IMDb > "Jane the Virgin" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jane the Virgin"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Jane the Virgin" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The Best New Show of 2014

Author: jgalt1 from United States
16 October 2014

I came in with trepidation. The whole premise is preposterous. How wrong could I have been? Turns out very.

"Jane the Virgin" (still not thrilled with the title) is beyond charming. The lead actress is adorable and so believable -- even in this jaded age. The switching between English and Spanish dialog (please don't change this; Americans don't like sub-titles but the gimmick works) -- muy excelente! The very witty writing about cultural mores, traditional and contemporary, is something very missing in today's entertainment. I caught a repeat episode of "Mike and Molly" the other night (I've only seen the first episode and did not laugh once) and was reminded of the raw, crude language that completely turned me off; that is not comedy. Yet, it is the norm today, unfortunately.

Go ahead and take the plunge -- give "Jane the Virgin" a try. She will steal your heart; she already has mine.

Fresh and humorous

Author: mimiray4 from Tampa, FL
14 October 2014

It's presented in a comedic style that isn't meant to be taken seriously. I've seen others that commented that there was nothing funny about the situation and wondered why she didn't sue the doctor....as I stated....it is a COMEDY. If this were a reality show, it would have to involve lawyers, investigators and medical professionals. Nothing about this show feels like reality. It is presented as entertainment. I found it entertaining. It is based on an earlier Spanish version that had the lead character as a 17 year old girl, which is way more realistic if she is supposed to be a virgin. However the fact that the lead in this version is 24 adds to the humor. How many 24 year old educated attractive women in a serious relationship with a guy in law enforcement determined to stay a virgin until marriage could there be? Just saying....I think if you like a good mystery (this show also has suspense) and satire, I think this show is worth checking out. It doesn't hurt that all the actors are very attractive.

Refreshing and phenomenal. A perfect mix of TV culture.

Author: andreced10 from Cebu, Philippines
11 November 2014

Coming from a country that airs cheap telenovela, it's refreshing to watch an improved everything of what a telenovela should be.

Jane the Virgin is one of the shows that do not care what the current audience wants to see / is interested to see. The plot is in itself far away from what a typical viewer is interested to watch. The plot is outrageous and in the nature of telenovelas. The creators made the show at high stakes but they also reaped greater rewards.

The cast is perfect. Each cast can carry a scene a telenovela would but with a very "American TV-show" feel. The fact the they are all talented, beautiful, and god-help-me-I'm-dying-of-laughter funny can't hurt.

What I hate about telenovelas (Aside from seeing them 5 times a week, yes, 5 times a week ) is the repetitiveness and pacing. That's not a problem with this show. I like how the show foreshadow scenes and repeat scenes with very minor but very impactful changes. The "American TV-show" pace is perfect too.

I just can say that if you like watching TV shows but is kind of bored of the mainstream vampires, sci-fi, superheroes, crime, teen girl, drama, kind. You might just be blown away with this gem of a show. This show need more hype.

Perfect

Author: xocrazykilz from Columbia, Missouri
24 May 2015

After completing the first season of this show, I have to say it's definitely one of my favorites. It's interesting and not something typical of other shows, since the storyline is so twisted. There for awhile, it felt like keeping up with everything that was happening in the season was going to be difficult, but it's definitely not if it is something that you find interesting. If you find it interesting, you'll be glued to the TV/computer until you finish it, and then bawl your eyes out, maybe. It's not too hard to keep up with, but the storyline is unique and perfect for those who are in their late teens through early 30's, in my personal opinion.

A fresh new comedy about an impossible situation

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
15 October 2014

This is a fresh new comedy about a girl who, without having a single sexual intercourse, ends-up pregnant and by a man who knew and was in love with him.

I'm spoiling you just a little (!) because the series, right from the start doesn't insist on presenting the fact as an immaculate conception or some other kind of miracle.

This a modern comedy with engaging visuals and without a pre-recorded laugh track.

The actors are good enough and although the series is in English, there are lots of dialogs in Spanish that for me adds to the comedic element of the show because of the way the actors are delivering their lines AND the "Latin Lover" narrator.

I only saw the pilot and as I said the solution to the mystery on why Jane got pregnant without having sex is given a couple minutes after the fact. It may be a miss opportunity for a couple of episodes there, where Jane's grandmother (a woman with strong religious beliefs), could be insisted that the pregnancy was a miracle, gather the neighbors to pray etc. but the writers passed it from the beginning.

