"Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Magical Place (#1.11)"

"Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." The Magical Place (2014)

« Prev | 11 of 110 Episodes | Next »

No agent is that important. Coulson is.

Author: jhudson1725
30 July 2017

Following the good twist ending in the last episode, the team goes on the hunt for Coulson. Thankfully in this episode, I actually like Skye's part.

Let's first start with what Coulson went through. The memory machine that he goes through allows a great insight into what happened to him. Apparently, he went through a procedure that messed with his brain. According to Dr Streiten, he left his will to live and they tried to give it back but I think it was more than that, like trying to erase the memory of what they did to him. I did like the little Iron Man reference that happened too, if you caught it. Po is killed with a sonic weapon via a phone. The effect caused his veins in his head to go dark blue and for Po to go rigid and then die. This sounds like a more lethal version of the paralysis machine Stane used in Iron Man.

For Skye's part in this episode, she actually proved to be useful and had a fun storyline. Once she is kicked off the plane, she (almost) had the freedom to do whatever she wanted to find Coulson. Her interrogation of Heubel's character was fun, as she acted as Agent May and actually disarmed a security guard. She looks like she could be a good agent, as long as she stays focused on the task not on her parents.

I liked the rest of the team's moments too. Ward interrogating Van Chat was awesome as he showed that he is willing and able to do anything for his team. May was the one who confirmed that Skye shouldn't be on the plane, which is first seen of her dislike of Skye, but actually shows that May values Skye and knows how she works best.

One complaint I have on this episode is Victoria Hand. I sort of liked her in the previous episode she was in but in this one she is constantly stonewalling Coulson's team. When Skye finds good proof of where Coulson is, she goes with a different plan. I have a feeling she's a double agent or a traitor or just doesn't want Coulson back.

+ Insight into Coulson's recovery + Skye's plot in this episode + The rest of the team searching for Coulson - What is Victoria Hand doing?

Final Score: 8.8/10