IMDb > The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Creepy as Hell

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
21 December 2016

And a simply wonderful throwback to the 1970s when horror was, well, horror -- and not based on gimmicks like "found footage" but rather genuine scene-setting, story building, audience engagement, and full-tilt creepiness.

Probably destined to become a classic.

Brian Cox is this generation's Donald Pleasence, that is to say, a character actor who could not give a bad performance if he tried yet is destined to never actually stand out in any single production because that is his style.

Director André Øvredal is one of those rare finds -- an auteur with (so far) a small body of work who is producing better and better films. This suggests that over time he will probably give us bigger and better treats to come.

And while Ophelia Lovibond does not get a lot of screen time, the exposure she does have will only add to her fan base. An American accent so natural you would think she was trained by Hugh Laurie and a performance so sweet you might not even recognize her (unless you looked twice) as the very same actress that underpinned an entire season of Elementary.

Recommended? This is a must-see!

If you like horror, see this

Author: umme4uke from Australia
20 December 2016

I'm a big horror fan and this is the best little horror yarn I've seen in ages.

Well acted, with some recognisable faces. Brian Cox is great as the small town coroner that leads the autopsy on the titular body, in one scene he even managed to give me a sad lump in the throat which was an unexpected feeling during an unnerving horror flick. Emile Hirsch plays his son and assistant and though he's good doesn't have as much impact as Cox. Roose Bolton (Michael McElhatton) makes an appearance as the town sheriff.

Where this film really succeeds is in doing something a lot of modern horror has forgotten about - it toys with the viewers imagination, creating an uneasy feeling out of the narrative, half light, sound and shadow. This is not to say you don't get to see anything grotesque or unsettling, as certain scenes are not for the squeamish.

I don't want to spoil the story but will say this, the resolution is not quite as good as the build up. It's very hard for a horror film, especially one that plays on fear and the imagination, to deliver a conclusion that is suitably unsettling - this one half succeeds. But the ride is more than worth it and the ending is far from a failure.

If you like horror, watch this.

Family Business

Author: cattis26 from Finland
10 November 2016

Saw this at the Night Visions festival in Helsinki, November 2016. What I expected was a lighthearted, "father and son as morticians" kind of movie. What I got was a movie that chilled even my horror movie veteran soul to the bone.

To explain too much about this movie would spoil it, so I will not go into details. But the director succeeds wonderfully in first creating a comfortable atmosphere, introducing a small cast of characters and setting the scene, and then masterfully starts upping the discomfort levels of the situation, until you are sitting at the edge of your seat, biting your nails. Like in Øvredal's former movie, Troll Hunter, what you cannot see can be a million times more disconcerting than what is in plain sight. Although here he uses both..

Great characters, great atmosphere, an overall great experience. Even if at times I wished for it to end already, just because I couldn't quite bear all the anxiety. I hope this comes to Finland proper, so others can see it too! Quite possibly the best horror film I have seen this year.

Unexpected Gem

Author: mark-179-360743 from Czech Republic
20 December 2016

I've not seen an original horror this well done for a long time. The cast is strong, dialogue and acting good, the story is interesting, well paced and well directed.

If you didn't know better, you may think after the first third of the film that you were watching a forensic crime, and would be quite happy to continue watching in that vein. Instead, an unsettling, atmospheric, claustrophobic tale of magic, sacrifice and revenge unfolds, which I was more than happy with. The direction is outstanding, your imagination does a lot of the work and the budget is saved for some very well done major scenes (and of course, quality actors - unfortunately rare in horror these days).

Whereas it would have been wonderful to tie up the loose ends, see a bit about the Witch Trials history, give Hirsch and Cox a bit more to go on earlier in the film etc. With that said, it may have removed something from the very polished whole, and in all likelihood will yield a - well deserved - sequel. Jane Doe sure as Hell hasn't finished yet!

It's got that "Sinister" vibe about it, and is certainly one of the best horror releases of the year. I challenge anyone to watch this and not feel impressed, satisfied and maybe just a little bit scared.

Surpassed My Expectations !

Author: ahmed mohamed from Egypt
20 December 2016

After watching the trailer of this film i was just expecting another lazy cheesy horror film, and i knew it was a movie i'd skip. But after seeing some good reviews here and there about it, i thought i'd give it a try and watch it with an open mind.

Turns out to be one of the best horror films to come out this year (Along with Lights Out, Under The Shadow and Don't Breathe)

Just consider that this movie is not for the faint heart at all as it contains very graphic scenes that aren't suitable for everyone, but the title says it anyway it's an Autopsy.

What I liked the most about this film is that it has everything horror fans would like to see in a movie, it has very disturbing scenes, top- notch suspense , good scares , an atmosphere that will suck you in and a creepy enough story that'll probably keep you up at night thinking about dead bodies

The film starts slow with the horror but it never keeps you bored, it's always interesting and you always wanna know how things will go, and as you watch you'll notice it's getting weirder and weirder and then you'll feel so uncomfortable watching it until you reach the top speed of the horror and then it will come to an end.