Good comedy so far. I'll watch the next episodes to see how it goes.

A soap any like other

Author: Shakeel Ahmad Tabish
29 November 2015

I have a disclaimer, "I do not like soaps at all". Every soap that I accidentally saw growing up with my family made me realize why I hated soaps. Why am I telling all this? Because "Jane the Virgin", is unlike any other soap I have ever seen. Most soaps are boring, tedious, unnecessary twists, stretched, overly dramatic and too serious or trying too hard to be funny. The best thing about this show is that it avoids all of these mistakes.

This show can be taken and is a good satire on soaps in general and telenovellas in particular but it also has merits of its own. It doesn't solely rely on making fun on other soaps to be successful. It is genuinely funny and has enough twists to keep the audience engaged. Also the little messages the show gives in a few moments in every other episode are real and relatable to us average mortals.

The show also has a wonderful take on life in general. It tells us that we should not take our lives too seriously and not everything is in our control. We think most of the times that we are the leaders of our destiny and we can shape our lives any way we want. Yes to a certain extent we can but we should never rule our environment and the part played by it in our destiny. The show even goes a step beyond this general realization that I stated, it teaches us how with all the unexpected turns and twists in life we keep growing and moving on and life never stops. This is the sort of outlook on life the show promotes and it is a very good message in my opinion. Every one should watch this show! :)

love this show

Author: mizgiron from cape cod mass
5 November 2014

I absolutely love this, the Spanish and English, the funny jokes, the chemistry all of it. Finally something Latin that I love to watch. I'm hooked. Love it. Why aren't there more funny shows like this ? I hate having to wait until Monday to watch it but it's worth the wait. I also like the fact that they showcase certain traditions that Latin families still try to keep in this generation. I just simply enjoy the show and I've even gotten friends and family to watch. I have to say that my favorite Characters are Jane, the grandmother, the mother and of course Rafael. The dialog is fun to watch and you can relate to some of the characters also.

Extremely Charming!

Author: kkscudder
14 September 2016

I have only watched the first season of Jane the Virgin but I found it extremely hilarious! This show is super charming but it definitely has quite a bit of suspense. Jane is such a sweetheart and loves wholeheartedly! Her mother and grandmother truly make the show with their humor and motherly advice. Jane's relationships with Michael and Rafael get pretty complicated but they add just the right amount of drama to the show. I would recommend this show to anybody who enjoys drama and comedy! Some parts of the show are very action packed but others are full of heartfelt moments! Jane goes on a crazy roller coaster of emotions throughout the show but you'll love to watch her transformation!

On a steady decline across all the dimensions

Author: nyccents from United States
7 December 2015

Have just binged watched over the last couple of weeks, from episode 1 to episode 29 and sadly, as fun as the beginning was--it is on a slow and steady decline. It is clearly a telenovela, and amusing as such. A definite departure from credibility, but fun.

However, by episode 29, Jane is simply an annoying as a character--her lack of common sense (despite the narrator's description otherwise), her naiveté, her stubbornness and self-righteousness --all come together to make her very unappealing. I can't imagine why either Michael or Rafael are in love with her even in suspended reality.

On the other hand, one can see why both Michael and Rafael are interesting and desirable mates. They both have more passion and intensity as characters.

The other characters are simply fun.

Overall, the acting is great, but the script writers need to find some way to make the main character, Jane, charming again. Because right now it's a drag to watch her, and the other characters can't carry the show alone.

very un realistic I would not waste your time

Author: bsmith-08757
4 August 2016

So just finished up with the first season and watched two episodes of the second season and decided to watch the last chapter which I'm so happy I did ! Because I didn't waste all my time. The first season was pretty good I love the Spanish and English dialogue! But the writers are just doing to much ! Its very unrealistic. Who would have a baby before having sex ? Rafael and Jane should have had sex I understand the show would lose the title but its stupid to begin with second why are her and Michael getting back together ? I would of liked to see her with Rafael and Petra having Rafael's baby ? That just ruined it. I don't want to see her have his baby they should make the sperm someone else's but in the end Rafael and Petra will probably be together like Jane and Michael. just so happy I didn't waste more time watching this extremely irritated at how it played out. Definitely lost a fan !

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]