IMDb > Before I Wake (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Before I Wake

Before I Wake More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

This was a refreshing return to horror/thriller for me

Author: lonniew from United States
4 June 2016

I only gave it a 9 because I don't believe in perfect scores... There's so much that I love about this movie! and I think the thing that helped is that I knew nothing about it going into it. In these days trailers will often spoil things and change your expectations going into it. If the trailer is cut properly it will really raise your expectations and you could be in for a disappointment.. in my situation I never saw a trailer and only knew the title.

Suffice to say I was VERY engaged in the movie because I had no idea what to expect.. there were many amazing elements, I've always loved the implementation of dreams into horror movies because I myself have nightmares often.. it resonates with me.. this movie pulls that off so perfectly in my mind. I also love the amazing performance the kid who plays Cody gave.

I encourage you to give this one a chance, and try to avoid ANY kind of spoilers you can avoid.. don't watch the trailer, just check it out.

Creative movie

Author: zahraa_shams from Bahrain
10 April 2016

This movie isn't a typical and predictable "happy ending movie", however it has many twist plots and is amazingly creative. I loved the idea at the end and how the ending was a bit open, making the audience think a bit for themselves. Frankly speaking, this story throws a bomb at the end as you struggle throughout the whole movie of sudden terrifying scenes, it's all worth it. Jacob Tremblay is an amazingly talented kid and his acting skills slay in this movie, especially in certain scenes. However, I think in some specific scenes, Kate Bosworth's character and her "husband", lacked showing emotions. I feel that if a bit more emotions were portrayed from the characters, it would've been much more powerful. Overall, great movie, worth the watch! :)

scary and sentimental

Author: Bjorn Diamant Hav
11 June 2016

Imaginative and sad, the movie pulls you in with compassion for the parental figures and the child in the movie. (Which is sometimes underachieved in this genre). Though there are some points of child horror in the movie, I can happily say that for the most part it steers clear of making the child the focal point of fear, we all know how kids are basically living spawn of Satan in horror films. And if you're like me, it's a very tiring trope.

Cody's dreams are beautiful but turn very dark very quickly, the amount of stress the boy feels is understandable and makes him an extremely sympathetic character for the audience. This is one of the first horror films that has successfully made me fear for the safety of a child (Cody) during the story.

The movie plays on the loss the parents feel for their first child and the temptation to use Cody as a way to be with him again. This causes tension between the parents and leads to an interesting conflict between the two. Though I feel the conflict was not focused on enough before continuing with the story.

I feel that the fantasy horror element for the movie is a fine approach. It reminds me a great deal of Guillero del Toro's films. (Think Pan's Labyrinth but with no blood and a few jump scares.) I feel that if you enjoy Guillero del Toro's films, this movie will be an enjoyable experience for you as it beautifully combines fantasy with horror and builds up to a bittersweet ending that leaves you with a bit of an inspired feeling about where the characters may go from where the story leaves off.

Who cares if they got the Genre Wrong! GREAT GREAT MOVIE!

Author: scottamac from Seattle, Washington
20 August 2016

Okay here we go... I am so sick of all the people writing reviews where they pick apart the Genre classification, like that some how makes the content of the movie bad because of their "say-so". Get a damn life and quit being a anal retentive Armchair sycophant. Couldn't you just say they got the sub categories wrong and be done with it. No one really gives a crap. If you think it really matters, Then write to the Studio that produced the film and complain to them. (guaranteed your letter will wind up in the round file") Instead, write a fair review about the actual "Movie" and move on. NOW... I liked this movie, it was done well, great acting ( the kid stole the show in my opinion). Filming was great, suspense slow and grinding, Music was good and the special effects were actual good for this type of movie. It reminded me of the 1984 movie Dreamscape with Dennis Quaid and David Patrick Kelly where he helps the kid with the same kind of problem. Done well and It was great entertainment. Enjoy.

A good film, that is more fantasy than horror.

Author: Anurag-Shetty from India
18 April 2016

Before I Wake tells the story of Cody(Jacob Tremblay). Cody has been moving from place to place because, different foster parents have been adopting him from time to time. Now, he is in the care of, Jessie(Kate Bosworth) & Mark(Thomas Jane). Jessie & Mark soon realize, that Cody's dreams physically appear before them, as he sleeps. The deadly fact is, the same thing happens during his nightmares.

Before I Wake is an impressive film. However, it is not that scary. The jump scares are minimal. The suspense is superbly maintained throughout the movie, by director Mike Flanagan. However, the ending of the film, is disappointing & frankly, slightly silly. The biggest flaw with this movie is that it is not properly categorized. It is supposed to be a horror movie but, it feels more like a fantasy thriller. The script by Mike Flanagan & Jeff Howard is original & unique. However, I liked Flanagan & Howard's previous collaboration, Oculus(2013) better. Jacob Tremblay's performance as Cody, is the highlight of the film. Tremblay continues to impress us with his supreme acting ability, after being lauded for his performance in Room(2015). Kate Bosworth is great as Jessie. Thomas Jane is effective as Mark. Annabeth Gish is good as Natalie. Dash Mihok is awesome as Whelan. Antonio Evan Romero, Kyla Deaver & Hunter Wenzel are amazing as Sean, Annie & Tate, respectively. Before I Wake is not a must watch. Still, it is worth a watch if you have some time to spare.

