Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened More at IMDbPro »Gekijouban Pokketto monsutâ Besuto uisshu: Shinsoku no Genosekuto Myûtsû kakusei (original title)

Great themes and settings.. Certainly will not lost in time!

Author: Rosalyn Lim 林惠美 (hayashimegumi) from http://rosalynmuses.blogspot.com
9 February 2015

Genesect and the Legend Awakened (2013) is profound. Other than having a compelling backstory, it has great themes and settings too. With many Pokémon in action, we could also have a glimpse of their daily lives. There are just so many symbolic stuffs; if you analyse it.

In this animated feature, the Genesect Army is lead and controlled by its shiny member called the Red Genesect and their nest is actually creepily interesting. As you may have already known (if you have played the games before), restoring Pokémon fossils have been a part of the main series games since the first one but these Genesects, are the first real living fossil Pokémon featured in a Pokémon film so it is quite special! (The ones in Pokémon Heroes are undead!)

However, it is sad to watch them being resurrected just to be lost in time. They are suffering confusion, have trust issues and there is even one feeling severely homesick. Lonely and afraid, these creatures are actually simple and sweet. Although they do resemble an insect that I am not quite fond of, I like one of the Genesects; the gentle one stands out a lot. Might be just me but I felt that particular Genesect is nicely animated; it probably exhibits the best body language by any Pokémon in films to date and I just couldn't help to feel sorry for it! :(

Then, there is one inevitable issue for older fans or those who are die-hard fans of Mewtwo Strikes Back (1998) and Mewtwo Returns (2000). The Mewtwo here is seemingly a different one as it obviously has different, much feminine voice and certainly do not know Ash Ketchum personally. Though that could be an issue, it is still refreshing and it is not the major flaw of this animated feature. Instead, Mewtwo fans should rejoice as the Pokémon is back on screen after so many years with its new mega evolution form!

In my opinion, the major flaw of Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened (2013) is that there are several abrupt moments. I find it unsatisfactory but I am happy with what I see overall and what they do with the Genesects in the end. My verdict? Give this anime family film based on video game a chance and you may find yourself entertained especially if you like its genre. After all, it is one of the better Pokémon Films ever made and it certainly will not lost in time!