IMDb > Incarnate (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Incarnate More at IMDbPro »

A review from a 42 year old sci-fi fanatic

Author: mistermassive from Chesire, CO
13 December 2016

I seem to be forced to write a review every now and then to counter the teens and 20 somethings that think they need to review every freaking thing in front of their heads. As an adult I can say comparatively speaking in regards to Exorcism, Possession, Evil doings and all things of the nether world this flick is worth the ticket. Aaron plays his role out fantastically (enough that I teared up at times) and until the end of the movie you will see the moments that hearken back to the decades previous releases but this one certainly offers a unique twist on the understanding of good vs. evil.

I found myself nodding early on as a former Catholic and someone who just read way too much to keep believing in Santa Clause or religious super heroes I will say that I have plenty of room in my mind for universe yet untold that retains the secrets of untold, infinite galaxies (Hubble has scratched the surface and soon a new version of Hubble will be hurtling around the Earth).

The cast is just fine and spot on with the sincerity in which they convey their emotional portrayals. I know full well there have been other releases over the last 7 years that fulfill most of the requirements of this genre but Incarnate has heart and an emotional connection I thought was somewhat left out or diminished in the other movies of this similar nature.

As we hear Aaron's arch nemesis character say in the movie "There are some things far worse than death"

Much better than it had any business of being. Wholly recommended.

Author: manuelasaez from New York
15 December 2016

As a die-hard horror fan, a fan of Demonic Possession films, and a fan of great acting, I immediately wrote off this movie as being another Hollywood cash grab. Blumhouse is the worst thing to happen to horror since Rob Zombie started making movies, so seeing as this is another bullet to add to their arsenal in murdering the horror genre, I was weary about watching it. Couple that with the film not having any marketing up until a few weeks before it was released, and all of the signs pointed to a very half-a$$ed film to join the ranks of all of the other failed horror films of the last 10 years. After watching it, however, I am very glad to have been proved wrong. Incarnate ended up being original, entertaining, and the acting was really top notch, especially that of the three leads.

The problem I have with Possession films is that they rarely deviate from the formula; girl is possessed. Family calls priest. Priest needs okay from Vatican. Priest battles demon. One of more people die. The end. That has been the premise of every possession film of the last few years. Surprisingly, this movie goes completely left field, not adhering to any of the clichés that make the genre so deathly stagnant. The demon is now a "spirit parasite", the girl is replaced by a boy, there is no Catholic priest in sight, and the people who die actually deserve it this time. The movie does so many things right that it is really easy to overlook the things is gets wrong, and everything from the special effects to the script is written with an actual appreciation of what makes these movies entertaining in the first place. Sure, some parts are cheesy and straight out of the horror handbook, but when they are handled this well, does anyone really care? It's much better than the abominations we have gotten in the past, like The Last Exorcism or The Vatican Tapes.

Overall, if you like Possession films, good acting, and movies that are not made for children and teenagers, give this film a shot. You just might like what you see. I was thoroughly impressed by this, and although Blumhouse has a long way to redeeming itself, this is a great first step. A solid effort all around.

Entertaining but Flawed Storyline

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
22 December 2016

In New York, the boy Cameron (David Mazouz) lives with his Dutch mother Lindsey (Carice van Houten) that is divorced from his alcoholic father Dan (Matt Nable). One night, Cameron overhears a noise in the kitchen and is attacked by a homeless; however he kills the man, breaking his neck. The Vatican representative Camilla (Catalina Sandino Moreno) summons the scientist Dr. Ember (Aaron Eckhart) to help the boy that is possessed and the exorcism is not effective. Dr. Ember has the ability to enter in the mind of people possessed by demons and bring them back to reality in a dangerous procedure with the support of his team composed by Oliver (Keir O'Donnell) and Riley (Emily Jackson). When Dr. Ember visits Cameron, he realizes that the boy is possessed by the insidious demon Maggie, who killed his wife and son in a car accident. Will Dr. Ember succeed in destroying Maggie and saving Cameron?

"Incarnate" is an entertaining film with a flawed storyline with a combination of "The Matrix" and "The Exorcist". The return of the possessed person from the dream to the real world does not use a red pill but a treasured object that brings recollection to the owner. There are at least two casualties (the homeless and Dan) in Lindsey 's apartment with no investigation from the police. Why the demon at the priest's house need to cut his neck? The screenplay should have been more careful in details. The conclusion is open to interpretation maybe with the author using a hook for a sequel. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): Not Available

I liked It!

