IMDb > "Sonic Boom" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Sonic Boom"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Sonic Boom" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

No thanks...

Author: Jeffery Theodule Jr. from America
12 November 2014

Beyond the ridiculous character design, weak stories, and sub par animation, this show has very little to offer. The plots are more like something you would see in a Spongebob episode rather than a Sonic TV Series. I feel like the writers just jumped on to the bandwagon with other Cartoon Network Cartoons, and focused on plot's you'd see on a show like Regular Show or The Amazing World of Gumball.(do they think kids are too dumb to comprehend a single story?) The only difference, is that it has Sonic characters. I tried to not compare this show to any other Sonic show and look at it with an open mind, and I guess there's a lot of kids who enjoy this show, and there's nothing really wrong with that, i guess it just depends on your kid's preference. Another complaint I have is with Amy. She has little to no personality outside of just being a female. they probably didn't want feminists attacking the show, or whatever the case is she used to be one of the funniest characters in the whole franchise, now her and Sonic have that a 'normal friend' kind of relationship. I guess if you didn't like 'fangirl' Amy, then you'll probably like this one better, but it's just insane how much they changed her personality.

Final verdict: it's not terrible. It's really not. It's just your generic Cartoon Network Comedy show, except with cardboard cutout Sonic characters. It's been done a thousand times. I really don't think i'd be at the edge of my seat at midnight waiting to watch this show.

I Prefer AOSTH and Sonic SatAM Over This

Author: yeyeandzook from Sacramento
26 May 2016

Years ago, almost every animated show is in traditional animation. But as we go into the 21st century, a lot of cartoons have been shown in CGI as that animation became favorable. But just because a show is in a new form, that does not always mean it's better than the ones in an earlier style.

Upon becoming a hit in video games, Sonic's first animated shows were Sonic the Hedgehog (aka Sonic SatAM), and another one called Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. While these are hand-drawn, they are certainly the best animated adaptations of the Sonic games. What's good about these two are good stories, good graphics, and good acting (because the right cast is selected for the characters).

As CGI became prominent, animators went on create this series called Sonic Boom which uses this animation. I was at first kinda excited when I learned that Sonic has a new show. But after reading about it on some websites, my excitement dried up. Why? Yes, the show features Sonic, and the show is in that cool-looking CGI. But why is the speaking role of Tails done by a bimbo? When will makers of new Sonic games and shows understand that Tails is a boy? They should learn to apply the right person for the right character.

A Total Joke

Author: brojawnny from United States
23 November 2014

The only thing worse than this show is all the shitty sonic fan boy's praising it. Instead of caring about any story or characters, they're just impressed by anything that has sonic's name slapped on it. So, what do i dislike about this show? everything. The animation is sub-par, the lip syncing is non-existent (for the most part). And the worst thing about it are the stories. Since it's sonic, you may think that the story and plots will have something to do with Eggman taking over the world, chaos emeralds, etc., but what does this show focus on? Redecorating houses, getting new pets, getting awards, and mundane things you'd see on Regular Show or Gumball, much better shows. I wouldn't mind these mundane plots if the show actually had some good humor, likable characters, and some good action, which, unfortunately, this show doesn't have. The characters, are of course, bland and stereotypical, Knuckles is the the "muscle", Tails is the kid, who does nothing, Amy is the girl, who does nothing, and Sonic, is fortunately the best of the 4. I just wish there was more witty character interactions, or better yet, better character's in general. Sonic treats them all the same, so the character interactions are bland and of course, unfunny.

Seeing this show really makes me appreciate Sonic X, even though i didn't like it that much, at least it was more true to the original source material. It worked off the characters, instead of watering them down. I was going to do this review sooner, but i wanted to look at a few more episodes first. So, bottom line, i really don't recommend this show. It's not funny, its not smart, it's not appealing to look at, and it's just an all around mess.

Give The Little Brown Guy Back To The Lads!

