IMDb > "The Last Ship" Welcome to Gitmo (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Last Ship" Welcome to Gitmo (2014)

« Prev | 2 of 56 Episodes | Next »

I like it.

Author: johnanthonymazzei from Cleveland
30 June 2014

Yes there are technical errors... However, it is good mindless fun, you know television. An old fashioned spaghetti western at sea. Senior officers going ashore AKA Star Trek. Bad, easily dying Russians old fashioned cold war fun. Remember the self destruct timer always stops at 1.

Give it a chance, they are still fleshing out the plot and doing character development.

It beats reality shows.

Unless of course you like watching " How I survived dancing with the iron chef without the help of Jerry Springer, Judge Judy and their posse of lesbian, baby mommas and incestuous midgets.

The Captain goes on a landing party, just like Star Trek

Author: hqfedlegion-1 from United States
1 July 2014

I like it! The captain goes on a landing party, like Star Trek. I don't care if this would never happen in the U.S. Navy. Like the captain said, this is a new world. So they are going to do things differently.

I am glad they went to Gitmo. It makes sense; if the detainees are in a high secure block, they would survive. Like Walter Matthau said in Fail- Safe, on who would survive a nuclear war: file clerks and prisoners. And call me right-wing patriotic, but I think that is exactly what would happen if you released those prisoners. I loved how the captain and XO 'communicated.' A good command crew can almost read each other's minds.

Liked the Chief Engineer and some of the other crew. Starting to jell. And of course, I just knew that the contact was not British. Different from the book; it is a surface vessel instead of a submarine. Should be interesting to see what happens.

I echo some of the other comments and give it a chance. Better than a lot of the crap on TV these days.

Prisoners on the loose

Author: tenshi_ippikiookami
21 November 2016

"The Last Ship" shoots itself on the foot for the second episode. It is lame, it is stupid, and it's a waste of time.

At the end of the first episode we had the ship en route to Guantanamo Bay. Well, in this episode we get there, and, surprise, surprise, some prisoners are still alive, and not very happy about some US soldiers appearing there. Will our crew survive? Will our shady scientist be caught? Will Baldwin's friend Chuck appear?

The episode trips over itself all over the 40 minutes it lasts. The plot development is lazy, the action not very good and silly in a bad way, the acting average... On top of that, the show seems to have taken an overly patriotic focus, all the baddies being non-US people, and all so pro-military it makes not much sense. The dialogue is worse than bad; it seems to have come out of the worst Chuck Norris movie ever.

All in all, it is still too early, but "The Last Ship" seems to be intent on making itself not very interesting.

The Last Ship: Welcome To GTMO…Let's Make Another Pointless Point

Author: PartialMovieViewer from United States
29 June 2014

I just finished the GTMO episode. I was shocked to see that the self-absorbed, screechy scientist was still alive. Why? I don't know why. I can't stand her pushy arrogance and I still think she is the perfect shark food. Jaws where are you when we need you? Anyways…this woman's character needs to go - or become more in line with the rest of the cast. Also…tell me where all these officers are all coming from? The enlisteds are the knob turners and the switch setters…not the officers. The officers manage people. Speaking about officer stuff…why in the freaking world would you ever send ashore your Captain, and your CHENG? This makes no sense. Well that is enough of me picking on the mighty ship 'USS Nathan Whatever.' So here is what is new? The actors are getting comfortable in their roles…great. The plot, vague as it was in the beginning, has become completely undetectable - thanks to this episode, I am lost. Irritating as the cast was in the pilot, they have managed to top the irritability scale and the script is – ah – on par. I am trying to figure out the reason for this show. I thought it might end up being some kind of entertaining mindless fun, an adventure. I admit I might have been wrong. After deliberating a bit my conclusion is that this show is almost not supposed to be about anything. Apparently, the sole purpose of this program is to be some kind PC showcase...a teachable moment if you will.I might be wrong, but these PC massages are not subtle…they are very in-your face. Does this mean I will leave…oh no…I will be back. I am hoping to see some improvements. The pyrotechnics are still great though.