Author: LadyLestat23 from United States
11 December 2016

I'm not going to try to dazzle everybody with my huge vocabulary or my expansive expertise on films, but I do know what I like, and I liked this movie. It takes an unorthodox approach to exorcism, not by treating it with priests, crucifixes, and holy water, but by treating the demon as a parasite that attaches itself to its host. Once the demon (parasite) attaches itself to the host, it invades their mind and creates an elaborate illusion (or dream state) based on what the host desires most. In turn, that keeps the host compliant while the demon consumes the soul.

Dr. Seth Ember (Aaron Eckhart) is a scientist with the gift of going into the possessed person's mind and performing what he calls "evictions" instead of exorcisms. In this movie, it is not a matter of faith or lack thereof. There is no God or specific religion tied to this, it involves pure science. He invades their minds bringing the truth with him in an effort dismantle the illusion. If he successfully tears down the walls and exposes the lie before his own body gives out within 8 minutes, he releases the power the demon has over the host. In essence, he goes in and kicks the demon out, or "evicts" them if you will. The demon must evacuate immediately by either entering another host through physical contact (touch), or the demon dies.

In his last case, a familiar she-demon has inhabited the body of an 11- year-old boy and Seth and his research team are called in by the Vatican to help the child because exorcisms have already failed and he doesn't have much time left. Of course, Seth already knows this demon very well. I'll just leave it at that...

I would be lying if I said that this concept has not already been explored. I know plenty people would like to give credit to Inception, but the truth is, this idea was explored way before Inception. For me, thrillers like The Cell (2000) with Jennifer Lopez and Vincent D'onofrio, as well as Fallen (1998) with Denzel Washington, and The First Power (1990) with Lou Diamond Phillips all came to mind. There are also certain themes and elements of this movie that is reminiscent of Insidious (2010) and The Exorcist (1973). While these movies are not entirely the same, the overall premise is still very similar. However, I think what sets this apart from those films is the "eviction" concept. This is a new angle for exorcising demons that hasn't been explored, and for that, I thank Brad Peyton. I'm always looking for some kind of originality which is extremely hard to find in movies these days, so I like to give credit where it's due.

Don't get me wrong, the film is not perfect by any means, but I do appreciate what the Director was trying to do. I would recommend giving this a chance. The year is coming to a close, so it's definitely not the worst movie this year has had to offer that's for sure. Trust me, there have been worse, and I've probably seen most of them.

Either way, I've prepared myself to be down voted by the "experts."

Serviceable, and not as bad as the critics are saying.

Author: falynsoul from United States
3 December 2016

I'm a fan of Aaron Eckhart so that was my main draw to see Incarnate.

The good: The film doesn't insult you by explaining everything at once, it does this through the action and dialogue sequences which are OKAY. Aaron delivers a solid performance here, and so does David Mazouz, the kid that plays Bruce Wayne in the Gotham TV series. The story is moderately interesting and reminds me a bit of Inception.

The Meh/Bad: The directing is often a bit ham-fisted and clunky. The script wasn't particularly brilliant but was OKAY. Didn't care much for the cop-out ending although that's a minor complaint.

Bottom line is, don't expect a masterpiece or above average film. Its a nice film to kill an hour and a half with.

Not bad at all.

Author: subxerogravity from United States
3 December 2016

The movie takes some getting use to as it's a little off on genres.

Not a typical ghost story, Aaron Eckhart plays a doctor Who takes a very non religious method in exercising demons by using a gift he has to enter the minds of those "infected" by supernatural parasites and evicting as he calls it, the spirit by making its host realize that the perfect world the demon has created in its dreams is not real.

I was kinda expecting more of a horror movie theme but it's not that. that's what is a little off. It's not scary and it's not trying to scare you (At least I think, cause if it is it does do a bad job of it). It feels more like it's exploring or expanding the concept of a religious-less exercisium with a little background story to keep it interesting and keep it moving.

But it's a good movie to watch.

Fresh surprise to the "exorcist" type ficks

Author: jackmeat from chicago
16 December 2016

My quick rating - 5,9/10. Very nicely told story of a man who can enter into the dreams of the possessed and basically "exorcise" them in a religious way. So he removes the demons from those that are tormented by making them understand in the dream state that the demon isn't real and forces them to let go f their grasp of the host. In this case a particularly nasty evil has taken hold of a young boy and he must again confront the same demonic spirit that killed his wife. My description so far has been pretty poor, I just reread it, but I try to stick with first train of thought. Really a quite good flick that doesn't rely on gore to tell he story. The jump scares are sprinkled in to keep the audience paying attention (and often very unexpected) along with even a twist thrown in just when you have it all figured out. Even with the movies flaws, this is a recommended viewing that will really make you think how much better this could've been if it just got a little more attention. As it stands, it is better than most of the cookie cutter "exorcist" movies that have been littering the STV shelves lately. Check it out.

