IMDb > Arise from Darkness (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Misleading score!

Author: derycketimothy from Netherlands
12 January 2017

First movie review ever!

Normally I never review movies, but I watched this movie intrigued by the stellar 9/10 score... BUT

will end up giving this film a score of 1, for the effort. Worst movie I've tried in a while. Terrible acting, a even worse musical score, shaky camera, moments with useless blurred out images...

Watched the first 13 minutes of credits with the same annoying music... then skipped to the middle part eventually to the last part.

Maybe one day I'd might give it another try...or not.

(still wondering about the 9/10 score... how?!)

Performance of the Supernatural

Author: zinda murda
19 January 2017

The star or stars of the film are the actual demons we hear - exorcisms recorded by the Archdiocese of Detroit. I watched this movie at night and was crept out the first 30 minutes; I turned my lights on as I thought voices were coming out of my bedroom. You wonder if movies that have paranormal recordings can actually open portals to other unworldly dimensions… Okay I'm over exaggerating a bit, but that's what this movie does, my point exactly, you're not actually sure what you're watching or witnessing.

As a viewer you can love it or hate it. For those who believe the supernatural is explained away through science this film will not impress. For those of you who believe in the supernatural then this film will deserve your attention.

Art House Paranormal Thriller

Author: limbusubba44 from USA
18 January 2017

I watched Arise from Darkness formally known as 'When my Eyes go Dark' at the world premier (Film Invasion Los Angeles in August). There was much mystique going into the film -- knowing the story behind the screenplay is actually based on real events and the voices in movie were retrieved from exorcisms performed by the Archdiocese of Detroit. The re branding seems a little commercialized for my taste and perhaps they felt it was necessarily since they now released the film mainstream - maybe they thought better to not stay contained as an independent art house fashionista film.

Nevertheless, the film delivers as highly original with great performances and much distraught. I suggest doing some background on the actual story based on the movie before you watch the film, it will indeed prep you and make you even more interested then you were before. For some of you who don't like art house films or get bored by experimental-ism do yourself a favor and look into the movie before hand. It's hard to imagine anyone would have made a better movie with the resources available to them. Kudos to screenplay writer and actor Zachary Laoutides.

Creepy Art Show

Author: Justin Cruz from United States
17 January 2017

The film is definitely creepy and the film is definitely art house. If I'm going go judge the film on it's actual form 'art house' (which I'm doing) then I did enjoy the strange trip.

The movie is a thriller, tied into the paranormal and shot artistically, at times moving into black and white. I enjoyed the aged film look, at times shaky and blurring documentary style. The soundtrack really helps this style evolve (it can be a bit draggy at times) and keeps you interested in the journey of Lazaro Torres the psychic who died five times.

This film comes from the same studio who made the movie called Adios Vaya Con Dios, taking a gangster genre and making an art house film with UK rock music (UK rock/ambient music is also being used again). Some people are going to like the experimental nature of what this studio, perhaps screenplay writer and actor Zachary Laoutides is trying to accomplish. However, if you're looking for a commercialized film that is sharp and shot with the RED camera, you've come to the wrong place.

Arise from Darkness is a dirty, gritty, throw back film that has mainly silent performances over supposed 'real' demonic voices. Interesting to say the least… For all you indie filmmakers and those who are fans of the paranormal this will be your cup of tea. Overall I'm glad movies like these exist and find their way into the mainstream.