Interesting ideas played out poorly

Author: venusboys3 from United States
3 October 2016

I've enjoyed Mr. Flannegan's movies before this one. But right from the start Before I Wake got on my nerves. You've got the perfect couple living in an amazing house without any visible means of support. What do they do for work? The kid is ridiculously adorable mini-Bieber with a cutie-pie pout and way of speaking. Perfect perfect perfect. It's pure Hollywood fantasy.

Then there's the usual holes in the think-through of the basic concept. Like, how did the people at the orphanage (or wherever the kid was staying between foster parents) not know about his weird powers? How come no one ever thought to take him to some doctors/scientists to figure out what was going on? (The Exorcist got this part right and was all the scarier for it) How come 'let them go' results in just one release? (though we see multiples coming loose from the roots). How come the wife seems oh so fine with the situation as it stands at the end of the movie?

I get that this is a fantasy movie... but if EVERYTHING is unbelievable/implausible then the fantasy elements are lessened and just more of the same nonsense.

Yes, the movie is well made, the acting is fine. My gripe, as usual, is with the writing... with the way the characters don't behave like real people. Except for a bit of spooky stuff this could have been kids movie about a magical boy living in a magical land full of magic. So my end opinion is, 'Ick!'

i liked it

Author: Sjalka Rjadottir from IS
23 June 2016

This is a very "nice" suspense/horror movie - with a satisfyingly good ending that explains and ties things together neatly. As with most horror movies - i went in without too great an expectation and was pleasantly surprised that i really liked it.

This movie may be a little bit too soppy or "nice" to be classified a real horror movie.

It does not rely much on jump scares. Actually it uses scares only sparsely - and instead goes with story and mystery. The roles of the foster parents are actually nicely done and acted. They are a lot less clichéd than countless other "typical foster parents in suspense/horror movies".

Special effects were alright but not too great - i would have loved to see more practical effects, because the CGI kind of made it look like a rather cheap computer cut-scene sometimes.

All in all - recommended - but not if you are looking for a real scare. Personally i d rather classify that movie as a fantasy story with scare elements.

More of a supernatural drama than a full on scare horror

Author: Adam_West_as_Batdan from Edinbruhhh
24 June 2016

Decent movie, it has a couple flaws in the script (which I can't really point out without spoiling stuff so I won't bother doing that) but the resolution was brilliant and Kate Bosworth pulled one of her better performances as of late so it's well worth seeing.

If you are looking for a horror movie to have you by the edge of the seat the whole time, this is probably the wrong movie to pick but if you want to see something original (as far as horror's goes at least) then this is not that bad of a pick.

So yeah a solid effort with an emotional punch and it also looks very neat visually.

If you liked HALF LIGHT (2006) with Demi Moore and DRAGON FLY (2002) with Kevin Costner then I think this should be right up your alley.

Do not expect a "regular" horror movie

Author: Conny Bengtsson (connyskribent@hotmail.com) from Varberg, Sweden
29 July 2016

This movie somewhat reminded me of "A.I. Artificial Intelligence", a movie that started out like a drama and in the end felt like a fairy tale story. "Before I Wake" has the feel of a horror movie at times, but turns into, albeit a scary one, a fairy tale. The good: The actors did a fine job, especially the two leads. A well written story and the fantasy effects looks good. The bad: The monster did not look very scary, but I guess there is a reason for that in the story. The movie is promoted as a horror, I guess that will leave some viewers disappointed. This is not The Conjuring or Saw. This is a fantasy with some scary elements.

Original, Beautiful Film- Not What You Expect

Author: phaylen from London
25 September 2016

I scored this a 10. Let me tell you why:

Rarely does a film surprise me at all but this film certainly did. Mike Flannigan created an enigmatic speculative on childhood love, loss, fear and death that is both uniquely interpretive and otherworldly fantastical. For those who go into this film anticipating a run-of-the-mill horror film with gruesome effects and bloody deaths, you will be exceedingly disappointed. This film is provocative in that it makes you think and feel throughout. It is at times vastly uncomfortable, but magnificently redemptive. What it achieves is a rare feat- one I would classify more in the realm of Pan's Labyrinth than something like The Ring. What it suffers from is completely misdirected and misleading marketing which has done this gem a huge disservice.

I'd watch it again. I'd recommend it to friends. Refrain from judging it based on the posters or the trailer. It's far greater than it's packaging and will probably be better received by audiences who expect more substance.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]