IMDb > Captain America: Civil War (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 115:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

#TeamNeither WWE RAW With Superheroes

Author: Facundo Lafuente Diaz from Buenos Aires
2 May 2016

People says: an Avengers movie with 'emotional depth' and 'moral complexity', and now I have to question what planet they're living on. Seriously, WTF people!! if this is 'emotional depth' and 'moral complexity' then Marsellus Wallace is a bitch! When their operation to stop the theft of a biological weapon in Lagos goes explosively wrong leaving dozens of civilian casualties and themselves under scrutiny. It may be that I'm misremembering, but were there any civilian casualties in the past??? Didn't whole cities go up without anyone even wandering around dazed with a nosebleed? But the plot needs what the plot needs so now the Avengers have always blown up innocent people, which leads to 100 nations gathering together and saying: this must stop. And: you must all be brought under the control of the UN. While Iron Man is for it, Captain America, who is more Brexit, quickly goes rogue and becomes a fugitive. This could have then set the scene for, perhaps, saying something almost interesting about government control, military might and divided loyalties, but instead it results in all the superheroes choosing #TeamCap or #TeamIronMan there are no takers for #TeamNeither, which would have been the sensible option WHY WHY they fight!! Come on!!! Captain America a rebel soldier???

Overstuffed and Undercooked

Author: nathanianhenderson from Australia
1 May 2016

The WINTER SOLDIER is the best MCU film, but its sequel has a serious identity crisis.

Captain America: Civil War wants to be great. But for the most part it isn't. The film is an overstuffed 2 and half hour film that has one too many ideas thrown into the mix. It is essential a cash grab of the BVS variety. But why can't people see this?

Now this is a Captain America as the title suggests. But in the end a more fitting title would read: Bucky VS Ironman: Dawn of who's the Captain's Bestie. The reason I say this is the film felt disjointed to the point of it being a joke. It felt like two separate films weaved together to try and make a film that makes sense. But it didn't It's one half a Captain flick/ the other half a mini Avengers film. But they both drown each other.

It's clear this is a film Marvel wanted to make, but why on earth rush into it? One film could never service this iconic plot line. It should have been gradual, and while we did see Cap and Tony tense up in Ultron, this is where a strain in their relationship should have been definite and it should have still been in effect at the beginning of this film.

For the most part of the Airport sequence there was no real danger. It was a carefully orchestrated scene that showed these films are for young cinema-goers. Even when one character is looked to be written off "BAM" they are back, giving everyone some cheep laughs at the end of the film.

Now from a writing and filmmaking point of view and dare I say it, this film has worse interconnecting scenes then The Amazing Spiderman 2. Re-shoots are obvious, editing is sub par, cinematography lacked style and was evident to be a "quick" point-and-shoot at the action affair. Such a disappointment.

But yes this film has it's fun moments (the same can not be said for BVS). But they can't help a film tailored to a certain demographic that leaves out those looking for a film that doesn't kill a few braincell upon leaving the cinema. The laughs are hardly inspirational writing and forced, so forced.

sidetone: ONLY SOME OF THEM HAVE SUPER POWERS, SO WHY DO THEY ALL RECOVER FROM HARD HITS AND KNOCKS? it's just makes the stakes so much lower and less respectable.

Was decent.....

Author: jakee977
30 April 2016

this movie is so riddled with plot holes, flaws, horrible cgi and horrible jokes its ridiculous the more i think about this film the worse it gets and initially i loved it but man some of the stuff in this film can just not be excused from the horrible villain, the weak plot and character motivations i could go on and on all day. after how great the winter soldier was i thought this next cap would be next level especially with the russos at the helm and wow did it let me down A lot. just not a good film at all

