IMDb > Courier X (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Courier X More at IMDbPro »

This movie wants to be more

Author: Damian G
23 December 2016

Where to start?

This movie should rank somewhere at the top of B-rated movies. If you have nothing else to watch at the time, or just want some background noise while cooking, this is what you put on.

To be fair, it does start off rather well with some good acting. The first 30mins are mildly entertaining, but then it just flops. It fails to follow through and deliver when it really matters. It's dull past 45mins and definitely not something you would watch on the big screen unless you into REALLY dull movies.

Switching over to the weather channel without pausing wouldn't make you feel that you've missed much.

It just wants to be more ... shame it's not

Excellent Low-Budget Film

Author: tellyw13 from United States
14 January 2017

I thought that this was an excellent movie.

Acting: The acting could have been lacking in some respects, however, I thought that the style of acting and actors used here added to the realism of the story (if I can use that word "realism"). The acting seemed, to me, to be more on the natural side of how things would go in these sorts of situations.

Camera-work: Excellent camera work. I didn't have to steady my eyes on any of the scenes because it was moving around too much. The panning was fantastic.

Music: Great music. The fit wasn't perfect, but, I could see that a great deal of effort was put into the music selection.

Ambiance: I loved it. Many areas of the movie were quiet, which I liked. I felt like it let me simply absorb the natural environment and focus more on the characters.

Visual: Great visual appeal, considering that this was what I consider to be a "low budget" film. Did some of the environments look outdated? Yeah, I thought so. But, I think that bigger question is, "does the film get its point across to the viewer"? I think that it did. So what that the office looked funny. An office is an office, no matter what it looks like. Why does there _need_ to be a "CIA-type" office? Any office will do.

Story: fantastic story. I loved it all. I loved the pace given with the movie. I liked the main character's acting, though, I could see why some would call it "less than stellar". I especially liked the section before the credits that helped to answer some questions.

Overall, I loved this movie. I think that, for the budget these individuals had, that they did a fantastic job. I will always look forward to intense and detailed movies such as this. Fantastic job.

A slow cooking espionage thriller

Author: mallaverack from Australia
29 December 2016

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the reviews so far written about this movie. It seems the budget was fairly limited; the pace of the movie was very slow in the main; acting was not of a particularly high caliber throughout. However, the pace picked up towards the end making this a watchable espionage tale. For those interested in the CIA involvement and the implications of criminal activity by a government agency, this movie should whet your appetite to perhaps seek out better movies/reading material about this period in US history. Still a worthwhile production. Two of the characters who made a creditable impression were Nathan Volgel and Charles Alexander' It seems almost ironic that the closing credits describe Trenlin as an operative whose ability to "..remain calm in stressful conditions made him a preferred 'contractee' of the CIA" In all honesty I found this character to be almost lacking emotion and maudlin in the extreme.

This is actually a quite watchable film

Author: BasicLogic from United States
24 December 2016

with cloak-and-dagger suspense, betrayal and backstabbing, political conspiring, shyster-mobster and intertwined human relationship all woven and fabricated together, allowing you to know some truth and facts behind Iran-Contra scandal during Reagon administration.

The movie could be much much better, if 1) The script could be more condensed, the tempo from scene to scene, setting to setting, locality to locality much much faster, 2) with more production budget, 3) a better director, 4) more appropriate casting 5) better post-production editing.

But in real world, this film just turned out to be snail-crawling slow, loosely relayed sequence, and boring acting. A film produced in 2016 couldn't even catch up the tensed paces like what we saw in "Three Days of the Condor (1975)". Lot of scenes showed the shortage of limited budget. The CIA headquarters just looked like some small company's office, only with several key characters, all worked in tight small offices, the CIA director's office got a staircase that made his office looked very funny. The journalist's scenes, simply looked primitive and unrealistic...There are lot of segments that should be paced 300% faster, yet simply turned to be like the speed of the locomotive when we pioneered from the east to the west coast.

There's only one thing that I have to point out: The dialog sometimes quite strong and top-notched with depth and cynicism, but due to the loose script, the mediocre directing and extremely low budget, making this film looked more like adapted from John Le-Carre's deadbeat boring espionage novels. A 2016 movie's tempo is 1000 times slower than a 1975 one, an absolutely shame!