IMDb > "Bosch" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Bosch" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

One LA detective who just wants to do the job, and a great team behind him.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
10 February 2014

Nice start. This is a very solid drama with a great cast. Still dealing with a situation from a case 2 years earlier Bosch the hard boiled, but seemingly very together homicide detective spends every free minute he can get back on the job whether he is allowed to or not. The pilot is very good, it has a Low Winter sun vibe, but less dirty cop-ish, and all LA. The supporting cast are mostly veterans, and even some child actors you may recognize. All in I found that I Enjoyed this first take, and hope that the show continues right where it is, I can see very little that could need improving. I recommend this to anyone who likes the realistic shows like True Detective, and Banshee. Not so much action, but the heart is there.

Bosch is GREAT!

Author: lagravy from United States
22 February 2014

Michael Connelly's Bosch series is one of my favorites. I was thrilled to hear that it was being made into a TV series and was hoping it would live up to the books. I loved the first episode and was not disappointed. Titus Welliver did an excellent job of portraying Bosch. Jamie Hector is cast as his partner, Jerry Edgar, and I think he was very good too. It is very surreal to see your favorite book character come to life in film and I was not sure if a television show could evoke the same feeling as the book. I think the first episode did capture the feelings from the book. Even if you have not read the books, this show would definitely appeal to any crime show fan! When the episode ended, I was wishing there was another episode so I could see what happens - which is funny since I read the books! Great casting, suspense, mystery! Watch it!

More please!

Author: c_l_costa from Surrey, United Kingdom
12 February 2014

As a huge fan of Michael Connelly's Bosch books, I was looking forward to seeing this pilot and I wasn't disappointed. Titus Welliver is the perfect Bosch, the rest of the cast are just as brilliant and the writing and production are both spot on. The story line is in fact two Bosch books woven into one and it has been done very cleverly. Bosch fans have been waiting for twenty years for this character to be put onto film but for me, it was worth the wait. I would dearly love to see this made into a complete series. Titus Welliver is as brilliant as always and has the tormented look behind his eyes that any Bosch fan would expect to see. He may not physically resemble Harry but that is soon forgotten. Watch, enjoy, rate and share!

A solid start with an excellent cast

Author: KarinaGW from Arlington, VA
24 February 2014

Gotta remember that what we all are reviewing now is a pilot and pilots have specific missions: to set up genre, mood & character

Bosch begins sharp and cleanly. It clearly establishes it's well-cast characters and their relationships to each other.

Titus Welliver plays the title character exceptionally well. His backstory is subtly revealed in the occasional dialog bit & look. The culmination of all this at the end is nerve-wracking. The other actors brought into play his co-workers and adversaries are splendid as well. I was especially pleased to see Alan Rosenberg turn up.

I imagine there will probably be a couple performances/relationships that will get tweaked, but that's to be expected....it's a pilot. But, there is absolutely nothing that screams out or even whispers "I was a bad idea, cut me"

The pilot starts the show with two concurrent story arcs, both of which are fairly represented and balanced.

It's nice modern version of the hard-boiled detective. Note: I have not (yet) read the books, so I have no idea if its faithful to them at all, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. I really hope it gets picked up.

Overall it is a winner and deserves to be a winner.

Author: supernana3 from Richmond, VA
18 February 2014

The feel of the books was captured. I am happy with Titus playing Bosch, he nailed it. Good job on his house on the hill looking down on LA and keeping true to his love of jazz. Great background music. In the books, Harry does not drop the "F" bomb like you are doing in this episode. I hope that quits because Michael Connolly wrote with many more words and expressions other than the repeated use of the bomb. Good stories do not need to be inundated with vulgarity. Yes, he did use it on occasion, but only on occasion. Some of the dialog was low and difficult to follow so I will have to watch it again. I read both books, The Concrete Blonde and City of Bones and I am fascinated that the pilot should be a combination of the stories. I am assuming that should the series continue then they will fork off and get more into depth. Each story was very good, especially The Concrete Blonde. I like the idea that Michael Connolly is hands-on with this production so the integrity of his books is maintained. Like I stated earlier, I think the writers can deliver more dialog without resorting to vulgarity so much. I realize that these are cops and the language can get rough, but Connolly gets the toughness across without the constant use of vulgarity. Sorry if I keep on that same theme, but honestly, that is my biggest complaint for the pilot. Otherwise, I would have rated it a 10.