okay all of zemos plans made no sense think about it how would zemos plan even work if falcon never told tony where they went? how and why was there a random camera in the middle of an isolated road in the tree line pointing directly across the road at more trees exactly where bucky killed tonys parents like come on? also bucky broke free of those restraints when he was getting interrogated by zemo why didn't he just cover his ears so he couldn't hear the trigger words? also how did zemo even get in there its a top secret government location not a nightclub a fake id isn't going to cut it the avengers and the government did no extra investigation into the sokovia accords bombing and just ordered a shoot to kill order off of a fake picture? . thats pretty weak for the avengers and the government. zemo is a flaw to me he is only used as a plot device no development what so ever and he is the key to everything happening he could've been great!! the cgi for spidey is horrible man but thats not a big deal to me but spidey ant man and hawk eye are so shoehorned in especially the 2 non avengers like think about it why are they even there? its just for the spectacle but makes no sense you're going to bring a brand new superhero who's 15 years old to a "war" (which it wasn't) and he didn't even need to be there. there's more and more i can keep going on about but they are all overshadowed and clouded by the action and jokes. it was a good film its just not as flawless as everyone is saying it has great action set pieces 10/10 but as a film story etc it isn't that good. i don't want to seem overcritical but thats how everyone was with BvS except i can explain their plot holes no one can explain mine yet

that being said I'm very excited for the black panther movie directed by coogler so that looks like its going to be great because the character has great potential that goes for spidey too they just need to fix his CGI it was horrible in this film and he is one of my favorite character in pop culture period so i hope they do him justice

Only action scenes are good

Author: franciscofernandes36 from Portugal
3 May 2016

Captain America is only a stupid cowboy in this movie. Why does he not sign the regulation papers? He isn't a god like Thor or Superman. Who is Captain America to be above the Law? Superman or a American cowboy? Why did he not tell Iron Man what his best friend have done with H.Stark and his mother? Does he know how to talk with his friends like Tony? I think not. He only knows how to fight... like a perfect soldier...

And what about the conflict? And the consequences? Will we see them? Or Captain is already a friend for Tony? He has given a cheap cellphone to Tony... so... the conflict doesn't matter...

Only the action scenes are good...

Not terrible but still bad

Author: k1nley from Slovakia
14 May 2016

This review contains spoilers and my English is kinda bad.... so lets start: After seeing 8.5/10 my expectations were really high but after watching this movie i was so disappointed (probably the worst marvel film since first CA what is really ironic since CA 2 was one of the top three... ) Story: story is meh, nothing special, just CA and his buddy (with support of 1/2 avengers) against the world My PERSONAL problems with this film : 1. Terrible villain again, didn't remember his name 20min after the movie ended, did pretty much nothing but showed some amazing prophet skills 2.So many stupid things like how did villain know iron man will come at the very end, how did he know nobody told iron man how his parents died, also the big fight at the airport was just too dumb, pretty much all mighty jean nm.2 and vision in the same fight where black widow and hawk eye should just really be hoping, praying and dodging some random explosions... this list could really go on and on 3.SO OVERCROWDED. Why the hell did ant-man join the fight? What is his motivation? How does random Nigerian prince have powers to fight CA and bucky ? HOW ??? Nobody but CA, Iron man and bucky had story behind them (pretty pathetic though),others were just useless guys fighting. At least they didn't ruin Hulk even more :-) 4.Really ? Tony tried to kill his friend CA and bucky and then after being defeated he is f***ing cool with it? Best buddies again? 5.In iron man 3 tony was able to call 30 auto iron mans to fight for him, here he got challenged by a freaking falcon with his wings? Also at the airport he was unable to defeat CA and at the very end he almost rekt two of them ? ... Guess I'm back to stupid stuff... On the other side, good things: 1.Spider-man - yea this kid with no story in movie at all was one of few good funny things about this movie 2.Cool fights right ? All in all , 4/10 (coz i love superheroes movies), 1/10 is to balance things...

These movies have become white noise

Author: hthbrr2 from United States
2 September 2016

I'm confused so much, all these movies sorta blend into each other. Since they are tied together. Hulk, Thor, Cap America, Iron man, etc.... Since the avengers were in this I assumed it was another Avengers movie.

But no it's Captain America: Civil War? Huh? Don't you need the Avengers for a civil war? What it being CIVIL and all. Umm....so confused.

Where is Thor and Hulk, and Loki and and and.....I can go on and on, but you get the point. We really know it was budget issues. They are IN the Avengers, SO why are they not asked to sign? ?????

Confusion. WHY do, ALL OF A SUDDEN, half the avengers seem not to trust Cap???? OH right since that is what the plot needed. This whole movie is just trash. Random spider man and ant man thrown in too, why not? Just whatever at this point. Explosions and random sh*t. Can anyone make sense of these movies anymore?