Author: lansimmons112 from Los Angeles, CA
28 February 2016

When I learned that it was possible to play Tails alone in the second Sonic the Hedgehog game for the Sega Genesis, it was there that I develop a strong liking for the character. Although I still adore Tails as one of my favorite Sonic characters, I can't say that I appreciate how he is presented in later games and media.

From the 1990s to early 2000s, things were done with respect to tradition. It was during that period when Tails' speaking role was done by young boys. That's the way it should be because Tails is in fact a boy.

But as we go some time past the year 2000, that good tradition was gone. It died when trollops took over being the voice of the fox in those later games and TV series (including this one). It has been that way ever since. Whose idea was it to use trollops? That's not how it suppose to be.

I certainly wish they bring back the good old tradition, and use boys to be Tails' voice again. It's more complimentary to the character that way.

Would Have Been Interesting If The Fox Was Played By A Boy

Author: terrigunmor from Canada
2 November 2015

When the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog debuted back in the early 1990s, the show was done properly. And when I say properly, the characters are played by the right people. In there, Tails was played by a child actor which was the appropriate thing. Too bad that appropriateness did not go all the way.

Over the next several years, new series such Sonic X and Sonic Boom have come out. I have a feeling that whoever did the casting in those shows probably doesn't know that Tails is a boy. If they knew, they could have selected young boys to play that two-tailed fox. Instead they selected drag kings which is obscene.

I certainly missed those good old times when Tails was played the right way. If they continue to have him played by drags, then Tails should have been a vixen when he was created.

Why Has Tails Been Taken Over By Strumpets?

Author: elusivedom from Chicago, IL
25 December 2015

I first seen Sonic characters in a TV series called Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Weeks later I learned that the characters are part of a video game franchise after I got a simple hand-held game as a gift. I since then develop interest in seeing more of the games.

Tails is one of the characters I adore from the franchise. In fact, I see him as one of the cutest characters. Despite being cute, however, perfection on how he is played seemed to lost its shine. Here's why.

In those early 1990s TV series and those Sonic video games prior to 2004, Tails was voiced young boys. This is the traditional and appropriate way. But in post-2004 games as well as in this series, the two-tailed fox has since been taken over by old strumpets. I wonder why. The use of old strumpets is nothing but a way to belittle the acting talent of guys, and to steal guys' jobs. How sick.

Pure Crap

Author: Oscar Staal from Sweden
8 August 2015

Scrolling through the other reviews makes me wonder if the producers themselves in here upvoting and writing because this show is utter crap.

The first episode was decent, it set up the setting and introduced the characters, and I thought the show would then pursue a real storyline... silly me.....

It is basically Spongebob with Sonic characters, but worse... The scripts for the episode are horrible, the jokes are bad, all the characters lacks personality with the exception of their given "gimmick". Tails is the geeky kid, Amy is a girl (yeah, that's about it), Knuckles is strong and stupid, constantly dropping lines such as "I don't understand sentences that are more than 3 words long". On top of that the animation is flawed, the lipsync is out of sync, and it is so easy to tell that there is no passion in creating this show whatsoever.

It is an insult to kids to think that they won't appreciate quality. I remember watching SATam when I was a kid, which had a dark storyline, Robotnik (Eggman) was a real villain trying to actually kill or enslave the Freedom Fighters, and the story was constantly set in this underdog dystopia, a constant struggle against larger forces despite the oddsI recmmend any Sonic fans who haven't watched it doing so, all the episodes are on Youtube.

Boom has none of that. No story, no personalities, and seem to rely on having interns making the animations.

This is a candidate for one of the worst cartoons ever made

Author: Drew Baker from USA
9 November 2014

When they first released the preview for Sonic Boom several months before, I was encouraged. I love the Sonic series, and this looked like it was going to be a well animated, smartly written series.

One episode in and all of that was utterly destroyed. First off, the intro was bad. I had no idea what just happened it was so bad. The characters are horrible. Sonic is stock, Eggman was better in Sonic X, and that's saying something, Tails is an idiot, Amy is annoying (and you see her for like 15 seconds), Knuckles is just bad.

