he started as the series begins. His ultimate low-point comes when he puts the moves on Gigi (Elizabeth Gillies) a woman young enough to be his daughter who actually turns out to be his daughter.

The hits keep on coming as she coerces him into re-forming the Heathens to serve as her own vehicle to pop stardom. Johnny is still on board to write songs with Flash (John Corbett) the former band-mate who despises him. But Gigi, who turns out to be ten times the singer her father ever was has displaced him as Heathens lead vocalist.

Johnny does his level best to be a father to his long-lost daughter whilst scheming to feed his substance abuse and to regain the momentum his career once had. Diplomacy remains far from his strong suit and as self-appointed arbiter/guardian of rock 'n' roll's legacy he pulls no punches (Like Leary's stand-up act).

A music historian with impeccable accuracy for someone whose mind has been blasted on booze and hard drugs for decades, his scathing criticisms and prescient observations strike with the accuracy of a stealth bomber. The show itself stages epic send-ups of rock star excess right down to the minutiae of the song-writing process which are absolutely side-splitting.

Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll is nothing less than a brilliant satire of the music industry and I speak as a music critic (Uber Rock Magazine in Britain). The opportunities for mining a raunchier/grittier kind of humour that prime-time network TV won't touch make it a perfect sitcom for cable TV.

Denis Leary hasn't lost any of his bite as a writer and this show is a perfect outlet.

Elizabeth Gillies is so amazing!

Author: arianahoffman143
26 August 2015

Elizabeth Gillies is so amazing! She is really the star of this show. She is best in both comedy and drama. She has great chemistry with Denis Leary. The father-daughter scenes between Leary and Gillies are my favorite.

Elizabeth Gillies is not only a very talented actress but also an amazing singer. All the songs in the show are live and there are not many who can pull that of. But Elizabeth Gillies can and does a fantastic job.

The episodes are really short but full with great punchlines and hilarious scenes. I really laugh out loud watching this show.

I hope there will be more seasons to come because 10 episodes is way too short and I would love to hear more of the Heathens' music.

Just when I started to lose interest in sitcoms

Author: iwbrandf from United States
31 July 2015

Hilarious, very real as to how these type of people really are, as I am familiar.

Leary is fantastic but so is everybody else.

What I would give to write on this show, so so many avenues these characters could go down that would be funny as hell and heartwarming.

The hatred and love the band has for their leader, makes perfect sense in the genre.

Love the daughter, funny and so darn cute. John Corbett is great too. Great job people!

Oh, did I mention it is hilariously funny?

I'm learning a new lingo such as "testicle tightening surgery to avoid dog balls"

Author: Ed-Shullivan from Canada
23 August 2015

You have to give this series a bit of time and the characters will slowly grow on you. In the initial few episodes the series focused on Denis Leary who plays the lead singer Johnny Rock for the over the hill gang rock band named the Heathens. He discovers that he has a daughter who also wants to be a rock star so who better to learn the ropes then from her dad, the legendary Johnny Rock. Gradually the series expands and each of the Heathens band members develops a personality of their own.

Johnny Rock's lead guitarist and song writer is Flash, played superbly by John Corbett. Episodes 5 and 6 are especially enlightening as the group seeks psychiatric help in episode 5 and in episode 6 the story line revolves around what tattoos mean to each of the group members.

Denis Leary admits to being an egotistical drug addicted rock star which is what it takes to stay on top of his game and keep his band together after so many years of a rock music legends top ten drought. Mrs. Shullivan and I have grown to enjoy the series episodes and with only four episodes of season one still remaining we are optimistic that the series will survive for a season 2. If you recall Denis Leary's previous hit series Rescue Me took a little bit of time before developing a dedicated audience and then went on for seven seasons.

I have upgraded my original rating from a 5 to a 7 and I took the time to write this review to tell other viewers to stick it out and you will find that the series will grow on you as it has on us. I am a bit worried though of what I am learning about the rock lingo such as avoiding "dog balls" by having surgery on my privates. What a hoot!

7/10 rating

Great show!

Author: Thura Beckman
22 September 2015

I really loved Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll! I'm kinda sad the first season is over already. The best things about this show? First, Elizabeth Gillies as Gigi. She is a great talent, charming and beautiful. She portrays the different sides of Gigi very good and is a fantastic singer. Second, the music of this show is great. There are some really awesome songs like Animal and Complicated. Best is that they sing everything live on the episodes. Third, the story is hilarious. It is a great comedy, fast and rough and I laughed out aloud a lot watching it. Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll absolutely deserves a second season! I hope we get one next year with even more great music.

great show

Author: hannahsigriddottir
12 September 2015

The first season of Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll is already near the end, but I have the feeling it just started. It is a great show with harsh, sometimes painfully true humor about family and music. The first season evolves about former rock star Johnny Rock who gets one more chance at fame when Gigi, the daughter he never knew he had, shows up. She wants to get Johnny's old band the Heathens back together, but she wants to be the lead singer herself. It turns out she is amazingly talented - and by the way so is actress/singer Elizabeth Gillies, who plays Gigi and performs all music live on the show. What follows is both a great look behind the scenes of a rock band and a very disturbed family. It is a fantastic combination of comedy and music and a bit of drama. All actors perform the music them self. As said Elizabeth Gillies turns out to be a true talent. The music in itself is very good too. Especially Gillies' songs are a gift to the ear. A very good find of FX. I am very excited to see what next season will bring.

SDRR is absolute fantastic and deserves a chance!

Author: Casey Hayes
25 August 2015

I love this new show! It is truly a great show with comedy, music and drama, almost too much to contain in just a half hour episodes. I understand that for some people the show seems too rough, but give it a chance because there's much more to this show than at first glance. The cast is very well chosen, they all interact great. Elizabeth Gillies is such a talent, she is an amazing actress and an even better (if that is possible) singer. Elaine Hendrix is great too and the smaller characters played by Robert Kelly and Joh Ales (Bam Bam & Rehab) are the funniest. I also love that you can actually get the music of the bands they play in the series is really on Itunes and Spotify under the name of the bands: The Assassins and The Heathens. Now it's just waiting for the Gigi & Assassins to produce an album and go on tour.

An actual Laugh Out Loud comedy (finally!!)

Author: joshineuropa from Canada
6 August 2015

This is a show I've been waiting for. Finally a funny, laugh out loud comedy has come to TV again. The premise of Leary being a washed up rock star is the perfect vehicle for his smart ass comedy to shine through again. But it is not only Leary who shine in this show, his choice of Elizabeth Gillies as his daughter, who is trying to break into the industry is perfect. Not only is she talented as an actress, but man, this girl can sing. Not some auto-tuned pop princess. As Joan Jett said "This girls gonna be huge. The music in the the show is good, old rock and roll, something that is sorely missing today. I also love the fact that they take to task the sorry state of the music industry today. Seeing 'Lady Gaga' dressed as a green pyramid caused me to actually spew my drink across the living room. The other actors compliment the leads very nicely, they actually seem like they were once rock stars now on the setting sun side of fame. And having rock royalty like Dave Grohl and Joan Jett doing cameos doesn't hurt. I hope this show goes on for a few more seasons, because this one is actually really good. Give it a watch. You won't regret it. Rock On!! \m/ \m/