All started with Cap, the Nazis stole something from Thor/Loki....then he was frozen, woken up....umm Tony Stark's father knew Cap. Umm Cap almost banged Peggy? She did stuff created shield or something....then Hydra got in. Then Loki went crazy, and Thor stopped him, or didn't. Umm then Iron man made suits....Black widow wore tight tight clothes. She was in ballet??? Kissed Cap, but loves Hulk??? Umm....wtf is even happening any more. Robin hood has a secret family??? And who was that guy in a panther suit. RANDOM AS F***! LOL ?????

If you LOVE confusing white noise this is the movie for you!!!!! "Confusing White Noise: The Movie!"

Marvelously Stupid

Author: Vitaly Tomilov from Ireland->Bray
3 May 2016

The story goes, Marvel runs out of ideas. They got excellent stuff shown in the first movie, then something lesser in the second one, and then the third one was like - somebody damn insisted on making it, even though there was no story written...

When the evil is all defeated, the continuation is not due till the next movie, and all avengers are simply bored, in the shortage of anything interesting going on, why not have all the heroes beating the crap out of each other? That should do the trick, and keep the sheep happy.

The movie has no story, its conflict is superficial and borderline idiotic, even for the way the avengers split into two groups had no logic in it, and, of course, no explanation. They just really wanted to flex their muscles, and so they did, period.

One of the worst Marvel films ever

Author: Mr. Nasty from Canada
10 May 2016

Just saw it. Not gonna go in depth but incoherent plot with lack of motivations for a lot of the characters to even fight to begin with. Didn't like the actor who played Spider-Man, his jokes were bad and misplaced in the middle of action scenes. Spider-Man seemed like he was added in at the last possible moment of production as he seemed out of place. I mean Tony Stark shows up and just blindly follows Tony. Black Panther was alright but oh boy does his mind change fast but like Spider-Man, he was shoehorned in. Ant-Man dragged along to be beside Captain America, he just blindly follows Cap.

Too many jokes in the middle of action scenes. Winter Soldier almost killed some of the Avengers but Captain Americas gay love for bucky blinds him from him. Captain America being so stubborn and showing his true colours as a terrible individual as he doesn't seem to care about anyone's safety. I thought Cap was suppose to be a leader but really, this movie only showed lack of leadership skills as he almost got everyone killed.

The highly praised airport fight was not impressive. I'm not sure what people saw here. Zoomed-in action scenes, close up to the faces, lame jokes in between, Black Widow asking if were friends to Hawkeye, camera shaking. The heroes just scatter/disappear and end up on the raft?.

Terrible pacing from one scene to the next. Captain America just having a casual talk with Spider-Man while they are fighting and you can see Evans laughing after he mentions that he's from Brooklyn ugh. So bad and so cheesy. Cap holding the helicopter ugh so cheesy.

They say bucky is brainwashed but in some scenes, he seems to have it together but in other scenes, he don't. If he is brainwashed, why does Zemo need to activate him when he says the code?. After Zemo says the code, he almost killed some of the Avengers but later on, he fights alongside them?. And now he has it together or what?. Is he brainwashed or not, what's going on here?. Why is he back and forth on killing the Avengers and then working beside them?. Ugh so awful.

Chris Evans wooden acting. Lack of facial expressions for the intense moments of the film. Captain Americas lame letter to Tony Stark.

All these Marvel movies and they still can't make War Machine the true badass he is like in the comics. The character has been under utilized since Rhodes has put on the suit. They made him a laughing stock in Iron Man 2. The character has very little screen time in every other Marvel movie. Absolutely awful how they treated War Machine in this movie and previous movies. Terence Howard should be happy that he's not playing this character anymore. Disney/Marvel made him a joke.

RDJ as Tony Stark/Iron Man is fantastic as always. No complaints here, his motivation for killing Bucky makes sense here. Captain America protecting bucky nope other then that they are friends from back in the day.

A lot of the faults people give to BvS which are warranted is also in this movie Civil War. This is not even a Cap Movie, it's a Avenger movie. It's a overcrowded mess with too much going and too many shoe-horned characters and too many characters lacking any real motivation for even fighting each other.

I could go on about why I think this is the worst Marvel film to date. I'm not sure what critics saw here. I rated it a 1 as a place holder and reserved judgement until I saw it. I finally saw it. I'm leaving it at a 1/10. An absolutely awful dreadful film that's only to please the fanboys and children.

I big let down.