Not worth the money.

Author: hoodiemusic from Netherlands
2 December 2016

I was bored so I went and saw this movie. I'm lucky that I have an unlimited pass for the theater so the quality doesn't matter. But if you are not so fortunate and you have to pay for the ticket then please. Save your time and go to McDonald's instead.

The movie starts with an super cliché intro. During the film they have more cliché dialog. and the worst part was that halfway thru the movie Catalina Sandino Moreno pulls Dr. Ember aside for a personal conversation if he wants go thru with his research cause it seems so dangerous. This stupid conversation lasts 2 lines. I'm sorry but if I wrote the movie she didn't needed him to pull aside for 2 lines of are you sure?

The only positive comment I can make on this movie was this part when he entered the boys mind and the transition was done with no cuts. yet it was kinda stolen of conjuring 2.

TLDR; It's a movie full of cliché cliffhangers and dialog. Not worth the money. Very badly acted. Just another demon movie with their only help.

Incarnate

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
12 January 2017

Incarnate is basically Inception with a horror angle. Nevertheless, its premise is undoubtedly attractive; Dr. Ember doesn't employ a Christian iconography to pull his "exorcisms" (which he calls "expulsions"), and he doesn't consider invading spirits to be really demons (even though the Vatican thinks otherwise). According to Ember, the possessions are simple infections of psychic parasites, and his mental skills challenge the clichés of the films about exorcisms, offering a more scientific (well, pseudo-scientific) vision which opens new doors of speculation and mysticism. I'm not saying that that is more "credible" than the old standard of Christian demons, but it's certainly a creative focus. Aaron Eckhart credibly expresses Ember's dysfunctional personality, as well as his need to get redeemed for a tragedy in his past. Catalina Sandino Moreno is appropriately ambiguous as an emissary of the Vatican who does believe in demons, and doesn't care about the method used by Ember. And finally, Carice van Houten, Matt Nable and Emily Jackson also bring solid works in their roles. So, Incarnate is a horror film with a well written screenplay and good performances from the whole cast. However, I didn't find it completely satisfactory, due to the weak direction from Brad Peyton, who doesn't show too much enthusiasm for the material, while making the movie languish instead of exploiting with horror and suspense. I think Incarnate needed a much more perceptive director, with solid knowledge about the genre in order to take much more advantage of the interesting concepts of Incarnate, increasing the suspense and enriching the visual aspect. Anyway... Incarnate had the potential of being a hidden gem of modern horror, but Peyton's direction sabotaged the experience to a certain point, making it just be a decent entertainment which makes us think a bit.

A for effort but weak plot

Author: nickijjohnson
11 January 2017

Too many reviews feel the need to offer a summary but I like to go on the assumption you know that by now. This movie was not as good as I thought it would be to be honest. I was excited by the trailer because it looked like an interesting new take on possession films but it was just not executed that great to me. Normally I see films these days and think it really didn't have to be 2 or 2 and a half hours long but Incarnate is the opposite. This movie craved more time. There's a reason why Constantine was 2 hours. The concept was also similar to The Cell as far as entering the subject's mind which can only have so much science in it as it's impossible. However unlike Constantine there's not enough supernatural background information to support the story. It was basically just I have a gift to go into possessed people's minds. Why can he only enter the minds of possessed? How long has he known he could? Are there others like him? What caused this gift? Inate? Or near death experience? Also this Maggie demon (which isn't typical as all angels including the fallen are historically male though I know why they call the demon this name it just sounds inaccurate) so obsessed with torturing him? No reason mentioned. So its not a bad movie at all but it starts out strong and ends weak like a mixed drink. It needed to be longer. It felt so rushed like it thought it was an episode of X-files and had to be done in 45 min. Pretty sure if it had been an X-files episode it would've been a 2 or 3 parter. Also great cast with the exception of the mother. She almost looked bored the whole movie as if her child wasn't possessed. She really needed to take notes from Ellen Burstyn. To sum up its similar to movies that were executed better. Constantine and The Cell to me. Others say Insidious but since I think those movies were crap I rather prefer Incarnate. Two thumbs up for trying to be different but honestly surprised this wasn't a straight to DVD.