Okay, a lot of cartoons do that. But then it's not funny. The timing is bad, the jokes are bad, the dialogue is painful. All of this combined with a really, really lame story line that probably took exactly 30 seconds to come up with make for a truly horrible episode.

And then on top of that, the animation is bad! The samples they gave, which make up the first 3 minutes of the episode, look great. But after that it's like they stopped trying. The mouths, the eyes, the body movement, the expressions. ALL OF IT IS BAD! I've seen Youtubers put more effort and quality into their work. I'm not expecting perfection but I do expect effort!

Don't watch this. Whether you like Sonic or not, this will surely ruin it for you. It's a worse remake than Teen Titans Go. In fact it makes the latter look intelligent.

Sonic Boom = Sega failure.

Author: macandbloo
20 June 2016

A lot of people like new cartoons even i do, but some new cartoons are super cheesy and deserve to ranked at a solid minus negative one,especially some of the new cartoons on cartoon network, shows like adventure time amazing world of gumball Steven universe and regular show are the awesome new shows,and the ones that suck are mostly reboots like Powerpuffgirls and teen titans go, but none of these suck more then Sonic boom, this show is okay but it is not really all that cool it is basically a non rebooted show but a spin off of the lowest ranked game Sonic boom. This stand alone series was not made by the Sonic team it looks more like something Sega just fished out of their toilet. They made Sonic the character but some they changed Tails Amy and Knuckles (Amy i do not mind) but they made Tails look like a total clumsy retard while they just made Knuckles a even bigger retard, who ever came up with this series must of had been overdosing on crack, everybody should be rating this show lower then Sonic x because at least that show got stuff right while Sonic boom looks like stuff that came out of a mental hospital.

Is This What You Call Sonic Related?

Author: swiperfanforlife from United States
2 February 2016

Ever listen to the song "Out of Touch by Hall & Oats? Well it sums up Sonic Boom. You know what? Sonic Boom is 15% true to the characters. Okay great Sonic's still fast and enjoys chili dogs, Tails still pilots planes and invents and can fly with his two tails, Amy uses her hammer and still has a crush on Sonic, but more secretly. The other 85% is lost because of the non-sense episode plots it portrays and between Eggman and Knuckles and characters we don't care about or even should be in a sonic series. First off Knuckles just because he's gullible doesn't make you a complete idiot and Knuckles being strong in all don't buff out his appearance making it look like he's been taking steroids. Secondly Eggman, okay he wants to destroy Sonic (Just like in the games) But his evil character is destroyed based on the fact that him and Eggman have more of a friendship instead of an arch-nemesis relationship. It really destroys his character when he bakes "evil cookies" and is interested in "fuzzy puppy buddies" Third off all characters we don't care about or ever see again. Justin Beaver, Perci, Zooey, Dave The Intern etc. No point of having pointless (Non Sonic Characters) in that series, Now here's the cherry on top of the sh** sundae. THE EPISODE PLOTS! This is the biggest embarrassment to the whole Sonic Boom Series. What do we get for episode plots Searching for Chaos Emeralds? NOPE! Stopping Eggman from world domination? NEGATIVE! Instead we get episode plots based on Boy Bands, Fuzzy Puppy Buddies, Evil Cookies, Decorating Houses, Knuckles being mayor, Getting new pets. You know stuff like this could have been a good concept for a new cartoon instead of putting all this into Sonic since this never happens in any other Sonic Continuity. A western theme doesn't fit Sonic. The only reason why people watch this is because it has Sonic name slapped on this cartoon and I dare you to prove me wrong when I say would you watch this cartoon if this was Alvin and the Chipmunks instead of Sonic & Friends but kept the episode plots the same. You probably wouldn't be watching this proving my point when I say Sonic Fans are just impressed with anything Sonic's name slapped on it. Sonic Boom fans say the show is funny. Yeah it is funny, it's so funny that 85% percent of this cartoon doesn't resemble the Blue Blur at all. Cancel the series, NOW!!!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]