Author: phillipmichael-76096 from London, England
9 May 2016

So the year of the big Superhero movies started so well with Deadpool and Batman v Superman, two movies I enjoyed very much, both different from one another and I felt delivered on what they were meant to be.

I was looking forward to Civil War a lot due to the love I have for Cap's previous movie, the Winter Solder. However, this film was a massive disappointment for me.

The film starts off in Wakanda where the Avengers have tracked down terrorists, led by Crossbones and as a result of the confrontation between the two groups, part of a building gets blown up and people die, which all of a sudden is a big deal. Due to that the government wants the Avengers to be reigned in an be controlled solely by the government, which Tony Stark is for (following a brief encounter with the mother of a dead child thanks to the Avengers) and Steve Rogers is against.

From there on, the film is mainly focused on Tony trying to get Steve to agree to the terms posed by the government, with no success until it all comes to a head once both Tony and Steve create their respective teams.

Marvel took a serious storyline in Civil War and just didn't know how to handle it in my opinion. It felt like the Russo's were caught between making a darker movie about a serious issue and making a light hearted comic book movie. In the end, we got a standard Marvel movie. Nothing different or ground breaking about it whatsoever... and its taken 13 movies to get to this point. It feels like the Marvel films are standing still and cannot progress to the next level, maybe in fear of the backlash from fans if they changed the formula.

What the movie does well is it showcases the arguments of both Toney and Steve well and you cant really pick a side of your own. However, we don't really get anywhere and by the time the famous airport scene comes about, you forget who's fighting for which team. Some heroes don't even know why they're there! It all felt very forced.

The action was great and so where the debuts of Spider-Man and Black Panther , however the whole movie could have been done without Spider-Man. He added no value to the story. The film had its standard levels of humour and whilst some of the comedy was done well, it went into overdrive once we had the inclusion of Ant-Man and Spider-Man.

The only part of the movie that was heart felt was the final scene between Cap, Iron Man and Bucky as you felt the heartbreak that Tony had at that moment - great acting from Robert Downey Jr. However, even that scene came about via coincidence, which was really the trend of this film.... everything that happened was coincidental, from Tony showing his younger self with his parents at the MIT presentation, to the video of Bucky killing Tony's parents.

Civil War was the wrong title for this movie. It should've been called, 'A Minor Disagreement'. All in all, the movie felt pointless as nothing was achieved by the end. Everyone remained friends and the only casualty of the movie was the least cared about character in War Machine. The movie just felt like a stepping stone to Infinity War and the solo Spider-Man and Black Panther movies.

No doubt that this will be praised by everyone and will make a ton of money, but as someone who appreciates movies, this one fell well short of the mark.

Behold, the Übermensch

Author: curlyhead-05779
12 May 2016

Superheroes may misunderstand and they make mistakes but, ultimately, they are morally incorruptible. If they find themselves on the wrong side of a fight it's because they've misunderstood the nature of the problem. However, when reality finally hits home we can rely on them to admit their error and go off to fight together in the name of Truth, Justice and the American Way. People who die are unavoidable collateral damage, superheroes are beyond reproach and we need them too much to limit their powers. The world is just too scary and too dangerous to shackle the mighty with red tape and bureaucracy. Superheroes are better than us mere mortals, not just more powerful but also more moral. They don't need to follow the same rules we do.

After Winter Soldier I was under the (apparently mistaken) belief that Marvel's Capt. America franchise was criticising neoliberal America. There was all that stuff about the ends not justifying the means and about how politicians use terror to convince the population they need to be oppressed for their own good. How wrong could I be! Now I see that it's actually the opposite. It pretends to be anti-establishment but really it's just about justifying a sense of self-entitlement. Like Donald Trump, Capt. America criticises the State for oppressing people whilst simultaneously adhering to exactly the sort of high-handed moral superiority that inevitably leads to that oppression. He (I mean Capt. America) obviously skipped school on the day they taught the importance of checks-and-balances and why one of the central principles of US Democracy is that of the separation of powers.

The message of this film is simple. If you believe you are right, then you can do whatever you want as long as it's in the name of *insert moral cause*. Anyone who tries to limit your personal crusade is either stupid, naïve or oppressing you. Freedom from oppression means the freedom to act like you're better than other people, because, well, you ARE better than other people (go on, admit it, you're amongst friends here).

Page 1 of 115:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]