Titus Welliver IS Bosch! excellent pilot! MORE please!

Author: txartist62 from texas
19 February 2014

while eagerly anticipating this show's pilot (and hoping it would be anywhere near as good as Michael Connelly's excellent Harry Bosch novels), frankly i just couldn't imagine who could ever come close to portraying Bosch as i have always pictured him. until Titus Welliver. he is SO incredibly adept and believable at being (as opposed to playing) Bosch, it's uncanny. while i always pictured this character (one of my all time favorite recurring characters...in any books), i never could come up with an actor who i felt would embody all that is Bosch - the quiet intensity, the mannerisms, the looks, the presence and attitude. but, it's all there in this wonderful adaptation of MC's fantastic novels. it feels like the books, with the perfect gritty LA vibe, and i felt like it was Bosch's house come to life. i sincerely hope this becomes a series - if the pilot is any indication of what's in store. it's an excellent show - great acting, cinematography, directing, etc... i was not even slightly disappointed - and Michael Connelly's Bosch books have long been on top of my short list of all-time favorites!

Bosch brought to life... finally

Author: Catz_Rule from United States
22 February 2014

I have loved the books for many years now, I was both excited and worried when I heard that they were producing a series based off of Connelly's work. I happy to say that I am not disappointed. I am so glad that they cast Titus Welliver as Harry, he has been one of my favorite character actors and he brings the intensity needed to be a convincing Bosch. I was also delighted to see Lance Reddick and Alan Rosenberg in the cast. In fact the whole cast is impressive, congrats to the casting agent - good job! What a delight to find the familiar names from the book given faces.

I only have a slight complaint and that it that the first episode is a little cliché with some of its "bad" guys, but given that this is a pilot I'm more than willing to overlook a little heavy handedness. I feel that this will be overcome as the series develops (go back and watch some of your favorite on going program and you'll find that a lot of them are like this).

Overall I really liked the pilot and am anticipating the rest of the series.

(just a little fan girl moment when I saw Angel's Flight!)

Go Bosch

Author: BumbleBoo from Germany
17 February 2014

Just loved this gritty start adapting Michael Connolly's crime series with Harry Bosch as the central character. Acting is great and can't wait to see his characters and stories transferred to the silver screen. Titus Welliver, who plays an LAPD homicide detective, is just the right choice of actor that one imagines when reading Connelly's books, he could have stepped right off the page! The scene settings around LA make me want to go back and visit all the places i missed on my holiday there! My only criticism of this pilot is that stories from 3 books were used to weave into one story about a serial killer. One book can stand on its own but I understand the logic of immediately trying to capture the audience in this pilot. I really recommend this series to viewers who enjoy a good who "dunnit!"

Superb pilot, cannot wait for the next episode

Author: Elizabeth B. from USA
14 February 2014

This pilot episode of Bosch delivers on every level, with an array of top-notch actors, a tightly written script, and believable yet visually appealing backdrops. Titus Welliver's nuanced acting brings to life Michael Connelly's title character, infusing him with equal parts determination, intelligence, and vulnerability. Welliver inhabits the character of Bosch as if he had played him for years, and every gesture and bit of dialog rings true. Welliver is perfectly cast and destined for a long star-turn in this role. Because the writing is crisp and the cinematic quality directing spot-on, every scene fits together and moves at just the right pace. This is online television at its best. My only disappointment was realizing I couldn't watch the next episode yet.

Connolly Hits Home Run

Author: avani1-614-759633 from Tucson, AZ
19 February 2014

**Possible Spoiler Alert** As a former resident of the L.A. area, and a longtime Michael Connolly fan, I was skeptical of any attempt to portray the complexity that is Det. Harry Bosch. I was pleasantly surprised, the casting is superb, and Titus Welliver absolutely nailed the part. Bosch is both charming and annoying, driven but occasionally careless. The plot is an amalgamation of at least two of Connolly's books, and the nod to another was a nice touch. Los Angeles looked fabulous, and every bit an integral part of the story. When the first episode ended, I was left wanting more. Very well done, I really hope this gets picked up.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]