The ending could've been better (thought its a bit cheesy) but it hasn't ruined the experience for me, it's still a good watch for fans of the genre.

Conclusion: If you're a true horror fan you can't miss this one, pretty sure it has many in it that will give you some good scares.

just when you thought the genre had completely sold out...

Author: pckq from United States
20 December 2016

Since wishi washi pseudo horror films ala insidious and co dominate the genre at the moment i never expect much when watching a new entry.And much to my surprise Jane Doe is a REAL horror film in finest John Carpenter b-movie tradition.

Jane Doe starts out strong, builds atmosphere with genuinely creepy scenes and manages to keep its mystery and secrets just long enough to satisfy. Much of this is due to the moody music which probably made half the film!

Sure there is the occasional i-already-know-whats-coming-next/ clichéd shock scene, but such sins are easily forgiven within seconds since the intense atmosphere of this film pulls the viewer back in mercilessly.

If you appreciate classic oldschool flicks like John Carpenters 'The Fog', Jane Doe will not disappoint. Go see it!

One of the Scariest Horror Movies I Ever Saw

Author: (23stitches@gmail.com)
21 December 2016

This particular flick restored my lost faith in horror movies. Creepy elements galore from start to finish. The idea of an animated corpse with a bell attached to its foot particularly was so hair-raising.

There are no cheap scares in The Autopsy of Jane Doe. No cheap effects either. What's so nice about it is it scares the viewer from various angles -- from the claustrophobic basement setting to the fact that not much info on Jane Doe is revealed, which further fuels the mystery that pervaded the movie from start to finish.

Both Emile Hirsch and Brian Cox gave stellar performances! Needless to say, The Autopsy of Jane Doe is one of the scariest, scariest horror movies I saw, and it's worth watching!

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

Author: geraldohanna from Miami, Florida
20 December 2016

After the police discover a corpse in a shallow grave, they take it to father-and-son coroners Austin and Tommy Tilden. During their invasive examination, the duo comes into realization that they are dealing with something supernatural.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - Was a visual treat to enjoy. I think if you are a fan of well paced films you will enjoy this one. Although it's being treated as a horror film - Which is not a problem unless you generalize this as the overall genre for this movie - Its more of a Suspense Thriller/Drama/Horror. This is not something I feel needs to be clarified, but understood as the film envelops all three entities.

Emile Hirsch and Brian Cox are excellent as father-and-son coroners Austin and Tommy Tilden. One particular moment in the film allows the actors to reflect and truly shine in their respected roles.

André Øvredal (Trollhunter) directs this close quartered film with limited room for our actors to breathe once the tension unfolds - He makes great use of this tension by placing the camera in dark areas allowing us to truly feel the weight of the actors.

Screenwriters Ian Goldberg and Richard Naing craft a smart and well paced story with a few false scares, and flat third act leaving us yearning for more.

Overall, this is a movie that deserves and requires your time :)

Quite good!

Author: Bob An from Serbia
24 December 2016

First of all, I will say that this is not really a horror film to me ( in its entirety) but rather the first half and bit more is kind of a thriller / suspense movie and the last 20 minutes is a mild horror.

But even if it is a real horror ( as many would say - though maybe my definition of horror is rather narrow as I can not be scared easily) it does bring something new.

This is why I am rating this as an eight!

That new element to the horror is what makes it good: a beauty, a dead beauty that looks like a doll outside but hell inside... The inscriptions inside her body and skin is a very awesome detail. Maybe that is one thing that will stick with me when I think of the film ...

The story is simple but appealing. The three actors + the girlfriend and the sheriff are all good. But really, all hail Jane Doe ( if it was a real person whole time).

I recommend it!

Jane Doe is very much alive & creepy!

Author: sanjidparvez from Bangladesh
21 December 2016

If you were pleasantly surprised with André Øvredal's TROLLHUNTER (2010), then you will regard him now as your new 'Master of Horror' - in this latest & his first English-language film The Autopsy of Jane Doe! Because, in Jane Doe, this Norwegian director applied almost each & every great craftsmanship of horror film-making so skillfully that you are not only going to see just another good or passable horror flick set around an awesomely interesting premise, you'll going to experience it! Through the effective use of half light, sound, smoke & shadow this time he created an utterly eerie & unsettling atmosphere by revealing not too much but keep toying with the viewer's imagination from start to finish. And the perfect cast & characterization also helps to fuel the unease feeling of an unknown terror – an untouched & unidentified corpse of a beautiful young female; the local cops discovered the body from a shallow grave under the basement of a house-where everyone was massacred! The best horror film of 2016 so far! A must see.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]